Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Due to circumstances, I haven't been able to return the old box yet. But I was instructed to put the old card into the Horizon box. I'd definitely keep the card because I'm 99% sure it is necessary for the new box to work correctly.
    Strange, the trial horizon users have no card (like myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Meesared wrote: »
    Strange, the trial horizon users have no card (like myself)

Perhaps I picked them up wrong, but there certainly was a slot for the smart card and using the old smart card hasn't created any problems for me thus far. I was switching between the old and new boxes initially as I had some teething problems, and whilst on the phone to Tech Support the girl asked me to put the card into the new box.

As an aside, it is incredibly difficult to remove the card from the new box. I had to use a tweezers to get any sort of a grip on it, given it's proximity to the scart connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Cheers lads thanks for all the info appreciate it! Think I will hold onto the card and see what happens eh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Perhaps I picked them up wrong, but there certainly was a slot for the smart card and using the old smart card hasn't created any problems for me thus far. I was switching between the old and new boxes initially as I had some teething problems, and whilst on the phone to Tech Support the girl asked me to put the card into the new box.

As an aside, it is incredibly difficult to remove the card from the new box. I had to use a tweezers to get any sort of a grip on it, given it's proximity to the scart connection.
    Your user guide that came with horizon states clearly don't put your card into the box
    I not sure if you will have caused any damage but that slot is for a different purpose that's not been used yet
    You possibly had no horizon person from upc talking to you and was only non horizon trained used to previous upc digibox

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

paulboland wrote: »
    Your user guide that came with horizon states clearly don't put your card into the box
    I not sure if you will have caused any damage but that slot is for a different purpose that's not been used yet
    You possibly had no horizon person from upc talking to you and was only non horizon trained used to previous upc digibox

Possibly. I hadn't switched the card over until I was told to do so. But it's working well for me so far. I'll remove the card from the Horizon box tomorrow and see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

I gave my old card back with the old box. There is no card in the Horizon box.

I would safely estimate there are 1000+ trial users out there with no card in the Horizon box. Myself included.

And how are you guys finding the horizon box have most of the issues seem to have been addressed and fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

i have my old upc card in my new horizon box should i remove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Im sure someone answered this already, but it will take me forever to find the answer searching through the thread.

When I stream videos to the box it seems that it stretches the video out and it looks weird. How do I fix this?

• Advertisement

DylanII wrote: »
    Im sure someone answered this already, but it will take me forever to find the answer searching through the thread.

When I stream videos to the box it seems that it stretches the video out and it looks weird. How do I fix this?
    horizon settings video/audio
    format conversion

i have my old upc card in my new horizon box should i remove it?
    yes remove it

Card slot For UPC smart cards.
    (Disabled) this is from your upc guide page 6

This information is on your installation guide read me first
    that came with your horizon box
    No smart card required, so do not use your old card in this box

Read your user guide and also your installation guide that came with your horizon box
    Rule in general with any new equipment is always read any user manual you get with any product or any other info given

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Ok I am very close after the few months now to returning the box as they don't seem to be addressing the issues:
    1) Remote control slow and unresponsive to enter channel numbers
    2) TV Guide - either too slow or too fast, a pain to use
    3) Losing recordings, just noticed for the third time that it has lost my set up recordings for a bunch of regular shows
    4) scrolling around and accessing the TV box sets is a pain and the icons don't always have icons or in order
    5) Really slow to delete programmes, very tedious to do if you have a few to remove and the amount of steps you need to go through to delete a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

redman wrote: »
    Ok I am very close after the few months now to returning the box as they don't seem to be addressing the issues:
    3) Losing recordings, just noticed for the third time that it has lost my set up recordings for a bunch of regular shows
    4) scrolling around and accessing the TV box sets is a pain and the icons don't always have icons or in order
    5) Really slow to delete programmes, very tedious to do if you have a few to remove and the amount of steps you need to go through to delete a few

They're more or less the same reasons mine went back last week and an "old" HD DVR installed. The interface on the old box may not be pretty but at least its quick, usually, apart from the times it freezes and the box needs to be power cycled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

These are my issues with the box too. You would imagine a simple software fix could resolve a lot of them. E.g. change 'delete everything'to delete series and that's one thing partly solved. I have outlined other suggestions earlier in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

I agree with this too. Last night another series link dropped. That's two in the space of seven days.
    The remote control functionality has not been addressed; there seems to be no way to delete series, rather than individual episodes; and there also seems to be no way to delete scheduled series recordings either.

My wifi is fine, I have no problem with that, but this is also a television service and despite the box being on trial for quite some time now, some basic issues have not been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree with this too. Last night another series link dropped. That's two in the space of seven days.
    The remote control functionality has not been addressed; there seems to be no way to delete series, rather than individual episodes; and there also seems to be no way to delete scheduled series recordings either.

My wifi is fine, I have no problem with that, but this is also a television service and despite the box being on trial for quite some time now, some basic issues have not been resolved.

Indeed.
    Same issues, stopped recording a series number of series linked programmes over the weekend, hung a few times in the past number of days.
    I will give UPC one chance to sort it out and give them a call over the next few days but I am not sure what they can do (support) if the box doesnt have an issue at the time of the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

daherlihy wrote: »
    ... might this have something to do with auto-channel?

Could explain this to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Series link failed last night too

Box froze all day Monday.....

Sound is starting to drop again..

urge to hurl box out window....rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prolix

I'm having trouble with the wifi and my iMac. Connects fine and gets a valid IP, but no connection to the internet. Wired connection has no issue, and have even tried turning off horizon wifi and using my own AP and this works perfectly.

Definitely something up with the wifi. Poor signal on my iPhone as well. If the signal strength on my phone drops to 1 bar then I get no internet access. Again, my AP works perfectly and it's physically right beside the horizon box.

UPC say they've checked the box and everything looks normal. Nothing special set up on the iMac to cause the issue.

• Advertisement

Is there anyway to switch between different days on the TV guide? like we used to be able to do by pressing the blue button I think it was! Can't seem to find a way and wanted to record something thats on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Is there anyway to switch between different days on the TV guide? like we used to be able to do by pressing the blue button I think it was! Can't seem to find a way and wanted to record something thats on Saturday

This one was bugging me for a while. There is no quick way, like there used to be, but if you go into the EPG and hold the right arrow button down then it will scroll through the hours on that channel and move into the next day, day after that, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone know how to get into the Modem settings.

On the old modem i just typed in 192.168.1.1 into the address bar but this nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

192.168.192.1 for Horizon

Synode wrote: »
    192.168.192.1 for Horizon

Cheers mate, any idea on a default user and password? cant seem to sign in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

admin admin

admin admin

Ahh great , thank you good sir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Could explain this to me?
    You need to log in to the box go to wifi and set channel to 11 or whatever then save and exit. Stops the box from changing the wifi channel at random.

This one was bugging me for a while. There is no quick way, like there used to be, but if you go into the EPG and hold the right arrow button down then it will scroll through the hours on that channel and move into the next day, day after that, etc.

Ye been doing it that way! :) I hope they fix that in the update!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes remove it

Card slot For UPC smart cards.
    (Disabled) this is from your upc guide page 6

This information is on your installation guide read me first
    that came with your horizon box
    No smart card required, so do not use your old card in this box

Read your user guide and also your installation guide that came with your horizon box
    Rule in general with any new equipment is always read any user manual you get with any product or any other info given

Having the card in will not cause any issue, a lot of the installation techs are installing them. Perhaps as part of the trial there looking at different options. If its in it leave it, if its not the don't stick it in.

No need to cause confusion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement