Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

I didnt bother staying up because i had an idea of what was going to happen. Unfortunately by all accounts it was as ugly as i feared. Last year and even in the off season i was behind Eli and believed that he could at least get a decent enough offense to win us games. But time waits for no man and we should be seriously considering about how to move on from Eli.
    I know the O Line is a sham, but a more mobile QB could at least extend some plays. Eli gets the snap and more often than not one of two things happen:
    1 - Checkdown
    2 - he sees ghosts or gets sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, if they think Lauletta has enough about him to be able to develop and not just get shell shocked, then I'm all for putting him in for 6-8 games and seeing what we have.

I actually think Giants might have gone Mayfield in the draft if Browns hadn't taken him. Remember Gettleman saying something along the lines of "Once we say the Browns pick then it was a no brainer for us to take Barkley". Maybe reading too much into that, but it really struck me at the time. Was surprised no reporter questioned it further.

Anyway, get through this year with a high draft pick, cut Eli for 20m savings, sign Collins, draft a QB and some linemen and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I don't think Gettleman meant it that way

Saquon Barkley is only the second player to ever earn a perfect grade from New York Giants general manager Dave Gettelman since he started scouting college players in 1986. The other player was Peyton Manning.

"Let me put it to you this way. I've only given, in all the years I've done scouting at the college level, I've only given one 9.0 and that was Peyton Manning," Gettleman said on Giants Draft Night Live. "I got (Manning) it right. This guy (Barkley) is a 9.0."

Once Gettleman found out the Cleveland Browns used the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft on someone not named Barkley, he was ready to make the pick. Gettleman never seriously considered any other trade offers for the No. 2 pick and the only reason he waited to turn the pick in until the 5-minute mark is because NFL rules mandate it.

"No, not really, because once Cleveland took Baker, I told our guys don't even waste your time," Gettleman said when asked if he was in trade discussions before turning in the pick. "We're taking Saquon."

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Saquon-Barkley-earned-Gettlemans-top-grade-since-Peyton-Manning-117735715/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I didn't support benching Eli last year but surely we need to see Lauletta in a few games this year

Eli should have been benched last year. In hindsight he deserved it. His movement in the pocket has always been awful but his arm has fallen off a cliff. He's also too scared to take risks, something you wouldn't have associated with prime Eli.

At the time I disagreed with McAdoo but Eli is a major part of the problem on this offense. Yes, the OL has been garbage but I think it's given Eli an excuse for the past couple of years.

It's time to move on. This season is done anyway.

He has not been then most mobile of QBs but hard to say his movement in the pocket has always been awful

I disagree about last year esp deserving getting benched for Geno Smith

Eli was a fall guy but newho no point in re-thrashing last year

It is time to move on after this year certainly and I do think we need to see Lauletta in games esp when games are out of sight

May as well tank from now on bar divisional games

• Advertisement

VonZan wrote: »
    Eli should have been benched last year. In hindsight he deserved it. His movement in the pocket has always been awful but his arm has fallen off a cliff. He's also too scared to take risks, something you wouldn't have associated with prime Eli.

At the time I disagreed with McAdoo but Eli is a major part of the problem on this offense. Yes, the OL has been garbage but I think it's given Eli an excuse for the past couple of years.

It's time to move on. This season is done anyway.

No, he was actually well renowned for having excellent movement in the pocket for years under Gilbride's system, where he had 5 and 7 foot drops all the time.

The guy also played over 200+ consecutive games. Lets be real, that doesn't happen with awful pocket presence or movement.

Knex. wrote: »
    No, he was actually well renowned for having excellent movement in the pocket for years under Gilbride's system, where he had 5 and 7 foot drops all the time.

The guy also played over 200+ consecutive games. Lets be real, that doesn't happen with awful pocket presence or movement.

Excellent movement in the pocket? Come on.

Let's be real, I didn't say he had an awful pocket presence either. His movement has always been his worst attribute. To call it excellent is absurd.

VonZan wrote: »
    Excellent movement in the pocket? Come on.

Let's be real, I didn't say he had an awful pocket presence either. His movement has always been his worst attribute. To call it excellent is absurd.

Don't know what to tell you so, tbh. His mobility, yes. His pocket movement, no.

Mara v OBJ

Pat’s Perspectives: John Mara’s comments about Odell are spot on

Giants co-owner urges star receiver, who is part of the 1-5 team, to “play more, talk less”

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/10/16/17985870/ny-giants-john-mara-comments-about-odell-beckham-spot-on-pats-perspectives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Mara v OBJ

Giants co-owner urges star receiver, who is part of the 1-5 team, to “play more, talk less”

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/10/16/17985870/ny-giants-john-mara-comments-about-odell-beckham-spot-on-pats-perspectives

Complete trash from Mara, who knows he's made numerous mistakes over the last few years and now wants to shift blame to anybody else (especially an easy target like OBJ). It's far more Mara's fault the team is 1-5 than it is due to Beckham so maybe he should be the one to talk less.

• Advertisement

OBJ makes himself a target by his outbursts

He doesn't spout off to ESPN and then there is no story

Mara v OBJ

Mara is part of the problem not OBJ. If Mara didn't leave Reese in charge for so long maybe we would have some decent players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

OBJ makes himself a target by his outbursts

He doesn't spout off to ESPN and then there is no story

He 100% does make himself a target but someone needs to step up seeing as there appears to an absolute vacuum in leadership elsewhere in the building.

Do you think if there’s no story there’s no problem within the team? Seems strange to be more annoyed by the story than the situation the team is in due to several people, none named Beckham.

I really hope not tbh. He's always been poor under pressure, and our oline excel in exposing the QB to pressure.

Carr had the best pass protection in the league since he entered it.

I want Herbert in the 2019 draft. Just hope we don't get leapfrogged for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Knex. wrote:
    I want Herbert in the 2019 draft. Just hope we don't get leapfrogged for him.

Do you think he's good enough?

Do you think he's good enough?

At the moment, I do. Its still relatively early days in the process, but he has all the tools.

The knock against him is that he's afforded a lot of time in the pocket at Oregon and the system they employ, but there's a growing amount of hype with him.

More I read and watch, the more I'm seeing people rank him even ahead of last year's class. He definitely would have been in the top tier conversation anyway.

People are big on Alabama's Tua and Georgia's Jake Fromm for 2020, but when you dig deeper I'm seeing a lot of reservations about them translating to the NFL, especially Fromm. I don't see the same concerns with Herbert.

Biggest issue with Herbert is that he loves Oregon and his brother is joining next year. Even as consensus number 1 QB in the draft, he may not declare.

Drew Lock and Haskins are the other two main names thrown around for 2019. Lock started very well but last game or two not so much. He's a few years older than the other two and has improved year on year. He's a bit of a Patrick Mahomes type. Spread offense, rocket arm, good at the deepball, but has major accuracy issues for short and medium. Although think this year the offense is actually more pro styled, not positive however.

Mahomes doing better than a lot of the pre draft consensus could really help Lock's draft status actually.

Haskins is a bit of an enigma for me. Could end up Heismann winner, you wouldn't know. Have to see how he plays the year out, but he is winning Ohio state games on his own. Again I read concerns about his skill set at the pro level, which is the norm for spread system QBs. But we'll see what everyone is saying once the college season is done and dusted. Recent years with RPOs and more spread concepts in the pros seems to be helping young QBs anyway.

Ohio are number 2 ranked team in the country, so Haskins has a chance to really put himself on the map.

Another lost opportunity :(

Def a game we could have won

We now hold the number one pick. How pathetic is that, especially after last year. So who realistically is going to pay for this shambles - Shurmur? Gettleman?

Raiders have 5 1st rounders in next two drafts. They don't seem sold on Carr either. That's worrying, as they have the ammunition to grab a QB if they need one.

And if Herbert doesn't come out, then I've no idea where the Giants look. Teddy Bridgewater maybe. Uninspiring to say the least.

• Advertisement

I don't think Gettleman will pull the trigger on Herbert. The QB class coming out looks poor and will be even worse if Herbert doesn't declare, he said he's not declaring but you have to imagine his best chance is to come out rather than pulling a Barkley.

Eli needs to be replaced. His decision making when it matters just isn't where we need it to be. It's obvious that he's gotten away with it a bit considering his status in NY, what happened with McAdoo and everyone blaming the OLine for all our problems.

Gettleman has said all along when your in the top 5 picks you have to select a guy that you think will go to the hall of fame. I think we're more likely to go OT or DE with our first pick, especially if we're in the top two.

I also don't think we'll trade for a QB. With what we're paying Odell, I think we'll need a rookie QB contract to keep the good pieces of this team together and not have all the money on the offense.

Schumer doesn't seem to be improving this team either. Falcons have the second worse red zone defense and we made them look like All-Pros. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Apple to the Saints for 4th Rd 2019 and 7th Rd 2020 picks

Thanks jerry

Wow, surprised at that. He had done alright this year, and will likely do well with them.

We're full on rebuild mode so, which is no harm I suppose. I'm just surprised the front office is this blatant about it.

Jeez that doesn't seem like great value to me esp as we have nobody else at CB

Full on rebuild mode is right

Apparently the Giants are open for business

Going to be an even longer year now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭boccy23

Even more evidence that the rebuild is on:

Snacks gone to the Lions for a 5th rounder.

He was also spoken about last year as being divisive in the locker room. With Apple and Snacks gone, is this a character clean out as well?

Wow only a 5th

Awful value

Gettleman is just taking anything he can get his hands on

We may not win another game for the year

I thought last year was bad........

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    I thought last year was bad........

Agree with that. This year actually feels worse and all the same problems are there and we have addressed none of them.

Advertisement