Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

tgdaly wrote: »
    I truly think we are only 2 or 3 players away from a top offense. A couple of linemen to go with the guys you mentioned and maybe another receiver or tight end to go with OBJ, Randle, a fit again Cruz and Donnell. I think Donnell has shown enough and Jennings in the run game when fit, Williams can still progress and has shown flashes of being good. I'd still like to see more from Randle though

Randle is a massive disappointment for me. He is being easily outshone by Parker. I do think we need another weapon to go with OBJ/Cruz/Donnell. I can't see us using our top 2 picks on O however as our D needs serious work.

We also need a bit of a spark at RB. Williams & Jennings are only very average backs IMO. There are a few decent backs in the upcoming draft but would depend on who is available in the 4th/5th rounds again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Donnell isn't a long term TE. He's a high end back up. Cruz was poor before the injury and we still need a number two receiver. Either ODB will have to deal with double teams or we get a #2 and can stretch the field at both sides with Cruz in the slot. We still need a top end guard. I like Williams and I think he can get better. Jennings is fairly average.

Still think defence is going to be a priority. I don't trust Coughlin but we need a stud in that defence. Would love to see us completely overhaul the LB core and get a stud.

I'm convinced Reese will go DT or DE in the draft. Especially if JPP ends up asking for too much and we franchise him/let him walk. The problem with JPP is that he's not the player we all thought he would be but he is a good player for this team. He knows he'd get 10/11 million elsewhere so we either stump up or let him walk. I'd franshise him and not allow him to become another Beatty. 10/11 per year is vastly overpaying for his production.

Finally, it looks like Coughlin is here to stay. not sure how to feel about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Here is how OBJ stacks against the other rookie receivers

Name Receptions Yards Avg. TDs
    Benjamin 67 952 14.2 9
    Watkins 59 850 14.4 5
    Evans 59 948 16.1 11
    Landry 71 672 9.5 5
    Beckham 71 972 13.7 9

It's being said a WR out of this amazing draft class is likely to be the offensive rookie of the year. Pretty close between OBJ, Benjamin and Evans. However OBJ has an advantage I think in that these totals came in 10 games after being injured. A New York Giant has never won offensive rookie of the year, it would be great to see OBJ do it

Here is how OBJ stacks against the other rookie receivers

Name Receptions Yards Avg. TDs
    Benjamin 67 952 14.2 9
    Watkins 59 850 14.4 5
    Evans 59 948 16.1 11
    Landry 71 672 9.5 5
    Beckham 71 972 13.7 9

It's being said a WR out of this amazing draft class is likely to be the offensive rookie of the year. Pretty close between OBJ, Benjamin and Evans. However OBJ has an advantage I think in that these totals came in 10 games after being injured. A New York Giant has never won offensive rookie of the year, it would be great to see OBJ do it

In terms of the receivers I think it is a 3 horse race between OBJ, Benjamin & Evans, with Evans possibly having a sight edge due to TD's but Beckham is catching fast.

I wouldn't rule out Jeremy Hill however. He has been in great form for the Bengals and a being a major contributor to a play off team could be a factor in the voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »
    In terms of the receivers I think it is a 3 horse race between OBJ, Benjamin & Evans, with Evans possibly having a sight edge due to TD's but Beckham is catching fast.

I wouldn't rule out Jeremy Hill however. He has been in great form for the Bengals and a being a major contributor to a play off team could be a factor in the voting.

Zach Martin could be in with a shout as well. Doubtful, as he's a lineman, but he's been excellent.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Zach Martin could be in with a shout as well. Doubtful, as he's a lineman, but he's been excellent.

Was tempted to mention him but linemen really have no shot.

Who is defensive rookie of the year? CJ Mosley has been unsurprisingly good for the Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Who is defensive rookie of the year? CJ Mosley has been unsurprisingly good for the Ravens.

2 horse race between Donald and Mack in my opinion

Donald is my shout. He's an absolute stud.

Knex. wrote: »
    Donald is my shout. He's an absolute stud.

I'd go with Donald as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Donald is a beast

I wanted us to get him but i'm delighted we got OBJ

Looking at the cutler situation today, no matter how much he infuriates me i'm glad we have Eli

2 time SB MVP proved he can get it done

Cutler got paid on potential, Eli on results

• Advertisement

Last years draft had so much talent, but there isn't a single person I'd take ahead of OBJ.

When was the last time that there was a draft whereby Giants walked away feeling like they absolutely got the best person available?

Another TD for OBJ. 10 on the year now

Great concentration by Wynn

Another great touchdown. Great route running, he skinned them

Eli having a hell of a night. 29TD's on the year now so needs 3 to break his career high of 31. Should comfortably finish the year over 4,000 yards with the highest completion percentage of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Eli having a hell of a night. 29TD's on the year now so needs 3 to break his career high of 31. Should comfortably finish the year over 4,000 yards with the highest completion percentage of his career.

objs going to do him wonders by far the best reciever ye have had since plaxico

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So how did we play tonight??

37-27 scoreline makes it sound like a shoot-out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

A lot of sympathy towards Coughlin in the media the past few weeks. Some former players have come out in support of him including Tuck. It's hard to know what exactly the problem is but it does seem as if Coughlin will be back next season.

We need to do better next season.

glued wrote: »
    A lot of sympathy towards Coughlin in the media the past few weeks. Some former players have come out in support of him including Tuck. It's hard to know what exactly the problem is but it does seem as if Coughlin will be back next season.

We need to do better next season.

These late season winning runs when the season is lost are really saving his bacon, the last 2 years have been so terrible that it is beyond belief that he will be back.

I can only think of 2 other HC's (Bellichek & McCarthy) who would survive such poor seasons but I couldn't see either putting together seasons like this back to back. We will probably finish 7-9 & 7-9 and it will be rolled out that we are not that far away but in truth we are a million miles from a play off team.

We have essentially beaten only 2 starting caliber QB's this year (Matt Ryan & RGIII). The other wins have been against at best back up level QB's (Ryan Fitz, Zach Mettenberger, Kirk Cousins, Shaun Hill) to go along with our wins over power house QB's such as Cousins, Josh Freeman, Terelle Pryor & Scott Tolzien from last year.

We are laughably bad & if 13 weren't here this year we would be even worse.

TC should have been gone a long time ago.

We have essentially beaten only 2 starting caliber QB's this year (Matt Ryan & RGIII). The other wins have been against at best back up level QB's (Ryan Fitz, Zach Mettenberger, Kirk Cousins, Shaun Hill) to go along with our wins over power house QB's such as Cousins, Josh Freeman, Terelle Pryor & Scott Tolzien from last year.

And the Falcons like the rest of the NFC South have been a joke, and RGIII has seriously regressed as a QB

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to get serious worried that these wins against bad teams will save PFs job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'm beginning to get serious worried that these wins against bad teams will save PFs job

Dear god don't say that.

New ideas needed so so so badly

absolutely

I really hope injuries as an excuse won't help him

This bend but don't break stuff game after game drives me mental

Yes he helped win a SB but in 2011 the D was bad for majority of the year before gettin hot in playoffs

KG got canned last year as O was broken

This year the D is broken so PF needs to go

Dear god don't say that.

New ideas needed so so so badly
    absolutely

I really hope injuries as an excuse won't help him

This bend but don't break stuff game after game drives me mental

Yes he helped win a SB but in 2011 the D was bad for majority of the year before gettin hot in playoffs

KG got canned last year as O was broken

This year the D is broken so PF needs to go

Fewell has to go, end of story.

I also think our new DC shouldn't have to move too far, if reports are right & he is available then Sexy Rexy is the best candidate by a distance.

Fewell has to go, end of story.

I also think our new DC shouldn't have to move too far, if reports are right & he is available then Sexy Rexy is the best candidate by a distance.

Fewell has to go, but I still think TC should't automatically be safe just cause we won a few games against B team quarterbacks

Thank you OBJ for making this season worth watching. he finishes with 12 receptions for 185 yards and a touchdown. On the season he had 91 receptions for 1305 yards and 12 touchdowns. Hopefully he wins rookie of the year, he deserves it. On a more disappointing note we finished 6-10, and I dont' think we can have any complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Fitting end to a terrible season. Roll on September !!

Thank you OBJ for making this season worth watching. he finishes with 12 receptions for 185 yards and a touchdown. On the season he had 91 receptions for 1305 yards and 12 touchdowns. Hopefully he wins rookie of the year, he deserves it. On a more disappointing note we finished 6-10, and I dont' think we can have any complaints

In only 12 games that is scarcely believable. He has set any number of records with his performance. All we can do now is hope & pray that we can put a team around him to be successful.

wawaman wrote: »
    Fitting end to a terrible season. Roll on September !!

Roll on April & a potential top 10 pick

• Advertisement

Roll on April & a potential top 10 pick
    To hopefully be spent on a linebacker (although not likely)

Advertisement