Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I nearly always seek out an Irish bar when in a foreign country. You can't beat local knowledge and a 20 minute chat with Irish bar staff normally is 20 minutes well spent.

I have never once been embarrassed of my nationality. If someone wants to judge me on other people's actions, that's their problem not me.

Chalk it down. I make it a point to briefly visit an Irish bar wherever I go, out of curiosity as to how they're set up as much as anything else. Also what you said about chatting to the barstaff who live locally is spot on, I went to Rí Rá in Las Vegas and met a fella from the same estate as me working there who gave me a million and one ideas of what to do for the week as well as pubs to go to for music etc. It's an accessible and informative source of local knowledge. Visiting an Irish bar doesn't have to equate with you spending the entire holiday there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Balmed Out wrote: »
    The notion that travel broadens your mind is nonsense. Some of my most traveled friends have the least open minds / taste buds etc etc while the opposite also holds through.
    Reminds me of a well travelled young chap who parked himself beside me in the pub recently (while I was enjoying a quiet pint with the paper btw :mad:) and continued to yammer on for ages about all the countries he'd been to.
    At first it was all 'beautiful sunsets, different cultures and scenery' etc but as he got more drunk he confessed that the best thing about those countries is the really good drugs and the incredibly cheap prostitutes. Culture me arse, in reality he's just a one man stag party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I wouldn't see it as very unusual/odd for a 19/20 year old to never have left Ireland. Plenty of families holiday at home and some kids are less adventurous or confident than others.

I really like travelling; or more precisely, I like being in different countries and cities. I love being "out foreign" seeing and learning new things.

But, there is a tiny part of me, that is a little jealous of those ould wans/fellas who have only ever been to Dublin for a All Ireland Final is 1956 and never leave the country. The settled life (if contented and rich in other ways) is nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I wouldn't see it as very unusual/odd for a 19/20 year old to never have left Ireland. Plenty of families holiday at home and some kids are less adventurous or confident than others.
    !
    I think it really depends on where in Ireland you live and how wealthy your family are.

Living in North Dublin means the airport is cheap to get to and from. For others there is really an massive extra expense to just get to and from the airport. That is ignoring the extra time and travel.

I know I was lucky to travel when I was young. In saying that my secondary school did trips out of the country once a year and it was not a wealthy school. If it wasn't for that I doubt many of my class mates would have left the country by they time they left school.

Do rural schools not do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I grew up in a city, with an airport on our doorstep, outside of Dublin.

I was in the UK once (by ferry) when I was 12/13 but, other than that, I wasn't abroad (or even on a plane) until I went to the UK to study when I was 22.

Since then I've travelled extensively for work and pleasure. Been to Asia, US, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

FTA69 wrote: »
    Chalk it down. I make it a point to briefly visit an Irish bar wherever I go, out of curiosity as to how they're set up as much as anything else. Also what you said about chatting to the barstaff who live locally is spot on, I went to Rí Rá in Las Vegas and met a fella from the same estate as me working there who gave me a million and one ideas of what to do for the week as well as pubs to go to for music etc. It's an accessible and informative source of local knowledge. Visiting an Irish bar doesn't have to equate with you spending the entire holiday there.

hmm. I've been to irish bars across europe, ashamedly, and only really to watch football, but the staff have been local.

I watched a northern irish crowd start a fight with a macedonian who was working in an irish bar in europe. They asked him why he didn't 'go back home'.

Awful places that attract scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Leftist wrote: »
    hmm. I've been to irish bars across europe, ashamedly, and only really to watch football, but the staff have been local.

:confused:

Why would you be "ashamed" to watch a game of soccer in an Irish pub?
    Is there something terrible about catching a match now? It's as legitimate an activity as any other. I go to Irish bars regularly in London for a variety of reasons, when I'm abroad I'll always pop into one for a nose (as much out of voyeurism as anything else.)
    Awful places that attract scum.

Hyperbolic nonsense.

FTA69 wrote: »

:confused:

Why would you be "ashamed" to watch a game of soccer in an Irish pub?
    Is there something terrible about catching a match now? It's as legitimate an activity as any other. I go to Irish bars regularly in London for a variety of reasons, when I'm abroad I'll always pop into one for a nose (as much out of voyeurism as anything else.)

The crowd that are in them are generally horrific. Don't want to be associated with them, hence the shame.

Not all of them of course, just the regulars/stag weekends mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'm still amazed that families would travel by boat across to Britain, even for a quick break!

Admittedly we all have our personal family experiences, and for us it was always about taking the boat over to Wales for the odd weekend break, or a two week camping holiday in Wales or England. Flying holidays to distant destinations arrived when I was in my early 20s.

PS: Britain (by boat) is sooo close, how could you avoid it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I know a few a few lads who have never even left the town. Stuck in a rut, drinking in the same pub every night, talking the same sh!te to the same fellas every night.

Those fools who step off the plane in their local GAA jersey with their milky freckly skin. And all they do is flock to the local Irish bar for the week, and watch the Munster final and talk crap with some lad that lives 2 miles away from them at home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

MJ23 wrote: »
    I know a few a few lads who have never even left the town. Stuck in a rut, drinking in the same pub every night, talking the same sh!te to the same fellas every night.

Townies :pac:

MJ23 wrote: »

Those fools who step off the plane in their local GAA jersey with their milky freckly skin. And all they do is flock to the local Irish bar for the week, and watch the Munster final and talk crap with some lad that lives 2 miles away from them at home.

yep. Very cringe seeing a clown in a gaa top overseas.

complaining because they can't get irish products in shops. Big potato heads on them thinking they're a culture shock for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Love2u wrote: »
    I avoid Irish pubs when i travel, I travel to get away from that scene altogether. I'm sometimes embarrassed to say I'm Irish when I see and hear the carry on of "some" Irish people when they leave the Irish soil :-/.

+1

For those who do like them though theres a place Ive heard of that has thousands of them.

Its called Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

complaining because they can't get irish products in shops. Big potato heads on them thinking they're a culture shock for everyone else.

you seem to know a lot about them and what they are asking for in shops, what they wear, what they say, etc. Are you sure you're not one of them. :D You should really explore more - you seem to gravitate towards the irish bar, irish scene when abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    +1

For those who do like them though theres a place Ive heard of that has thousands of them.

Its called Ireland !

I avoid pubs in Ireland too. I'd sooner rather sit at home and read a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I used to think like this until I realized something, I wouldn't look down on a Brazilian living abroad wearing a Gremio/Corinthians jersey and shopping in a local Brazilian market and partying with other Brazilians. Do you cringe at such people?

cupcake83 wrote: »
    Are you kidding? I live in the US and know people who have never been out of their home state! Lol

But the thread is about people who have never lreland.

Are you kidding? I live in the US and know people who have never been out of their home state! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

When I was at the Grand Canyon we stopped for a lunchbreak after we left and I got chatting to a guy who lived an hours drive from it and had never been, that is astonishing to me, one of the most spectacular things you'll ever see on earth an hour away and never been to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I used to think like this until I realized something, I wouldn't look down on a Brazilian living abroad wearing a Gremio/Corinthians jersey and shopping in a local Brazilian market and partying with other Brazilians. Do you cringe at such people?

Bit of a difference between an exile and a tourist no ?

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    When I was at the Grand Canyon we stopped for a lunchbreak after we left and I got chatting to a guy who lived an hours drive from it and had never been, that is astonishing to me, one of the most spectacular things you'll ever see on earth an hour away and never been to it.
    A friend of mine lives in Orlando and tells people he has never been to the theme parks. He has been to them a lot he just doesn't want to talk to people.

EdenHazard wrote: »

I don't know enough about brazilians to associate that with parochialism or expect them to bang on about brazil for the rest of their lives.

Put it this way if I saw a bunch of yanks in dublin wearing american football merchandise and boring everyone to tears about local american customs then I'd probs cringe too.

I don't know enough about brazilians to associate that with parochialism or expect them to bang on about brazil for the rest of their lives.

Put it this way if I saw a bunch of yanks in dublin wearing american football merchandise and boring everyone to tears about local american customs then I'd probs cringe too.
    It is a bit different when you are living in a place and you want to feel a little piece of home on occasion versus going on holiday and trying to replicate home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Mother in law took her first trip outside of Japan when she was in her 70s. She took everything in her stride and didn't seem phased by the new surroundings :)

As for being away from Ireland, as I have been for years... well, despite not doing the old flag waving thing, I do buy occasional Irish produce here in the UK. And I have been known to wear a jersey when the 6 Nations is on...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There are certain Irish products I can't live without. Barrys tea, and a British one, HP brown sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cupcake83

True but travel abroad is a pretty big deal to a lot of people or at least to me it is and it's pretty expensive all together so it shocks me that people are surprised. Over here it's easy to jump in your car and head to another state... no passport or other abroad travel issues and its reasonably priced compared to flights . People sometimes still dont travel here ,let alone travel abroad! I'm sure there are plenty of people in Ireland who do the same ,don't travel outside of their few surrounding cities/towns but I can imagine traveling abroad is an even bigger deal for them to me it's a whole different level of travel. Doesn't really matter which country you are from the reasoning is probably similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I accidentally Ireland once. The whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cupcake83

krudler wrote: »
    Yes I know quite a bit of people like this myself . It's sort of silly especially if you live that close to something, I agree!

There are certain Irish products I can't live without. Barrys tea, and a British one, HP brown sauce.

So there are certain products you can't live without? not necessarily irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So there are certain products you can't live without? not necessarily irish.

There are a few Irish ones. Barry's tea being one. And a British one.

All others I am easy on and will have the local variety.

Advertisement