Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah they are still great cards and great value for money. A pair of them is perfect for 1440p as well.

What mainboard and power supply do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yeah they are still great cards and great value for money. A pair of them is perfect for 1440p as well.

What mainboard and power supply do you have?

I'll have to get a new mobo. It's an as rock pro 3. Only one PCI x16 slot. In work at the moment but I'm pretty sure it's a 550 watt PSU.

I could pick up to gtx 670s for 215, that's taking into account selling the 7950. It's prprobably less than buying another 7950 all in all. Would it be about the same in terms of performance?

You could get away with using the pro3. There's only about a 10% performance loss but you will need a stronger psu.

700w+

You could get away with using the pro3. There's only about a 10% performance loss but you will need a stronger psu.

700w+

I'd just have to use a x8 slot? Looks like I'll probably hold off getting a 1440p monitor for a while then. Have the money but the girlfriend would kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Well I have dropped the money on a matte qnix. Heres hoping I dont get a dud, or ill be out a fair bit of money after shipping back to korea !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Looking at picking up a 1440p monitor. I've an I5 3570k clocked to 4.2 GHz and an Asus direct CuII top 7950 clocked to 1200 on the core and 1400 memory. What kinda performance would I be looking at with my current setup?

I use the worst 7950 around - XFX
    It's only clocked to 1050 core 1250 mem.

Things like Crysis 3 are a little slow 25-30 fps but other than AA I can turn everything up full blast in all games.

Far Cry 3 plays at about 40-50 fps.

By the time the next round of stuff comes out that'll murder my card I plan on getting another.
    So you could get the screen now and play most things quite comfortably and have a plan to add another gpu later for optimum performance for the most taxing games and those that haven't been released yet.

Gbear wrote: »
    I use the worst 7950 around - XFX
    It's only clocked to 1050 core 1250 mem.

Things like Crysis 3 are a little slow 25-30 fps but other than AA I can turn everything up full blast in all games.

Far Cry 3 plays at about 40-50 fps.

By the time the next round of stuff comes out that'll murder my card I plan on getting another.
    So you could get the screen now and play most things quite comfortably and have a plan to add another gpu later for optimum performance for the most taxing games and those that haven't been released yet.

What kinda settings is Crysis 3 on When you're playing? I might do that then. Pick one up and pick up two 9xxx cards when they come out. Or wait for Nvidia to drop their prices.

imitation wrote: »
    Well I have dropped the money on a matte qnix. Heres hoping I dont get a dud, or ill be out a fair bit of money after shipping back to korea !

You are covered under warranty if you receive a dud. You can get refunds from either the shipper, ebay or paypal.

The monitor would have to get damaged in transit for it to happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You are covered under warranty if you receive a dud. You can get refunds from either the shipper, ebay or paypal.

It seems though that there are subtle differences between sellers on EBay. The 1 year warranty is quite limited from most sellers on ebay and is different from seller to seller. Id like to say that distance selling laws from Ireland apply (as per consumer law)but im not sure they do,and how would irish consumer agency get a small firm in korea to comply with "our" laws?
    For example most sellers sell a "pixel perfect" model yet pixel perfect definition changes from seller to seller. As far as i can see(and ive checked)accessorieswhole are the only seller that really offers pixel perfect,as in 0 dead pixels,the best the rest do is between 0-3 dead pixels counts as perfect pixel so caution is needed in who you order from and what you expect from that seller.
    Also from what i can see almost all sellers take no responsibility for back light bleed,and this is something people should take into consideration when purchasing.

So all im trying to say is beware of the limited liabilities that these sellers take,at least they explain these liabilities though which as far as im concerned is a good thing as long as you are aware of them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id like to say that distance selling laws from Ireland apply (as per consumer law)but im not sure they do,and how would irish consumer agency get a small firm in korea to comply with "our" laws?

None of our distance selling laws apply when purchasing from outside the EU. You can complain to ICPEN about a seller in South Korea, as they're a member, but they're toothless themselves.

• Advertisement

None of our distance selling laws apply when purchasing from outside the EU. You can complain to ICPEN about a seller in South Korea, as they're a member, but they're toothless themselves.

Cool,was not sure of the exact rules around it. Thank you,people just need to be aware what there getting themselve into as regards recourse.
    In saying that ill be ordering one of these monitors soon:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Cool,was not sure of the exact rules around it. Thank you,people just need to be aware what there getting themselve into as regards recourse.
    In saying that ill be ordering one of these monitors soon:)

Yeah, me too. I was looking through the CI consumer rights for just that reason, to see what protection I'd have. Not much is the conclusion I came to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Ah yeah, to be fair its unlikely ill be completely out of pocket. At the same time electronics in Ireland has a 3-10% fail rate, cant imagine this would beat it, so if it dies 6 months down the road, best case is i get a new one minus the 70 quid on post want to return it, plus customs if im unlucky. Worst case is the seller says get lost and im out of coverage.

Thing is I have 3 lcd monitors that are at least 6 years old, its good simple tech and imo lower risk than other electronics.

You are protected by ebay and paypal for a month or so after purchase. If it's faulty and you can't resolve the issue with the seller they will refund you the money. The 3% you pay paypal covers insurance for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Monotype wrote: »
    The ones with the extra ports mightn't overclock, but it hasn't been confirmed. Anyone with one the extra ports try overclocking yet?
    Think danger781 has one but last time I saw a post from him about monitor he said he had not overclocked it yet

I'll try eventually... :o But as others have said they believe its not OCable due to the scaler..

I also have an XStar, despite ordering a QNIX
    AH92 wrote: »
    EHmm usually with fedex I've heard that they send you an invoice a few weeks after the delivery. My monitor was valued at 200 euro so hopefully customs will be around 20-40 :)

Yeah I was billed about a month later.. Can't remember how much.. Looked at the letter, saw I owed them money, tossed the letter somewhere and haven't done anything about it since :rolleyes:

What one should I b looking to get? I'm looking at 2. The qnix or the crossover. Crossover is a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

As mentioned Im looking at moving on and getting a catleap..27Inch,

However Im only running a single Radeon HD 6870 at the moment, if I could pick another up second hand I might try

Worth investing yet? or wait and get the Second card or start working on New GPU`s first?

(reason Im asking is I see a second hand 6870 on adverts going Resonably and Might nab it)

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'll try eventually... :o But as others have said they believe its not OCable due to the scaler..

I also have an XStar, despite ordering a QNIX

Yeah I was billed about a month later.. Can't remember how much.. Looked at the letter, saw I owed them money, tossed the letter somewhere and haven't done anything about it since :rolleyes:

How do you find the upscaling?
    You happy with the monitor overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

How do you find the upscaling?
    You happy with the monitor overall?

I haven't done anything special with it really so I'm sorry I can't go too in depth.

I LOVE the size of it though. I struggle in work unless I have two monitors. :rolleyes:

Trying to watch 720p on it though.. Feels like I'm going back to 480p :(

Guess I'll need to start watching 1080

What kinda settings is Crysis 3 on When you're playing? I might do that then. Pick one up and pick up two 9xxx cards when they come out. Or wait for Nvidia to drop their prices.

I have everything up max except AA which I turn off (but apparently that's not a big deal at 1440p anyway?).

It looks bloody beautiful. You could wiggle around with some settings to get smoother play but it's perfectly playable at 30fps.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I have everything up max except AA which I turn off (but apparently that's not a big deal at 1440p anyway?).

It looks bloody beautiful. You could wiggle around with some settings to get smoother play but it's perfectly playable at 30fps.

What one did you end up getting? I've been looking at the crossover and qnix but don't really know which to go with.

The screens are pretty much the same on all of them so it doesn't really matter. It depends what features you want.

Quality of stand, overclockable, additional connectivity, matte or gloss screen ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Just got a txt from DHL saying to ring them to pay the import tax of 54 euro...Not so bad and the monitor will be delivered today.. Was a quick turn around.. I ordered it Monday evening

Have been following you guys with Much jealously lately,, :-) Wife finally gave me the I dont care anymore look last night, haha
    Am about to fire away with getting this
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-ll-Matte-Perfect-Pixel-27-2560x1440-PC-Monitor-/111088789065?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19dd686649

Running a HD Radeon 6870 but Just bought a Second on Adverts and a crossfire Bridge on same and awaiting on delivery
    Been playing with overclocking my current 6870 all morning and its doing well (topped at 93FPS at 63C one point in msi kombuster)

Worth it? or hang off for a while?Or any issues with the older 6870`s crossfired ?

What one did you end up getting? I've been looking at the crossover and qnix but don't really know which to go with.

I got a Shimian but the general consensus seems to be Qnix as far as I can tell.
    The Shimian can't be overclocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

My Qnix arrived a few hours ago...Just been playing BF3 for an hour and WOW...ÀWESOME`

I had to give my 7970 a bit more wellie to get the 60fps that I like.no hassles there.I just checked for dead pixels...I could NOT find any..Will check for bleed later this evening when its dark
    Apart from the wobbly stand I cant fault this thing at all..(so far)

As Antdub suggested (and As Im to excited and want this now and Cant wait hopefully the two 6870`s will be fine) I have emailed them at accessorieswhole for the ★QNIX★ QX2710 LED Evolution ll [Matte] Perfect Pixel 27" 2560x1440 PC Monitor for there best price,,,

Bounce Bounce.....

Damn just realised its 12.30am in Korea,, :-( hehe

I'd sooner spend the extra for the extra connectivity instead of the perfect pixel model. Screw the overclocking. You're not going to get anywhere near 120 fps in most games at that res anyway.

Accessorieswhole has a good dead pixel policy of a max of 3. The majority of people seem to be getting 0.

You wouldn't notice a tiny dead pixel on a monitor like that.

Does anyone know if the scalar and menu osd increases the latency at all?

Thanks Bloodbath...

by extra Connectivity I take it you mean more ports like HDMI etc ?

• Advertisement

Yah. If you're going to use it exclusively with the pc then there's no harm going with the overclockable dvi-d only model I guess especially if the osd on the other model adds latency which it must do.

Advertisement