Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just woke up to 5 messages on my phone from friends that are NFL fans asking the same thing..

Why draft Barkley and then trade away your best WR.. We all know Eli is fecked, but now we're in full tank mode and Barkley is gonna be ran into the ground with his best years wasted.. And why not trade OBJ last year before paying him?? That's dead cap now..

(just seen same points made on NFL season thread) apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Can't believe this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Is Gettleman on drugs?

Horrible trade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

Honestly not sure how I feel about this trade. The lack of two first sis the big thing for me.

And the following:

Most 2019 Dead Cap#Giants: $33.8M#Ravens: $23.6M#Steelers: $23M#Broncos: $21M#Cardinals: $16Mhttp://bit.ly/2OS6q21

We take on $16M in dead money over this.

But I think it was clear towards the back end of last year that we couldn't afford on the offense being built around Saquon to also have OBJ as the focal point. You can't have two focal points on an offense. This was leading to OBJ moaning and it was only going to end in a bad way. You take into account some of his other antics, and I am truly torn on this.

It is clearly a tear apart and rebuild process now. It is also clear where Gettleman wants to go with the offense and Saquon and the run game are key. I can see us ignoring the QB position in the draft now and focus on the Defense.

I do like the Peppers pick up. Better contract. I would say that the Browns would go with 2 firsts but Gettleman wanted Peppers and in doing so, this lead to the third round pick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

If we are in full tank mode i wonder then do they plan on picking up a QB next year when there is greater quality? If not why are they taking a $20m odd cap hit on Eli? I like Eli but if you are in future mode then let him go and get a QB who would at least have OBJ when learning the ropes. Now our WR depth is Shepard and a bunch of nobodies or never gonna be's.

• Advertisement

Very clear that Mara and Tisch signed off on these deals as well. Gettleman is being given a lot of rope with the Giants. I would have thought after the Reese debacle towards the end that we would have been more conservative.

p.s. The trade is being lambasted everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're not winning anything for a while, so I can't be too annoyed. Would have thought we could get a bit more, but Browns must view Peppers worthy of a 1st or high 2nd. Spose he was a 1st rounder himself.

Would love to get Haskins, but there's perhaps too many holes to trade up for him See who's there at 6, draft defense, and next year you have the basis of a roster and 100m cap space to push for playoffs once more.

I'll sure as hell miss OBJ, but we've won nothing with him, such was the dysfunctional nature of the team. Least we finally have an OL and RB worth talking about.

Our defense is bottom 3 in the league, however. Needs serious reinforcement.

Wonder will Peppers be a SS or play the moneybacker role for Betcher.

Our needs now:

Edge
    QB
    CB
    MLB
    WR
    FS
    RT

Not sure on the order.

Wonder too if Engram is being marked for a WR role, although not sure his route running is up to it.

Interesting read

Beckham was an A hole but he was prob our best player

Not sure the picks and player we got back will be worth it

In time they may or may not be

One thing for sure is that Gettleman needs to hit on every single one of our draft picks this year as we have so many holes to fill

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Interesting read

Beckham was an A hole but he was prob our best player

Not sure the picks and player we got back will be worth it

In time they may or may not be

One thing for sure is that Gettleman needs to hit on every single one of our draft picks this year as we have so many holes to fill

Gettleman and Shurmur are surely on the hot seat now. They need a winning season and that might not be enough if we dont make the playoffs (!!!!)

• Advertisement

Very hard to see where that will come from

Philly seem to have got better with the addition of Malik and DeSean Jackson. Also resigned Jason Peters

Dallas lost Cole Beasley but gained Witten

Redskins signing Collins will come back to haunt us I feel

I can see us vieing for the No 1 pick next year rather than the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

wawaman wrote: »
    Gettleman and Shurmur are surely on the hot seat now. They need a winning season and that might not be enough if we dont make the playoffs (!!!!)

Barring some sort of miracle, I don’t see them getting close to a winning season and forget about the playoffss. The problem you’re now clearly blowing things up and tanking (something that Gettleman had a rant about it not making sense, that has never worked, and he’d never do), do you trust Gettleman with trying to build things again. You’ve 2 firsts this year, likely a very early high draft pick in 2020, need to pick your future QB, and a have load of cap space next year – can you really trust him with that task? A few bad picks and bad contracts (that he’s given out a number in the past) and you’re facing being the new Browns.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/the-last-part-of-giants-odell-beckham-trade-recouped-draft-pick/

Interesting small detail

Initially, the deal agreed upon last Friday between the Giants and Browns involved a swap of players — Vernon for guard Kevin Zeitler — and also an exchange of draft picks. The Giants agreed to send their fourth-round pick (No. 132 overall) in the 2019 NFL Draft to the Browns and get back Cleveland’s fifth-round pick (No. 155 overall).

After the same two teams Tuesday night struck an even bigger deal, this one involving Beckham, a new agreement was reached, with the Giants retaining their fourth-round pick and the Browns keeping their fifth-round pick previously part of the Vernon trade. And so, when the NFL starts up its new year at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, the Giants will send Beckham and Vernon to the Browns and get back Zeitler, safety Jabrill Peppers, a Browns first-round pick (No. 17 overall) and a Browns third-round pick (No. 95 overall).

When the dust settles, the Giants will have 12 picks in the upcoming draft:

First round (2): No. 6 overall, No. 17 overall

Second round (1): No. 37

Third round (1): No. 95

Fourth round (2): No. 108, No. 133

Fifth round (3): No. 142, No. 143, No. 171

Sixth round (1): No. 180

Seventh round (2): No. 232, No. 245

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Interesting thoughts from Ed Valentine from Big Blue View.. The next few few days should give an indication if Manning is starting next season or not

"March 17.
    That is really the next key date in determining what, exactly, Gettleman and the Giants are doing. That is the day the Giants are due to pay Manning a $5 million 2019 roster bonus. Until Tuesday night, I was certain they were going to do that.
    ...Maybe the Giants just save the $5 million, cut the cord and accelerate the inevitable.
    or
    What if the play for the Giants is Josh Rosen? I keep hearing that the expected price tag for Rosen is the value of a second-round pick. What if the Giants use their 6th and 17th picks to bulk up the roster, and deal the 37th pick to the Arizona Cardinals for Rosen"

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/3/13/18263702/ny-giants-rumors-news-whats-next-giants-after-odell-beckham-trade-eli-manning-dave-gettleman

Is Rosen worth a second rounder?

Hard to see us not being in the race for no 1 next year

Apparently QB class better next year too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

At this stage what is the benefit of keep Eli? If you're tanking, do it with a cheaper guy. If you're moving to a young QB, back him up with a cheaper guy. If you want a guy to hand the ball off to Barkley, do it with a cheaper guy who actually has some level of mobility.

The only reason I can see him being kept is some deluded loyalty.

We need a QB of the future

Not sure it's Rosen or Haskins

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If I had to bet, I think Giants are either going to either trade for the 1st pick with Arizona, or trade for Rosen.

At this stage, I'd be surprised if they didn't ultimately trade with them for one of the options. Too much smoke without fire.

There was a time when I was proud of the way that this franchise was run. This was under George Young, Ernie Accorsi, Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlan. Heck even Dan Reeves was a gentleman.

But since Jerry Reese came on board and they forced out TC, this has been a franchise in decline. It is now a laughing stock and there needs to be a complete overhaul on the way we do things, or we will end up as a perennial loser.

The level of input from ownership has to be questioned now. Is Tisch now running the show and the Mara's on the back foot. We used to be a franchise with a high moral regard and people within the league would always respect and point to the way the Giants were being run. Now, we are trundling a long from crisis to crisis with no end in sight and certainly no clear visible "plan". If there was a plan, then why did we extend OBJ only to "give" him away less than 12 months later. Pay him €20M and be left with this as dead money. Continue with Eli as the only viable QB. He has a $23.2M cap hit. We can save $5M by cutting him now but where would that leave us. Knowing us, we will pay him that on March 11th and cut him the following day!

We had a chance last year to get a franchise altering QB. All of industry thinking was that picking as high as we were, that position scarcity meant we had to go with a QB. But we went RB. Now, the results were impressive, but all we did was kick the can down the road. And here we are talking about trading a first round pick for a QB we didn't select last year. Again, no semblance of a plan.

This was a once proud franchise which has fallen a long way from grace.

Sad reading but 100% on the money

Long way back

I just hope the rebuild will be quicker than I think it is

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    If I had to bet, I think Giants are either going to either trade for the 1st pick with Arizona, or trade for Rosen.

At this stage, I'd be surprised if they didn't ultimately trade with them for one of the options. Too much smoke without fire.

Funny enough I think Gettleman will stay put at 6

See where the draft falls

We have so many needs I'm not sure trading up is a good idea

You might get Rosen in a trade if the Cardinals select Murray

However is Rosen that good?

I wasn't wowed by him coming up to the draft last year

Might be better BPA this year so all our picks

Tank next year and go QB then with a high pick

We may have in excess of €100m in Cap space next offseason after Eli is gone which should help

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We may have in excess of €100m in Cap space next offseason after Eli is gone which should help

Ha ha brave man assuming Eli will be gone next year !!!

Every good thing has to end even Eli

No way he's getting naywhere near €20 at 39 even if he's MVP this year

The Giants are in talks with Chris Hogan apparently

The Giants are in talks with Chris Hogan apparently

He wasn't any good with TB12 under centre so why would Eli make him look better. Christ on a bike!

And we’ve just signed Golden Tate to a 4 year deal ��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

4 year deal with 23 million in guarantees

And we’ve just signed Golden Tate to a 4 year deal ��
    $37.5 million deal that includes $23 million fully guaranteed, per source. (acc to Adam Schefter)

Seems a lot but depends on how it's structured

• Advertisement

BW Webb signs for the Bengals

Advertisement