Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Pretty good result considering we were down to 10 for most of the second half. Great crowd at The Cross tonight and an amazing atmosphere, hopefully that continues on wards for the season. Thought City played okay in the first half and pretty much deserved the goal. Nice header from Buckley to finish. Second half, we were poor. The red card was gonna happen with the ref being as card happy as he was tonight but we held on well to get a point. Elding is some tank of a player, did well at holding the ball up tonight and had a good game. Kearney put in a great shift, ran for absolutely everything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 jdawson

5,322 att tonight.

Very good although thought might have been few hundred more. Ok performance still lack a creative player
    Good crowd alright, I thought it was more too, and a good night's entertainment despite only drawing. We've got a lot of players to come into the team yet once they get over knocks and get up to speed, and already we look much more solid defensively.

It's definitely John Caulfield's team, all the positive attributes that you'd associate with him, the intensity, urgency, commitment, passion, work rate, and attacking nature is all there.

If we keep playing like that I've no doubt this will be a successful season and the crowds will keep coming in droves. It was a good first run out against the Champions, I think we'll improve over the next few weeks as the season sets in.

The amount of Cork lads in the team is fantastic, 18/25 of the squad are from Cork, that excludes adopted Corkonians like Dan Murray and Danny Murphy. There is serious competition all over the pitch as well so if someone isn't performing there are plenty of options to come in.

The ref and his officials were a disgrace (as was Christy Fagan up front for Pats), they seemed determined to ruin the game with the amount of yellow cards and the sending off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great result considering the sending off, I would have taken draw before the game. Super turnout. A lot of players to come in. Saw enough to think 4th or 5th should be a very realistic target. Ref was a pure joke - Fagan looked as if he was on ice skates - spent half the night on his arse looking up at the ref complaining, not a nice player at all.
    All in all, happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Looking forward to going to a more games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Great effort by the lads. Couldn't fault them. I thought Dunleavy played poorly, but he still gave his all. I think he was trying too hard to show that he's the man in charge on the pitch, and got punished for it. He should've walked for a second yellow five minutes earlier. He should've been taken off after that - any subsequent foul was going to get a yellow for persistant fouling. But still, everyone gave their all. Elding was constantly running along the forward, chasing things down, our midfield cut out plenty of Pats passes, Dennehy and Kearney made the full backs work very hard, Dan Murray won everything in the air, Lenihan was great on the overlap. It was great that we didn't just sit back - Pats were always harassed when on the ball and didn't get it easy. This is what we need to do all season.

Fantastic crowd. I think we'll have 3,000+ for Bray and if we beat them, get a result against Derry before them and beat Athlone, we'll have another near-5,000 crowd against Rovers.

5,322 att tonight.

Very good although thought might have been few hundred more. Ok performance still lack a creative player

And, according to a Board member, Pats fans' tickets weren't scanned until half time. So, there were probably close to 5,600 at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Regarding the crowd,according to Wiki,Turners Cross holds 7,485 all seated.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turners_Cross_(stadium)

Looking at pictures,the place looked packed last night with the official attendance being around 5,322.To the people who were there,was there ~2,100 free seats?.

Pics here of crowd last night(post no.99)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057160693&page=7

Was it possible there was a lot more than was said?

Great to get a big crowd all the same.

Regarding the crowd,according to Wiki,Turners Cross holds 7,485 all seated.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turners_Cross_(stadium)

Looking at pictures,the place looked packed last night with the official attendance being around 5,322.To the people who were there,was there ~2,100 free seats?.

Pics here of crowd last night(post no.99)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057160693&page=7

Was it possible there was a lot more than was said?

Great to get a big crowd all the same.

The two middle sections of the St Annes End were closed off, so that's a thousand off the capacity straight away. Pats had about 300 fans in a section that holds 560. There were odd seats in the middle of packed rows, which latecomers, particularly in groups, wouldn't have gone to. In the context of the entire ground, those seats add up.

If the Pats fans weren't scanned until half time, bringing the attendance up to 5,600 is fair, I think. Fantastic crowd, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Going mad I missed last night. All the more as I have a season ticket and will miss at least another 2 home games.

Positive result against a proper side though. I heard some were whinging after but whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I reckon it was around 5700-5800. In fairness not every seat was taken. Just few here and there, but there was easily 300 people standing too.

Was just great to see near full house. Be great if Cork could average at least 3,500 to 4,000 at least a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Very good crowd there last night. Decent match aswell. A draw was probably the fairest result. We were quite poor when ye went down to ten men. Good luck for the rest of the season except for when ye are against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The two middle sections of the St Annes End were closed off, so that's a thousand off the capacity straight away. Pats had about 300 fans in a section that holds 560

Love the trip to cork, wish I could have made it an overnight myself, as it was bus didn't even arrive in time to have a pint in the horseshoe.

Noticed the huge divide between us and the home section in the St Anne's end, surely it only needs to be one section? Appeared to be advertising hoardings up in the section too so looks like that's the plan from there on in.

One of the pats buses broke down, as did it's replacement, so that was another 50 odd off the attendance.

Love the trip to cork, wish I could have made it an overnight myself, as it was bus didn't even arrive in time to have a pint in the horseshoe.

Noticed the huge divide between us and the home section in the St Anne's end, surely it only needs to be one section? Appeared to be advertising hoardings up in the section too so looks like that's the plan from there on in.

One of the pats buses broke down, as did it's replacement, so that was another 50 odd off the attendance.

Ya I agree 1 section should be plenty.

Best of luck to Pats too.

Think draw was right call. I actually thought we played better with 10 men. Think it kinda woke us up, we might have lost if 11 v 11 cause Pats were getting on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

First City game I'd been at in years. Great atmosphere, decent game and not a bad price. Hope to make a fair few more this season.

That big divide is probably done out of convenience. It's been years since we've had such a big crowd to warrant them being opened, so they just haven't been, so they were handy for cheap, effective segregation.. Now, they're only used for hoardings and as replacements for broken seats in the rest of the ground. The first block of the Derrynane Stand (the small one to the left of the away section) is usually closed off, as well, but seemed to be full, without any segregation. Not that any was needed last night, mind you.
    First City game I'd been at in years. Great atmosphere, decent game and not a bad price. Hope to make a fair few more this season.

Home to Limerick in the Cup on Monday. Really looking forward to it after last night. If we got half the crowd back, we'd be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

i hope the food inside the ground gets better too paying top dollar for ****e

Eat before going. It's always been disgusting overpriced shîte tbh.

gimmick wrote: »
    Eat before going. It's always been disgusting overpriced shîte tbh.
    Yeah, better off eating beforehand if you can, if you want fast food before/after the game Dino's is probably the closest to the ground, followed by Zico's.

Very rarely get food or programs in the stadium. Think got chips twice in all my time going Cross.

I did buy Program on Friday night as usually just get first one for season for fixtures and squad numbers.

My God the program is crap. 3 quid and every second page is advertising.

I try get something before game and if I dont I get something in Lennoxs on way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Mystery why food is still ****. I mean the supporters own the club now and things are still the same.

It seems like such an obvious thing but it is a negative of the match day experience.

• Advertisement

The fans running the club has nothing to do with it. It is the MFA who take the bobs for it and the Horseshoe takes the money for the stall at the Donie Forde. It all comes down to who will pay the rent.

Also, so called nicer places may not be bothered getting the facility to do mobile food. And even if they did - look at Burdocks in Tolka and Dalymount. Utter mank, but a real Burdocks is really good.

And lets be honest, football grounds are not known for their fine cuisine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I do think better matchnight food would bring in some money but it requires a forward investment and I doubt the club could do that right now. In 2005 we had crap food but a great team and the crowds came. We need likewise this year, then we can worry about the food.

Hopefully good result tonight now again

Hopefully good result tonight now again
    Good night for a game of ball, I think we'll put a few past Limerick tonight.

jdawson wrote: »
    Good night for a game of ball, I think we'll put a few past Limerick tonight.

Ya hopefully.

Looking forward to it.

Just great to go from work head home bite to it and head to game.

Makes a Monday little better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A very nice 4-0 win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads any one know or have an app that actually gives team line up erics for LOI and not just full time scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Live Score Addicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Live Score Addicts

I have that. Ls addicts with the brown logo and white football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

just over 1000 there tonight.

Advertisement