Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Think danger781 has one but last time I saw a post from him about monitor he said he had not overclocked it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Monotype wrote: »
    The ones with the extra ports mightn't overclock, but it hasn't been confirmed. Anyone with one the extra ports try overclocking yet?

which one did you get and from who???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I got mine from redcap (could be a _ in there, I can check if you need to). A matte Qnix. No extra ports.
    Very little bleed and no dead pixels, so I'm happy enough very happy.
    I'd say there's not a whole lot of difference betweeen the sellers in terms of the product - they're most likely to be all getting the same thing. It's more the return stories and support that you'd be most interested in. I just went with that seller because they were the cheapest at the time (that had a reasonable number of sales/feedback) even though they weren't the biggest well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Got a Perfect Pixel model with no extra ports from accessorieswhole. beutiful matte screen no dead/stuck pixels stand is on par with the catleaps. very little BLB

mine ocd to 120Hz but i cant really tell if im honest

I was looking at the one with extra ports just incase I decided to use it with a console?
    Or would that even work?

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    I was looking at the one with extra ports just incase I decided to use it with a console?
    Or would that even work?

It should work but i have no idea how it would look. i planned for a console with my second monitor as a 720p feed doesnt look that great up close on a large monitor so ive a 24" with enough inputs that was cheap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

The ones with the extra ports mightn't overclock, but it hasn't been confirmed. Anyone with one the extra ports try overclocking yet?

As I understand it, the presence of a scaler means you will not be able to overclock the monitor.

For me, the option of being able to plug in multiple devices is worth more than an overclock. Let's face it, its not often you'll be running many games at +100fps. 60hz should be just fine for most people. In fact, someone who isn't used to looking at 120hz probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in most situations.

And why is everyone buying matte screens? As someone who has owned both types, I can, without a shadow of a doubt, say that glossy makes for a far nicer display. Matte just looks cheap and tacky.

Agreed about 60Hz/overclock alright.

As for matte screens - gloss screens are fine if you have perfect light conditions. It's a nightmare if you want some natural light in the windows. Also matte is more fingerprint friendly.

Rob2D wrote: »
    And why is everyone buying matte screens? As someone who has owned both types, I can, without a shadow of a doubt, say that glossy makes for a far nicer display. Matte just looks cheap and tacky.

Glossy screens look better but imo glossy ips are a touch to sharp for my liking. the matte on the ips seems to take that edge away from the screen while not effecting the colour range and my pc is in a place take gets hit with sunlight all day so matte is preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Agreed about 60Hz/overclock alright.

As for matte screens - gloss screens are fine if you have perfect light conditions. It's a nightmare if you want some natural light in the windows. Also matte is more fingerprint friendly.

+1 if your room has windows (other than tiny ones) you will have a constant glare with glossy. I have a semi glossy and a matte side by side and the difference is huge blinds open.

• Advertisement

I personally was thinking matte as the pc is in the sitting room and the large windows let in a lot of natural light so glossy could be a problem for me in that sense.It actually already causes issues with my current matte screen

Ye im struggling with the 120Hz thing because my current 1080p monitor is only 60Hz. I usually cap frame rate and 90 using v-sync if I can and get a steady picture with no screen tear. I dont have an issue with that, but then again as said above I have no experience with 120Hz so dont know what id be missing. Also as rob2d said with so much being spent on the monitor for me it would be nice if it had multiple uses rather than just the PC.

Although I would still have the 1080p monitor so could use that for everything else aswell as second screen. Might do a better job with consoles aswell as its only 23"

My God! So many people that allow light into their gaming spaces!

SACRILEGE :eek:

My God! So many people that allow light into their gaming spaces!

SACRILEGE :eek:

Ha, more of a space issuee for me, pc wont fit anywhere else in my crummy 2 bed house:(
    Maybe I should be spending this money on upgrading my house:)

Wonder what sort of performance id get if I crossfired 2 x 2 beds:)

Anyway, probably gonna order this week or next.
    Going to new york next week and I know its gonna kill me when I see the prices over there....

I got mine from redcap (could be a _ in there, I can check if you need to). A matte Qnix. No extra ports.
    Very little bleed and no dead pixels, so I'm happy enough very happy.
    I'd say there's not a whole lot of difference betweeen the sellers in terms of the product - they're most likely to be all getting the same thing. It's more the return stories and support that you'd be most interested in. I just went with that seller because they were the cheapest at the time (that had a reasonable number of sales/feedback) even though they weren't the biggest well known.

Is this the puppy im after then?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Express-New-QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-27-PLS-Computer-Monitor-Matte-/140997037695?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20d4140e7f#shId

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

Got my perfect pixel option qnix from accessories today at around half 9, Was shipped last tuesday. Will post some pics of it up and running whenever my pc gets built either today or tomorrow just waiting on a few parts :D

AH92 wrote: »
    Got my perfect pixel option qnix from accessories today at around half 9, Was shipped last tuesday. Will post some pics of it up and running whenever my pc gets built either today or tomorrow just waiting on a few parts :D

Any notice of customs charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

EHmm usually with fedex I've heard that they send you an invoice a few weeks after the delivery. My monitor was valued at 200 euro so hopefully customs will be around 20-40 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭seklly

I ordered my Catleap through amazon.co.uk, did't get charged for any customs but was probably just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Amazon already have the vat cost included in the price. That's why it cost's more there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I know this isn't related to the S Korean monitors.. but it's certainly interesting

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-q2963pm-ultra-wide-review,3591-11.html

Great for watching films on

• Advertisement

dwighet wrote: »

That's the one. Don't forget that there's customs on top of that. Can be €30-70 going by most accounts.

Right, so no thanks to FedEx I finally got my Dport model today.

I couldn't test it with a PC as my build won't be ready to go until my 7990 is in stock at overclockers. Soooooooooooo I hooked up the PS3 as a testbed. Note that this is only an overview and I left the plastic on the screen.

It detected the PS3 straight away and went right into 1080, however it did automatically go to 4:3 so I switched it over to wide. First thing I did was to hold down the PS button to go to the black screen menu.

From here I could see no dead pixels, not one. Unfortunately I do have some BLB down the bottom. And if I lean back I can see that it clouds up towards the middle of the screen. That said, its certainly not as bad as what some Qnix users have suffered and it could have been much worse.

After this I watched some HD Netflix which looked quite good. I think the brightness on this monitor may be turned up a bit too high by default. Or perhaps its just my years as a plasma viewer have made me very picky about my image quality:D The BLB was not noticeable during my viewing.

Moving on I decided to play some Trine. The resolution really is quite impressive as it made Trine look like a PS1 game. Gameplay responded fine but if I was thinking I should have played some Street Fighter to see if I could gauge any response time or lag issues.

The menus are simple and easy to navigate. Strangely the up arrow's default function is to change aspect ratio. So if you want to turn the volume up you first have to press the down arrow once and then up.

As for hardware, the stand is ****ty and so are the speakers, but they serve their intended purpose well enough. The tilt function of the stand is a lie. What it means is that the monitor is tilted back a bit when you screw it into the stand.

First impressions? I guess I'm fine with it. Bit disappointed about the BLB but as I said it could have been worse. When my build is finished I'll test it at 1440 and I'm sure I'll mess with the brightness and colours to see what I can get out of it. I might also look into the BLB fix to see if its a practical thing to do. So I'll talk more about the monitor again in a couple weeks.

Oh, one more thing to note. You DO NOT get an adapter plug so be sure to have an extra/spare power cable ready when yours shows up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Moving on I decided to play some Trine. The resolution really is quite impressive as it made Trine look like a PS1 game.

Images that are not at the native res will look slightly blurry because of scaling. Because of interpolation a 1080p output will look bettter on a 1080p native res screen than a 1440p screen.

tuxy wrote: »
    Images that are not at the native res will look slightly blurry because of scaling. Because of interpolation a 1080p output will look better on a 1080p native res screen than a 1440p screen.

Yes, I'm not stupid. Its impressive insofar as I've never seen anything bigger than 1080 before. And watching it struggle to fill a screen was pretty cool.

Just clicked `BUY NOW`
    Looking forward to its arrival me is...:D

@Rob2D Did fedex say anything about customs charge?

Wonder if the brightness was up high from when they tested it for back light bleed. I messaged them to ask how they test it and they said in a dark room with different colors on the screen. Id say it would have to be fairly excessive for them to not sell it.
    Glad your one seems like a good example and thanks for the report on it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Looking at picking up a 1440p monitor. I've an I5 3570k clocked to 4.2 GHz and an Asus direct CuII top 7950 clocked to 1200 on the core and 1400 memory. What kinda performance would I be looking at with my current setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes, I'm not stupid.

I'm not where you got this from my post. Not everyone knows what interpolation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Looking at picking up a 1440p monitor. I've an I5 3570k clocked to 4.2 GHz and an Asus direct CuII top 7950 clocked to 1200 on the core and 1400 memory. What kinda performance would I be looking at with my current setup?

A single 7950 will struggle with graphically demanding games. You really want dual cards for 1440p to make the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

BloodBath wrote: »
    A single 7950 will struggle with graphically demanding games. You really want dual cards for 1440p to make the most of it.

Ah right fair enough. Would there be much point in buying a second 7950 so late on? AMD should be releasing new hardware soon. Also, would I fit two of those cards?

Advertisement