Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

gimmick wrote: »
    Fair play to a very successful management team. It does concern me how few players actually make it to the first team though.

Since 2010
    Brian Lenihan
    John Kavanagh
    Garry Buckley

Only those 3 I would consider hits. The likes of Stephen Kenny and Rob Lehane I hoped would push on but did not happen.

It's the law of averages really huge gulf between u19 and first team premier not only in skill level but also physical strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Thats 4 titles in 5 years for City u19's, incredible success.

The step up to senior LOI football is huge, bigger than you know, so no matter what the team is you are only ever going to get 1 maybe 2 players make the step up. This year I can see Connor Ellis and Chiodozie Ogbene make it to first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya fair points.

Ogbene there is definitely high hopes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats 4 titles in 5 years for City u19's, incredible success.

The step up to senior LOI football is huge, bigger than you know, so no matter what the team is you are only ever going to get 1 maybe 2 players make the step up. This year I can see Connor Ellis and Chiodozie Ogbene make it to first team.

Both these guys are doing their leaving cert in 2016 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

We also had Alan Browne who would've been a first team player but was picked up by Preston before we got the chance to start him.

So, that's a first team player every year from the U19s. Which isn't too bad, really. You can't bring everyone through, so if you had, say, the best three going through to the squad every year to give us decent cover and one of them becoming a regular starter, that's a decent return. In a little over a decade, you'd have the potential for the entire first team to be made up of underage players. Obviously, we can't rely solely on it, but it shows the big impact that it can have in the team, when supplemented by a few key imports. In a few years, it's very possible that over half of our first team could be made up of U19 graduates. The U17s and the U15s when it starts will really improve things, as well. It'll give us an extra four years to see what the best young players are like and it'll give them an extra four years of playing at the top level of Irish youth football. It'll give us a bigger share of the compensation if they leave out of contract, too.

You only need the odd player like Lenihan going for six figures and the underage setup largely pays for itself, with the potential of getting us more via sell-on/appearance clauses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Happy Christmas to all city fans. I feel 2016 will be our year I feel that for the last two years running we have easily been the 2nd best team in ireland and with Dundalk losing towell i am confident we will do it thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

hman231 wrote: »
    Happy Christmas to all city fans. I feel 2016 will be our year I feel that for the last two years running we have easily been the 2nd best team in ireland and with Dundalk losing towell i am confident we will do it thoughts ?

Not sold on us improving yet. Big turnover of players will need too see a few games first as I don't think dalk are a one man team. We thought when Hoban left they'd collapse too. Hopefully we get another 2r3 good body's in before bohs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Fair play to a very successful management team. It does concern me how few players actually make it to the first team though.

Since 2010
    Brian Lenihan
    John Kavanagh
    Garry Buckley

Only those 3 I would consider hits. The likes of Stephen Kenny and Rob Lehane I hoped would push on but did not happen.

Anthony McAlavey was down with Waterford as well and I think Cobh have picked up a couple along the way.

It's hard for these young fellas to break into the Senior team, particularly in the 'key positions' down the middle of the field where there are experienced players operating. Very few managers are willing to take a chance on a young fella when results are king. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Some of these fellas become disillusioned then and drift back to MSL or local Junior sides where they're guaranteed game time.
    Craig Donnellan has been the kiddy in the 19s' for the past couple of years but is he going to get in ahead of any of our current senior midfielders ? As a manager would anyone here have the cajones to put him in there? Likewise Conor Ellis and Chiedozie, although I do think that those two could make the breakthrough before Craig.

Edit: P.S... Incidentally 5 of the Limerick squad that we beat in the 19s' final have played with their Senior team. 'Smaller' clubs can do that, not sure that we'd get away with it.
    hman231 wrote: »

Towell is a massive loss to them but they still have a powerful squad. IMO it's up to us to up our game and not depend on them coming back to meet us. If we start well I think we can do it but we need to treat every game like a cup final and stop dropping the stupid points that have cost us previously.

Maca is going back too Waterford next season I belive but currently playing with Mayfield in the Msl

We go again.

Dundalk in the President's Cup at the Cross this Saturday afternoon at 2pm. Bohs at home the following Friday, usual 7.45pm (live on RTÉ).

Some new lads which seem to have performed well in pre-season, so will be interesting how they do in the league. Going from reports about the squad, we seem to be stronger this year, so we can succeed where we've fallen the last two seasons? Would be great to finally win it after the disappointment we've seen.

I'll enjoy the buzz of a new, upcoming season for now. You never know how long it's gonna last.

• Advertisement

I'll be heading along on Saturday but not overly worried about the outcome, at least it'll give us a test against a much higher level team than the likes of Cobh and Limerick.

Bohs on Friday is the big one, reckon we'll get well over 5 thousand for it again but the club need to start pushing it the minute the Dundalk game ends. From what I've seen in pre season, we are absolutely a better team than last year, so with that, I'll be bold and say we'll beat Bohs 4-0 on Friday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Plus Dundalk are minus Towell this season - should be as valuable as a new signing for us.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Plus Dundalk are minus Towell this season - should be as valuable as a new signing for us.

Dundalk will be very strong again this year, but losing what, 25 goals last season and countless assists is going to have some sort of affect on them. Besides, we shouldn't be hoping that Dundalk lose players so that we can get to their level.

I think its going to be wide open this year, last season was a very poor one for the league, bar ourselves, Dundalk and maybe Rovers, there was little to no quality in the league. This year I think everyone is after strengthening, the strugglers will be Finn Harps, Wexford and Longford, but everyone else will take points off each other. I see another final day showdown on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

City will be their about again this year but the league needs serious investment the best player in the league by a mile can't even make the squad of a championship club in England. All clubs and supporters need to pull together on this and put pressure on the fai. The league is in a very bad place besides city a few times a season the attendance is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭.red.

How much are tickets for the cross lads? Are some games cheaper than others. My 6 year old asks to go the odd time and id love to bring him to a few games. Id loose my patience with him tho if i brought him the 40odd mile round trip, spent a few bob on tickets and had him ask to leave 5 mins after ko when his sweets are gone, just like the liverpool game last year.

.red. wrote: »
    How much are tickets for the cross lads? Are some games cheaper than others. My 6 year old asks to go the odd time and id love to bring him to a few games. Id loose my patience with him tho if i brought him the 40odd mile round trip, spent a few bob on tickets and had him ask to leave 5 mins after ko when his sweets are gone, just like the liverpool game last year.
    Maybe bring him too the family enclosure part and get involved in the chants and waving flags etc? Might help if the football doesn't entertain enough...... The adults cope with this by consuming copious amounts of alcohol before and after games :)

.red. wrote: »

No categorisation, but tickets are a reasonable price at €15 for adults and €5 for children. If there were four of ye - two adults, two children - family tickets are €32, so a decent saving. Maybe you could bring along one of your young fella's friends and his parent?

I'd echo Mr Mac about the Family Enclosure. It's one of the best things about the club. Run by really genuine people and always viewed positively by fans, young and old, that go there. They give out sweets/rice krispie cakes etc., Corky the Cheetah is usually hanging around and they have drums, which they allow the kids have a go off. So, plenty to keep a child's mind occupied. At six years old, your young fella mightn't really care about the match, but he'll love the Family Enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lads I'm going to City games 2 years regularly but I have no idea where the family enclosure is. Where in the ground is that? Thinking of bringing the small fella to a few games next season.

rob316 wrote: »
    Lads I'm going to City games 2 years regularly but I have no idea where the family enclosure is. Where in the ground is that? Thinking of bringing the small fella to a few games next season.

Cornor of the main stand towards the St Anne's end. You'll spot all the kids with the flags etc up there

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

the full game from Turners Cross today if anyone wants to see it. Or if you just want to see the goals go to 39:50 & 1:41:11, also the row just before half time is at 1:04:25

• Advertisement

Great win today and nice too break JC's hoodoo over Dalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Excellent result. Kudos to the lads. Great to start the season with a trophy.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dundalk didn't look like they were interested at all. But it was still important to win and a good performance. Had it not been for their keeper it could have been 6-7.

The most important thing is getting the Dundalk monkey off the back. Hopefully that bodes well for the season.

Bolger looked a class act. Just hope he can go a few games without being booked. Could easily have walked yesterday.

Beattie was like a man possessed when he came on. I think he will be very important for us.

Dooley looked OK also as did Browne and O Connell.

Bring on Bohs. Put in a performance like yesterday and the real season is off to a flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Dundalk didn't look like they were interested at all. But it was still important to win and a good performance. Had it not been for their keeper it could have been 6-7.

The most important thing is getting the Dundalk monkey off the back. Hopefully that bodes well for the season.

Bolger looked a class act. Just hope he can go a few games without being booked. Could easily have walked yesterday.

Beattie was like a man possessed when he came on. I think he will be very important for us.

Dooley looked OK also as did Browne and O Connell.

Bring on Bohs. Put in a performance like yesterday and the real season is off to a flyer.

I disagree about Dawk not looking interested. You don't pick up 5 or 6 yellows and have a man sent off if you're not interested in winning the game, and Stephen O Donnell shouting in the refs ear all game.

Agreed Beattie was great when he came on, Dooley and Turner were both quite poor imo

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

rob316 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Dundalk were well up for it and when things weren't going their way they acted up, both players and staff on the sideline. Without getting too carried away, I think City are a much stronger team this season, some of the football on Saturday was fantastic. Of course, none of this matters if we dont beat Bohs on Friday night but Im as optimistic now as Ive ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Football on view by city was impressive check out the number of passes for the first goal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win. Clean sheet. Top of the league tonight! That will do nicely !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Maguire was quality tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He certainly was, when you think of the players not starting tonight, we have some very good options this year.

Advertisement