Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, which one is the best gogo now? I told my friend about catleap and he is interested. He was looking to buy some proper brand for 600eu at Xmas as he did not knew about catleap.

Is it still around 280eu + customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lads, which one is the best gogo now? I told my friend about catleap and he is interested. He was looking to buy some proper brand for 600eu at Xmas as he did not knew about catleap.

Is it still around 280eu + customs?

Most people have been buying either Qnix or X-Star for the last while. Depends what he wants from it really but you can get a 2560 x 1440 monitor from about €250 not including customs. Think the cheapest catleap ive come accross was about €265 including shipping(NOT including customs if you get caught for it though). Thats the DVI model with tempered glass though,only has a DVI connection so the graphics card would have to support dual link dvi to work with it. Models with more connection options are available but are usually a bit more expensive,as are models with glossy and matte screens insted of tempered glass. He would have to decide the following things to be able to get an accurate price for a catleap:

1.Screen type: Glossy,Matte or Tempered Glass

2.Perfect Pixel or non Perfect Pixel.(This just relates to how many dead pixels are allowed,usually max of 3 for perfect pixel and max of 6 for non perfect pixel). A few of us here believe that they dont really check the monitors that throughly before shipping so pixel perfect would have to be a personal decision but can cost €40-50 more in some cases:(

3.Connections: As i stated some only have DVI while others have the ports you would normally expect to see on a monitor as in HDMI,D-Port,VGA etc

4.Then pick a Seller on Ebay. This sounds like it should be simple but policies can change from seller to seller. Some have a 0 dead pixel policy for perfect pixel monitors while others allow 3 dead pixels on a perfect pixel monitor so a little research into which seller would be best for you would be a good idea. Also prices do vary quite a bit from seller to seller for the same monitor. Also some provide free shipping and some do not

I personally went for a qnix dvi model. The reason being it overclocks(Which i havent done yet:() and was cheap at €250 including delivery.

Buying a 2560 x 1440 can be a bit of a lottery though,i seem to have got a good one and most people do but sometimes there seems to be someone who gets a bad one.
    The issue is usually backlight bleed,if you go back through the last few pages of the thread you should see examples of both good and bad! This seems to apply to all the monitors from korea not just qnix.

Personally the BLB would have to be fairly bad for me to think it an issue. I cant see it during normal use:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tell your mate to just buy a DEll U2412M.
    I bought a Catleap earlier in the year,it was nice the higher res nice but put them side by side and the Dell was much sharper and vibrant.
    Thought my eyes were deceiving me so had a number of people check it out and all came to same conclusion.
    DOnt get me wrong, if you simply have to have 1440 they are great but in terms of image quality,colours,vibrancy and performance the U2412M is a better monitor imho.

Dcully wrote: »
    I bought a Catleap earlier in the year,it was nice the higher res nice but put them side by side and the Dell was much sharper and vibrant.
    Thought my eyes were deceiving me so had a number of people check it out and all came to same conclusion.
    DOnt get me wrong, if you simply have to have 1440 they are great but in terms of image quality,colours,vibrancy and performance the U2412M is a better monitor imho.
    Aye, I got 2312hm's myself and those are great. He does want a 1440p yoke. Its his money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Dcully wrote: »

For some people its all about the extra res. I code and screen real estate really makes a difference to me. If you look at this pic...

pstam_acd27_res.jpg

- in Eclipse (my coding environment) I could get all of my ancillary panels (e.g. debug info, console output etc.) into the extra side and bottom space the 2560x1440 monitor gives me, leaving me a full 1920x1200 space purely for my code. As a coder the sharpness and vibrancy are not deal breakers providing I don't notice - and without something like a dell ultrasharp beside it, I don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

I wonder if there's any trusted resellers for these around, never ordered trough customs before, kind of sceptical on return policies.
    Also I see these monitors are sort of "outdated" by now, there are newer models out and few other manufacturers in the market selling at this price. Has anyone got some sort of website that would put all of available models for 27" 1440p 97-120Hz IPS monitors together in some sort of comparison chart or at least a full list? I would love to do some comparison and read reviews before ordering just to be 100% sure I didn't miss anything. I don't really care about 30" 1600p.
    Thanks

raymix wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any trusted resellers for these around, never ordered trough customs before, kind of sceptical on return policies.
    Also I see these monitors are sort of "outdated" by now, there are newer models out and few other manufacturers in the market selling at this price. Has anyone got some sort of website that would put all of available models for 27" 1440p 97-120Hz IPS monitors together in some sort of comparison chart or at least a full list? I would love to do some comparison and read reviews before ordering just to be 100% sure I didn't miss anything. I don't really care about 30" 1600p.
    Thanks
    One thing worth noting is the origin of this Catleap phenomenon. The story goes that South Korea was the location for the manufacture of panels for the 27" iMac and Cinema Display screen. Apple would only take A++ (or whatever) screens so the A+, A, A- ones started to filter down to small SK companies who packaged them up in various types of frames and stands and sold them on. So the whole thing is (or was) based on a specific situation in SK. They were never supposed to be the most modern or the latest thing - they were the 27" apple panel at less than half the price.

I agree though that you need to keep an eye on the market, it may well be that bigger OEM's will eventually start to hit this price point in 2560x1440 displays - but I can tell you having just bought one last week, it hasn't happened yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They all originate from LG. All ips panels are made by lg. This is a common thing with electronics.

Sharkoon rebrand other peoples parts. The sharkoon drakonia is a rebranded perixx mx-2000. The sharkoon skiller is a rebranded zalman keyboard. The Technet x9800 is a rebranded Anker 8000.

I'm sure there's many many more cases like this.

Found something after all to compare different brands:
    http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/
    http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/449537-korean-monitor-guide/

Looks like only catleaps can OC to 120Hz... anything over 100Hz should be fine to eliminate ghosting imo. I love to play old school fast paced shooters (not cod/bf shyte) and it's really irritating to watch objects edges moving as in super bad motion blur.. not sure what's the term for this. Also hoping to get rid off screen tearing even with or without vsync, but that might be driver problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

From what I read it was a certain run of cat leaps that supported 120hz, Im not sure bit i think the QNIXs have better success at overclocking to 120hz

• Advertisement

Only certain older catleaps could be overclocked. You can't get them cheap anymore. The only ones I know of at the moment that can be overclocked near 120hz are the Qnix ones.

There is no way to remove screen tearing without vsync unless you can limit the games engine to render only what the monitor is capable of and even that doesn't work properly most of the time.

You should probably go for a 1080p 2ms 120hz monitor if you want to eliminate these issues.

If you are using an ati card you should use virtu mvps virtual vsync or if it's an Nvidia card it has a similar feature built into the drivers called adaptive vsync.

Cheers, guys, i'll take a look at Qnix.
    I'm using GTX 670 and was planning on SLI from the very start. Adaptive Vsync works with few games, but not all, there's always a trace of screen tear one way or another, the only game I trully got super smooth was Dishonored. Atm using Acer P225HQ for gaming, horrible monitor...

Got import tax bill today,€47.70. With the monitor costing €263 brings the total cost of the qnix to €310 for me.

Bargain:)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

My Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM AH IPS has Arrived,, Plugged it in, wow,, no back light bleed no dead pixels the Colours are Awesome,, the monitor is huge... Without drivers or Anything my crappy work PC picked the monitor up and put it at 2560x1440

Now get it home and start setting the colours and playing games..

The Base and stand are excellent and a really nice build quality, I think well worth the extra Cash
    :-)

kx8f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

My Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM AH IPS has Arrived,, Plugged it in, wow,, no back light bleed no dead pixels the Colours are Awesome,, the monitor is huge... Without drivers or Anything my crappy work PC picked the monitor up and put it at 2560x1440

Now get it home and start setting the colours and playing games..

The Base and stand are excellent and a really nice build quality, I think well worth the extra Cash
    :-)

Looking forward to your full opinion on that, jedi. Do you mind if I ask where you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I've had a U27 and some U30s for several years and they are awesome but really expensive. One tip = keep the boxes+polystyrene inserts+plastic locking widgets, because you really don't want to scratch these if you are moving...

Get them direct from Dell is cheapest if you haggle I find. I think they are trying to clear stock at the moment (maybe of older models), so there are deals to be had. I buy through company so can reclaim the vat, and the dell salespeople are open to haggling and bulk discounts etc.

If you go for the U30xx note that you will probably need to upgrade your desk :)

Donny Got it off Amazon uk for 470 euro inc Delivery to Parel Motel, Once I have it fully setup at home and tested I will let you know everything..

Sysly78.. Yup its back in the box now and thats going in the attic, when its back home,.

srsly78 wrote: »
    I've had a U27 and some U30s for several years and they are awesome but really expensive. One tip = keep the boxes+polystyrene inserts+plastic locking widgets, because you really don't want to scratch these if you are moving...

Get them direct from Dell is cheapest if you haggle I find. I think they are trying to clear stock at the moment (maybe of older models), so there are deals to be had. I buy through company so can reclaim the vat, and the dell salespeople are open to haggling and bulk discounts etc.

If you go for the U30xx note that you will probably need to upgrade your desk :)

I presume you can haggle with them only if you are part of the company, not a private buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There is nothing stopping you from trying. In one instance I saw the monitor cheaper on amazon, so when I mentioned that the Dell salesperson dropped their own price (which was higher).

Dell pricing is madness tho, your luck may vary. I paid more for the 27" than I did for the 30s when I bought them a year later.

Have been using this now a week, and to be honest, I havnt run it through its full paces, and only on a couple of Games so far.

The screen is excellent, I have to admit, I have Ran all backlight bleed tests and Dead pixels (none) and both are perfect, the Colours are amazing to say the least, and most games are running on MAX/ultra/high

So far SWTOR plays perfectly Fine at 2560x1440 on two radeon HD 6870`s Crossfired, doing some raiding and the Lowerest the frame rate Dropped two was 45FPS with a Screen full of stuff but thats Mostly down to the Cards, on Average 110FPS is whats happening, and the colours are amazing they laugh at everything I had before, I find myself standing on Ledges just looking around at everything

Portal 2 dosnt like running at the Res so need to Reduce when I get a chance and have a Look,

Black Ops COD, Looks great, Colours and Reponse Times are outstanding no issues with anything,,

Skyrim.. again the same, and again I find Myself Standing on cliff edges etc looking at things,

Re: colours and presets, there are a number of in built presets ones for Movie and Standard and Gaming. Im using mostly the gaming, I find the Darks are very Dark, and the brights, well bright would be me only niggle.. and the gamma is set at 100%. But I think that is More down the presets and my inbuilt colour presets in Windows, which I havnt had time to look at yet,

all in all I cant recommend this Monitor enough, I have a HD background loaded and my other monitors Connected to compare and its insane( My wife seen it, looked even at our older LCD TV and said Damn it we are going to need a new TV now, thats just too good)

Expensive Yes.. to have no worries or issues with BLB and Dead Pixels, Well worth it, So fair (other than the new Gaming PC) the best investment in ages, and only 470 euro to boot

Would put Pictures up, But there isnt a point, even the HTC One camera Cant do it justive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Have been using this now a week, and to be honest, I havnt run it through its full paces, and only on a couple of Games so far.

The screen is excellent, I have to admit, I have Ran all backlight bleed tests and Dead pixels (none) and both are perfect, the Colours are amazing to say the least, and most games are running on MAX/ultra/high

So far SWTOR plays perfectly Fine at 2560x1440 on two radeon HD 6870`s Crossfired, doing some raiding and the Lowerest the frame rate Dropped two was 45FPS with a Screen full of stuff but thats Mostly down to the Cards, on Average 110FPS is whats happening, and the colours are amazing they laugh at everything I had before, I find myself standing on Ledges just looking around at everything

Portal 2 dosnt like running at the Res so need to Reduce when I get a chance and have a Look,

Black Ops COD, Looks great, Colours and Reponse Times are outstanding no issues with anything,,

Skyrim.. again the same, and again I find Myself Standing on cliff edges etc looking at things,

Re: colours and presets, there are a number of in built presets ones for Movie and Standard and Gaming. Im using mostly the gaming, I find the Darks are very Dark, and the brights, well bright would be me only niggle.. and the gamma is set at 100%. But I think that is More down the presets and my inbuilt colour presets in Windows, which I havnt had time to look at yet,

all in all I cant recommend this Monitor enough, I have a HD background loaded and my other monitors Connected to compare and its insane( My wife seen it, looked even at our older LCD TV and said Damn it we are going to need a new TV now, thats just too good)

Expensive Yes.. to have no worries or issues with BLB and Dead Pixels, Well worth it, So fair (other than the new Gaming PC) the best investment in ages, and only 470 euro to boot

Would put Pictures up, But there isnt a point, even the HTC One camera Cant do it justive

Considering my U2412M blew the my Catleap out of the water side by side im not surprised your so happy with your 27"
    Like you say the colours are just incredible, crank up vibrancy via nvidia control panel and they become even more breathtaking , i set mine to 75% and then use standard or gaming preset for gaming then change to movie or multimedia for browsing.

Did anyone here buy the crossover 27q led-p or any of the other variants?

It has by far the best build quality of any of them with a full metal housing.

It's pricier than the likes of the Qnix but has a superior stand and housing.

Have been considering one for a long time but would like to see how it's been holding up for others.

Any body got any idea what could have caused my qnix to do this?

277291.png

Thats not a picture of my actual monitor but its as close as I could find online. Having trouble recreateing it. The screen has developed a flicker now aswell, especially noticable when theres a white backround. I have a feeling its not the panel its self but something else in the monitor.

Ill have a bit of time tonight to try recreate the problem and ill take a few pics if it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought a 2560x1080 monitor last week (in Ireland), and it's already developed a fault and has to go back - vertical green line down the screen. I know it's just incredibly unlucky, but given that I now need to buy another monitor, I can't help being hesitant about buying a catleap from asia.

As for the resolution, kinda mixed. Great for movies, and certain games look amazing with the increased periphery (BF3 is a great one), but other games look crap - Black Ops 2 does support 2560x1080, but it basically just stretches 1920x1080, which renders it stupidly pointless, and it looks crap. Would've been content enough with it if it hadn't been faulty but now that I've a choice I think I'll go for 2560x1440.

Yeah I was looking at those 2560x1080p monitors. They look great for gaming apart from the poor res support which put me off.

LG need to get the price down on these ips panels so they become more mainstream. They had 0 competition until recently though. Hopefully Samsungs pls panels will push prices of both down. €500-600+ is a bit much.

Komplett.ie seems to have some of the best prices for branded 2560x1440 monitors that ive seen.

Can get the Asus for €509 and the Dell for €489. They have a depot near me so I can pick up so no delivery cost in my case, not sure how much delivery is from them.

Also could run them through flubit and see what price they can get them at

I have been very happy with my qnix until a few issues I start getting the other night. Not sure what it is yet though so could be an easy fix. If not be packed off back to korea and im gonna buy the Asus

I have the Dell, ( See my review a few pages back) got it for 470 inc Delivery,,, And its the best thing I every did especially after the disaster I had with the Qnix

After Comparing the ASUS and the Dell on Many Forums, the Dell came out on top on 90% of the Reviews.. and I have to agree, its awesome

I have the Dell, ( See my review a few pages back) got it for 470 inc Delivery,,, And its the best thing I every did especially after the disaster I had with the Qnix

After Comparing the ASUS and the Dell on Many Forums, the Dell came out on top on 90% of the Reviews.. and I have to agree, its awesome

Where did you get it for that price? €470 including delivery

Did you have to pay shipping to return the qnix?

Amazon.co.uk,,, Have been using a Seller caller Prime (usually Printed in a Blue Font in Capitals) for a few items on my recent upgrade (CPU and DVD Writer and gaming Mouse/keyboard) and Parcel Motel, had to Collect it from the finglas depot,

Parcel motel is great, get item delivered to Antrim , for 3.50 on the Site it gets delivery to anywhere you want, as this was over sized, I collected it as it would cost me 10-15 euro to get it delivered and I work in the city centre so.. Otherwise item get delivered to a local Petrol Station of your choice.

Ordered it on Friday, Was in Parcel Motel for collection the next thursday, :-)

on the Qnix as it was fubarred and they instructed me to try fix it myself And I hammed up the fact I wasnt happy with it and didnt want to have to "fix" it myself and it was manufacturing issue, they got Fedex to Collect and I got a full Refund,. once I kept hounding them about it, minus the Irish import Tax ,. which I can claim back (I noticed the Fedex collection and shipment to Korea was 263 Euro goig back,, gulp, I paid 270 for the Monitor,, go figure) but they where pretty good about it to be honest

• Advertisement

Amazon.co.uk,,, Have been using a Seller caller Prime (usually Printed in a Blue Font in Capitals) for a few items on my recent upgrade (CPU and DVD Writer and gaming Mouse/keyboard) and Parcel Motel, had to Collect it from the finglas depot,

Parcel motel is great, get item delivered to Antrim , for 3.50 on the Site it gets delivery to anywhere you want, as this was over sized, I collected it as it would cost me 10-15 euro to get it delivered and I work in the city centre so.. Otherwise item get delivered to a local Petrol Station of your choice.

Ordered it on Friday, Was in Parcel Motel for collection the next thursday, :-)

on the Qnix as it was fubarred and they instructed me to try fix it myself And I hammed up the fact I wasnt happy with it and didnt want to have to "fix" it myself and it was manufacturing issue, they got Fedex to Collect and I got a full Refund,. once I kept hounding them about it, minus the Irish import Tax ,. which I can claim back (I noticed the Fedex collection and shipment to Korea was 263 Euro goig back,, gulp, I paid 270 for the Monitor,, go figure) but they where pretty good about it to be honest

That Prime "seller" might just be Amazon's Prime premium membership thingy, get free next day delivery on all qualifying items in return for a yearly sub....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Advertisement