Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Irish would make a Lions Team/Squad right now?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The answer to both is up the in air. I imagine the squad will be similar to last time round so 37 or so. Whether its 22 or 23 man squads will depend on the trail done this Nov, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 23 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If it's 23 (and it probably will be), that means 1 or 2 more props will travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

jacothelad wrote: »
    I don't think Ross has even a remote chance of going. Adam Jones and Dan Cole are better players. Corbisiero can play both sides of the scrum though is better at 1. Corbs, Jenkins and Healy will make up the 5 I think will go.

I wouldnt be that surprised by Ross travelling if Ireland have a GS season or something like that, although that itself would surprise me. He's the type of player who just goes quietly about his job and does it well, when the team as a whole is performing well his stock rises but tends to slip under the radar when the teams underperforming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ross travel. Tighthead is a position with a high rate of attrition and he seems to suffer quite few injuries (47 senior appearances since his 6N debut in February 2011) which is a positive in his favour. They took 3 tightheads in 2009 along with Gethin Jenkins who has significant tighthead experience. If they're going to take 3 dedicated tightheads again, I'd say he's in with a very good chance. However, I'd certainly have Jones and Cole ahead of him. If Cole can get a good run of games under his belt, I can see him being the man for the job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With 10 games in just over a month, Gareth Edwards attention to detail and 23 man squads, I could see them bringing 4 loose and 4 tight ends rather than having to call someone up.

• Advertisement

Refreshingly honest summation of the players of the English tour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9352919/Englands-tour-of-South-Africa-player-ratings.html

Don't get the Robshaw love, but apart from that spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's strange because at the moment if you look at the four home nations we're at best third out of four and yet I still strongly believe we have the best individual players of the four countries.

I fancy we'll get 11 players in the squad, Healy, Best, O'Connell, Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Bowe, Earls and Kearney. I also think that they're are live contenders for the test team. All this despite having a below par test record at the moment which probably says more about the management but that's being discussed elsewhere.

As for bolters, well I like the sentiment from one or two regarding Iain Henderson but realistically that's not going to happen. Someone like Dominic Ryan would be a more likely bolter (especially with SOB out for a few months) or possibly someone like Craig Gilroy or Simon Zebo, maybe even Andrew Conway if he gets into the Leinster team with Fitz out, it's still unlikely they'll make it as they aren't even capped for Ireland yet but then that's why they're called bolters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There is usually a player with little or in some cases no previous international experience on the tours. John Bentley in 97, Ollie Smith in 2005, and Earls in 2009 spring to mind. They would have all been playing regularly and doing well with their clubs at the time. Henderson will struggle to get game time this season so I can't see him in the mix at all. Dominic Ryan is a possibility but again he'd have to playing pretty regularly for Leinster to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Refreshingly honest summation of the players of the English tour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9352919/Englands-tour-of-South-Africa-player-ratings.html

Don't get the Robshaw love, but apart from that spot on.

Barnes is all over him too, but I just don't get it either.

Captain of the Lions midweek team is his calling imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

bilston wrote: »
    It's still unlikely they'll make it as they aren't even capped for Ireland yet but then that's why they're called bolters.

Well, a year before the last tour (i.e. summer 2008), Keith Earls had never started for Munster, let alone Ireland, and Lee Halfpenny had only appeared once for the Blues, yet both were on the plane to South Africa so it's not totally out of the question, but it will take something special alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

liammur wrote: »
    The Lions will win the series, Aus by far the weakest of the tri-nations. I'd say 3 Irish will make the test team.

There's practically nothing between SA and Australia, how you can say they are by far the weakest tri nations team when they won it last year is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

brinty wrote: »
    honestly, and trying to guess on Gatlands type of squad of big bruising players, which Ireland does not have, I only see about 8 payers going as set out below..I think the Welsh will have 20 the english 10/12 and the scots 4
    Healy - Midweek
    Best - test starter
    POC - Midweek/test bench
    SOB - Midweek/ test bench!!
    Reddan - Midweek (Gats wanted him to tour when still a Wasp??)
    Sexton - Midweek
    Bowe - Test Starter
    Kearney - Midweek (not in test squad as Gats will start Priestland at FH and need Halfpenny at FB as his Kicker, and Rob not versatile enough for bench)

How does that sound

If gatland wants to win, healy, sexton and SOB all need to start. If gatland plays priestland at 10 for the tests ill lose all respect for him

Id be more worried about him buying into the ashton hype and playing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    There's practically nothing between SA and Australia, how you can say they are by far the weakest tri nations team when they won it last year is beyond me

In fairness, last season's 3N shouldn't be used to gauge much. Australia are the only side that took it seriously. Both SA and NZ put out seriously understrength sides at times as they used it as a warm up for the WC. I don't think it would be wrong to say Australia, over a three test series, would be the weakest Tri Nations side. They've nowhere near the quality of NZ nor the depth of SA. Take two or three players out of their side and they're in big trouble. I would think this could be the first Lions tour in a long time (ever?) where the tourists will be going in as favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

GerM wrote: »
    In fairness, last season's 3N shouldn't be used to gauge much. Australia are the only side that took it seriously. Both SA and NZ put out seriously understrength sides at times as they used it as a warm up for the WC. I don't think it would be wrong to say Australia, over a three test series, would be the weakest Tri Nations side. They've nowhere near the quality of NZ nor the depth of SA. Take two or three players out of their side and they're in big trouble. I would think this could be the first Lions tour in a long time (ever?) where the tourists will be going in as favourites.

The assumption that they are far the weakest side in the tir nations doesn't hold water though. They're better than SA IMO

Advertisement