Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saladin

I find it incredible that so many Irish people have never left Ireland or hopped on a plane especially younger people. I mean we laugh at Americans for not having passports but our island is hardly a continent.

My grandparents drove over to Turkey to pick up my uncle when he was working on a summer college trip just for a drive, the uncle preferred Turkey as an adventure instead of the usual J1 visas to USA. That was the 70s.

Don't get around myself too much these days but definitely at least twice a year to europe. Trip around the world made me skint 2 years ago. Best trip abroad and one of the best times in my life was 14 school exchange trip to France. I was born abroad been abroad almost every year of my life. Its not exactly hard. THe USA and Uk are a must because of their history and culture and influence in the world and specifically us. Its just ignorant not to go their since we watch their football, movies listen to their music read their books and ultimately we bitch about them.

We only live once oh but I forget about the eternity that awaits us with Jesus lots to do then cos like heaven so exists ( Sarcasm meter off the charts :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

saladin wrote: »
    I find it incredible that so many Irish people have never left Ireland or hopped on a plane especially younger people. I mean we laugh at Americans for not having passports but our island is hardly a continent.

My grandparents drove over to Turkey to pick up my uncle when he was working on a summer college trip just for a drive, the uncle preferred Turkey as an adventure instead of the usual J1 visas to USA. That was the 70s.

Don't get around myself too much these days but definitely at least twice a year to europe. Trip around the world made me skint 2 years ago. Best trip abroad and one of the best times in my life was 14 school exchange trip to France. I was born abroad been abroad almost every year of my life. Its not exactly hard. THe USA and Uk are a must because of their history and culture and influence in the world and specifically us. Its just ignorant not to go their since we watch their football, movies listen to their music read their books and ultimately we bitch about them.

We only live once oh but I forget about the eternity that awaits us with Jesus lots to do then cos like heaven so exists ( Sarcasm meter off the charts :D)
    Some people see travel as a lot of (usually) unessential hassle, while we may only live once, some people, prefer to live a hassle free life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'm just saying you CAN do a nice weekend trip on the cheap :P Save up for a few weeks and you could do quite a lot more. A little money goes a long way!

ah, no it doesn't actually. A "cheap" flight will usually only take you and one change of clothes on holiday. If you want an extra bag you need to pay a lot more, staying anywere decent will cost you, even if it is standard. Eating will cost you, going out will cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    My OH's course went on a trip to Dublin the other day from Sligo. One of the girls, who's 19, was amazed by stuff like the spire and junkies.
    getting back on topic,
    I'd see not being abroad by the age of 19 as perfectly normal.
    When you are young your folks mightnt bother with a foreign holiday cos its too much hassle.
    And when you are a teenager that really doesnt change either. Heaps of hassle for the folks and feck all benefit for all their cash outlay.
    Thats the way it was with me anyhow.

I'd see the opposite as being wierd, seeing lots of abroad and NONE of your home country.
    Was at a 21st in Galway back whe I was celebrating such things and was STUNNED to find out that a certain Dublin chap was never ever in Galway before. Nor west of the shannon.
    Pretty much the farthest in Ireland he ever ventured from leafy D4 was the airport.
    But was in disneyland in florida and california over a dozen times and other places out yonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

kippy wrote: »
    It hasnt always been as relatively cheap to travel, and there are sometimes, as you say, more than money stopping people travel.
    Some people don't have that need to see places outside of Ireland and some would probably find it more relaxing to take a few days off work and relax, rather than get involved in the whole hassle that travel can be.

In other words people are narrow minded enough not to want to experience the world. It is the best thing we have to see, you get one life so make what you want of it...

And if you see travel as hassle well that says alot about you... wonder how you get through life, everyday must be excrutiating for you :)

• Advertisement

In other words people are narrow minded enough not to want to experience the world. It is the best thing we have to see, you get one life so make what you want of it...

And if you see travel as hassle well that says alot about you... wonder how you get through life, everyday must be excrutiating for you :)

Why would you call that "narrow minded"? People who havent travelled are narrow minded?

Some people don't like traveling abroad, they dont like the thoughts of the airport, security, delays, flying, a different culture/language. It doesn't appeal to them.

You said it yourself, you have one life, make what you want of it. You dont have to travel to make the most of life. Again extrapolating the logic, you need to experience everything that is possible in life to have a great life? Is that your thought on it?

We have a country here, that has scenery that is as good or on par with anything around the world, we have culture, we have some fine people and characters and we have plenty to do. It doesn't have the weather, yeah I get that. We have people living here now from all over the world. We have a longer and a more varied human history than the most popular countries that the Irish tend to travel to (US, Australia, NZ, Canada)

The Irish people, include those openminded world travellers tend to knock what we have and not realise how good it is. The grass is always greener elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

getting back on topic,
    I'd see not being abroad by the age of 19 as perfectly normal.
    When you are young your folks mightnt bother with a foreign holiday cos its too much hassle.
    And when you are a teenager that really doesnt change either. Heaps of hassle for the folks and feck all benefit for all their cash outlay.
    Thats the way it was with me anyhow.

I'd see the opposite as being wierd, seeing lots of abroad and NONE of your home country.
    Was at a 21st in Galway back whe I was celebrating such things and was STUNNED to find out that a certain Dublin chap was never ever in Galway before. Nor west of the shannon.
    Pretty much the farthest in Ireland he ever ventured from leafy D4 was the airport.
    But was in disneyland in florida and california over a dozen times and other places out yonder.

the way i see it, it doesnt really matter where you go, be it the next town over or a 20 hour flight, life is about experiencing new people & places & broadening your horizons. The people i cant understand are the ones who are happy to waste their spare time sitting on their arse in the local pub day in day out watching the premiership or the horses.

Why would you call that "narrow minded"? People who havent travelled are narrow minded?

Some people don't like traveling abroad, they dont like the thoughts of the airport, security, delays, flying, a different culture/language. It doesn't appeal to them.

You said it yourself, you have one life, make what you want of it. You dont have to travel to make the most of life. Again extrapolating the logic, you need to experience everything that is possible in life to have a great life? Is that your thought on it?

We have a country here, that has scenery that is as good or on par with anything around the world, we have culture, we have some fine people and characters and we have plenty to do. It doesn't have the weather, yeah I get that. We have people living here now from all over the world. We have a longer and a more varied human history than the most popular countries that the Irish tend to travel to (US, Australia, NZ, Canada)

The Irish people, include those openminded world travellers tend to knock what we have and not realise how good it is. The grass is always greener elsewhere.

Yes of course its narrow minded, they just like their own little bubble and are not interested in the rest of the world !! Do we have coral reef, do we have mountains you can ski on, do we have deserts, rainforest god the list goes on and on, cant believe you said that .... i feel sorry for you and people like that...

Its such a pity that you cant open your mind and want to experience all of this. This is where ignorance arises, when you dont understand other places, cultures etc...

Just dont belive that people like this still exist :0

Yes of course its narrow minded, they just like their own little bubble and are not interested in the rest of the world !! Do we have coral reef, do we have mountains you can ski on, do we have deserts, rainforest god the list goes on and on, cant believe you said that .... i feel sorry for you and people like that...

Its such a pity that you cant open your mind and want to experience all of this. This is where ignorance arises, when you dont understand other places, cultures etc...

Get off your high horse. Seriously.
    I've been all over the world in the past few years. I've probably seen as much as you or anyone else has. Has it significantly altered my mind - has it fcuk.
    The experiences I have involving other people and the lessons I have learned along the way are what has altered my thinking and you don't need to travel far to experience that. You dont have to ski down a mountain, dive on a reef or see a rainforest in the flesh to change your way of thinking. Thats just "seeing" things.
    I've spoken to people from all over the world, people who live here, I have friends as diverse as any, I don't need to travel to get that.

Some of these people you speak of are as interested in the rest of the world as you, just not in travelling there. They are probably more interested in their local "bubble" as well as anyone who has traveled.

You don't need to feel sorry for me and "people like me", I am perfectly happy with my life, with my family and friends and access to as much information as about any remote location as I need. I am comfortable in the knowledge that I don't need to travel to feel "enlightened" but I can appreciate why people would want to travel lots.

As far as a 19 year old is concerned. I see no reason why it is strange or weird that one would not have left this country YET but would understand why other people who are older haven't left either.

What is more narrow minded than not appreciating the basic fact that everyone is different, with different motivators and intentions?

Get off your high horse. Seriously.
    I've been all over the world in the past few years. I've probably seen as much as you or anyone else has. Has it significantly altered my mind - has it fcuk.
    The experiences I have involving other people and the lessons I have learned along the way are what has altered my thinking and you don't need to travel far to experience that. You dont have to ski down a mountain, dive on a reef or see a rainforest in the flesh to change your way of thinking. Thats just "seeing" things.
    I've spoken to people from all over the world, people who live here, I have friends as diverse as any, I don't need to travel to get that.

Some of these people you speak of are as interested in the rest of the world as you, just not in travelling there. They are probably more interested in their local "bubble" as well as anyone who has traveled.

You don't need to feel sorry for me and "people like me", I am perfectly happy with my life, with my family and friends and access to as much information as about any remote location as I need. I am comfortable in the knowledge that I don't need to travel to feel "enlightened" but I can appreciate why people would want to travel lots.

As far as a 19 year old is concerned. I see no reason why it is strange or weird that one would not have left this country YET but would understand why other people who are older haven't left either.

What is more narrow minded than not appreciating the basic fact that everyone is different, with different motivators and intentions?

There ya go, so you have travelled, well done... Im happy for you now :)

The problem I see is that people who havent travelled dont know what their missing... its a pity, but as you say people are different.

• Advertisement

There ya go, so you have travelled, well done... Im happy for you now :)

The problem I see is that people who havent travelled dont know what their missing... its a pity, but as you say people are different.

You and a few others have made this point that people who haven't traveled don't know what they are missing. The logic doesn't add up.
    Apply it to almost any other scenario and its as daft as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Yeah, people who can't get €40 together to fly into mainland Europe have significantly larger issues with their lives than not being able to travel.

€40.00 plus fees = €120.00

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

veloc123 wrote: »
    €40.00 plus fees = €120.00

Actually a lot of flights to europe cost 0 - adding fees is what brings it to 40

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How does not going make them narrow minded though? Do you believe spending a week in a country on a beach or maybe strolling around a museum makes you somehow richer? You can barely touch the culture in that time. The majority just take a snapshot and move on, registering it as a nice anecdote as much. That it makes you a deeper person? Hardly.

would you call somebody visiting disney land narrowminded - i would
    would you call somebody going on "holiday" to sit at a pool or a beach for a week - I would
    would you call somebody sliding up and down on snow on a mountain in the alps with fellow travellers - I would

You can travel all over the world and still be as narrowminded as ever. You can never travel outside your own country and be very broadminded.

just because you hop on a plane and get off at another destination, it does't mean you are experience other cultures. You are not. You are taking a relaxing break by a pool, a slope, or a funfair.

Actually a lot of flights to europe cost 0 - adding fees is what brings it to 40

i did that once - by the time I was finished booking my "free flight" it was 80 euro, and that was BEFORE i had to travel to the airport.

next:D

honey, just because people haven't seen the "mona lisa" painting doesn't mean they don't know anything about Leonardo da Vinci. Just because somebody hasn't walked on the sahara desert it doesn't mean they know nothing about deserts, just because somebody didn't get a guided tour through a tourist part of a rainforest, does not mean they know nothing about it.

don't you know that READING is what broadens the mind? not walking through sand or looking at a picture on a wall - next time you take a week to sit by a pool, bring a good book on the world - you might learn something about what country you are actually visiting, rather than thinking of what cocktail bar you might visit that night to show off your tan. :D

and honey, remember, a week in tenerife or some such place, does not actually count as a "broadening of the mind holiday"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What's with the "foreign holidays" comments? There are more reasons to travel than just going on holiday, and it can be very hard to appreciate the benefit of a thousand tiny shifts in perspective by visiting other places, especially if you make an effort to understand what's going on in the real lives of the locals instead of being a brainless tourist.

Go away for any decent length of time and it does change you, mainly making you more aware of bigotry and sheer stupidity. Of course I'm biased: I had the chance to return to live in Ireland in 2003/4, took one look at the economy and thought ye'd all lost your minds, so I moved on.

As it happens, I've ended up in a place where the natives are as unadventurous as the Yanks. My children are considered super-cool jet-setters by their school mates because they've been on a 'plane and go to exotic destinations like Dublin (1000km, 90mins), London (800km, 120mins) and Paris (300km, 180mins).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

This thread is like listening to the Adrian Kennedy phoneshow; it's all over the place, so many different contexts for arguments I don't know where to look!

A 20 year old in 2012 not being abroad seems odd, and they are most certainly in a minority. A 65 year old in 2012 not being abroad doesn't seem that odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Neither of my parents have been outside of Ireland, simply never had the money/time. I don't think it bothers them that much, I certainly wouldn't consider them narrow minded or anything they are simply happy where they are.

The furthest I've been myself is Scotland, though I am going to Spain and Germany later in the year. Yay!

• Advertisement

honey, just because people haven't seen the "mona lisa" painting doesn't mean they don't know anything about Leonardo da Vinci. Just because somebody hasn't walked on the sahara desert it doesn't mean they know nothing about deserts, just because somebody didn't get a guided tour through a tourist part of a rainforest, does not mean they know nothing about it.

don't you know that READING is what broadens the mind? not walking through sand or looking at a picture on a wall - next time you take a week to sit by a pool, bring a good book on the world - you might learn something about what country you are actually visiting, rather than thinking of what cocktail bar you might visit that night to show off your tan. :D

and honey, remember, a week in tenerife or some such place, does not actually count as a "broadening of the mind holiday"

HONEY :) knowing and experiencing are 2 very different things aswell :) Try and describe the mona lisa in a book? HONEY :)

would you call somebody visiting disney land narrowminded - i would
    would you call somebody going on "holiday" to sit at a pool or a beach for a week - I would
    would you call somebody sliding up and down on snow on a mountain in the alps with fellow travellers - I would

You can travel all over the world and still be as narrowminded as ever. You can never travel outside your own country and be very broadminded.

just because you hop on a plane and get off at another destination, it does't mean you are experience other cultures. You are not. You are taking a relaxing break by a pool, a slope, or a funfair.

Well not really you are bound to learn something about culture, whether food, or a word or 2 in the language etc etc

i did that once - by the time I was finished booking my "free flight" it was 80 euro, and that was BEFORE i had to travel to the airport.

next:D

Aint too bad, how much is a return trip from dub - cork on the train nowadays - 37 each way? U pay 80 to go abroad, I think thats a decent deal :)

I feel alot of people I offended by my comments, but as you all say everybody has their opinion and that is mine :) simples :)

You and a few others have made this point that people who haven't traveled don't know what they are missing. The logic doesn't add up.
    Apply it to almost any other scenario and its as daft as anything.

And finally, goes back to the old saying "ignorance is bliss" :)

everyone has an opinion.

however to put someone down because they haven't done what you did and bought trinkets while they've been away in the sun for a week, is the essence of what you are trying not to be - narrowminded. :D

BTW - dont think you can learn everything from a book, of course reading is very good, but dont limit yourself to that, their so much more out there for ya - go experience :)

HONEY :) knowing and experiencing are 2 very different things aswell :) Try and describe the mona lisa in a book? HONEY :)

ever hear of a picture book?? sheesh, and you calling people that don't travel narrowminded? :p

BTW - dont think you can learn everything from a book, of course reading is very good, but dont limit yourself to that, their so much more out there for ya - go experience :)

ah don't be worrying about me experiencing stuff, I'd say going by your posts I could run rings around ya, either here or in any other country. :P

although I did get a few laughs out of your posts.

• Advertisement

ever hear of a picture book?? sheesh, and you calling people that don't travel narrowminded? :p

:) OK, you have your book and I prefer to see the real thing....

No point in trying to convince you...

Advertisement