Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I like when I see GAA jerseys on the tube and around town now. I'm always wondering what game is on or what pub they're going to. People giving out about them need to get over themselves. I was probably guilty of it in the past but you need to worry about more important things.
    I think you are missing the difference between going on holiday and trying to replicate Ireland when there versus somebody who lives in the UK doing something to remind them of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Texas where chilli is a local food vs Massachusetts lobster and chowder is local. would that be like getting potato farls in your fry in Donegal but not getting them in Cork - both places have frys but a slight variant doesn't make it a culture, or doesn't make the county a Country. What about meatloaf, what state is that exclusive to - and spaghetti and meatballs? I can guarantee you that you can get chili on the East Coast and lobster in texas - doesn't make them different countries or even equivalent to different countries. :D

Newbury Comics are in New England but not in Texas. New England has more than one State - does having a Newbury Comic in each of these States make New England one country then - Tower Records were also in more than one state as was Strawberries - sadly most of these are closing down in the US because of downloads, etc - not a culture thing - this is happening worldwide. How about other shops and restaurants - Wallmart, Kmart, Sears, cheesecake factory, etc[/I]

Can you name a country in Europe that doesn't watch the European Championship, celebrate Christmas, New Years etc... States have state holidays. Some states ice hockey is more popular than American Football its up to individuals to watch football, or whatever other championship they want - i am talking about a national game - not football matches - what is the irish national game - its not football, it's hurling, Spain is bullfighting. Do you know what america's national game or do each state have its own 'national' game making it the only country with 50 national games. As for celebrating Christmas - the American states (not countries) all celebrate christmas the same way, santa clause, tree, ham on christmas day, christmas eve, etc. However the different Countries (not states) of Europe all celebrate according to their different countries national traditions - for instance some european countries don't celebrate christmas until january, some celebrate it on our christmas eve with carp being the traditional dish - as I said each country has a tradition - america as a country has its own american tradition.

A state is a name for a country. Effectively each state in the US is a country. Climate differences are enough for the cultures to be different. Different communities in different states. Not many Mexican descendants in Alaska but more in Texas. this is hilarious - i think you may be getting yourself mixed up with canada and america - do you have to show ID when you pass through each country state of america. No climate difference are not enough for the cultures to be different in the usa - there are different communities in every state but you know that if you have lived there, don't you?

Given you even asked these questions is a pretty clear indication you have not travelled and lived in the US extensively. Maybe you did and just managed not to notice anything. I doubt there are many who would agree with you who actually have travelled and lived in the US. As I say, If you don't want to believe my posts then that's up to you, water off a ducks back for me.

Just because each state shares common elements doesn't mean they are the same. They weren't even part of the same country for a time so have different histories.
    you could say the same about the counties of Ireland - doesn't make the culture of the country different according to what county you are from :D:D By the way, whats the national anthem of texas - its not the yellow rose is it. LOL

To end......its all up the individual - you can think that America has a vast culture in each State - after having experienced it I would say that it doesn't - its American - all over it. If you want to see differences in cultures, you need to travel out of America.

(just an anecdote - I had an American friend visiting ireland recently and who was traveling onwards for a few days in Belgium - he was renting a car there and his words to me were "the road signs there are in english right?" WRONG!! I guess it's a cultural thing. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Fishy you are just talking nonsense.

You don't need to show ID going through Europe.
    State dishes exist, chilli being traditional to one state is not the same as a different brand. A national sport is that national and the USA is a nation. Depending on the state the popularity of some sports outweighs the national game.

If you believe New York is the same as Texas culturally next time you are there tell some locals and see how they react.

You seem to be completely confused by the fact they are one country that means they are the same culturally. It is bloody obvious that is not the case. Somebody who spends their time freezing while another part of the country is constantly hot is more than enough to effect the culture and how people live.

Done troll away some more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Fishy you are just talking nonsense.

You don't need to show ID going through Europe.
    are you saying that I can go down to the airport, tell them I want to go to spain on their next flight and not have to show a passport, national ID card. and you are saying I am talking nonsense. :D

State dishes exist, chilli being traditional to one state is not the same as a different brand. A national sport is that national and the USA is a nation. Depending on the state the popularity of some sports outweighs the national game. So they have a national game then - could that be "cultural" LOL

THe USA is a Nation you say?? A national sport is that of a nation you say? but you say this nation has 50 different countries and cultures, and you say I am talking nonsense.

If you believe New York is the same as Texas culturally next time you are there tell some locals and see how they react. They're all American! do they not celebrate their american thanksgiving as part of their history, their labor days, their independence day -

You seem to be completely confused by the fact they are one country that means they are the same culturally. It is bloody obvious that is not the case. Somebody who spends their time freezing while another part of the country is constantly hot is more than enough to effect the culture and how people live. they all live under the laws of the land plenty of times I've been freezing in the North East while the sunny south west are basking in sunshine. Snow on the top of Mount Washington in July while people are at the beach in Maine does not affect the culture. sorry to burst your bubbleeen

Done troll away some more
    love this - someone disagrees with you and they are branded a troll - your way or the highway eh? classy

you stay there exploring the vast cultures of each US State - I'll do the different European countries. And try not to call people who disagree with you a "troll".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

fishy you should try quoting individual sentences instead of underlining and replying to sentences within the other persons posts. It just makes it easier to read. Fascinating debate all the same. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Who gives a f*ck where anyone's been or if they've left Ireland. Do more of what makes you happy ffs.

Listen to this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Comparing various countries in Europe to States in America doesn't make sense. The word here is different "countries" of Europe - not different States. Each "country" has their own history, their own language and their own culture.

Can you elaborate why Austin is "massively different" to New York (cultural-wise). What way is the food different? What would be Austin's national dish? What way are the shops different? Can you elaborate.

Which States don't celebrate Thansgiving, Labour Day, etc. Can you tell which States don't watch sthe Superball or have baseball, hockey, American Football as their national sports? When you say the word hamburger, macaroni and cheese, or "american as apple pie" which State exactly do you refer to? How many national anthems do they have, or constitutions?"

I don't really mind if you "doubt" if I have lived and worked in the USA - that's up to you :D
    Obviously European countries have a greater variety of cultural differences than US states; mostly due to age. But your arguments are so useless: you don't have to go to Italy to get pasta and red wine, you don't have to go to Germany for bratwurst. You don't have to go to Austria to waltz, you don't have to go to Ireland for trad. But those things are culturally linked to those places.

By the same token, you can get crawfish and fried oysters almost anywhere, but they are linked to southern Louisiana, because that's where they're to be sourced. You're not gonna source 'em in Wyoming, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to get them in a restaurant. Jazz can be heard everywhere, but it originated in New Orleans; it permeates the culture there, moreso than any other area. It's part of funeral processions and second-line marches on holidays etc.

In Louisiana you can smoke in bars, and the locals like to drink; in southern California you basically can't smoke in any public spaces and there's a much more prevalent beach culture and weed culture. The Pacific Northwest puts a great emphasis on healthy living, organic farming, and good city infrastructure for cyclists etc., while the South tends to suffer more greatly from urban sprawl and much more people drive; additionally (and kind of as a result) there are drive-thru windows for so much stuff, generally fast food, and a healthy lifestyle is much less promoted and much less followed.

Immigrant and hereditary populations bring different cultures to different regions too; Asian in the west, Mexican in the southwest, Cuban in southern Florida, Irish in the northeast, etc.

Of course there are cultural aspects that hold nationwide, but you can say the same thing for Europe. To compare the US to Ireland is patently ludicrous: the area and population sizes should be indicative of that alone.
    (c.68 times as many people, and Texas alone is around 8 times the size of Ireland)

Advertisement