Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The horizon box does not use a physical smart card.

Which part of this is confusing?

I have not heard a single report here or elsewhere that techs are installing smart cards in horizon boxes, where did that gem of misinformation come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

ted1 wrote: »
    Having the card in will not cause any issue, a lot of the installation techs are installing them. Perhaps as part of the trial there looking at different options. If its in it leave it, if its not the don't stick it in.

No need to cause confusion
    Installation techs some of them are not fully trained yet on Horizon so some will only be used to previous non horizon install setup
    The Smart card slot on back of Horizon is disabled for now as per information in the user guide page 6
    If its becomes activated at some stage it will be important you don't have a previous card in the slot
    until UPC decide that they will be using this card slot for different purpose

No need to cause confusion

Its very clear in the instruction install guide supplied by UPC with your Horizon HD Box
    Connect the coax cable from the TV port on your wall to the COAX IN socket on the Horizon TV

HD+ box. Check that both connectors are securely tightened. Connect the black power cable to

your Horizon TV HD+ box and then plug it into the power socket. Switch on your set-top box.

No smart card required, so do not use your old card in this box. Once connected, please allow

1 hour for your box to be fully activated
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/D21920_UPC%20Install%20Guide_HR_Xerox_Proof.pdf

This is the instructions UPC gave with the box
    Very clear it says do not use your old card in this box
    This information is Direct from UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

prolix wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with the wifi and my iMac. Connects fine and gets a valid IP, but no connection to the internet. Wired connection has no issue, and have even tried turning off horizon wifi and using my own AP and this works perfectly.

Definitely something up with the wifi. Poor signal on my iPhone as well. If the signal strength on my phone drops to 1 bar then I get no internet access. Again, my AP works perfectly and it's physically right beside the horizon box.

UPC say they've checked the box and everything looks normal. Nothing special set up on the iMac to cause the issue.

I have an iMac and Horizon. Absolutely no issue with wifi .... connected first time ..... did not need to make any config changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

towger wrote: »
    I have an iMac and Horizon. Absolutely no issue with wifi .... connected first time ..... did not need to make any config changes.

Are you able to watch tv on www.horizon.tv on your IMac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I still have the old box and card etc in the house- I wonder if I just replugged it in would i be back to a stable system where you could rely on your ' recordings' not being dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

paulboland wrote: »
    All them are self install, different than tech install. If it is disabled having it in does nothing, so no need to rant on about it.

prolix wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with the wifi and my iMac. Connects fine and gets a valid IP, but no connection to the internet. Wired connection has no issue, and have even tried turning off horizon wifi and using my own AP and this works perfectly.

Definitely something up with the wifi. Poor signal on my iPhone as well. If the signal strength on my phone drops to 1 bar then I get no internet access. Again, my AP works perfectly and it's physically right beside the horizon box.

UPC say they've checked the box and everything looks normal. Nothing special set up on the iMac to cause the issue.
    Hi what version of the imac do you have what year did you get it
    Also have you updated the iMac using its software update

I have noticed on my iPhone 4 its not great for wifi streaming using the horizon wifi as its has signal drop outs this is a known problem upc are aware of you might not notice this problem if you don't use a iPhone 4 to stream video using apps like Air Video or Air Playit
    Its fine for normal basic use wifi but problems show when iPhone needs constant connection you wont get that using the horizon wifi

I have solved this by using my own belkin wireless router in wireless access mode to connect my iPhone 4
    No wifi problems using my Belkin Wireless Router for apple devices

All them are self install, different than tech install. If it is disabled having it in does nothing, so no need to rant on about it.
    TED please don't tell customers its ok to leave there previous smart card in horizon slot
    Having the card in will not cause any issue, a lot of the installation techs are installing them. Perhaps as part of the trial there looking at different options. If its in it leave it, if its not the don't stick it in
    That advice is wrong and misinformation you have posted

I have given very clear information you must not do this and its disabled for now but that may change so that's why you MUST not put the card in the horizon
    Information I have given is from UPC
    So its not ranting your post has said its ok when its not ok to have the card in the box
    Horizon system is completely different than the Previous UPC Digital boxes

TED please don't tell customers its ok to leave there previous smart card in horizon slot
    Having the card in will not cause any issue, a lot of the installation techs are installing them

Sorry do you work for UPC? Trained techs are leaving them in it. Who are you to say otherwise ?

• Advertisement

Horizon box freezing I have noticed the Horizon HD Box gets very warm and it has a fan on the underside of the Box
    I turned off the Box fully unplug it and left its on it side for about 15 min let it cool down
    Make sure its the side were no air vents are

I then put the Horizon back into its normal position and put plug back in and powered up
    I also put the Horizon box in different location on bottom of TV stand shelf instead of the middle shelf

The box is responding now fully ok no remote freeze and all working perfect
    How long this last for I will keep watch on I have a suspicion the freezing is caused by the box overheating as its fan placement is not very good as its on the underside of the box

Horizon box freezing I have noticed the Horizon HD Box gets very warm and it has a fan on the underside of the Box
    I turned off the Box fully unplug it and left its on it side for about 15 min let it cool down

I then put the Horizon back into its normal position and put plug back in and powered up
    I also put the Horizon box in different location on bottom of TV stand shelf instead of the middle shelf

How long this last for I will keep watch on I have a suspicion the freezing is caused by the box overheating as its fan placement is not very good as its on the underside of the box

what a load of crap

Sorry do you work for UPC? Trained techs are leaving them in it. Who are you to say otherwise ?
    What trained techs you talking about as I have not heard of any tech doing this
    I have heard of upc customer service tech who are not horizon trained giving wrong information was told this by Horizon Tech member himself who I have been giving feedback to and he has provided me with the problems they know about and are working on

Has anyone who has had a tech install done had the tech put there previous card in the box if yes let me know and important call upc to tell them they have done this
    I curious to find out if there was any tech install were this did happen

keps wrote: »
    what a load of crap
    It not crap I did this today and the box has been perfect so far if you read what I have said I watch this to see how long it takes for the box to start freezing again

What trained techs you talking about as I have not heard of any tech doing this
    I have heard of upc customer service tech who are not horizon trained giving wrong information was told this by Horizon Tech member himself who I have been giving feedback to and he has provided me with the problems they know about and are working on

Has anyone who has had a tech install done had the tech put there previous card in the box if yes let me know and important call upc to tell them they have done this
    I curious to find out if there was any tech install were this did happen
    I've had 2 different techs do it.

Why would I call them? If its disabled then it does nothing, if they enable it, it'll simple work or give an invalid card error.

You need to relax your getting very wound up about the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Anyone know how to reset the master code? It was the same as the purchase code, which works! Don't understand what's after happening to it, I have tried 1234 & 0000

iDann wrote: »
    Anyone know how to reset the master code? It was the same as the purchase code, which works! Don't understand what's after happening to it, I have tried 1234 & 0000

Horizon HD Recorder standard pin is 0000

are you talking about PIN SETTINGS in parental control settings
    This code manages the parental control and makes it possible to order On Demand content.

was this changed by you or someone else
    The default PIN code is 0000
    if this was changed and you cant remember or don't know the code it was changed to you have to get upc to reset it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Finally ive had enough with this box of buggy crap..was one of the first people to get the trial box months ago..and tonight was the last straw for me and the wife...programs not recording..and when recording only recording half of the program.
    Thought the wife was going to throw it out the window tbh..it will be going back to UPC so they can stick it where the sun dont shine.
    rant over..grrr

Well after 7 hours the box has started to have freezing with remote again
    I had no problems at all for the last 7 hours
    Will do some checks again as I do think the some of the freezing problem with horizon is its overheating
    Was told before it was a software problem on horizon box with the new remote as code needs to be changed on the horizon as previous remote did not freeze
    I think its a bit of both the software and box overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Synode wrote: »
    Are you able to watch tv on www.horizon.tv on your IMac?

Yes I am, it worked previously when I had the Thompson router and still does now since moving to the Horizon box. Have you installed the correct version of the Widevine plugin ? See here : http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/532

Just to add .. I'm on Mountain Lion .... Mac purchased early 2011.

• Advertisement

I still have the old box and card etc in the house- I wonder if I just replugged it in would i be back to a stable system where you could rely on your ' recordings' not being dropped?
    It will work I tried it all channels were working
    but the on demand part you get a error code
    I did not try to record so don't know if that works or not

Only problem is if upc see your using both horizon and your previous digital box same time they might charge you for both

If your fed up with horizon they will re activate your previous setup if you want
    But you will have to either choose to keep horizon and get multiroom
    or cancel horizon and go back to digital + box

The annoying thing about Horizon for me is that I have no sophisticated
    ( for me anyway) requirements,

No printers/shared systems/Imac/laptop requirements

All I want is to be able to watch TV and record stuff.

Yes that is what I said 'AND RECORD STUFF'( like I was able to do 15 years ago with a bleedin' crappy VHS recorder)

This simple task seems beyond the powers of Horizon.

I'm out.

The annoying thing about Horizon for me is that I have no sophisticated
    ( for me anyway) requirements,

No printers/shared systems/Imac/laptop requirements

All I want is to be able to watch TV and record stuff.

Yes that is what I said 'AND RECORD STUFF'( like I was able to do 15 years ago with a bleedin' crappy VHS recorder)

This simple task seems beyond the powers of Horizon.

I'm out.

Horizon yes it has problems
    In Holland now they give customers the option on packages to choose to have horizon box or use a digital HD box or standard digital + box and separate router

In your case if its only TV and recording you need the Digital + box or HD box would be better for you

Horizon has its good points but its problems need to be fixed
    Its software and hardware not working correct

I expect when Horizon goes live in Ireland as its still a trial at the moment they will follow what Holland are doing give you choice what hardware you can decide to use with your chosen package

For what I have seen Horizon Its software that's needs sorting and new box been made that's needed as its not just the software that causing the problems

This happen with Sky HD when it first came out with the Thompson box
    I went through 2 Sky HD Thompson Boxes before it was replaced by a Amstrad one
    was fixed with new box been made with better parts been used and software fixes

This is what UPC need to do get the Box Hardware problems fixed and its software

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prolix

Hi what version of the imac do you have what year did you get it
    Also have you updated the iMac using its software update

I have noticed on my iPhone 4 its not great for wifi streaming using the horizon wifi as its has signal drop outs this is a known problem upc are aware of you might not notice this problem if you don't use a iPhone 4 to stream video using apps like Air Video or Air Playit
    Its fine for normal basic use wifi but problems show when iPhone needs constant connection you wont get that using the horizon wifi

I have solved this by using my own belkin wireless router in wireless access mode to connect my iPhone 4
    No wifi problems using my Belkin Wireless Router for apple devices

It's a late 2007 aluminium iMac. It had no issues with the old UPC wireless (which was a netgear unit I believe) and is completely up to date with software patches etc.

I was also experiencing connection drops on my 4S even when in the same room as the horizon box.

As I said, once I switched to my own AP everything worked perfectly so it's all a bit odd. Someone had suggested that Apple devices prefer shorter SSID's and this did appear to slightly improve things, but still not to an acceptable level.

Other devices (Windows XP, 7, 8) seem to have no connection issues at all which makes it even more frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

towger wrote: »
    Yes I am, it worked previously when I had the Thompson router and still does now since moving to the Horizon box. Have you installed the correct version of the Widevine plugin ? See here : http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/532

Just to add .. I'm on Mountain Lion .... Mac purchased early 2011.

Cheers. Don't know why it won't work for me. I've tried about 5 different versions of Widevine, including versions straight from the Widevine site. Just will not work. I'll leave UPC to try sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

Does anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the buttons on the box (power, channel up and down etc) as I've a baby who loves to pull herself up at the tv and always brushes off the box and turns it off (or changes channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

What are customers paying for this service? I have UPC broadband at the moment and SKY TV. I registered my interest in Horizon a few weeks back and got an email yesterday asking me to call them about taking it for a "trial" price. I had previously been quoted 61 quid for TV + Broadband with UPC. And the girl on the phone confirmed this was the price for a normal box with BB.

I asked what the price was for horizon TV + BB and was told it was 68 quid!? So I said "So you are telling me its an extra 7 quid a month just for the box?" and she agreed it was. Doesn't sound right to me, especially considering the email i got said:

"As we are still in the process of finalizing our Horizon TV bundle pricing ahead of the launch we are offering you our trial price"

....doesn't seem like a trial price to me :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

Hi Folks,

Just to clarify, you do not need to have your old smart card inserted in your Horizon HD+ box.

@ted1, if you can PM UPC: Reps with your account details we can review with the technician regarding what you were advised.

If anyone has any other queries regarding the Horizon HD+ trial just PM UPC: Reps for this.

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

All i want is for the box to give me the side bar when i press the OK button on the remote. Only thing i miss :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement