Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    ET coming up

Of course we can't close it out

This team could blow a 2 score game with 1 second left. Disasters the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I must watch it again later on but Beckham wanted no part of the onside kick

Dang tough catch but Shep needs to make that

Giants win :)

Prob not great pick wise but good character wise

I must watch it again later on but Beckham wanted no part of the onside kick

No he bottled it, tried to swat it out of play instead of attacking it

• Advertisement

It looks bad like Newton not diving for a ball in the SB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think we missed that Landon Collins is done for the year and maybe as a Giant. UFA this year if we don't tag him. $10-$11M depending on where the Tag comes in would be a huge hit against the cap. We are tight on it as it stands and with Jackrabbit, Eli and OV on for large contracts, Collins would need to sign long term. That would mean he would be testing the market and may well end up elsewhere.
    I do think OV will be cut and possible even Jackrabbit. Eli needs to restructure so they may tag Collins. Especially coming off the laberum surgery.
    I do think we need to keep him but we need a better cover safety on the FS side. The BEars showed Collins has very poor Pass Coverage skills. An elite SS but we need to team him up with a better FS.

That was enjoyable, well the first 3 quarters. Once Lauletta was at the controls there basically was no offense, not one completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

He looked so unsure of himself when he came in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, was nice to see a competent offense even with OBJ out.

Hard to say much about a rookie in their first start, but Lauletta was pretty awful.

I'm starting to think that the best case scenario for next year is Manning takes a pay cut and Giants look to take someone like Haskins without having to trade the house to move up for Herbert. Although pretty hard to tell at this stage where teams will value them.

• Advertisement

Uuuuuuggh.....

Missed the game as was out. Looking at the box score, I was better off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Miserable game, couldnt do anything on offense. Couldn't stop them running the ball at will. Some of the tackling was pretty shocking

tgdaly wrote: »
    Miserable game, couldnt do anything on offense. Couldn't stop them running the ball at will. Some of the tackling was pretty shocking

You are been very generous with your use of the word tackling.

Might give the "highlights" a skip so. Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

wawaman wrote: »
    You are been very generous with your use of the word tackling.

I was thinking that typing it! "Tackling" for want of a better word. One of the guys in commentary made a great point at one stage that the giants cornerbacks were just trying to throw a shoulder in hoping the take guys down, not using their arms to tackle

I'm sure this will change throughout the draft process, but man, the more I watch of Haskins, the more I want him.

Bw Webb is an absolute clown and this team keep finding new ways to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

Knex. wrote:
    I'm sure this will change throughout the draft process, but man, the more I watch of Haskins, the more I want him.

Herbert is going back to school so Haskins might already be off the board.

• Advertisement

Wow, big news that. I think he's daft as he would be a top 10 pick. Hope the kid doesn't regret the decision, ala Matt Barkley.

What a way to lose

FFS

What a way to lose

FFS

They are consistent at least, breaking your heart till the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well **** that!!!

Jus read that the giants had the highest scoring offense in the nfc east. Just shows how bad the defense was

Happy with our progress since the bye, offensively at least.

Shurmur deserves another year and he finally got the offense working, breaking the 30 point barrier on a few occasions.

Adding Jamon Brown helped shore up the OL, so would be nice to bring him back. He's very average, but that's still markedly better than what we have.

If they trust Halapio at center, then hopefully he can stay fit and be the guy in 2019. Would just mean a RT is required in FA/Draft.

Ideal scenario would be restructure Eli's contract so we're not giving him the guts of 20m next season, which would be poor value, and draft Haskins at 6.

Haskins has just 1 year as a starter as is raw, but came on leaps and bounds as the season developed. Had a great showing last night in the rose bowl.

Our defence is awful, so I'd forgive Gettleman for taking DL at the 6 spot and hoping to trade up to bottom of 1st to get someone like Daniel Jones, if they think he's the guy.

We have a few pieces to build around, though. Decisions need to be made around Collins, who has been average at best for two years, and Vernon. OV came back strong with 8 sacks in 11 games, but he's a huge cap hit to keep around. We don't have any passrush without him, however.

We need serious help in the secondary and linebackers (as always).

Would like to see a new OC in place, rather than Mike Shula. I've just never been too inspired by him, but maybe he works well with Shurmur.

Long road ahead until the draft, but I have to say that Gettleman did a great job in 2018. Didn't like the FA moves, especially Stewart, but we look to have starters and depth from at least 4 of his picks. Although picking at 2 always makes that a bit easier.

Barkley - best RB in the league already and best player on our team.
    Hernandez - love him. Will be a staple on our line for years.
    Carter - Raw but a freak athlete. Loves the game and can see him improving all the time.
    BJ Hill - One of the bargain picks of the draft. Very explosive for his size and can see him being a great 3-4 DE.
    Lauletta - Not really liking this one, and maturity seems to be an issue too. We shall see.
    RJ Macintosh - Injured pretty much all year.

Odell Beckham to 49ers? Trade rumors about Giants’ WR starting already

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/1/1/18164547/odell-beckham-trade-rumors-sf-49ers-ny-giants

We would need to get a hell of a deal to trade Beckham

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Odell Beckham to 49ers? Trade rumors about Giants’ WR starting already

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/1/1/18164547/odell-beckham-trade-rumors-sf-49ers-ny-giants

We would need to get a hell of a deal to trade Beckham

from the press conference today:

"We didn't sign him to trade him," Gettleman said.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006985/article/giants-gm-wont-commit-to-eli-manning-as-2019-starter

from the same interview :

After manning said the other day that he didnt know he would start next year...

"Gettleman said he had an "extensive, no-holds barred" conversation with Manning on Monday about his season."

I wonder if they are looking at extending his contract for a year at a lower pay rate.

As its not a great QB selection in the draft this year, would the odds be on negotiating a 1 year extension after 2019, beefing up the O-line & D-line this year, then picking a QB next year and let him bed in for a year behind Eli?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

human 19 wrote: »
    from the press conference today:

"We didn't sign him to trade him," Gettleman said.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006985/article/giants-gm-wont-commit-to-eli-manning-as-2019-starter

from the same interview :

After manning said the other day that he didnt know he would start next year...

"Gettleman said he had an "extensive, no-holds barred" conversation with Manning on Monday about his season."

I wonder if they are looking at extending his contract for a year at a lower pay rate.

As its not a great QB selection in the draft this year, would the odds be on negotiating a 1 year extension after 2019, beefing up the O-line & D-line this year, then picking a QB next year and let him bed in for a year behind Eli?

Are you advocating 2 more years of Eli after the regression he has already displayed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Are you advocating 2 more years of Eli after the regression he has already displayed?

Im not advocating it, but it may be better to wait a year for the next franchise QB rather than wasting another 1st round pick. There seems to be slim pickings this year, going by what I hear and read.

Kyler Murray seems to be very interesting , if he chooses to go for the NFL rather than the MLB, but he may be dismissed because of his height anyway.

Eli is on the way out and there is no obvious replacement in sight yet. But he's quite steady and knows the system so I wouldnt expect any falir from him next year but, as they did in 2018, they might improve the team around him to steady the ship and then make a jump forward in 2020

Advertisement