Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭tgdaly

CBS reporting fewell has been fired.

Adam schefter reported it on twitter too

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12131798/perry-fewell-new-york-giants-defensive-coordinator

Yup, and confirmed on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455098/article/perry-fewell-out-as-giants-defensive-coordinator

Peter Giunta also out as secondary coach. Have to say I'm delighted with the u-turn. I think a new coach with new ideas could really turn our defense around next year with a few players back from injury. Even if we get injuries again next year at least it freshens things up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We still need to resign JPP, get a stud beside Hankins, upgrade at LB and get a Safety.

Fewell didn't help the defense in the end but ultimately we still need to upgrade the defense by quite some bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Very surprised to see Fewell go. I wonder who the decision came from?! Nice opening for a Sexy Rexy now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Beckham makes the Pro Bowl in place of injured Calvin Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Lot more positive about next year now

• Advertisement

Also, talk of Spagnuolo coming back as DC. Not sure I want that at all, tbh.

Its probably just obvious media speculation, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Report: Giants want to interview Raheem Morris for defensive coordinator http://t.co/G9otroTnlI

interesting considering how bad Redskins were at C and S this year

has had some success in Tampa tough

Reports of spagnola been interviewed now in the ny post

Reports of spagnola been interviewed now in the ny post

I don't see the logic behind removing Fewell for Spagnuolo at all. The former is still better, in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't see the logic behind removing Fewell for Spagnuolo at all. The former is still better, in my eyes.

Ive been trying to think of a coordinator who would actually make a difference to the defence and i dunno who i want to see get the job
    Someone that would bring plenty of fresh new ideas but i just don't know

Ive been trying to think of a coordinator who would actually make a difference to the defence and i dunno who i want to see get the job
    Someone that would bring plenty of fresh new ideas but i just don't know

I see reports on Nfl.com that Pepper Johnson, Bills defensive line coach, is rumored to be interviewing Monday. That wouldn't be a bad hire would it? Bills D-line was one of the best if not the best in the league the last year. Has worked as a linebacker and defensive line coach for the Patriots before that since 2000, joined the Bills January 2014. So obviously must have picked up a few things working under Bill Belichick, former Giant as a player as well. Never worked as a DC before though. But as you say, may have plenty of new ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Spagnuolo more or less confirmed as the new DC

wawaman wrote: »
    Spagnuolo more or less confirmed as the new DC
    Thanks for that wawaman, ye it's confirmed

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459310/article/giants-hire-steve-spagnuolo-as-defensive-coordinator

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Obviously we won a Super Bowl with him as DC, but he hasn't had any success since then. Failed as a HC in St. Louis, and as a DC for the Saints. It's a safe hire, but is a safe hire really what we needed?

I don't really see it as moving forward, myself. In his defence, no pun intended, that Saints year was when the bounty gate scandal happened, and Spags ended up missing the likes of Vilma through suspension for the year.

Not a fan of that hire to be honest. It wreaks of jobs for the boys. We took a chance on McAdoo last year and that started to reap some dividends by the end of the year.

I would have liked to see a new name and someone who would run a 3-4 D as I think we are ripe for a switch over with the likes of JPP, Hank, Bromley, Kennard & Moore all being ideally suited to it IMO.

I know I'm easily amused, but this made me laugh :D

IWChucn.jpg?1

As Schedules go... Not bad.

social-2015-opponents-580.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    As Schedules go... Not bad.

social-2015-opponents-580.jpg

A 9-7, 10-6 could be realistic here?

• Advertisement

Congrats to our offensives rookie of the year. Blew the oppositIon away :D

Nice to see that Zack Martin finished 2nd (a very distant 2nd) as well, always good when the unseen work gets rewarded

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Giants' first first Rookie of the Year since Lawrence Taylor.......and he did it in 12 games!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ann mara the matriarch of the mara family who are the owners of the giants passed away this morning.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ann mara the matriarch of the mara family who are the owners of the giants passed away this morning.

Died due to complications after she slipped & fell on the ice a couple of weeks ago.

Funny lady

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Congrats to our offensives rookie of the year. Blew the oppositIon away :D

Nice to see that Zack Martin finished 2nd (a very distant 2nd) as well, always good when the unseen work gets rewarded

Completely forgot about the awards last night!! Well deserved OBJ I'm delighted he won, roll on next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Anyone know anything about the CFL and Brett Jones. He is an OL signed from the CFL

wawaman wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the CFL and Brett Jones. He is an OL signed from the CFL

No, unfortunately but definitely going to read up on him now and see what I can find.

Always find the CFL to NFL stuff fascinating to watch.

Instantly finding positive stuff like, "CFL's Rookie of the Year in 2013 and Offensive Lineman of the Year this past season" and, "Brett Jones' former CFL teammates and position coach call him an 'offensive coordinator' on the field".

You would expect that though for him to be worth a roster place, or even a practice squad place.

He plays center and guard it seems.

His head coach, and this probably has something to do with it, is former Giants OC, John Hufnagel.

May never amount to much in the league, but I can't help but find it exciting.

Was reading a bit on big blue view, he seems well worth a look. They compared winning the CFL lineman of the year to the Outland award in college so might not be the worst signing.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Was reading a bit on big blue view, he seems well worth a look. They compared winning the CFL lineman of the year to the Outland award in college so might not be the worst signing.

Exactly. Not like our o-line can get any worse. I'm happy to take a punt on him, worst case scenario is we cut him and never look back. Best case could turn into a solid starter

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gPCjojaDQ

be interesting to see how he gets on with no difference in the line of scrimmage

Advertisement