Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I know he's a Heisman winner, but I wouldn't be comfortable with taking Murray at all.

He's definitely not a 1st round talent in my eyes anyway.

Haskins at 6 would be my preference at the moment, but it's still relatively early days I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Knex. wrote: »
    I know he's a Heisman winner, but I wouldn't be comfortable with taking Murray at all.

He's definitely not a 1st round talent in my eyes anyway.

Haskins at 6 would be my preference at the moment, but it's still relatively early days I suppose.

Fair enough, I'm no expert. Just going by what I hear. Murray was raved about on the NYG Weekly podcast. I also wonder if the Jets or someone might trade a pick for someone desperate for a QB, so maybe neither will be available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

human 19 wrote: »
    Im not advocating it, but it may be better to wait a year for the next franchise QB rather than wasting another 1st round pick. There seems to be slim pickings this year, going by what I hear and read.

Kyler Murray seems to be very interesting , if he chooses to go for the NFL rather than the MLB, but he may be dismissed because of his height anyway.

Eli is on the way out and there is no obvious replacement in sight yet. But he's quite steady and knows the system so I wouldnt expect any falir from him next year but, as they did in 2018, they might improve the team around him to steady the ship and then make a jump forward in 2020

The same 'slim pickings' comments were floating around about QBs in the 2017 draft and with people saying to hold out for the 2018 class when Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson all went in the 1st. There is no way to know who will actually come out in 2019 or how they'll be ranked after next season, given potential regression/injuries/staying in school.

The Giants are blessed to have ended up with the draft pick they have this year. They had a prime opportunity to pick a franchise QB last year, getting the 2nd choice out of 5 good candidates, and they went for a luxury pick instead (albeit a very good one). They had a number of tight loses this year and rather than the 6th pick they'd be at 10 if they won 1 additional game or 16th pick if they won an additional 2.

No matter what the mock drafts get your expectations to be I don't think Haskins will be there at 6 so it'll take some movement up to get him. Next year will be the exact same issue with the top QBs with likely demand being as increased as supply, all while likely starting from a worse draft position. The Giants have made their bed and it is very unlikely a rookie QB is going to again fall in their laps like it would have last year, they need to move or take a guy that is seen as a reach.

It would be a complete shame for the Giants to waste 3 years of the grouping of OBJ, Barkley, Engram, Shepard trying to patch things together with Eli checking down because they're afraid to pull the trigger on a rookie QB.

It would be great to get some hope back again straight away with a new top rate QB. I just dont see evidence that Shurmer sees it the same way. I wonder does he still think Eli has years left as he said at the start of the season.

I dont know if the " no-holds barred" discussion with Eli indicates he is changing his mind, or if it's just a negotiation strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Andrew Whitworth wanted Giants, but they didn’t want him

Left tackle says there “wasn’t any interested” from Giants during 2017 free agency

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/1/29/18202068/ny-giants-andrew-whitworth-wanted-giants-but-they-didnt-want-him-la-ramns

Pity!!!

• Advertisement

Pity? That's gross negligence!

Signed Marshall that offseason instead. Christ.

Not one of Jerry Reach's finest moments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not one of Jerry Reach's finest moments

Ha ha in other news water is wet!!!

Ha true

Some interesting mock drafts

DANIEL JONES Duke QB

This wouldn't be my selection if I were making the pick, but the Giants need a young QB to develop behind Eli Manning and Jones' ties to Duke head coach David Cutcliffe -- Eli's college coach and mentor -- might be all the Giants need to push Jones over the top on their board as they try to make a smooth transition under center.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2019/mock-drafts/lance-zierlein/370850

I must watch some highlights of Jones but he's getting very mixed reviews for the Senior Bowl

BBv has an interesting article on drafting QBs

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/1/31/18195072/why-arent-nfl-teams-better-at-drafting-developing-quarterbacks-ny-giants-2019-nfl-draft

I worry about Jones arm strength. He's got the size, enough athletic ability to extend plays, and decent anticipation in terms of throwing as receivers come out of breaks.

His mechanics are very solid, thanks to Cutcliffe, and the support cast around him was complete ass. But I just don't see anything that wows me enough for the 6th pick in all honesty.

But hey, I'm an absolute amateur at this so who knows.

Haskins if he's there at 6 would be my pick, but I guess someone will trade up for him and I don't think Gettleman will be willing to do so. He's definitely raw, however.

• Advertisement

Seeing quite a few mock drafts where Haskins is available for the Giants. Checked vids on you tube showing, obviously, his best plays.

Judging by them, he seems to be the same as Eli, playing from the pocket. What's he like when pressured in the pocket? Havent seen much where he escaped from pressure to make a play. Doesnt seem to be one who can make an explosive run either. and how is he with tight window passes? havent seen much on you tube.

Awesome downfield passes when the receiver is free, but maybe they are the only ones that the vid creators want to show.

human 19 wrote: »
    Seeing quite a few mock drafts where Haskins is available for the Giants. Checked vids on you tube showing, obviously, his best plays.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to mock drafts at this stage, as most don't take into account trades.

Haskins could fall to the Giants if they stay at 6 but that would only be the case where a team jumps in front of them and takes a different QB. Can't see a situation where the Giants have a full choice of QBs at 6, like most mocks show.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/2/28/18244905/jason-witten-is-returning-to-the-dallas-cowboys

Blast

Witten has killed us for years and prob will again

Some player in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Apparently we're shopping Vernon now..

Yeah and apparently Collins won't show up in tagged

Looking like a messy offseason

Jeez Haskins 40 time is awful even if he has leg cramps

He really needs to pick it up on his pro day

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Jeez Haskins 40 time is awful even if he has leg cramps

He really needs to pick it up on his pro day

Despite what Stephen A. Smith says he's not a running QB so it won't make much difference to him. He was expected to run slow and probably should have skipped it.

Landon Collins not tagged so walks. An absolute joke

I posted about that in the main NFL thread. Not really sure where I stand with it all.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Will miss Collins, but he has was poor last year, average the year before, and poor his rookie year. 2016 he was possibly the best defensive player in the league.

You can't do it all from Safety or affect the game as much as other positions can, but the man is unbelievable in the run game, although his tackling let him down last year. I don't think he's worth 11m a year when he is so exposed in the pass game as often as he is, but again, he had very little help there aside from 2016, when he was more than capable.

What annoys me isn't so much Giants letting him walk, but it's that we are seemingly in no man land for a lot of things. If we're clearing out high cap and rebuilding, Vernon, Jenkins and Eli should all have been shifted. Especially when you consider our 1 consistently elite defensive player, Snacks, was shipped for a 4th last year.

I just don't really get what the Giants are attempting, in all honesty. I think we're caught in the headspace of knowing there are holes all over the roster and rookie QB can't come in and compete, but do we use the 6th pick to strengthen our lines for 2019, or move up and take Haskins.

If you strengthen, then its OK to keep Eli and try and put a more solid roster in place for drafting a QB next year. This is a hard sell however.

But if you do end up taking a QB, then Eli should have been cut and his 17m used in FA to build this roster as best you can. There's no way Eli starts all year in this scenario unless somehow Giants have fixed their OL issues, which seems very unlikely if they trade up for a QB.

I just feel we are a bit directionless at the moment.

Collins seemed to be a leader in the locker room

Surprised we didn't at least transaction tag him

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Landon Collins not tagged so walks. An absolute joke

This might have played a big part in the decision

Big Blue reportedly wanted to tag Collins, who was a first-team All-Pro in 2016, but the safety was unlikely to sign the tender and could have sat out New York's spring and summer programs while the two sides negotiated a long-term deal, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported two weeks ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021061/article/giants-dont-place-franchise-tag-on-landon-collins

Regarding Vernon, I wonder if they are hoping to trade for a 3rd round pick, and if this would significantly increase the prospect of them taking Haskins in the 1st round, if they are currently more minded to take a pass rusher and tackle early in the draft than splashing on a QB in the 1st round

Reports — Giants trading Olivier Vernon to Cleveland Browns

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/3/8/18256283/ny-giants-trading-olivier-vernon-to-cleveland-browns-nfl-news

Will see what we get back in return

Christ our D was bad last year

Now take out Collins and Vernon

Gettleman better had draft goal this year

According to another thread

Kevin Zeitler (Guard) going the opposite way.

I don't know much about him as I saw very little of the Browns

Delighted with that.

Also:

The Giants will also receive a 2019 fifth-round pick from Cleveland (No. 155), while the Browns receive a 2019 fourth-round pick from New York (No. 132).

Hmmmm looks like Giants gave up slightly more draft capital to make the deal happen

Reading more into it

Vernon is scheduled to make $15.5 million this season. His current deal with the Giants had two years and $31 million remaining. Trading Vernon will save the Giants $11.5 million against the cap and leaves them with an $8 million dead money cap hit as well.

Lot of dead money but so be it

I must look up some footage on Zeitler

Know very little about him myself, but some giants accounts I follow on Twitter are very happy about this trade

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Collins to Redskins on 6 year contract, $84 million

tgdaly wrote: »
    Collins to Redskins on 6 year contract, $84 million

Daaaaaaaamn

Wow that's massive money for Collins

• Advertisement

What the hell is gettleman at?

Advertisement