Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id be using 2 7950's in crossfire so not sure if that will let me get up to 120fps in newer games (bf4 when it comes out, Far Cry 3 etc) so not sure if overclocking it would be useful to me?

Did the one you get have the scaler and hdmi connection squaredude?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Overclocked mine to 120Hz with no problems.

Yes but is it actually displaying 120 frames per seconds. I have seen so many of these monitors claiming to overclock to 120hz and when they are actually tested they are still only displaying 60 frames per second. Relying on software to tell you what frame rate you are getting is not reliable.

You won't get that kind of frame rate in most games Eoin but there are plenty of titles that you would. It's no harm having it for the games that can and for future builds when the hardware might be able to do that kind of frame rate at that res on even newer titles. The push for 4k resolutions might make 1440p a lot easier to deal with.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You won't get that kind of frame rate in most games Eoin but there are plenty of titles that you would. It's no harm having it for the games that can and for future builds when the hardware might be able to do that kind of frame rate at that res on even newer titles. The push for 4k resolutions might make 1440p a lot easier to deal with.

Never really though of it like that,the PC would eventually catch up to the monitor,probably cause ive spent so much on the PC:P Good advice:)

Ive seen the 4K tellies in Harvey Norman,60" plasma if i recall. It actually looked surreal imo. Kind of cartoony!!

So the jury is still out to a degree? I mean on the overclockability of the Qnix.
    Where im getting a bit confused is there are so may various model of the qnix evolution 2 on ebay,they all say the same native res 2560x1440 yet the prices vary from €240-320 so im struggling to tell the difference:(

Also ive seen this monitor mentioned a few times on tomshardware:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/auria-eq276w-review-ips,3465.html#xtor=RSS-182

Although there seems to be no facility to overclock on the one in above link:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Mine showed up some artifacts when I went up to 120Hz (only very slight) but reducing it down to 100 cleared them out perfectly. I'm assuming it is actually at the frequency it says, but I can't really tell the difference anyway. I might try reducing it back to 60Hz now next time to see if I can see the difference going the other way.
    There's a Qnix with extra connectors as well but there's a good chance that that doesn't overclock.

In terms of quality, I think most of them are much the same. Focus on more important issues such as whether you want matte or glossy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Yes but is it actually displaying 120 frames per seconds. I have seen so many of these monitors claiming to overclock to 120hz and when they are actually tested they are still only displaying 60 frames per second. Relying on software to tell you what frame rate you are getting is not reliable.
    I use this site to check http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

• Advertisement

Mine showed up some artifacts when I went up to 120Hz (only very slight) but reducing it down to 100 cleared them out perfectly. I'm assuming it is actually at the frequency it says, but I can't really tell the difference anyway. I might try reducing it back to 60Hz now next time to see if I can see the difference going the other way.

It's very hard to visually see the difference. It's more that you can feel the difference. Say play an fps game that will do that frame rate and you will notice it in your mouse movements. CS-GO would be a good game to test it with.

Cant remember what game it is but was playing one that gave the option to limit the frame rate. I set it to 90 and the game definitely felt a lot smoother but didnt really look any different

It's very hard to visually see the difference. It's more that you can feel the difference. Say play an fps game that will do that frame rate and you will notice it in your mouse movements. CS-GO would be a good game to test it with.

That's actually what I've been playing lately. I think a better mouse and mat would be needed to test it properly. I'll have those on my next shopping list. I forgot to change it this time, but I'll give it a go at 60HZ ASAP.

Well I played some CS. Returned it to 60Hz beforehand and forgot all about it while playing. Maybe because I wasn't looking for a difference, I didn't see it. I'll just have to accept that it's better. Or it could be an excuse to get another one and try two side by side with different frequencies. :pac:
    Speaking of CS, it looks like they're going down the F2P road soon with counterstrike like TF2 going by the last few updates. Keys and packages and gun skins and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Greetings all,

I have read the whole thread in one sitting (bit dizzy now!), plus theres all the other website threads to go !

I'm considering getting a QNIX or X-Star 27", I got a 23" 120hz LCD last year (Samsung SA700), its a great screen, but well.. its so small ! Even more annoyingly its not wall mountable, so its currently sitting on top of my leaving cert physics book and a few old college books.

It looks like the QNIX/XSTAR have beaten the catleap etc price wise ?

Also are the X-Stars 120hz also ?

I have found this seller from one of the links in the thread, its working out at about €211 but I'm not sure if he will ship to Ireland. Is Dream-Seller reliable ?

I think ill take a punt at it, theres a bit of risk, but I think with LCD screens once you make it past the first few weeks your probably good for years.

I have a GTX670 and a I7 3770, so I'm pretty happy about driving 1440p.

The other option is the 1080 27" brigade, but they all the most viable choices seem to be missing VESA mounts (grrrrr)

Any thoughts ? Gonna sleep on this one tonight have ponder about ordering tomorrow !

• Advertisement

You should consider adding a second 670 if you have the power and board for it. 1440p is a lot more demanding than 1080p.

If you want to keep high/max settings dual cards is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Just got it there today .. Plugged it in and all I get is a black screen :(
    Guess it's going back ... any ideas how much it cost to send back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Are you sure you're using the correct cable type? Have you another cable to try?

Was your card working fine in that connection with other monitors?

It will only work with the dual link dvi-d connection and cable.

yep and yep ..all ready have another catlaep that works fine so was able to swap over the cables.. And I wasn't using the two monitors together either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

yep and yep ..all ready have another catlaep that works fine so was able to swap over the cables.. And I wasn't using the two monitors together either

I see. If you had the same monitor before then I'm out of ideas!

I was sure they tested each one before sending it off. Or, at least that's what accessorieswhole claims to do.

Yea got it off tgvmall
    fecking annoying as I had to take the day off yo wait for it

Could have got buggered in transport.

Any life out of it at all? Is the power brick working?

yep it powers up ( brick and screen ) but all I get is a plain black screen

I know most people are getting there 1440p monitors from ebay sellers in korea but the qnix is on amazon and im just wondering is there any reason people would be buying from ebay insted of amazon? The one ive linked is the dvi-d model and would be about €300 delivered, which seems to be competitive with ebay. Just if a return was nessacery (like in above post^^) was thinkin amazon be easier for rma

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-Matte/dp/B00DW5Z9Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377367866&sr=8-1&keywords=qnix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

EoinHef wrote: »
    I know most people are getting there 1440p monitors from ebay sellers in korea but the qnix is on amazon and im just wondering is there any reason people would be buying from ebay insted of amazon? The one ive linked is the dvi-d model and would be about €300 delivered, which seems to be competitive with ebay. Just if a return was nessacery (like in above post^^) was thinkin amazon be easier for rma

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-Matte/dp/B00DW5Z9Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377367866&sr=8-1&keywords=qnix

you dont deal with amazon for a third party seller so it would be the same RMA process as ebay and its coming from Korea so it will be still open to getting hit with customs

NTMK wrote: »
    you dont deal with amazon for a third party seller so it would be the same RMA process as ebay and its coming from Korea so it will be still open to getting hit with customs

Cool thanks man, was not aware of that. Thought that all charges like customs were applied on amazon. Is there a recomended seller on ebay that people here use or is it just check feedback on sellers?

I reckon I wanna get the one with the upscaler and hdmi

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Cool thanks man, was not aware of that. Thought that all charges like customs were applied on amazon. Is there a recomended seller on ebay that people here use or is it just check feedback on sellers?

I reckon I wanna get the one with the upscaler and hdmi

I bought the dport model from accessorieswhole last Sunday. I believe they're the only one's that stock it. I spoke to them and they said the only thing they stand by is the no dead pixel claim. They WILL NOT accept BLB as a reason for a return.

I was supposed to get it Friday but FedEx fcuk'd up and now I won't have it until next week. So that's all I can tell you for now.

Rob2D wrote: »
    I bought the dport model from accessorieswhole last Sunday. I believe they're the only one's that stock it. I spoke to them and they said the only thing they stand by is the no dead pixel claim. They WILL NOT accept BLB as a reason for a return.
    If
    I was supposed to get it Friday but FedEx fcuk'd up and now I won't have it until next week. So that's all I can tell you for now.

Thanks man, let us know how you get on when you get it.
    Ive heard blb can be an issue alright but as long as its not too bad be ok I suppose

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Thanks man, let us know how you get on when you get it.
    Ive heard blb can be an issue alright but as long as its not too bad be ok I suppose

Apparently there's a DIY method to open the monitor and fix it yourself, but I haven't read too much into that yet.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Apparently there's a DIY method to open the monitor and fix it yourself, but I haven't read too much into that yet.

Ive seen one or two of the lads posting there getting a bit of blb but iirc they were saying had to turn off all the lights in the room to see it so imagine it cant be that bad. Still though at the price there available at cant really expect total perfection.
    Be interested to hear your opinions on it when you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think ill risk it and get a QNIX, one question before I do, has anybody shipped one back from Ireland, and what was the costto do it, these guys seem to be able to do it for 30-40 dollars through fedex. I got a quote from fedex's site, they wanted 190 euro !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Lads who are you getting your QNIX through? Its my birthday next week and the Mrs is going to get me one...

dwighet wrote: »
    Lads who are you getting your QNIX through? Its my birthday next week and the Mrs is going to get me one...

I was wondering the same thing so I went back and scanned through the thread and it seems accessorieswhole seems to be the seller most people are buying off. Im looking to get one aswell. Once you pick the one you want you should email them just to clarify their policy on dead pixels and blb (back light bleed).

From what I can see aswell the matte screen seems to be the one to go for, also there is models with a hdmi, d port and dvi connections and ones with only dvi so make sure your graphics card has the relevent ports for the dvi one if you go for that

• Advertisement

The ones with the extra ports mightn't overclock, but it hasn't been confirmed. Anyone with one the extra ports try overclocking yet?

Advertisement