Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The gap is too big. At best it will be down to 7. Dundalk won't drop 8 points more than us for the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

gimmick wrote: »
    The gap is too big. At best it will be down to 7. Dundalk won't drop 8 points more than us for the remainder.

Agreed. City should concentrate more on winning cups now.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pos087

Worztron wrote: »
    Agreed. City should concentrate more on winning cups now.

I agree. I Just hope resent results don't have an impact on attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Pos087 wrote: »
    I agree. I Just hope resent results don't have an impact on attendance.

They obviously will but thats just the sporting publin in Cork in general. Be lucky to get 2500 for Galway tomorrow night.

Galway at home tonight. Like the Limerick game it is one we should be winning very easily. But we all know what happened there :rolleyes:

Munster are also at home at 7pm, so parking tonight should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Galway at home tonight. Like the Limerick game it is one we should be winning very easily. But we all know what happened there :rolleyes:

Munster are also at home at 7pm, so parking tonight should be fun.

I know they bought houses near too stadiums but having both teams at home really is crazy, I'm residents, publicans etc would much prefer them different nights and have a better spread of people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We win, Pats lose , Dundalk get an equaliser in 94th min, happy enough with that.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    We win, Pats lose , Dundalk get an equaliser in 94th min, happy enough with that.

Pity Dundalk got an equaliser. Realistically Shamrock Rovers are the only team that can take 2nd place from Cork City now. Derry did us a favor in beating Pats.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

European football looking good at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Monday will be huge CCFC Pats. And Rovers Dundalk. All we can do is get the three points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

2nd be good -dundalk are just to good as shown by their results in europe.
    crowd was 2500 thats down to johnnys appalling style of play.

hes taking us as far as he can even though hes done a great job.

i look at micky adams getting the sligo job and wonder could city have got an ex premiership manager like him-you need a guy that has managed at a higher level to get the club to the next level -thats what dundalk done with kenny having been scottish premiership getting them to cup final in all.

if theres not a new manager in it shows foras are happy with not being at the next level -the dundalk level.biggest fan base in the league is there.will foras take a gamble-no way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Thought we played some lovely stuff last night. Some great balls forward for the wingers to latch onto. Clearly upped the tempo after Billy came on for Miller. Was a very good ball over his head for him to run onto and he did very well to control it and bury it. 1-0 really flattered Galway - with the chances we had, it's a wonder we didn't get four or five.

What is it that we need to get to the next level, though? Is it down to the manager or is it a money thing? No manager in the world could get the likes of Towell to join us at the moment, because we simply don't have the money to offer him that Dundalk do.

It is improving, though, a lot of which is down to European money, I'd imagine. During the week, Sheppard signed a two year extension. So, he's effectively on a 2.5 year contract at the moment. I think this is the longest contract we've given a player since around 2008. That shows we have some financial security and it's huge to be able to tie down our better players to such long deals so early. We have a number of players contracted until the end of 2016, as well. That's vital for the long term planning of the squad, when you have most of your best players tied down in August. It allows us to concentrate more on new signings/youth players, rather than the situation of having 90% of the team out of contract and spending the winter just trying to hold onto what you have. If we can keep getting into the Europa League at a minimum and play in a round or two, that'll bring big prize money and allow us to keep challenging consistently and up our game bit by bit.

A little over a year ago, Sligo felt that Baraclough couldn't take them to the next level, so they sacked him. They've been in freefall since, going from a team challenging for the title and cups to relegation dogfighters. Be careful what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

With crowds of 6000 if you are doing well city have way more resources than dundalk -that contract for shepperd is the longest in the league -i would reckon if city went for towell they could get him his contract with dundalks up soon id say.

With crowds of 6000 if you are doing well city have way more resources than dundalk -that contract for shepperd is the longest in the league -i would reckon if city went for towell they could get him his contract with dundalks up soon id say.

Towell would be a superb signing alright.

If we were getting that regularly I might agree, but we've had two 6,000+ attendances in the last two seasons. Our average attendance is about 3,500. That's not a huge amount more than what Dundalk get. They also seem to have a consortium putting in money and they don't have the six figure expenditure that we have to pay for Bishopstown and the Cross every year. They were able to outbid Shamrock Rovers for Towell, so it shows the kind of money that's going around up there. I'd say he comfortably earns more than anyone in our squad.

Still doesn't mean that we can't get good players, though. Billy, Sheppard, Beattie, Kavanagh etc. are all very good players that are good enough to play in any team in the country. We have the spine of a very good team and we're not a million miles away from where we want to be. Consistent European qualification will give us the resources to go that little bit further and we'll also have training facilities that will be the envy of the league. We may not win the league this year, but in the long term, I'm very optimistic about our prospects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

3 more points, a draw or away win tomorrow please!

Rovers will be going all out for sure. lets hope

Dundalk 2 up I think it's time to call it a day.

Ya I think thats that now, really needed Rovers to win that.

The most annoying thing is that Dundalk were'nt even that good tonight, if Shamrock had any balls they would have got something out of it.

Anyway, as you said time to call it a day, make sure we get that Europa League spot and try win the cup. Recoup and go again next year. We are close, it will happen in the next few years and when it does its going to be fantastic.

Pity, but at least it gives us a bit of a cushion in second. Dundalk can afford to lose in Tallaght and the Cross and probably draw elsewhere and still win it. We could realistically put it to the last day, if those two losses happen and we win all our matches. With Dundalk at home to Bray at the end, they'd still win it comfortably, but it'd be nice to at least have a bit of final day excitement again.

In fairness to City, we're on course to match our points total from last year (72), which would win the league most years (eight from the previous ten, I believe, adjusting for a 33 game season). Dundalk have just been that bit better, but a points total in the 70s won't always be runners-up.

Disappointing, but sure, still Europe and the cup to play for. If we finish in second and followed it up with a win in Lansdowne, it wouldn't be too bad.

• Advertisement

8 Point gap just take it one week at a time we need to put in a good performance against bray Saturday still all to play for just need to get consistency between now and the end of the season. Dundalk have Sligo who will be gunning for points against them, just need to keep on going once we keep the pressure on they will slip at some stage. And we still have them at the cross if we can narrow that gap down a few points before that game then it'll be the decider whether dundalk walk it or it comes down to the wire

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Pity, but at least it gives us a bit of a cushion in second. Dundalk can afford to lose in Tallaght and the Cross and probably draw elsewhere and still win it. We could realistically put it to the last day, if those two losses happen and we win all our matches. With Dundalk at home to Bray at the end, they'd still win it comfortably, but it'd be nice to at least have a bit of final day excitement again.

In fairness to City, we're on course to match our points total from last year (72), which would win the league most years (eight from the previous ten, I believe, adjusting for a 33 game season). Dundalk have just been that bit better, but a points total in the 70s won't always be runners-up.

Disappointing, but sure, still Europe and the cup to play for. If we finish in second and followed it up with a win in Lansdowne, it wouldn't be too bad.

Good point about the points total. Also if you take out the head to head against Dundalk we are not that far off winning the league. Possible need to find 2 or 3 players for next year to bolster the squad. Madly seems to be getting better with age if we played 2 up front and had some one with him who pitched I with 12 to 15 goals a season plus billy scoring the same we should have enough going forward. We need a left back and possible right midfield imo wind us the league next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Beattie looks fine for RM

So which do we prefer, because one of these will happen

1. Guard of honour for Dundalk as champions when they come to the Cross
    2. They win the league at the Cross.

Ill go for 1. I think if they won it at the Cross there would be murder.

So which do we prefer, because one of these will happen

1. Guard of honour for Dundalk as champions when they come to the Cross
    2. They win the league at the Cross.

Ill go for 1. I think if they won it at the Cross there would be murder.

Absolutely No.1, but I wouldn't be suprised if its No.2. Don't think there would be murder, theres so many Guards at TC these days a small army wouldn't be able to invade. I was laughing at the Pats cup game actually, they had what seemed like 15 riot cops up to watch over about 60 Pats fans haha. Loads of OT for the lads.

Thast that newish sergeant at play. Got to make sure all the drunken "soccer" fans are kept in check.

There was 5 Guards in with the 13 Pats fans last Monday, I felt sorry for the Pats fans after travelling all the way down to be treated like that. The problem with country guards are they havn't a clue how to handle a football crowd.

Some week of Soccer. Ireland Gibraltar friday ccfc bray saturday and then ireland georgia monday. Better be three wins

hman231 wrote: »
    Some week of Soccer. Ireland Gibraltar friday ccfc bray saturday and then ireland georgia monday. Better be three wins

Most likely.

• Advertisement

Poor draw, really needed to win, no ground lost as Sligo got a draw and shams drew too.

Advertisement