Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Here's a guide a guy made when fixing his own BLB on his Shimian. Not something you may want to do with a new monitor but with some bad BLB it may be worth trying and the QNix I'm sure is quite similar.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291774/guide-adding-screws-to-the-achieva-shimian-to-fix-back-light-bleed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I have an XStar DPort model, no BLB and no dead pixels from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks Danger781, What Model number and what Ebay user did you get it off?

Thanks

Thanks Danger781, What Model number and what Ebay user did you get it off?

Thanks

I actually ordered a QNIX but an XSTAR arrived in its place inside a QNIX box.. :confused:

I didn't bother following it up in the end as the monitor was pretty perfect.

I ordered from 'accessorieswhole' as they are very fair on price and seem to have a great dead pixel policy (Only 3 iirc, whereas most insist 5).

Didn't bother going with the pixel perfect as I am 100% convinced it is a waste of money.

have been looking at the Crossover Q27 and Xstars on the accessorieswhole user page
    But even the crossovers have a bewildering amount of variaties.. Blade/LG Screen/Gold etc
    Are they overclockable? and a bewildering difference in price`s from 200 -400 ....

already know it will be accessorieswhole I will purchase from, just which one lol...
    Pixels Perfect, yeh I think I know where your coming from on that.

Arghhh just want a 27 inch thats got no dead pixels and no screwed up BLB.. at 2560x1440 thats overclockable to at least 100mhz
    Pulling my hair out lol

• Advertisement

have been looking at the Crossover Q27 and Xstars on the accessorieswhole user page
    But even the crossovers have a bewildering amount of variaties.. Blade/LG Screen/Gold etc
    Are they overclockable? and a bewildering difference in price`s from 200 -400 ....

already know it will be accessorieswhole I will purchase from, just which one lol...
    Pixels Perfect, yeh I think I know where your coming from on that.

Arghhh just want a 27 inch thats got no dead pixels and no screwed up BLB.. at 2560x1440 thats overclockable to at least 100mhz
    Pulling my hair out lol

These monitors are always going to be a gamble.

I went with a QNIX because it was the brand that most people seem to go for and plenty of first hand experience online to read through of people who bought them, tested them, etc. The only other option I really considered was the XStar as it was slightly cheaper than the QNIX as far as I remember. The only reason I didn't go for the XStar originally was because I couldn't find as much information online about them. A lot of people asking about them, but not much in terms of definite responses. I can now tell you that I am extremely pleased.

My one complaint about the XStar - The stand sucks balls. No forward / backwards tilt on it, only side to side, like thats fecking useful to anyone! :pac:

The Catleap in my opinion look sexy and seems to have a much better stand. However the price was off putting as it was a good bit more expensive than the QNIX and coudln't justify the added expense just for aesthetics when it was already so expensive. I believe the QNIX may have been on offer at the time I can't really remember. If I had the time back again I would certainly consider the Catleap as I ended up paying much less in Tax than I originally thought since the seller marks the value at €200 rather than the full price you pay. I believe Shimian was the other brand I was looking at which also looked pretty sweet. :cool:

As for Crossover, didn't look into them to be honest.

On the overclocking note I believe they're all overclockable as long as it doesn't have a scaler, or so I'm told. Results vary from monitor to monitor as I've also read about people struggling to reach 90Hz without noticing some ill-effects, while others have reported getting 140 without issues. I went for one with a scaler for the added connection options because it's just handy to have a HDMI connection for connecting other devices. Also, mine has a built in OSD menu and the standard ones will not.

I typed a lot more than I meant to.

Thanks Danger781 for taking the time to respond,, thats awesome.. Will now cut and paste these points and start looking again
    ( do you have an exact link to the model you got?)

Would this be it?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-ll-DPort-Matte-27-2560x1440-PLS-Panel-DP-PC-Monitor-/121129039490?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c33da7682

Xstar stand=sh1t,, Perfect,,, Yeh read some of the wobbles stories on this thread,

Crossover,, Fair enough,,, and thanks, thats them off the list,. Re-overclocking I have read similar on he overclockers forums

Its either going to risk it with the Qnix or pay more and get a Yamakasi Catleap from accessorieswhole
    now to waste my afternoon trying to make a decision :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only the qnix and the xstar are overclockable, and the catleap 2b but that costs a fortune. Also don't see why catleap is any less of a risk than a qnix.

That google doc at the start of the thread is all messed up now, whats going on with that?
    If you want a spreadsheet go to overclockers, they bought plenty and have one for each monitor AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I got the qnix from accessorieswhole.

Thanks for the guides, Im going to watch the youtube dismantle and make a judgement call after that. Im pretty cack handed unfortunately when it comes to hardware (really more of a software guy)

On the other hand, it seems something the tape fix will work on, its like the screen isnt quite squeezed together right at that point, and little gentle manipulation eases the bleed a lot. I can even see the characteristic ripple you get when you press a tft screen at times. Not sure if its even blb in the traditional sense of it leaking at the cornor, more like polarizer isnt pushed in right.

I gotta say, After playing some kerbal space program Im leaning a lot towards taping.

dark jedi, I would say as others already have, these screens are pretty much all a gamble, from what I understand all catleaps, qnixs etc are factory seconds from samsung and lg that didnt pass muster, its likely many will have some minor issue. My approach was, go for the cheaper qnix to minimize the possible loss. I could have gotten this monitor under the extra pixel perfect deal, but I would feel pretty cheated !

Basically it boiled down to 3 choices for me, take a gamble on the qnix, get a branded & inferior 27" for a hundred more, or pay full whack €900 for a 60hz ips (yeah right!)

Thanks Danger781 for taking the time to respond,, thats awesome.. Will now cut and paste these points and start looking again
    ( do you have an exact link to the model you got?)

Would this be it?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-ll-DPort-Matte-27-2560x1440-PLS-Panel-DP-PC-Monitor-/121129039490?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c33da7682

That's the one yeah. But like I said, I received an XStar in the end.

Not too fussed though. You don't need to adjust the screen too much assuming it is front of you.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah forgot some other points about the qnix,

The speakers are rubbish ! Well beaten by phone speakers these day.

Stand and case are wobbly and pretty cheap as others have said..

The dvi is facing parallel with the screen, if your pc is on your left (like mine) then your dvi cable will have loads of pcb snapping leverage, i used some duct tape to hold the cable against the case to reduce the risk.

thanks Guys,,

Well.. I Jumped and Bought it,,, Same as Danger781 ,,, Now here`s hoping and Praying etc,,,

Cheers folks,, Any lucky charms or Voodoo being offered please do :-)

Good news everybody ! I opened the QNIX and got to the bottom of the backlight bleed. Its not actually black light bleed however, its more of a Bendy Screen Syndrome. I guess the Panel in my QNIX was the last one at Samsung before lunch on Friday. In fairness the Panel is huge and is basically layers of plastic held in metal a bit thicker than a Coke Can, even picking it up alters the colors.

http://imgur.com/7hk8EaH

I left the screen in and poked at the metal shielding until I had figured out where I could apply the pressure to reduce that horrible bleed, It was all quite tame, no flickering of the screen or sparks flying.

I tried giving it a solid press (probably a kilo or two of force) but the screen kind of springs back, it helped a little bit alright. I wasn't really up for trying bend the screen by any large amount..

Then I did a little "tape" fix of my own, putting some on the bezel so it would distort the screen back the right way.

http://imgur.com/0BwXA2B

The end result - It doesn't hugely better here, but the difference in actually use is huge, no more car headlights in dark games !

http://imgur.com/EGQLo0Y

The other fixes I saw, taping the metal frame or adding screws wouldn't have really helped in this case, the light wasn't bleeding from the sides. The QNIX has no spare screw holes. Moral of the story, if your black light bleed is yellow, and is notable altered by pushing the bezel in, its probably a bendy frame.

If I was more skilled and less lazy I'd be pretty confident I could eliminate the yellow bleed completed, maybe I might even do it if it keeps bugging me, but its far less than the viewing angle distortion I used to get on my old 225bw, so I think ill live with it ;)

Wow thats some difference.. Fair play... Give me a little more hope :)

(Remember to hire Imitation when your monitor arrives and its a Mess)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

imitation wrote: »
    Good news everybody ! I opened the QNIX and got to the bottom of the backlight bleed. Its not actually black light bleed however, its more of a Bendy Screen Syndrome. I guess the Panel in my QNIX was the last one at Samsung before lunch on Friday. In fairness the Panel is huge and is basically layers of plastic held in metal a bit thicker than a Coke Can, even picking it up alters the colors.

http://imgur.com/7hk8EaH

I left the screen in and poked at the metal shielding until I had figured out where I could apply the pressure to reduce that horrible bleed, It was all quite tame, no flickering of the screen or sparks flying.

I tried giving it a solid press (probably a kilo or two of force) but the screen kind of springs back, it helped a little bit alright. I wasn't really up for trying bend the screen by any large amount..

Then I did a little "tape" fix of my own, putting some on the bezel so it would distort the screen back the right way.

http://imgur.com/0BwXA2B

The end result - It doesn't hugely better here, but the difference in actually use is huge, no more car headlights in dark games !

http://imgur.com/EGQLo0Y

The other fixes I saw, taping the metal frame or adding screws wouldn't have really helped in this case, the light wasn't bleeding from the sides. The QNIX has no spare screw holes. Moral of the story, if your black light bleed is yellow, and is notable altered by pushing the bezel in, its probably a bendy frame.

If I was more skilled and less lazy I'd be pretty confident I could eliminate the yellow bleed completed, maybe I might even do it if it keeps bugging me, but its far less than the viewing angle distortion I used to get on my old 225bw, so I think ill live with it ;)

Thanks for this. I havnt bothered trying to fix my backlight bleed yet but I might look into doing this now thanks!

Your brightness still looks way too high. Maybe I'm too used to the black levels on my plasma but those blacks look way too bright. I'd play around with contrast, gamma and brightness to try and improve this. I thought ips panels were supposed to have good black levels.

Have you tried using monitor calibration software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BloodBath wrote: »
    I thought ips panels were supposed to have good black levels.

No one of the main weak points of pls and ips is black levels.
    Their strong point is colour accuracy.
    Are you thinking of VA panels? They have great black levels.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Your brightness still looks way too high. Maybe I'm too used to the black levels on my plasma but those blacks look way too bright. I'd play around with contrast, gamma and brightness to try and improve this. I thought ips panels were supposed to have good black levels.

Have you tried using monitor calibration software?

Its at its eye searing max there alright. There is only backlight/brightness control on the screen itsself. Ill get calibrating tonight, I do hate it though as it is a lot of guessestimation. My cousin does have a spider calibrator, maybe i will get a loaner of it.

As for opening the monitor, its not the worst, open 4 screws, lightly pry around the bezel with it laying on its back (so the panel doesn't flop out out and break a connector. The video linked above is great

You can leave it on if you to see what effect your tinkering is having. Look out for shorts and dont do what I did, ram in and out the dc power connector (it can arc)

Did a little calibration, apparently the QNIX is good anyway, the main thing is to press the brightness - button 16 times and stick on a color profile. It looks more natural now, less eye popping. I tried taking a picture, but the camera just isnt as senstive as my eyes, when the movie picture looks about right the black light bleed is invisble.

Either way, its a gorgeous screen and I would recommend it to anybody whos willing to take a gamble (and do a little prying). I was looking at other 27" 1440p screens, it seems they are still starting at about 500 quid. The 27" 1080ps are pretty cheap now, but to be honest, my 23" 1080p looks low res to me now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Did a little calibration, apparently the QNIX is good anyway, the main thing is to press the brightness - button 16 times and stick on a color profile. It looks more natural now, less eye popping. I tried taking a picture, but the camera just isnt as senstive as my eyes, when the movie picture looks about right the black light bleed is invisble.

Either way, its a gorgeous screen and I would recommend it to anybody whos willing to take a gamble (and do a little prying). I was looking at other 27" 1440p screens, it seems they are still starting at about 500 quid. The 27" 1080ps are pretty cheap now, but to be honest, my 23" 1080p looks low res to me now !

Hmm, you have me questioning myself, imitation. Having seen your photos, even your fixed images, I more or less ruled out a QNIX given how poor it looked, but now you have me thinking again!

• Advertisement

I don't think his choice of low quality movie did it justice.

You have to see a game in all it's glory to see what it can really do.

Hmm, you have me questioning myself, imitation. Having seen your photos, even your fixed images, I more or less ruled out a QNIX given how poor it looked, but now you have me thinking again!

Oh the images are only representative of the bleed, not of the actual quality ! For non dark content it looks brilliant (dark scenes look fine now too). If you check out this review you'll see its the same panel as some really nice high end monitors.

That's a great detailed review.

Gonna pull the trigger on one of these myself soon I think.

Its an exercise in futility to post pictures of a high res monitor, but I feel like I owe it to the QNIX after all those grainy low ISO pictures demonstrating the bleed !

Skyrim

Far Cry 3

Borderlands 2

Yeah.. they really dont look all that great..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

Does anyone know if you can buy a power brick for the yamakasi catleap q270 in dublin? Got my monitor last year and every now and again it loses the image and fades to black. Once i unplug the powerbrick and dvi cable from it and plug them back in it works for a whole day until i turn it off.Then i have to do the same process again each time to get it to work. I have already replaced the dvi cable so now its either the power brick or monitor itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Ok hello everyone. Im 33, I'm new to Boards.ie, I'm into PC gaming, I have 2 baby girls, I live in Westmeath. I am lvl 15 in BF3 :( and am looking for a new monitor. :D

This thread intrigued me enough to read a lot of the pages and seriously consider buying one of these monitors. Can someone answer a few questions? And really sorry if these were answered earlier in the thread but there is too much to read through...

1. Ive been on to Dreamsellers Ebay page and saw this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Yamakasi-Catleap-27-2703-LED-IPS-2560x1440-WQHD-Monitor-Tempered-Glass-/221080056100?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item337965f124

and I think its looking good but why are there huge price differences between the monitors advertised? Another one that I thought was fairly similar was over 500? I would prefer a Matt finish but at this price, is this one I linked good to go? It seems to have everything I need except the swivel Stand to portrait but I will buy a stand separately if I need it later.

2. Do you guys have a preference as to which brand is more popular or does it matter? What do I need to look out for and why?

3. On a separate note, where do I go to find people to "friend" to play Battlefield 3 with? Im sick of playing on my own! :D

Ok I too got drunk and ordered it straight away... WHEEEEE!

The Red wrote: »
    Ok hello everyone. Im 33, I'm new to Boards.ie, I'm into PC gaming, I have 2 baby girls, I live in Westmeath. I am lvl 15 in BF3 :( and am looking for a new monitor. :D

This thread intrigued me enough to read a lot of the pages and seriously consider buying one of these monitors. Can someone answer a few questions? And really sorry if these were answered earlier in the thread but there is too much to read through...

1. Ive been on to Dreamsellers Ebay page and saw this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Yamakasi-Catleap-27-2703-LED-IPS-2560x1440-WQHD-Monitor-Tempered-Glass-/221080056100?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item337965f124

and I think its looking good but why are there huge price differences between the monitors advertised? Another one that I thought was fairly similar was over 500? I would prefer a Matt finish but at this price, is this one I linked good to go? It seems to have everything I need except the swivel Stand to portrait but I will buy a stand separately if I need it later.

2. Do you guys have a preference as to which brand is more popular or does it matter? What do I need to look out for and why?

3. On a separate note, where do I go to find people to "friend" to play Battlefield 3 with? Im sick of playing on my own! :D

1. As far as I can gather, price differences are pretty much attributable to seller competition, differences in courier used, and I'm guessing demand. The catleap is a pretty popular name now, so I'm guess its caused the overall price to inch up. They are also dependent on Panels from the LG factory, I'm guessing the number of A- Panels that can be provided will vary from month to month, and eventually they'll go out of production.

2. There are actually a good deal of Korean company's doing this, but there are only a few I have seen mentioned on forums. From what I have read, Catleap, Shimian and crossover all use LG Panels, QNIX and X-Star Use Samsung Panels. The QNIX and X-Stars apparently are generally good for overclocking to 120hz,the Catleap is a bit more variable.

3. Try the battlefield forum

Did you buy the screen off dreamseller ? I was thinking of getting a QNIX off him, but he was saying Shipping to Ireland is approx $20 more. He was still cheaper than the others, but I was too lazy to make extra payments and sort it all out with him.

1. As far as I can gather, price differences are pretty much attributable to seller competition, differences in courier used, and I'm guessing demand. The catleap is a pretty popular name now, so I'm guess its caused the overall price to inch up. They are also dependent on Panels from the LG factory, I'm guessing the number of A- Panels that can be provided will vary from month to month, and eventually they'll go out of production.

2. There are actually a good deal of Korean company's doing this, but there are only a few I have seen mentioned on forums. From what I have read, Catleap, Shimian and crossover all use LG Panels, QNIX and X-Star Use Samsung Panels. The QNIX and X-Stars apparently are generally good for overclocking to 120hz,the Catleap is a bit more variable.

3. Try the battlefield forum

Did you buy the screen off dreamseller ? I was thinking of getting a QNIX off him, but he was saying Shipping to Ireland is approx $20 more. He was still cheaper than the others, but I was too lazy to make extra payments and sort it all out with him.

Hi imitation. I went for a qnix from green-sum. It was a link from someone earlier. (There was two links together? Cant remember who posted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

The Red wrote: »
    Hi imitation. I went for a qnix from green-sum. It was a link from someone earlier. (There was two links together? Cant remember who posted)

I got mine from green sum...DHL was the courier and 54 euro was the import charge which had to be paid before delivery.

Advertisement