Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

hondasam wrote: »
    I agree with you totally but I would not do it if I thought it made other people uncomfortable, that's just me.

But what about the men who feel uncomfortable at the sight of your uncovered hair? Or what if you have a pimple and it grosses someone out? Or do you ever wear sandals? Because a lot of people are sickened by the sight of feet.

Or what about people people with facial deformities or obvious physical disabilities? Should they stay inside because there are more than a few people who find dealing with them uncomfortable. I know some people get uncomfortable dealing with the elderly or those with Downs.

Come on. People with ridiculous hang ups should not ever be pandered to. It's not lack of consideration when someone who makes someone else feel uncomfortable just gets on with their lives. It's not being stymied by fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

@ Lethal Lady, your use of rhetoric annoys (but amuses) me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Dudess wrote: »
    Grow the FUK up!!!
    Prepare for "Having a **** is natural but you don't do that in public" derpiness.
    I think she's on a wind-up tbh.

"Ignorant" - lol. Someone needs a dictionary.
    And when it's a retarded opinion, people are entitled to argue with it.

What "elsewhere" would you suggest?
    The claim about everyone else looking shocked is no doubt made up.

Someone needs to get down off their high horse.

You dont agree with the OP big deal no need to insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If I was in a restaurant and some mother started breastfeeding in full view of the place, I'd be surprised more than anything because I'd think/thought most mothers would be uncomfortable breastfeeding in public. I thought they'd look for a baby changing room or something before they'd resort to breastfeeding in a crowded room.

They should be afraid that breastfeeding in public would resort to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IcedJade

To be honest I cannot recall the last time I saw a woman breastfeed in public. I really can't. :confused:

I'm sure it happens :D
    thats because of our backward culture.

I breastfeed my daughter. In the beginning I was petrified to feed in public because I know people look and stare and getting used to this new skill was hard. Also being in the house all day and night was hard. I pushed on and kept feeding. I am so glad I did. I suffered postnatal depression. When it was finally diagnosed I did some research.
    EEG's (Brainwaves) taken of of babies of PND moms where compared and divided into bottle and breast. All bottle feed babies had an abnormal EEG and all breastfed babies had normal ones. They had been protected from the effects of the mothers illness by the regular intimate contact breast feeding provides.

Cheeky girl please inform yourself to the wonders of breastfeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

@LeeHoffman (boards not allowing to quote, stupid boards). Can you defend your usage of the words inappropriate in terms of women breastfeeding in public? How is exposing a fatty area of the body to the world in any way inappropriate?

I thought I explained that in my previous post. I´d see it as appropriate to cover your boobs in public. That you want to feed your baby wouldn´t make it any more appropriate to me because it´s not like some kind of emergency - all it requires is a little forward-planning and/or sacrifice on your part.

btw the ass is a fatty area of the body...are you suggesting it´s appropriate to expose it to the world? (I´m being facetious, in case that´s not clear)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I thought I explained that in my previous post. I´d see it as appropriate to cover your boobs in public. That you want to feed your baby wouldn´t make it any more appropriate to me because it´s not like some kind of emergency - all it requires is a little forward-planning and/or sacrifice on your part.

Your problem - not theirs.

not contested

btw the ass is a fatty area of the body...are you suggesting it´s appropriate to expose it to the world? (I´m being facetious, in case that´s not clear)

Yeh, I'm saying exactly that. I'd even say, shock horror, that it's ok to expose any part of your body to the world. Because the body is nothing to be ashamed of! What's your issue with nudity? And what makes nudity inappropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I think more women should do it and get them out. Even if they dont have a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

@leohoffmann where is the rhetoric that amuses but annoys you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The folks who have a problem with breast feeding just need to go to no-feeding-babies-the-way-nature-intended-restaurants; I'm sure the type of people who'd frequent them would be a great bunch of lads and lassies.

What is wrong with boards tonight? It's telling me I need to have a gold account to view pics too. What is a gold account and where does one get such a shiny thing? :P

Because the body is nothing to be ashamed of! What's your issue with nudity? And what makes nudity inappropriate?
    you assume I have an issue with nudity. Nudity in public is inappropriate because it´s not normal in our culture. Abnormal behaviour is inappropriate - I would have thought by definition - unless there was some very good reason for it.

@leohoffmann where is the rhetoric that amuses but annoys you?
    do you mean that wasn´t a rhetorical question? :eek:

@Leehoffman I'm sure she did plan a lovely day. Planned shopping, being out of the house and a nice lunch while she sat and fed her baby. I bet she didn't plan for looks, stares and ignorance from the surrounding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The alternative to not feeding your child when it's hungry is a crying/screaming baby. Would that be preferable to a baby breastfeeding?

you assume I have an issue with nudity. Nudity in public is inappropriate because it´s not normal in our culture. Abnormal behaviour is inappropriate - I would have thought by definition - unless there was some very good reason for it.

Jesus, would you stick in homosexuality in there instead? I doubt you would. That's a really close minded view of things. It's not normal to do a lot of things but they're not inappropriate either. You mean the "general moral consensus" is that they're inappropriate. But sure that was the consensus on gay people too not long ago.

I would have thought feeding the child in a side-room or using a bottle with expressed milk from earlier or feeding the baby before dinner or not going to a restaurant with a baby that was likely to need feeding were also alternatives?

My position is that it´s unnecessary to breastfeed in public, it´s not something I would ever do, I would be uncomfortable seeing others doing so, but women have the right to do so

• Advertisement

Jesus, would you stick in homosexuality in there instead? I doubt you would. That's a really close minded view of things. It's not normal to do a lot of things but they're not inappropriate either. You mean the "general moral consensus" is that they're inappropriate. But sure that was the consensus on gay people too not long ago.

Exactly. Lack of information breeds foolish behavour. Knowledge is power.

I'm glad the general response is that people don't mind breastfeeding in public/ I'll be wipping em out everywhere on baby two. I'll have that BF law off by heart too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I myself wouldn't be all that comfortable if I was at a restaurant and a lady with a child started breast feeding at the next table for example. I don't find it disgusting or abnormal, I just would rather eat my meal without that.

As another poster mentioned, I also have a thing about children in restaurants and as I know this can't be helped, I refrain from going to such places where parents let their kids run wild around the place.

I wouldnt call myself selfish, narrow minded etc I just know what I'm comfortable with.

If a woman isn't comfortable breast feeding in public- that's her prerogative just like it is mine if I'm not comfortable tucking into a steak with a woman breast feeding at the next table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I never once gave that woman today a filthy look, nor did I pass any comment. I minded my own business. However, I thought it would be interesting on a Saturday night in to have the discussion. Never once did I think it would turn into a "let's all attack the OP thread". You're all entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to mine.

I find it inappropriate to breast feed in public end of. If a woman wants to do it she can do it and I won't say two words but that's how I feel. I would also like to say I am not a prude as some posters have assumed, pathetic assumption for one to come to.

As another poster said it's not life or death "I must breast feed my baby now in this restaurant!" - you can plan. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. People on their high horses here going mad and cursing at others, it's madness. :confused:

Please note; I never said it was "disgusting".

I would have thought feeding the child in a side-room or using a bottle with expressed milk from earlier or feeding the baby before dinner or not going to a restaurant with a baby that was likely to need feeding were also alternatives?

My position is that it´s unnecessary to breastfeed in public, it´s not something I would ever do, I would be uncomfortable seeing others doing so, but women have the right to do so

Unnecessary????????? I'm speechless

@Leehoffmann do you have kids? babies don't slot around your life. You have to be able to go with the flow. Which is why breastfeeding is so great. You're always at the source

Jesus, would you stick in homosexuality in there instead? I doubt you would. That's a really close minded view of things. It's not normal to do a lot of things but they're not inappropriate either. You mean the "general moral consensus" is that they're inappropriate. But sure that was the consensus on gay people too not long ago
    no I think the ´without a very good reason´ clause would cover me on that count. There is a very good reason to have sex with people of the same sex if you´re gay. It´s unreasonable to ask otherwise. But I take your point - helps to clear things up a little. When I said ´inappropriate´ I DIDN´T mean immoral (see previous posts). I would have thought ´inappropriate´ means something like ´contrary to societal norms´??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The baby was consuming food that wasn't bought on the premises, what a cheeky git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Most restaurants only allow you to consume food purchased on the premises.
    If I were to drink milk out of someone's breast I bet they'd tell me to leave. This is sheer ageism tbh.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I never once gave that woman today a filthy look, nor did I pass any comment. I minded my own business. However, I thought it would be interesting on a Saturday night in to have the discussion. Never once did I think it would turn into a "let's all attack the OP thread". You're all entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to mine.

I find it inappropriate to breast feed in public end of. If a woman wants to do it she can do it and I won't say two words but that's how I feel. I would also like to say I am not a prude as some posters have assumed, pathetic assumption for one to come to.

As another poster said it's not life or death "I must breast feed my baby now in this restaurant!" - you can plan. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. People on their high horses here going mad and cursing at others, it's madness. :confused:

But WHY is it inappropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Breastfeeding= doing what nature intended.
    Being a prude=a choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I would imagine like most of us you have taken the odd trip abroad for holidays and such. Did you get offended by the amount of topless women on the beach?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement