Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Those prices aren't great. I'm a test customer, and I was due to get back to them to organise it, but I think I may hold off. Sure, I really want the box, but my current plan is far better. I get better internet, more calls, TV, multiroom, and HD for much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How? What plan are you on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

If anyone is getting blocked programs, try going in to parental settings and raising the age...default code 0000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Missed two scheduled recordings last night of person of interest on rte2. Not the best show in the world but better than alot of the dross on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

bought a new house, want to get a package off UPC, should I hang on until the horizon box is available? A friend of mine told me they're being launched on July 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

podge018 wrote: »
    bought a new house, want to get a package off UPC, should I hang on until the horizon box is available? A friend of mine told me they're being launched on July 1st?
    Jesus I hope not, the box is in no way ready for a widespread launch

Mine is working perfectly. No issues at all since I got the WiFi range and speed sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

A whole bunch of series repeats recording setups I had have disappeared! Had to reset them last night after noticing I lost the last two weeks. Weird when some are still working, lost about 5 diff series recordings....

Still find the guide very slow to scroll through and jumping between "my recordings" and other core menu options.

It also lost a couple of blocked channel settings much to my kids amusement...

Still running internet through my own router and it has been working fine, bar one time when it slowed down to a drizzle and had to reboot sep cisco router to get back to normal.

Seriously questioning whether I continue with the setup for all its positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Synode wrote: »
    Mine is working perfectly. No issues at all since I got the WiFi range and speed sorted.

Mind sharing how you got the wifi range sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I've a strange problem with the internet via the Horizon box.

Wife's tablet connects OK via wi-fi
    Wife's phone (iphone 4) OK
    Daughter's tablet OK
    My phone (iphone 5) OK
    Old Dell PC (Vista) OK
    My laptop (W7) won't connect anymore.

It was fine until a couple of days ago, now it will connect to the wi-fi network, but there's no internet connection. Can't ping anything.

Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of that has changed is that I tried to get the Wii to connect the other night, but it wouldn't so I left it.

• Advertisement

apope8 wrote: »
    Mind sharing how you got the wifi range sorted?

Rang UPC everyday. Had them come out and replace the box. Then when no improvement I just kept ringing them back and eventually got someone who adjusted some settings (not the channel) and it's been great since.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Rang UPC everyday. Had them come out and replace the box. Then when no improvement I just kept ringing them back and eventually got someone who adjusted some settings (not the channel) and it's been great since.

Any chance of some screen shots of your settings so maybe the rest of us can try them, my wifi range is absolutely muck, cant get it in the next room had to set a router up off lan to get it upstairs, I have changed every setting I can think of with no success!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

No problem. I'll do it this evening when home.

I assume you've ussed InSSider to make sure you're not overlapping channels with your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

I used this InSSider and was playing around with the channels etc on the UPC box. I was getting a score of around 30-40.

Nice program but ended up giving the UPC team a call. The guy I was talking to wasn't really able to assist but did mention that channels 1, 6 and 11 I think it was (1 and 6 positive but not 100% sure about the last one) were the only ones that should be used.

So went to the box thinking nothing would happen after pressing back > back > then applying the settings. Checked that InSSIDER thing and low and behold was getting scores of 100.

To be honest my signal has improved, or at least gives the impression it does but when I go to stream stuff it just drops down to 1 bar. after about 30 seconds it goes back to 3 bars (on iphone) in my bedroom. I was getting 45mbs download relatively close to the box and 0.99mbs if even up stairs. I'm on 100mbs connection.

going to call up again and get this sorted again as i'm not going to go forking out 70€ + for another router that I was thinking about getting to just extend the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,372 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Recording facility is still very buggy, I recorded a program the other night, it appeared in my recordings with no red flags but when I tried to play it, a progress bar appeared on a blank screen and then it said I had no channels (!) and quoted error 2010. That's after the June 13/14 update.

Is there any way to delete an entire series that you have finished watching instead of having to delete each episode separately? The delete function is dog slow and it's a pain in the hole.

No problem. I'll do it this evening when home.

I assume you've ussed InSSider to make sure you're not overlapping channels with your neighbours?

Yep used insider, tried every channel available, some wont even be seen by laptops or tablets, still no success, wifi range confined to the room the box is in.:mad:

Think my settings are the standard settings:-

I have it on channel 3

259884.JPG

Yep there the standard settings, have them but thanks for putting up

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Usaint

Hi Dalkiadave,

In the settings go to wireless then radio, check the channel bandwidth. It is most likely set to 20/40 if so, change this to 20mhz only and click save

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭antoisspence

Do any of you know if it's possible to have my old router reactivated while still keeping the horizon box? It's not so bad with the laptop but the desktop that I use for most of my work/gaming/downloading etc doesn't have an in-built wireless card and with a wireless dongle plugged in I'm getting around 5mb/s on a supposed 100mb/s connection.

To say it's aggravating would be putting it mildly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

We were in the same boat and resurrected our wireless router after getting somewhat disappointed with the Horizon's performance: signal not travelling as far, dropping more often, a few devices really struggling to connect etc.

It wasn't overly difficult to set it up again, though the Join/Create Network option on the Horizon box seemed to reset itself (not remember a previous setting) so there was a bit of trial and error involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭antoisspence

Mikey23 wrote: »
    We were in the same boat and resurrected our wireless router after getting somewhat disappointed with the Horizon's performance: signal not travelling as far, dropping more often, a few devices really struggling to connect etc.

It wasn't overly difficult to set it up again, though the Join/Create Network option on the Horizon box seemed to reset itself (not remember a previous setting) so there was a bit of trial and error involved.

And did doing that affect your cost at all? I can't help but think that they'd charge me extra for having both an activated router and a horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

And did doing that affect your cost at all? I can't help but think that they'd charge me extra for having both an activated router and a horizon box.

I think I misread your question. The Horizon box is still our primary internet router, but only that. We added our own wireless router to the mix, which handles our WiFi.

If you previously had UPC's all-in-one device, I think someone way back in this thread said that it couldn't be reactivated without calling UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just to clarify :

I still have my old UPC router, if I reconnect it to a different UPC point to my Horizon Box is it still active or do you have to contact UPC to reactivate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

celticbest wrote: »
    Just to clarify :

I still have my old UPC router, if I reconnect it to a different UPC point to my Horizon Box is it still active or do you have to contact UPC to reactivate it?

To do that, you need to contact UPC and ask them to 'reconsolidate' your old router - it has been disabled/deconsolidated. UPC will then disable the wireless on the Horizon box.

It may be possible to leave your Horizon wireless active, plug the old router into an ethernet out port on Horizon and use it as a wireless repeater, but I dont have a foggiest how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

To do that, you need to contact UPC and ask them to 'reconsolidate' your old router - it has been disabled/deconsolidated. UPC will then disable the wireless on the Horizon box.

It may be possible to leave your Horizon wireless active, plug the old router into an ethernet out port on Horizon and use it as a wireless repeater, but I dont have a foggiest how to do that.

I just plugged my linksys router into the horizon box and it works no problem, the wifi on the horizon box is still on too so I can connect to both. The linksys coverage and speed is miles ahead of the horizon box. The only issue I have (not really tried to solve it yet) is that if I want to use twonky I have to connect to the Horizon Wifi, it will not work through the linksys router.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Gave them a ring last night and explained I was having problems with the wifi range. They connected into the box changed something (I don't know what!) and bobs your uncle my range has improved. Worth giving them a call for anyone else with similar problems

Usaint wrote: »
    Hi Dalkiadave,

In the settings go to wireless then radio, check the channel bandwidth. It is most likely set to 20/40 if so, change this to 20mhz only and click save

Cheers already tried that still cant get wifi in next room, have already had the box replaced because of another issue, so really at a loss as to what the current issue with range is. Old router got wifi up in the attic??? Box is in exactly the same place as old router and without a router connected via lan this box would have gone back ages ago!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FullofForum

Anyone having problems with VPN (PPTP)?

Since changing over to the Horizon box it appears I can only make one VPN connection at anytime using only one device at a time. I can only establish a VPN connection on another device once I reboot the horizon box.

After rebooting the horizon box, I can establish a VPN tunnel using PPTP on any one device (PC, iPad, iPhone) but not at the sametime. Whichever device I connect with first is then the only device I can VPN from until I reboot the Horizon box again.

It appears to hold\reserve the use of PPTP port 1723 for the first device that requests it. Really hoping this is an easy fix but somehow I doubt it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: PPTP Pass through is already enabled on the router

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Maybe someone can answer this but am I able to record days in advance on the new horizon box like I could on my HD+ Box?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement