Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Irish would make a Lions Team/Squad right now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Let's see:
    1. POC
    2. DOC
    3. Ferris
    4. Heaslip
    5. O'Gara
    6. D'Arcy
    7. Fitz
    8. BOD
    9. Bowe
    10. Earls
    11. Kearney
    and Hayes went out as cover. Am I missing anyone? Healy didn't go, did he?

Edit: Forgot Wallace. Did Flannery actually make it to SA, or did he get injured while still here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

.ak wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, it'll probably be a far cry away from the amount of Irish travelling on the last tour. How many traveled in 09? Like 13 or something?
    NZ in winter never really grabbed me. Hamilton and Christchurch in June? With Aussie only just across the ditch?
    Nei takk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Halfpenny's last man defence is better then Kearney's too. Kearns is definitely the better all round full back though.

It is definitely a long shot but if Mads continues his progression he may travel (more likely as injury back up). Given the complete dearth of quality fly halves its a minor chance. Pretty much only a chance if he grabs the 21 slot for Ireland (which he should). Offers something different.

I was trying to work out who you were talking about in a Lions context and then I realised...minor chance or not...come on now!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Very minor shot. I don't think it will happen but the fly half options aren't exactly stellar. His only shot is if he gets the bench spot for Ireland in Nov and the 6N. Which he should but won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Let's see:
    1. POC
    2. DOC
    3. Ferris
    4. Heaslip
    5. O'Gara
    6. D'Arcy
    7. Fitz
    8. BOD
    9. Bowe
    10. Earls
    11. Kearney
    and Hayes went out as cover. Am I missing anyone? Healy didn't go, did he?

Edit: Forgot Wallace. Did Flannery actually make it to SA, or did he get injured while still here?

Flannery got injured in the camp in Pennyhill, before the Lions flew out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Very minor shot. I don't think it will happen but the fly half options aren't exactly stellar. His only shot is if he gets the bench spot for Ireland in Nov and the 6N. Which he should but won't.

If the rumours about our opposition in November are true then there should be an opportunity for Madigan against Fiji but you're probably right.

I suppose the thing about the Lions is that form is everything, it's how you're playing in the 2013 6Ns and HEC knockout games that will count, not how you're playing now so on that basis who knows what will happen. Ireland were awful in 2008 and yet 2009 was the best year in Irish rugby history with, as said above, 13 Lions to top it all off.

Right now I fancy Farrell, Sexton and Priestland (I still think he might get shown up to be living off the likes of Roberts and Davies with the help of 1/2p's kicking though but Gatland will surely take him) will be the three 10s to travel, but guys like Flood, Weir and even the oldies likes Jones and O'Gara may still fancy their chances and then there are guys like Rhuaridh Jackson, Freddie Burns and Dan Biggar too who at the minute would all be ahead of Madigan IMO. That's a long queue of players for him to move up. Good to see another Irish out half emerge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

TOL and Quinlan would have travelled but for injury and suspension too

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Atomik

In the back row, I'd have
    6. Ferris
    7. Warburton
    8. O'Brien

Other than that... Kearney (starter) Bowe (starter) O'Driscoll (starter) O'Connell (starter) Best (starter) Healy (starter)

Mike Ross and Sean Cronin ( :confused: )would be on the plane, as well as sexton on the bench and maybe Jamie heaslip.
    If his form picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Atomik wrote: »
    In the back row, I'd have
    6. Ferris
    7. Warburton
    8. O'Brien

Other than that... Kearney (starter) Bowe (starter) O'Driscoll (starter) O'Connell (starter) Best (starter) Healy (starter)

Mike Ross and Sean Cronin ( :confused: )would be on the plane, as well as sexton on the bench and maybe Jamie heaslip.
    If his form picks up

Missed the game today so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

I think Kearney and Sexton may be certs if they keep playing like they did today.

• Advertisement

15 Kearney
    14 Bowe/ Cuthburt
    13 BOD (captain)
    12 Roberts/Davies
    11 North
    10 Sexton
    9 Blair
    8 Heaslip
    7 Warburton
    6 Ferris/Denton/ Lydiate
    5 POC
    4 Grey
    3 Ross
    2 Blair/Best
    1 Healy

My own team at the moment, could all change in another month though!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    15 Kearney
    14 Bowe/ Cuthburt
    13 BOD (captain)
    12 Roberts/Davies
    11 North
    10 Sexton
    9 Blair
    8 Heaslip
    7 Warburton
    6 Ferris/Denton/ Lydiate
    5 POC
    4 Grey
    3 Ross
    2 Blair/Best
    1 Healy

My own team at the moment, could all change in another month though!

I dont think Ross or heaslip or BOD will start tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Careful Now

15 Kearney
    14 Ashton
    13 Tulagi
    12 Roberts
    11 North
    10 Sexton
    9 Phillips
    8 SO'B
    7 Warburton
    6 Ferris
    5 POC
    4 Grey
    3 Jones
    2 Best
    1 Jenkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Kearney and Ferris I would say are favourites to be starters as things stand. Probably Sexton too. Struggling to think of anyone else, even POC might not start with the quality of locks available and Ferris might not be first choice with Lydiate there.

Very long way to go anyway. Ireland could win a Joe Schmidt inspired Grand Slam with 5 tries per game scored and none conceded next season for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

danthefan wrote: »
    Kearney and Ferris I would say are favourites to be starters as things stand. Probably Sexton too. Struggling to think of anyone else, even POC might not start with the quality of locks available and Ferris might not be first choice with Lydiate there.

Very long way to go anyway. Ireland could win a Joe Schmidt inspired Grand Slam with 5 tries per game scored and none conceded next season for all we know.

It's going to be a very strong squad and every place is a toss up.
    If Gatland is coach then even Ferris or Kearney are not guaranteed. Lydiate is Shaun Edwards no.1 and they adore halfpenny.
    Sexton would start but Farrell in another year could be savage.

Personally I reckon Best, POC, Ferris, Sexton and Kearney will all start.

The poorest positions for the lions up for grabs are the scrumhalf and no.8. Let Parra and Parisse come in as 2 European wildcards and we would be sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

d-gal wrote: »
    It's going to be a very strong squad and every place is a toss up.
    If Gatland is coach then even Ferris or Kearney are not guaranteed. Lydiate is Shaun Edwards no.1 and they adore halfpenny.
    Sexton would start but Farrell in another year could be savage.

Personally I reckon Best, POC, Ferris, Sexton and Kearney will all start.

The poorest positions for the lions up for grabs are the scrumhalf and no.8. Let Parra and Parisse come in as 2 European wildcards and we would be sorted!

Halfpenny is great but picking him over Kearney, atm, would be an absolute travesty!
    Farrell isn't actually as good as people are making him out to be, he is an excellent player but on his day Sexton is much better. Farrell was made to look better than he is against us by our own inept scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

If Sexton starts 10 there's no need to pick Halfpenny as the only thing he has on Kearney is goal kicking.

If BOD maintains anything close to his current form he's a nailed on starter and probable captain

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    If BOD maintains anything close to his current form he's a nailed on starter and probable captain

The Welsh centres are just as good now at the moment to be fair. Roberts and Davies are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've spent the last 3 years waiting to see Bod and Roberts play together again, the world will have never seen the likes of the hell I shall unleash if some coach takes that away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

on the hard ground in Oz, i'd expect Healy, Best, POC, Ferris, Heaslip, SOB, Sexton, Kearney, Bowe to all be in with a shout of making the test team (based on current form)

If the first test was tomorrow, I'd pick:

Kearney
    North
    BOD
    Roberts
    Hogg
    Sexton
    Phillips
    Healy
    Best
    Jones
    Gray
    O'Connell
    Ferris
    S Armitage
    Heaslip

Bench: Strauss, Jenkins, Cole, Wyn Jones, Warburton, Reddan, Farrell, Halfpenny

... although I can't imagine a Lions team ever being picked with so few English in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

bamboozle wrote: »
    on the hard ground in Oz, i'd expect Healy, Best, POC, Ferris, Heaslip, SOB, Sexton, Kearney, Bowe to all be in with a shout of making the test team (based on current form)

Far too many there is no way the entire Irish back-row will start. One is the best we can probably hope for imo in the back row. Also, Jenkins if fit will start over Healy. Still a long way to go but can see them picking on international form and the way things are going- with a nasty looking run of games in the 6n- and with the current management we have I can see us struggling in the 6n and hence having poor representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If the first test was tomorrow

If the first test was tomorrow POC would still be injured and Strauss wouldn't be eligible to play, just sayin like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Does BOD not count as Irish either??

Hogg should also be moved to 13, Glasgow/Scotland could do with him there.

The depth the Lions will have in the back 3 is incredible. Kearney, Halfpenny and Foden to choose from for fullback! Plus Hogg is a bolter but he might be converted to 13 (destroyed Munster a few weeks ago playing there).

A potential weakness is at scrumhalf, Phillips is annoyingly inconsistent. Hopefully Youngs can cut out his attitude problem and get back his old form, really talented player.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

The depth the Lions will have in the back 3 is incredible. Kearney, Halfpenny and Foden to choose from for fullback! Plus Hogg is a bolter but he might be converted to 13 (destroyed Munster a few weeks ago playing there).

A potential weakness is at scrumhalf, Phillips is annoyingly inconsistent. Hopefully Youngs can cut out his attitude problem and get back his old form, really talented player.

Tim Visser will have been playing for Scotland for a year by then too. If he's as good in Test rugby as he is week in week out I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

lologram wrote: »
    Tim Visser will have been playing for Scotland for a year by then too. If he's as good in Test rugby as he is week in week out I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

Oh yeah, forgot about Visser, he'd be a definite candidate for a test spot.

Oh yeah, forgot about Visser, he'd be a definite candidate for a test spot.

Bowe, Ashton, North, Cuthbert, Fitzgerald

IMO all the above are better than Visser. He's a brilliant attacking player but an average defender. If he can improve his defence he is in with a great shout of touring but even then I don't see him making the test side with the competition.

I can see Stuart Hogg being a bolter like Keith Earls was back in 2009. He can play anywhere in the backline like Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I remember Hogg saying his idol was BOD, and he clearly has the skillset to succeed at 13. You would think Glasgow/Scotland would want someone as talented as that to be in a pivotal position where Scotland have few alternatives, I would personally like to see him there more often, could be very very good.

Advertisement