Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Fantasy Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

PARlance wrote: »
    Tringale was popular for me. A win would have been a nice differentiator but he threw away a few chances. Hoping he gets second on his own. Have Rose too.

Bradley T22 and DJ T43 to pick up a few points. Should move me up in the rankings from 534.

Same points for 2nd as tied 2nd, and very few will have weekley so it won't really matter. Tringale was a very nice pick. Hoping to push into top 50 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 genghis26

Oooh, broke into the top 500. Slightly gutted that I didn't have Tringale, or Triangle as I'm going to insist on calling him, but couldn't quite squeeze him in. Nevermind, onwards and upwards.

Pretty crap that they haven't include the matchplay in the schedule, it actually would've been a good one to have in it as anyone winning their first round match would've ended up in the points (i.e. 17th). No tournament at all next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

Probably would have been difficult enough to pick 6 players for the 10million when you are only picking players that are in the top 64 in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tombenjr2004

What the password for this week folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 genghis26

What the password for this week folks?

No tourney this week as Matchplay is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

hey folks, I applied to join but haven't been accepted to the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 puenteboy

I'm in the same situation. Can anybody help?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tombenjr2004

This week password?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robbo1203

Hi. this week's password has not been printed in todays Irish Times, anyone got any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

puenteboy wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation. Can anybody help?

Should be up to date now

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bressi

Hoylake

• Registered Users Posts: 33 keithap76

Where was Hoylake seen its not in the times today

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

it's on the team changes page on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 puenteboy

rudboy wrote: »
    Should be up to date now

Cheers rudboy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlieoo

thanks for password

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robbo1203

Got an e-mail of apology from Irish Times, seemingly they did post HOYLAKE last week, and it was omitted from the paper to-day, probably due to the Bank Holiday yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 keithap76

denis1501 wrote: »
    it's on the team changes page on the website.

Ah yea thanks

These are the weeks that matter with double points and teams that are quite different. Looking at going with Rose, Spieth, Casey, O'Hair, Furyk and Kokrak (with the first 4 being definites).

There isn't many in the 1.3 - 2m range that I fancy and that's why I went for the one extra dear & cheap combo as my last 2 picks (Furyk & kokrak).

Spieth is a must and I just think going with mcilroy & speith leaves the team too weak elsewhere (e.g mcilroy, spieth, casey, o'hair, hoffmann, hoffman).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Having Rory in at 4m is far too high, makes a bit of a joke of the process.

Team currently set up as follows:
    Spieth, Furyk, Casey, Westwood, Woodland & Hearn.
    Have chopped and changed a few times but I think I'm happy with that. Some form players and some players with form around Sawgrass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bobster453

Same as here with Rory
    Eventually went with Speith Furyk Z.Johnson Strellman O'Hair and Billy Horschel

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB81

Went with kuchar, spieth, westwood, berger, morgan hoffman & matsuyama - couldn't justify mcilroy. have had the tournament winner in my team for the first three events - not as sure I can pull this off this time as the field is so strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

McIlroy, Matsuyama, Spieth, Kisner, O'Hair, and Brian Davis.

Rory being at 4m really did limit the options.

As an aside, how do people work out their teams? Is it based on form, intuition, spreadsheets, bookies odds, golf stats, Eckert picks, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB81

Clauric wrote: »

As an aside, how do people work out their teams? Is it based on form, intuition, spreadsheets, bookies odds, golf stats, Eckert picks, etc.?

So far I've just looked at course form, current form and then a scan of the various fantasy golf picks that the major US golf sites have - don't really look at the bookies odds at all. For the cheaper players its a case of picking anyone who has shown form so far this season - daniel berger and sean o'hair are likely to be regular picks for me in future comps, 1.5mn for the pair of them gives you flexibility elsewhere in the line-up

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlieoo

i went for j spieth j rose p michelson d clarke g mcdowell and no hoper b baird

charlieoo wrote: »
    i went for j spieth j rose p michelson d clarke g mcdowell and no hoper b baird
    Was Clarke not a withdrawal since Tuesday?

BOB81 wrote: »
    So far I've just looked at course form, current form and then a scan of the various fantasy golf picks that the major US golf sites have - don't really look at the bookies odds at all. For the cheaper players its a case of picking anyone who has shown form so far this season - daniel berger and sean o'hair are likely to be regular picks for me in future comps, 1.5mn for the pair of them gives you flexibility elsewhere in the line-up

Same as here, tho I arent even on the radar in the rankings, maybe the leaders could give us a few pointers, tho if I was them i wouldnt

Had Mitsuyama, then switched for Speith, hope I dont rue that tho early days yet( i hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

bobster453 wrote: »
    Same as here, tho I arent even on the radar in the rankings, maybe the leaders could give us a few pointers, tho if I was them i wouldnt

Had Mitsuyama, then switched for Speith, hope I dont rue that tho early days yet( i hope)

I'm top 5 in the boards league (284 overall) so I might be able to blag my way as knowing what I'm doing.

Basically doing the same as ye.... just doing it better :) Getting luckier.

I tend to look at last years leaderboard for any given comp. Golfers tend to be horses for courses. Then I'll see who is currently in form or showing signs of form from that.

The Players is a lottery with it's strong field and tendancy to throw up surprises. I had several different teams picked before settling on this one (which isn't doing great).
    Early days yet, Matsuyama and Hoffman are probably the only two in the top 10 that will be heavily owned.

Rationale for my picks:
    Speith; +3
    Everyone else will have him so he's pretty much a must have.
    Furyk: -2
    Steady performer. Finished second last year after playoff. In form too. He was a banker for me this week.
    Woodland: +7 (bye bye)
    Top 20 here last year and form from last weeks match play
    Westwood +4
    Same as Woodland.
    Hearn -5
    My first round superstar :) picked him because he was cheap and was T6 here last year

Just inside the top 50 myself, finished inside the top 50 3 or 4 times over the years (been playing probably 12 years at this stage I think). Number of different factors I use - there used to be a great free site called smartbets golf which gave you each players course form for about 10 years and their current form this year that was very handy but it's $15 a month or so to use now. Would look at expert's picks a small bit.

Mixture of current form and course form (especially for certain courses) helps me decide. There's always one or two players who will be huge value that I'll pick for nearly every event (e.g o'hair at the moment being 0.5m despite his shocker today). I do use the odds to help guide me in making decisions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Clauric wrote: »

Currently in 4th (boards.ie) on 329 points. I'll mostly do what PARlance does. If I feel I have to pick an expensive player, the next one has to be one of the cheapest available. After that, as has been said, it's horses for courses, mostly.

Advertisement