Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

OP seriously?
    Firstly, I'm fairly certain that at least every time I have gone to a restaurant there is someone sitting close to me either A) eating with their mouth open or B) speaking with food in their mouth which in fact would be considered "ignorant" & disgusting behaviour and although you didn't say that what the woman was doing was disgusting you have implied it with "...but in a restaurant while people are eating? There's a time and a place".

Should I request that these people are moved to the bathroom to eat their meal? Or perhaps eat their meal at home before they arrive at the restaurant? Kinda defeats the purpose of eating out doesn't it?

I couldn't care less what the people at the next table to me are doing to be quite honest. I don't know why this NATURAL & NORMAL activity of daily living is affecting you so much? Look the other way?? I really can't understand how this affects you? I'm baffled actually :rolleyes:

There is absolutely no necessity for anyone on this thread to justify this woman's actions.

Baby was hungry therefore baby gets fed? It's not rocket science.

No wonder breast feeding rates are so low in this country with ignorant views like your own being spouted on the Internet. Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Anytime a woman wants to get her tits out is fine by me.
    I'd be a bit disappointed that there was a baby's head in the way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was am so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and nobody else gave a fcuk everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating why should little people eat too?

There's a time and a place and that is wherever and whenever the baby gets hungry.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. - I think this question has been answered.

FYP, pity I can't do anything about the fact you ig'nant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

. I thought it was so ignorant.
    Wrong
    This thread is going on too long, just accept it. You are wrong. It is not ignorant to breastfeed your baby.EVER!
    Generally the babies head covers the breast, and the childs head would mostly be wrapped in a nice warm blanket anyway, so unless you were floating above her it should not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I am so going to do this now just to make sure I annoy every person as ignorant as the OP possible. 4 more months till flashing!lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wonder if the restaurant could charge the mother corkage? There is a business opportunity here.

In all honesty, I am shocked by this thread. I feel sorry for mothers who are subjected to this kind of social stigma, for doing what is the most natural thing in the world & shouldn't even raise an eyebrow...

However, I feel worse for the people who have any problem with breastfeeding in public. I think its a sad indication of how selfish our society has become...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

bitty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

I sincerely hope you spend this much time complaining to shops about the state of the woman half naked at eye level on news/magazine shelves, or to advertisers for the tits popping out of the shirts of women on billboards/bus ads/tv ads.

Honestly, what kind of society is this that feeding a baby is some sort of obscene act to be hid in shame, but young girls half naked selling us products is completely normal? Scratch that, women dress inappropriately in the day/night don't make you bat an eye?

Also--- lol to charging the mum corkage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Having a **** is also fundamentally natural but its not really good manners to drop a log while other people are eating. Time and place for everything.

yes. the toilet is for having a ****. restaurants are for eating. i'd say the lady who chose to breastfeed in public chose her time quite carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

You've opened a can of worms now! Every 'wimmin' that thinks it's ok to expose themselves at a table for a 'natural function' is on your ass! And all the men that haven't an iota of individual thought will follow!

Let me be blunt:

I's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table. The same way it's NOT OK to take a dump in a public park - natural function or no. It's NOT OK to cut your hair in Grafton strret and let it cuttings blow in the wind! It's NOT OK to walk around naked at the Spire because a naked body is 'natural'. It's NOT OK get pee eyed in Temple Bar and then vomit on the pavement after because it's a 'natural function' to cleanse your body of toxins. It's NOT OK for a 2 year old to be a noisy and obnoxious brat in a public place thereby reducing other people enjoyment of that place because the parent of such a brat doesn't want to discipline '... my little treasure - little Toby' because the parent is incompetent!

It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table - because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have. Whereas the breast-feeder thinks her views are paramount and that she'll do what she wants with her paps when-ever she wants - why-ever she wants. There's plenty of free space in restaurants these days to breastfeed a baby in private. Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Good on the woman feeding her baby in public. The more often this is done the quicker Irish society will realise it is perfectly normal.

The vast majority of Irish babies are deprived of this perfect food for them

Besides its cool to breastfeed in a restaurant now, beyonce does it! Would you object to seeing her do it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think this is strangely one sided.

I suppose it depends greatly on whether the woman was discreet or not.

If the woman was discreetly breastfeeding then sure, that's fine.

However, if the woman just pulls her boob out and starts feeding with no attempt made towards discretion in a restaurant, I would find that offputting. This is what happened my mother recently, and being no stranger to breastfeeding, she found it extremely offputting - the woman in question just literally opened her shirt, no effort at discretion whatsoever, making her breast 100% visible to all.

I would find that offputting somewhat if I was in close proximity. Discreet breastfeeding I would not, if it has to be done, it has to be done. I've actually never encountered a situation like what my mother was talking about as most women do make an effort to be discreet.

OP didn't really make clear which scenario it was so it's hard to call. But equally I think to call her ignorant and disgusting is a bit much?

There are a lot of 'natual' occurrences and functions that ask for discretion. Like cubicles have doors, using the toilet may be natural but people like a bit of discretion in that regard too. Would you like to walk into a bathroom in a restaurant to see someone on the toilet with the door wide open? Wouldn't that be a little offputting? By the way I'm not directly equating taking a **** with breastfeeding - just the comparison in circumstances surrounding the...'event' as it were. I do think an effort to be discreet about breastfeeding should be made on the part of the mother when in a place like a restaurant.

But I have no problem with the idea of public breastfeeding really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    I's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table. The same way it's NOT OK to take a dump in a public park - natural function or no.
    Totally missing the point. Adults can control their natural functions, while babies can't. We can vary the time and place we do such things; babies can not. This whole question is not about the mother, but about the baby. Just as the baby will take a dump whenever and wherever he/she needs to, the baby needs to be fed wherever and whenever he/she is hungry.

It can be done discreetly, though. It doesn't have to be as blatant as unclipping your bra and plonking an udder on the table ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Did you get offended by the amount of topless women on the beach?
    I said it makes me uncomfortable. Do topless women on beaches make me uncomfortable? If they´re near me, yes

Assuming you're a man, If you wear shorts instead of speedos the erection is more comfortable. A towel can be useful to hide the discomfort. You can also stay in the water until the uncomfortable feeling has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm very shocked by some of the opinions expressed here, genuinely wasnt aware that they existed.

Absolutely no problem whatsoever with a
    Woman breastfeeding her baby in public, none. Finding it difficult to understand the mentality of those here likening breastfeeding to defecating/urinating in public. I can't get my head around that one.

Baby is hungry? Baby gets fed. Love all the "but why can't you just plan ahead posts" clearly coming from people who aren't yet parents. Wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Feeding your child is the most natural thing in the world but popping your tit out at lunchtime in a restaurant is not.

It you look at the women who do this they are invariably tree hugging feminist types who are just waiting for a confrontation.

Lots of women breast feed when they are out and about but you never see it because they are discreet which is the solution to keeping everybody happy.

Eating an activity of daily living is generally considered a social activity. If the woman has come to a restaurant to eat then why is she being shunned off to a toilet to feed her child therefore missing out on her own meal while doing so?
    If the baby was young enough she could be feeding every 2 hours or 'on demand'. If she was to keep breastfeeding to private quarters I'm sure she would never leave the house.

Taking a dump on the other hand ISN'T a social activity.

Comparing breastfeeding & taking a dump is the makings of a really weak argument :confused:

trick wrote: »
    Comparing breastfeeding & taking a dump is the makings of a really weak argument :confused:

I don't agree! :) And - drinking in Temple Bar is a social activity - vomiting afterwards .... is that part of it? :)

It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table -
    this is just incorrect..... it is OK to do this... the law says.
    because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.
    These dont f**king matter. people whose religious views (WTF), social views or hang ups relating breastfeeding should stay at home. they have no legal entitlements. and in all honesty, the wellbeing of a tiny baby, is more important than someones backward notions.
    Whereas the breast-feeder thinks her views are paramount and that she'll do what she wants with her paps when-ever she wants - why-ever she wants.
    that's just juvenile nonsense.
    There's plenty of free space in restaurants these days to breastfeed a baby in private.
    Oh hello- i think this whole thread started coz the lady was b/feeding in a BUSY restaurant...there probably wasn't any space to do it privately... not that it matters.
    Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    this has been covered countless times.... get up and go where???
    Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses.
    breastfeeding is one of the most selfless things a mother can do for their baby... that opinion is just ridiculous and offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Most nursing mothers wear nursing bra,s and so would be very discreet about it,So I would not or never had a problem with it now.But back in the day I nearly fell into my soup when I first encountered it happening :-)

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    Totally missing the point. Adults can control their natural functions, while babies can't. We can vary the time and place we do such things; babies can not. This whole question is not about the mother, but about the baby. Just as the baby will take a dump whenever and wherever he/she needs to, the baby needs to be fed wherever and whenever he/she is hungry.

It can be done discreetly, though. It doesn't have to be as blatant as unclipping your bra and plonking an udder on the table ... :eek:

Yes - you're totally missing the point. Baby can't control itself so baby takes a dump in nappy. Naturally - it happens .... so you change him / her / it.

Do you do it at the restaurant table?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You've opened a can of worms now! Every 'wimmin' that thinks it's ok to expose themselves at a table for a 'natural function' is on your ass! And all the men that haven't an iota of individual thought will follow!

Let me be blunt:

I's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table. The same way it's NOT OK to take a dump in a public park - natural function or no. It's NOT OK to cut your hair in Grafton strret and let it cuttings blow in the wind! It's NOT OK to walk around naked at the Spire because a naked body is 'natural'. It's NOT OK get pee eyed in Temple Bar and then vomit on the pavement after because it's a 'natural function' to cleanse your body of toxins. It's NOT OK for a 2 year old to be a noisy and obnoxious brat in a public place thereby reducing other people enjoyment of that place because the parent of such a brat doesn't want to discipline '... my little treasure - little Toby' because the parent is incompetent!

It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table - because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have. Whereas the breast-feeder thinks her views are paramount and that she'll do what she wants with her paps when-ever she wants - why-ever she wants. There's plenty of free space in restaurants these days to breastfeed a baby in private. Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.

Honestly, this attitude makes me feel sick. Its time for a massive correction in society and in the values people hold...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

I was hoping this thread was started after midnight. I despair.

I don't agree! :) And - drinking in Temple Bar is a social activity - vomiting afterwards .... is that part of it? :)

Your original post read "I don't agree! :)" I never mentioned temple bar & you are deliberately going off on a tangent now so I'll leave you to it chick :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If I was in a restaurant I wouldn't care. I'd be too busy trying to get as much steak into me as possible to notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I love the hangups that some Irish people have. Very entertaining :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Next time the op is in a restaurant and a mum is so ignorant as to breastfeed her baby in her presence perhaps she should indignantly take her plate of food and go sit in a toilet cubicle and eat it there. Perhaps then she might understand why a toilet is not really a suitable place to eat your dinner.

It's a real shame she didn't complain because it would've been good for her to be thrown out for making a mother trying to feed her baby feel uncomfortable. Thankfully we have laws to protect us from prudes like her.

"invariably tree hugging feminist types who are just waiting for a confrontation"
    This is just plain offensive, a shocking and untrue generalisation. Women who choose to breastfeed do so because they know it's the best food for their baby. They know that it's the most natural food for their baby, and that their baby will be at less risk of
    Stomach upsets
    Coughs and colds
    Ear infections
    Diabetes
    Asthma and eczema
    Obesity (being very overweight)
    High blood pressure later in life,

It's attitudes like the ones displayed on this thread that mean Ireland has the lowest breastfeeding rates in Europe. I suppose all the people who have a problem with it would think that it would be better to feed our babies formula, just to avoid inconveniencing the people with the backward notions.
    I'd advise those people never to go on holidays, especially to countries in eastern europe, scandinavia etc... they're a hell of a lot more likely to see babies being breastfed in public there than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Let me be blunt:

I's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table. The same way it's NOT OK to take a dump in a public park - natural function or no.
    How do you compare defecating in public to nurturing an infant? I'm lost how your brain even linked to the 2. BTW as far as I know it's legal to defecate in public if you can't find a toilet but I'm open to correction. The day a mother is charged for indecent exposure for feeding their baby is the day I leave this place.
    It's NOT OK to cut your hair in Grafton strret and let it cuttings blow in the wind!
    I've never heard or seen of anyone ever doing this. Breastfeeding is a regular occurrence.
    It's NOT OK get pee eyed in Temple Bar and then vomit on the pavement after because it's a 'natural function' to cleanse your body of toxins.
    That's an involuntary effect of consuming too much alcohol. There's nothing you can do other than not to drink too much. You can't tell your body not to expel toxins.
    It's NOT OK for a 2 year old to be a noisy and obnoxious brat in a public place thereby reducing other people enjoyment of that place because the parent of such a brat doesn't want to discipline '... my little treasure - little Toby' because the parent is incompetent!
    Well it is and it isn't. It is because they're a child and could be that parents 1st and they're inexperienced. Could be a variety of factors/reasons why they're being a "brat" as you say. You'll go on in your next point to talk about being ignorant to others religious views etc. You're being ignorant to reasoning for such events happening. A list that you yourself have made.
    It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table - because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.
    So a mother has to announce she's going to breast feed? Ask everyone for permission? Make sure it's not against 1 persons religious/moral views? Feck that.
    Whereas the breast-feeder thinks her views are paramount and that she'll do what she wants with her paps when-ever she wants - why-ever she wants.
    They are. Her baby is hungry. There's no grey area. Baby is hungry, baby gets fed. End of. Simple.
    There's plenty of free space in restaurants these days to breastfeed a baby in private.
    Plenty of spaces to avert your eyes. Unless the baby suckles as if it's shoved it's face into a water melon, I don't see anything that would draw your attention to it.
    Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    I'd most definitely see a mother, especially if it's a recent birth, as more delicate than general populace.
    I get the impression you're inclined not to give up your seat on a train/bus/park bench for an OAP, pregnant lady, disable person etc.

For shame.

• Advertisement

It's NOT OK to breast feed in a public restaurant at a table -
    this is just incorrect..... it is OK to do this... the law says.
    ====================================
    No. It's NOT incorrect. Read what I wrote again.
    Its NOT OK to Breast feed at a restaurant table.
    (Legality isn't even mentioned by me). :)

The point of my post is ....

quote "Seems to me that the lady in question - and those that support her - wouldn't want to inconvenience themselves and get off their delicate tush and have a consideration for those around them.
    ......Yep - selfishness is alive and well in these type of 'wimmin' folk in Ireland. .... where their views and ideals have precedence and can trample on everyone elses." unquote

Here .... you prove my point yourself ....

Quote: because the breast feeder has no idea of the mores, religious views, social views or hang-ups that people around them have.

These dont f**king matter. people whose religious views (WTF), social views or hang ups relating breastfeeding should stay at home. they have no legal entitlements. and in all honesty, the wellbeing of a tiny baby, is more important than someones backward notions." Unquote

Breastfeeding women had no legal entitlements until they got them .... but that's ok now .... you have entitlements .... f*.g everyone else? Don't inconvenience your self in any way ... just presume your mores and values are more relevent than those of anyone else. Typical selfishness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement