Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options
  • 13-03-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

My OH's course went on a trip to Dublin the other day from Sligo. One of the girls, who's 19, was amazed by stuff like the spire and junkies.

Then she later mentioned that she never had a passport and was never abroad, not even England!

I also know an auld one from the village where my mum comes from, who never left Sligo until a few years ago, when she had to go to Dublin for medical reasons.

The first time I can remember going abroad was at the age of 8, but that was to go to England, and things didn't seem all that different. I wonder what it would be like now, at the age of 20, to go abroad for the first time and just be captivated by minor cultural differences.

Do you know anyone who has never been abroad? (specifically Ireland). And does it affect their worldview?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My Sisters husband(55)from Donegal was never outside the island of Ireland until this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    My OH's course went on a trip to Dublin the other day from Sligo. One of the girls, who's 19, was amazed by stuff like the spire and junkies.

Then she later mentioned that she never had a passport and was never abroad, not even England!

I also know an auld one from the village where my mum comes from, who never left Sligo until a few years ago, when she had to go to Dublin for medical reasons.

The first time I can remember going abroad was at the age of 8, but that was to go to England, and things didn't seem all that different. I wonder what it would be like now, at the age of 20, to go abroad for the first time and just be captivated by minor cultural differences.

Do you know anyone who has never been abroad? (specifically Ireland). And does it affect their worldview?

Not everyone has the luxury of foreign holidays and at 19 while it may be unusual, I wouldn't consider it odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I went to portlaoise for the first time last weekend.

It was grim

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Not everyone has the luxury of foreign holidays and at 19 while it may be unusual, I wouldn't consider it odd

Believe me, I phrased it in the best way possible. And I knew someone would call me out on my apparent snobbery! Just didn't expect it to be the 3rd post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I didnt leave Ireland till I was 20. Up until I was 16 I was only in Dublin a handful of times and Cork Rarely.
    We didnt do holidays at all when I was growing up, foreign or staycations.
    Nothing too unusual about that, parents just had enough to bring us all up, carting kids around wasn't economical or much fun I'd think.

Not entirely into travel now either to be honest, although I've been a lot of places.

Chearp air travel is a relatively recent thing.

As far as knowing people who never left Ireland, I'd say I know plenty. Those of the older generation that didnt have to leave here for work but had to look after farms, families etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My maternal grandfather lived all his 74 years without ever leaving this island. Back then it was quite a common occurrence for rural types who were left the family farm. Nobody had the time, money or inclination for travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Shure why would ya leave Cork Ireland?

Out foreign is dangerous, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

This is not odd or unusual, lots of people have never left Ireland or their own county. Some people are happy with this little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

My mother is in her late 40's and has only left Ireland once, and that was just as far as Wales a few years ago with the family. She says she always wanted to go on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I met a cabbie from Mayo that had been to Dublin once in the 70s and that was about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Yeah, people who can't get €40 together to fly into mainland Europe have significantly larger issues with their lives than not being able to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

hondasam wrote: »
    Some people are happy with this little country.

Ignorance is bliss...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

I know a few people from Dublin who've never been abroad and they genuinely think that Dublin is one of the world's major cities. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah, people who can't get €40 together to fly into mainland Europe have significantly larger issues with their lives than not being able to travel.

It hasnt always been as relatively cheap to travel, and there are sometimes, as you say, more than money stopping people travel.
    Some people don't have that need to see places outside of Ireland and some would probably find it more relaxing to take a few days off work and relax, rather than get involved in the whole hassle that travel can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

A recent survey I read which I cant be bothered searching, and which might be Sherlocked anyway, said that 50% of Americans never live more than 50 miles from where they were born. so there.

Of course that has nothing to do with this thread as they may travel all over the shop but I thought I would put it in there.

I've never been abroad. Nowadays it's due to me living the quiet life and having nobody to go with. Historically it was because my parents never had enough money to take us on a family holiday.

I'd like to visit Canada or the US though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Where have you been OP? How has it impacted your world view?

I was not abroad until I was 21, my first trip away was to the USA. I have travelled quite a bit since then, worked abroad for extended periods I dont think my world view has changed significantly.

Your post does seem quite condescending. The fact that you were expecting responses like this appears to indicate that you intended it to be so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Karsini wrote: »
    I've never been abroad. Nowadays it's due to me living the quiet life and having nobody to go with. Historically it was because my parents never had enough money to take us on a family holiday.

I'd like to visit Canada or the US though.

Do you think you have missed out on anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Travel is for snobs and students. I can see anything I want on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've been abroad a few times and as of yet (aside from the weather) I've not encountered anything that made me feel like I was missing out in Ireland.
    Of course, had I not gone, I'm sure grass on the other side always being greener would have gotten to me. And there are still plenty of places I intend to travel to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

A brother of mine, now aged 55, went to Lancashire once when he was a helper on a truck. Otherwise, he has never been outside Ireland. Now, he's getting a passport at last and I think I'll treat him (and myself) to a weekend in Amsterdam in about 3 weeks' time.:):);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

starch4ser wrote: »
    I know a few people from Dublin who've never been abroad and they genuinely think that Dublin is one of the world's major cities. :D

It is isn't it :p:p:D:D:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I went to portlaoise for the first time last weekend.

It was grim

I agree. The place has gone to the dogs altogether with all the Dubs who have moved in.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My uncle is in his 70s and he's never been to Dublin and he's only been abroad once on a pilgrimage to Lourdes in France.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Where have you been OP? How has it impacted your world view?

I was not abroad until I was 21, my first trip away was to the USA. I have travelled quite a bit since then, worked abroad for extended periods I dont think my world view has changed significantly.

Your post does seem quite condescending. The fact that you were expecting responses like this appears to indicate that you intended it to be so.

How would I know how it would affect my world view? I can't un-visit these countries. I've been to America once and various places in Europe. The question was "And does it affect their worldview?", from an outside perspective.

I was expecting responses that call me out for being a snob because I may come across as one. I never owned an Xbox, would I wouldn't consider someone being condescending for owning one, and questioning my lack of ownership of one.

And I'm not being condescending, I just want to break the chain of recession threads on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

and which might be Sherlocked anyway

:confused::confused:

I clearly haven't traveled where you are from as I've never heard of this apparently capitalised verb Sherlocked! Pray tell - what does this mean ?

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Now, he's getting a passport at last and I think I'll treat him (and myself) to a weekend in Amsterdam in about 3 weeks' time.:):);)

How would I know how it would affect my world view? I can't un-visit these countries. I've been to America once and various places in Europe. The question was "And does it affect their worldview?", from an outside perspective.

I was expecting responses that call me out for being a snob because I may come across as one. I never owned an Xbox, would I wouldn't consider someone being condescending for owning one, and questioning my lack of ownership of one.

And I'm not being condescending, I just want to break the chain of recession threads on AH.

I was asking you where have you been and how it affected your world view?

Your post seems to suggest that your world view is somehow more enlightened than the lady you posted about. I just wanted clarity on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My Granny. She's 90 though, and couldn't care less. And is also more well informed than most people.

Also a friend of my parents, she doesn't like flying (she's never been on a plane), or ferries (never been on one of them either), so they go to Kerry every year.

• Advertisement

My Granny. She's 90 though, and couldn't care less. And is also more well informed than most people.

Also a friend of my parents, she doesn't like flying (she's never been on a plane), or ferries (never been on one of them either), so they go to Kerry every year.

Agreed I dont enlightenment is to be found on a shopping trip to New York.

Advertisement