Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cowboys tag DeMarcus Lawrence
    Working to get a long-term deal sorted for July

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Foles is off to Jacksonville, good fit for him .

Hopefully Foles does the business as they can’t afford another mistake at QB.

That Bortles contract was a bit of a disaster for the Jags, wonder where he will end up? presumably he’ll get a job as a backup somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1102690015451201538?s=19

I think Landon Collins and CJ Mosley will be two of the biggest names to hit the open market. Trey Flowers may be a FA too. Almost all other pass rushers tagged, as you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Will miss Collins, but he has was poor last year, average the year before, and poor his rookie year. 2016 he was possibly the best defensive player in the league.

You can't do it all from Safety or affect the game as much as other positions can, but the man is unbelievable in the run game, although his tackling let him down last year. I don't think he's worth 11m a year when he is so exposed in the pass game as often as he is, but again, he had very little help there aside from 2016, when he was more than capable.

What annoys me isn't so much Giants letting him walk, but it's that we are seemingly in no man land for a lot of things. If we're clearing out high cap and rebuilding, Vernon, Jenkins and Eli should all have been shifted. Especially when you consider our 1 consistently elite defensive player, Snacks, was shipped for a 4th last year.

I just don't really get what the Giants are attempting, in all honesty. I think we're caught in the headspace of knowing there are holes all over the roster and rookie QB can't come in and compete, but do we use the 6th pick to strengthen our lines for 2019, or move up and take Haskins.

If you strengthen, then its OK to keep Eli and try and put a more solid roster in place for drafting a QB next year. This is a hard sell however.

But if you do end up taking a QB, then Eli should have been cut and his 17m used in FA to build this roster as best you can. There's no way Eli starts all year in this scenario unless somehow Giants have fixed their OL issues, which seems very unlikely if they trade up for a QB.

I just feel we are a bit directionless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mosley becomes a free agent after the Ravens (correctly) decide not to tag him.

Tough one for the Ravens now. Despite wanting to have him back, they’re going to have to overspend to keep him and while he’s very good, he’s not that next level of elite IMO.

With Baltimore’s other needs, I think I’d be tempted to let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick in 2020 but if we can find a way to bring him back then great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Paully D wrote: »
    Mosley becomes a free agent after the Ravens (correctly) decide not to tag him.

Tough one for the Ravens now. Despite wanting to have him back, they’re going to have to overspend to keep him and while he’s very good, he’s not that next level of elite IMO.

With Baltimore’s other needs, I think I’d be tempted to let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick in 2020 but if we can find a way to bring him back then great :)
    Ravens have cut safety Eric Weddle (6-time pro-bowler) which frees up €7.5 million in cap space so that could be enough to agree a deal with Mosley if that is what they want.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Ravens have cut safety Eric Weddle (6-time pro-bowler) which frees up €7.5 million in cap space so that could be enough to agree a deal with Mosley if that is what they want.

Yeah, I’d be kind of hoping that release is with a view to signing Mosley.

While Weddle’s production has slowed down, his leadership, locker room presence and QB’ing of the defense will be hard to replace. One of the Ravens better free agent pick-ups in recent years.

If they do re-sign Mosley he’ll take over control of the defense.

There’s some decent free agent safeties (and more will be on the cut list soon) doing the rounds now so locking Mosley up and picking one of those guys up for half of Weddle’s salary might be the play.

Weddle said he’d retire if cut but watch him end up at the Patriots and win a Super Bowl now :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Jamie Collins apparently released by the Browns, I assume he's looking for a massive deal

phatkev wrote: »
    Jamie Collins apparently released by the Browns, I assume he's looking for a massive deal

He wasn't great last year. Can't see the market being too strong for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

phatkev wrote: »

Lots of buzz on twitter that OBJ may be about to be traded to the Browns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

coco0981 wrote: »
    Lots of buzz on twitter that OBJ may be about to be traded to the Browns

WHAT!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Saw that too. Good on the Browns if they get him. I would have thought their defence should be the big priority but they have a lot of cap room to work with I suppose, and a good young QB on a nice deal for the next couple of years.

Their division is very much up for grabs too. Must be great for Browns fans considering where they were just two seasons ago.

Would be fairly confident OBJ is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Knex. wrote: »
    Would be fairly confident OBJ is going nowhere.

So would I but stranger things have happened in sport over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Le'Veon Bell to KCC?

*drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bears fans hoping the kickers name isn't a sign of things to come

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1103451682678161413

Right back to full power after a month idling away on football. I'm watched TA in full last night and going to start watching condensed games from last season this weekend again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Case Keenum has been traded from the Broncos for a 7th round pick to the Redskins for a 6th round pick. A 7th round pick is a get the **** out of town pick.

Steelers extending the contracts of Pouncey and Foster on their O line and they want teams in the AB sweepstakes offers by Friday at the latest. I mean even the team the steelers trade Brown to, can they count on him not doing what he's doing now and just not turn up ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Steelers extending the contracts of Pouncey and Foster on their O line and they want teams in the AB sweepstakes offers by Friday at the latest. I mean even the team the steelers trade Brown to, can they count on him not doing what he's doing now and just not turn up ?

The Raiders will probably give up their 3 firsts this year for him :pac:

According to the usual reporters on Twitter, a lot of teams in the Antonio Brown market have pulled out.

You could just imagine Gruden in his office bidding against himself :pac:

The Raiders will probably give up their 3 firsts this year for him :pac:

According to the usual reporters on Twitter, a lot of teams in the Antonio Brown market have pulled out.

You could just imagine Gruden in his office bidding against himself :pac:

I can Paully and I'm not using much imagination. I don't rate Gruden as highly as some. He was successful but he seems like the acorn of the Gruden family tree.Frank Caliendo should pretend to be him and ring the Steelers and make the offer of the three first rounders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bears fans hoping the kickers name isn't a sign of things to come

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1103451682678161413
    Still too soon.

Still too soon.

I can't in good conscience make a smart reply here so I won't. It's just not cricket. The Chicago bears brethren are to be respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I can't in good conscience make a smart reply here so I won't. It's just not cricket. The Chicago bears brethren are to be respected.

No. No they are not. It's the greatest moment in NFL history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Case Keenum has been traded from the Broncos for a 7th round pick to the Redskins for a 6th round pick. A 7th round pick is a get the **** out of town pick.

Broncos are also paying $3.5million of his salary next year - but that is a significant cap saving for the Broncos.

The picks traded are in the 2020 draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Bills and brown is an interesting one. Gives shady more room and we know brown loves a top end rb

Brown would be even dumber than he seems if he goes to the Bills.

He should hold out for a contender (or an improving team with potential, i.e. the Browns) or just retire if a deal to one isn’t forthcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Brown would be even dumber than he seems if he goes to the Bills.

He should hold out for a contender or just retire if a deal to one isn’t forthcoming.

Yeah let's just leave my last big payday there. Bills and him will work fine

Advertisement