Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Cullen Jenkins has taken a pay cut. He was scheduled to make $2.5 million but will now make between $700K & $1.2 million assuming he makes the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I like Jenkins, but he definitely waned a bit last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Looks like JPP will get tagged and JD Walton will be released.

Coughlin could be getting a new deal and Osi could be back in NY.

glued wrote: »
    Looks like JPP will get tagged and JD Walton will be released.

Coughlin could be getting a new deal and Osi could be back in NY.

Think JPP will get his long term deal & the franchise tag buys everyone time.

Walton is no loss, Richburg to centre where he belongs & add OG & OT in Ðraft or free agency.

Think the 1 year extension is to avoid that lame duck coaching ticket people talk about, it's still win or bust for TC this year.

Don't see any reason to bring back Osi even on a vet minimum deal.

With the combine done & dusted where will we go with our 1st round pick?

I know there is alot of talk about Brandon Scherff but there could be potentially a few game changers available when we pick & considering we have a lot already invested in Beatty, Schwarz, Richburg & Pugh I wouldn't be too keen on investing our 1st rounder on OL.

Assuming Leonard Wiiliams is long gone & we don't make a trade up for him then the 2 most realistic D players I would love us to get are either Dante Fowler or Danny Shelton. They are obviously poles apart as players but Fowler looks like a superb pass rush prospect as a DE/OLB tweener. Shelton is a behemoth in the middle of the line & our run D would be hugely formidable with him, JPP & Big Hank combined. It would also help cover decencies in our LB corp.

On offense if either Kevin White or Amari Cooper are available they should warrant serious consideration. Back to back WR's in the 1st round might be odd on the face of it but we need to cover off in case anything happens Cruz'z recovery as beyond OBJ we don't have much else. Having 3 top class receivers is no harm & can help Eli more than a pick on the OL. Adding Cooper to OBJ & Cruz would make it one of the best WR corps in football.

Not much else would catch my eye for the pick as not gone on Ray, Gregory or Beasley as defensive prospects.

• Advertisement

Kiwi has officially been cut. Not a huge surprise & it's saves over $4 million against the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭tgdaly

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Kiwi has officially been cut. Not a huge surprise & it's saves over $4 million against the cap.

It's about time we started giving other pass rushers a chance

tgdaly wrote: »
    It's about time we started giving other pass rushers a chance

Calling Kiwi a pass rusher based on his last few seasons is being very generous.

:(:pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    Calling Kiwi a pass rusher based on his last few seasons is being very generous.

:(:pac:

Haha true that!!

Antrel Rolle will be hitting free agency as we have help no talks with him. Quintin Demps & Stevie Brown are also going to free agency which really only leaves Nat Berhe & Cooper Taylor at safety.

I'd imagine we will need to sign 2 veteran safeties as well as drafting a guy in the 1st 3 rounds (Cody Prewitt from Ole Miss would do nicely)

• Advertisement

Rumours that we could be bringing in Adrian Clayborn from the Bucs. Missed pretty much all of last season so not one to invest much in you'd imagine. Had 6.5 sacks the year before.

Think this is a good indicator as to where we will be shopping, doubt we will see any big name signings.

Jerrel Jernigan & Jaquain Williams are not going to be brought back.

Seems we do want to work something out with Stevie Brown after all. I wonder which FA safeties we will make a run at?

DaNorris Searcy from the Bills would probably be the best available but not sure we have the financial clout to sign him.

Tyson Branch, released by the Raiders, is the most intriguing option. I'm sure you could get him on a 1 year prove it deal with his injury history & he had the ability if fit.

Looks like we are signing Shane Vereen from the Patriots

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477694/article/shane-vereen-expected-to-land-with-new-york-giants

Have to say I'm quietly pleased with that. Maybe not a huge name signing, but he was a game changer for the Patriots. Jennings, Vereen and Williams is going to be a good, versatile stable of running backs. He will be a really good pass catcher out of the backfield on 3rd downs to compliment the hard nose running of the other 2

tgdaly wrote: »
    Looks like we are signing Shane Vereen from the Patriots

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477694/article/shane-vereen-expected-to-land-with-new-york-giants

Have to say I'm quietly pleased with that. Maybe not a huge name signing, but he was a game changer for the Patriots. Jennings, Vereen and Williams is going to be a good, versatile stable of running backs. He will be a really good pass catcher out of the backfield on 3rd downs to compliment the hard nose running of the other 2

Yea the more I think about it the happier I get. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield must be a dream for Manning. It's thought to be a 4 year deal of $4 to $5 million per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Dwyane Harris and Marshall Newhouse have also signed as well

wawaman wrote: »
    Dwyane Harris and Marshall Newhouse have also signed as well

:eek: Harris is getting a 5 year $17 million dollar deal with $7 million guaranteed. Isn't he just punt returners??

We have also signed some one called Jonathan Casillas on a 3 year $10 million dollar deal. :confused:

We seem to be blowing money at the moment. We have signed JT Thomas from the Jags on a 3 year $12 million deal with $4.5 million guaranteed.

The signing of Vereen was a great way to start but the signings of Harris/Thomas/Cassilas are pretty poor investments with the money involved.

Hope we haven't over committed to Newhouse.

We seem to be blowing money at the moment. We have signed JT Thomas from the Jags on a 3 year $12 million deal with $4.5 million guaranteed.

The signing of Vereen was a great way to start but the signings of Harris/Thomas/Cassilas are pretty poor investments with the money involved.

Hope we haven't over committed to Newhouse.

I'm happy with Vereen but pretty disappointed with the other signings, especially considering some of the crazy deals that are going down in free agency.

Hynoski is back, 2 year deal $2million. Delighted he is back, I love him to bits and we need to use him more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hynoski is back, 2 year deal $2million. Delighted he is back, I love him to bits and we need to use him more.

Fuck

hynoski2.gif

Yeah...

• Advertisement

Looks like Mark Herslich is coming back on a 2 year deal. No word on finances of the deal but really needs to be pretty much vet minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Coughlin also signed a one year extension

I just want to take this time to tell the organization., coaches, media department, cleaning staff, cafeteria staff, THE FANS,& more than ANYTHING MY TEAMMATES that I love u all dearly. This was the hardest decision that I ever had to make in my life. It's never easy when u have so many emotions involved and u have sooo much love for a place. NY is the only place that I call home away from home. You all have been so great to me and honestly I love you all to death for it. You all have me so many priceless memories that will never ever be forgotten. Once a Giant always a Giant and I sincerely believe in that. Moving on is a part of life and it's a part of business. I had to do what was best for my family and I. I want to make my son proud of his father and to continue to do that I had to go forward with my plan! NY is tattooed on my chest so just know I will be a Giant and a New Yorker forever. Love u all. See you on the other side.

Antrel Rolle on Instagram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Herzlich got a 2 year $2.6M deal. Pretty poor business this offseason tbh. We've overpaid for everyone and there is no sign of a contract for JPP yet.

We'll be pretty beat up at Safety this year barring a miracle and despite investing more money in the LB core we still look completely talentless.

I can't help but think that bar ODB Reese would be fired by now.

I'm surprised at the contracts given so far, tbh

glued wrote: »
    Herzlich got a 2 year $2.6M deal. Pretty poor business this offseason tbh. We've overpaid for everyone and there is no sign of a contract for JPP yet.

We'll be pretty beat up at Safety this year barring a miracle and despite investing more money in the LB core we still look completely talentless.

I can't help but think that bar ODB Reese would be fired by now.

I agree to be honest. Can't help but feel our defense is going to struggle at the second level unless we pick up some serious talent in the draft. I feel the d-line will be ok in both run and pass, should actually improve from last year. But any run that goes past the line is going to have a great chance to go for 20 every time. Same with the pass. Feel our CBs will be ok with Prince back (and hopefully healthy). But if the rush can't get there and corners get beat I feel there isn't going to be much safety help. Think we will be lucky if we even have a top 20 defense

On a positive note though I actually think our offense has a great chance to be in the top 5 in the league. Vereen added, Williams with a year under his belt and Jennings is a good balanced backfield. OBJ will continue to be a stud, with Cruz back fit, Donnell, and hopefully Randle can contribute. If we get a decent WR in the draft to insure against Randle and a solid o-lineman I think Eli can have no excuses this year

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭robluvshandegg

Who are we thinking of in the draft? I've seen very little consensus about potential players or even positions.

I've seen people giving us Brandon Scherff OL, Danny Shelton DT, Shane Ray DE, Trae Waynes CB, Landon Collins S, and I've seen one draft where Amari Cooper fell to us at 9. Could be pretty cool having OBJ, Cooper and Cruz.

Who are we thinking of in the draft? I've seen very little consensus about potential players or even positions.

I've seen people giving us Brandon Scherff OL, Danny Shelton DT, Shane Ray DE, Trae Waynes CB, Landon Collins S, and I've seen one draft where Amari Cooper fell to us at 9. Could be pretty cool having OBJ, Cooper and Cruz.

Walter football even has us taking Randy Gregory at 9. I get the feeling we aren't looking past o-line or d-line round 1 (and I hope we go o-line). Problem is I think Scheriff is the only o-lineman of value at 9, anyone else I think would be a stretch at such a high pick. So presuming we don't trade it would look like d-line if he is already gone

I really hope we don't draft o-line as the guys there (Scherff, Collins) have questions about them. We are also very interested in Ali Marpet from Hobart by all accounts so he could be our OL investment in the mid rounds.

Amari Cooper would be sensational to Ðraft but I think d-line is most likely & the way I would go. Dante Fowler would be great but doubt he falls to us, same comment for Danny Shelton.

I would guess that it would come down to Ray, Dupree & Gregory. I think Gregory has the most potential from that trio so I would go there.

If I were drafting I would go d in the 1st 3 rounds (DL, LB, Safety) (Gregory, Thompson, Prewitt).

We will probably have to invest at WR at some point as not too sure what is there beyond OBJ & Cruz (assuming he returns 100%). Greenberry from Houston, Waller from Georgia Tech & Hill from Arizona are 3 big bodied WR's who should be of interest in the late rounds.

• Advertisement

I really hope we don't draft o-line as the guys there (Scherff, Collins) have questions about them. We are also very interested in Ali Marpet from Hobart by all accounts so he could be our OL investment in the mid rounds.

Amari Cooper would be sensational to Ðraft but I think d-line is most likely & the way I would go. Dante Fowler would be great but doubt he falls to us, same comment for Danny Shelton.

I would guess that it would come down to Ray, Dupree & Gregory. I think Gregory has the most potential from that trio so I would go there.

If I were drafting I would go d in the 1st 3 rounds (DL, LB, Safety) (Gregory, Thompson, Prewitt).

We will probably have to invest at WR at some point as not too sure what is there beyond OBJ & Cruz (assuming he returns 100%). Greenberry from Houston, Waller from Georgia Tech & Hill from Arizona are 3 big bodied WR's who should be of interest in the late rounds.

I'd go OL LB S in that order. Although I agree with what you say about the o-lineman, Scherff is the only one I might consider so DL LB S wouldn't be a bad draft. But considering that's our 3 top picks on 3 defensive players I just feel an o-lineman will be drafted in there somewhere, especially considering we never spend high picks on LBs. WR and o-line dept would be good shouts at 4 and 5

Advertisement