Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

My own Grandad never left the country. Was in Dublin once in the 60s for a protest. Met my Granny and returned home immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Speaking as a northern monkey, some people have never even left Norn Iron before.

Sure, why would anyone want to leave God's Little Acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Speaking as a northern monkey, some people have never even left Norn Iron before.

Sure, why would anyone want to leave God's Little Acre?

Maybe for something 'exotic' ?

Just keep a close eye on the big hands and the adams apple, or just 'flip them over' and earn your brown wings as another poster may have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My own Grandad never left the country. Was in Dublin once in the 60s for a protest. Met my Granny and returned home immediately.

Why? Did she catch him on the mitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I've never left Cork because Cork is the greatest place on the planet. Shure why would ya leave Cork, like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Do you make her cover it with her cupped hand, or does it just not bother you?

Her ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

She is only 19 though, so it's only relatively recently that she became old enough to travel abroad with friends or whatever. I was 18 before I went abroad. Where and when I was growing up nobody went on family holidays abroad unless they had a relative in England or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the travelling I've done has always been unimpressive. As far as I'm concerned, anything worth seeing will make it's way to wherever I am.

This is particularly true with today's modern technology. You could move from Ireland to South America, turn on a laptop, connect to Netflix and watch the same TV shows (mostly American) that you'd see in Ireland. The only difference is you'd get to choose between English, Portuguese and Spanish dubbing. Most sports are played on a global field now too. And every other restaurant in Dublin seems to have foreign food. And, if a live show or performer is any good, they'll be doing world-wide tours anyway. Look at the line-up at the O2 - it seems most of them come from outside Ireland.

Very few goods are made locally anymore....and rarely can they compete with the alternatives anyway. If you go to another country - you'll see the same company names on the TVs and cars. They're all built in the same factory that pays slave wages to impoverished locals.

And without sounding culturally insensitive, Ireland enjoys a relatively high standard of living, particularly if you have an above average income. If I do travel to some exotic place, I hardly want to experience life as a local (and neither do most tourists). So when they do travel, they travel to touristy destinations and stay with all the other wealthy tourists and, essentially, are just visiting fancy hotels. But we have fancy hotels in Ireland.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather just stay where I am. There is plenty to do and see in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

hate those shows which encourage you to go away in ireland. "You can go to the fabulous Tiger hotel in Kilarney for only €99 PP per night bed and breakfast"

.[/QUOTE]

You are probably right about the hotels but I never stay in them. I've had some fantastic cheap weekends in Ireland staying in really nice hostels with my friends. Depends what you are in to but if you like the outdoors and have a car Ireland is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

3 of my grandparents, 1 was born in Philadelphia. People seem to be becoming less travelled nowadays, about 8 of my great-great aunts/uncles emmigrated to usa or australia, people over 100 years ago have seen more of the world than me and they were poorer.

The furthest I've been is Paris and I go to university in England(which technically is in the same country as NI were i live)
    Id rather nowaday to be honest. The travelling they did back then was completely different to what it is now. It was simply a necessity back then, going far away from family at a very young age to work in tough jobs sending money home often to never return home again.
    Those people didnt have the opportunities you or me have, rarely had the education and never had the technology and cheap travel that now makes the world a smaller place.
    The world theyve seen was harsh tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Traveling is somewhat overrated to be honest.

There is a generation running around at the moment that seem to think they are the only ones who ever left the old sod to discover wonderful things. People have been traveling for years, did all mine many years ago but did not feel the need to tell everyone I met how it changed my life.I traveled initially out of need ( for work ) and then for fun and a bit of sun.

Todays set of travellers bore the tits of me with their MAD stories of how many random things happened to them in Thailand , Singapore and OZ, jesus Im sick of hearing about it.

I have digressed a little I know. Traveling does not make the man, different country, same **** in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with standing still in your own backyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

hate those shows which encourage you to go away in ireland. "You can go to the fabulous Tiger hotel in Kilarney for only €99 PP per night bed and breakfast"

Fecking stay-cations. :mad:

tempura wrote: »
    Traveling is somewhat overrated to be honest.

There is a generation running around at the moment that seem to think they are the only ones who ever left the old sod to discover wonderful things. People have been traveling for years, did all mine many years ago but did not feel the need to tell everyone I met how it changed my life.I traveled initially out of need ( for work ) and then for fun and a bit of sun.

Todays set of travellers bore the tits of me with their MAD stories of how many random things happened to them in Thailand , Singapore and OZ, jesus Im sick of hearing about it.

I have digressed a little I know. Traveling does not make the man, different country, same **** in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with standing still in your own backyard.

They are a bit tedious alright, along with the people who say you haven't experienced life until you've lived and worked in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

I've never left Cork because Cork is the greatest place on the planet. Shure why would ya leave Cork, like?

The weather perhaps !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

haha, i have to laugh at the people saying its expensive and they dont have money and its difficult...get off your ass and explore the world before you die! there are people who've travelled the entire globe without a penny!! watch the movie "into the wild" the guy travels all of north america with nothing! bunch insular sods the irish, sick of it, and this isnt "snobbish", unless you have a family to take care of (the exception), its such an ignorant argument. 19 is a perfect age to travel, no responsibility and and an able body to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

UCDVet wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the travelling I've done has always been unimpressive. As far as I'm concerned, anything worth seeing will make it's way to wherever I am.

This is particularly true with today's modern technology. You could move from Ireland to South America, turn on a laptop, connect to Netflix and watch the same TV shows (mostly American) that you'd see in Ireland. The only difference is you'd get to choose between English, Portuguese and Spanish dubbing. Most sports are played on a global field now too. And every other restaurant in Dublin seems to have foreign food. And, if a live show or performer is any good, they'll be doing world-wide tours anyway. Look at the line-up at the O2 - it seems most of them come from outside Ireland.

Very few goods are made locally anymore....and rarely can they compete with the alternatives anyway. If you go to another country - you'll see the same company names on the TVs and cars. They're all built in the same factory that pays slave wages to impoverished locals.

And without sounding culturally insensitive, Ireland enjoys a relatively high standard of living, particularly if you have an above average income. If I do travel to some exotic place, I hardly want to experience life as a local (and neither do most tourists). So when they do travel, they travel to touristy destinations and stay with all the other wealthy tourists and, essentially, are just visiting fancy hotels. But we have fancy hotels in Ireland.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather just stay where I am. There is plenty to do and see in Ireland.

Not once did you mention "people". My primary reason to travel is to meet people from different cultures and interact with them. From the way you described your reasons for disliking travel it is clear that you live a non-complex life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not once did you mention "people". My primary reason to travel is to meet people from different cultures and interact with them. From the way you described your reasons for disliking travel it is clear that you live a non-complex life.

People like yourself often don't realise we have lots of people all around us, some with very interesting experiences, outlooks on life, attitudes and other nuances that make us all different. Indeed there are now plenty people here in Ireland who originate from outside of this state, people from many different cultures and backgrounds. It's all part of the "world getting smaller thing".
    You dont need to travel all around the world to meet "people" from different cultures. I meet plenty on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

you can see the world in google maps street view

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

ONeill2013 wrote: »

Yeah but everyone only ever uses it once, and that is to find their own house :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

Yeah but everyone only ever uses it once, and that is to find their own house :pac:

i've been all around my area zooming into peoples windows. I also drove around ireland on it when i had a bit of free time.

shane9689 wrote: »
    haha, i have to laugh at the people saying its expensive and they dont have money and its difficult...get off your ass and explore the world before you die! there are people who've travelled the entire globe without a penny!! watch the movie "into the wild" the guy travels all of north america with nothing! bunch insular sods the irish, sick of it, and this isnt "snobbish", unless you have a family to take care of (the exception), its such an ignorant argument. 19 is a perfect age to travel, no responsibility and and an able body to work.

Ah, the rakish, carefree, jaw-jutting attitude of youth!

And not a little pompous either, young Sir!

Incidentally, Into The Wild is a pile of pretentious cack about a glorified hobo - I see nothing aspirational about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Incidentally, Into The Wild is a pile of pretentious cack about a glorified hobo - I see nothing aspirational about it.

I agree to a point in that the film is sentimental but it also highlights the apparent tragedy in searching for something meaningful in a world dominated by celebrity culture and consumerism. Ironically Chris Candlemess became a celebrity in death and it was that kind of thing he was escaping in the film.

I don't think it's that much of a loss to not get out around Europe or whatever a few times because it's just fun and relaxing. I've lost pretty much all my ambition to travel with a backpack and I used to have a plan for most countries. Someone in the first couple of pages said ya have to stay in a place for a few years to get a feel for it and they're completely right.

I'll go on holidays to other countries but before when I was saying "I traveled around South East Asia", now I'd just consider all the countries apart from Vietnam an extended holiday. I really know fek all about the other countries and didn't take anything from them.

All that's left for me now is a desire to be an expat in a few countries and my love for motorbikes which will hopefully lead me to travel around South America on one because it looks fairly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ONeill2013 wrote: »

When I was laid up a few weeks ago after back surgery I took a few virtual walking tours of a major cities.

Girlfriend: What did you do today?

Me: Strolled around Paris, then popped over to Vegas and then headed down the autobahn. Lovely day trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

I think some people, particulalry some older people, would find it quite stressful to go abroad if they never had been before, and were possibly not too good with computers, internet, foreign exchange, figuring out a new public transport system, wondering if they will cope with the language. I wonder if some of the "lack of interest" is really lack of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

kippy wrote: »
    People like yourself often don't realise we have lots of people all around us, some with very interesting experiences, outlooks on life, attitudes and other nuances that make us all different. Indeed there are now plenty people here in Ireland who originate from outside of this state, people from many different cultures and backgrounds. It's all part of the "world getting smaller thing".
    You dont need to travel all around the world to meet "people" from different cultures. I meet plenty on a daily basis.

I'm surprised you noticed that there are very interesting people around us, and that is why Ireland is my home. But there are also interesting and exciting people who never come to Ireland so the only way to interact with them is to go to other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Galaxie

I'm surprised you noticed that there are very interesting people around us, and that is why Ireland is my home. But there are also interesting and exciting people who never come to Ireland so the only way to interact with them is to go to other countries.

Hi. Welcome to the internet, where you can talk to people all over the world!

I love travelling, wouldn't judge anyone for not having done it. Some people just don't get the opportunity to/don't want to.

I think some people, particulalry some older people, would find it quite stressful to go abroad if they never had been before, and were possibly not too good with computers, internet, foreign exchange, figuring out a new public transport system, wondering if they will cope with the language. I wonder if some of the "lack of interest" is really lack of confidence.

I'd say this is more common that we think.

Young eejits boasting about ticking off countries like a shopping list would do well to remember before pontificating that travelling abroad for many, many older folk is, understandably, quite a daunting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Don't forget St Brendan. He beat the vikings and Columbus to America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Why don't you define what you mean by non-complex, and how you could possibly know enough about my life to determine if I live a complex life or not?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

to counter the "ireland is already globalised, i can meet anyone" argument... i have to say, yes you do get people from around the world here, but you dont fully experience their culture, you only get glimpses of it because they change their ways when they come here so they can live in our culture. just as you would say, stop playing gaa if you went to china etc.... the Chinese wont get to see you play gaa just as you dont get to see the people that come here do other things that they would do at home. also, on top of that, how many of the foreingers that come here, do you actually try learn about? beyond their life in ireland? no one really does that, it would be odd anyways to do that. you really need to travel to these places to fully understand other ways of life.......anyways, i dont think either side is going to change their argument on this one...a poll would be interesting though

Advertisement