Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

ah don't be worrying about me experiencing stuff, I'd say going by your posts I could run rings around ya, either here or in any other country. :P

although I did get a few laughs out of your posts.

MY god, very touchy there, must have hit a nerve, I do apologise...

Its not a competition, just having a discussion... right we can leave it at that, its kinda pointless at this stage dont ya think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And finally, goes back to the old saying "ignorance is bliss" :)

Ignorance of what? That's got nothing to do with it at all.

"You don't know what you are missing" that was the phrase you used.
    Have you ever ran a marathon - no, you dont know what you are missing.......
    Have you ever worked 70 hours a week washing dishes - no, you don't know what you are missing
    Have you ever lived for three months in a tent - no, you dont know what you are missing.

People have a fairly good idea about certain things without doing them.

:) OK, you have your book and I prefer to see the real thing....

No point in trying to convince you...

You've obviously never "seen" the Mona Lisa.
    You get about as close to it as they let the commoner get to Queen Elizabeth last year, its being protective class and its generally crazy busy in there.
    I'd prefer to have a chance to analyse a print of it (tbh I couldnt give two hoots about art)

BTW - dont think you can learn everything from a book, of course reading is very good, but dont limit yourself to that, their so much more out there for ya - go experience :)

Experience what?
    I dont get it honestly?
    Seeing something, is not experiencing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

MY god, very touchy there, must have hit a nerve, I do apologise...

Its not a competition, just having a discussion... right we can leave it at that, its kinda pointless at this stage dont ya think :)

the only thing pointless is you calling people that haven't travelled "narrowminded" you have just proved that travel has absolutely nothing got to do with being broadminded and levels of intelligence. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Well not really you are bound to learn something about culture, whether food, or a word or 2 in the language etc etc

oh, lemme see

hola signor, paella por favor

(there - thats the spanish culture done).

Next

you don't have to move from your armchair to sample a countries food or say hello and goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

I once met a cabbie in Jersey, said he left Ireland when he was a teen, and he's now 74, and he has never been back to Ireland, not even once - even though it's just an hour away with Aer Lingus!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

People are different. I am not irish but Ireland is home for me for many years and I cannot imagine living somewhere else and I usually get strange looks when I say where I was born as this is a country many people would consider the "perfect country".

I am home here and I love it, I am a tour guide here and know more about Ireland than about my own home country. You would be amazed how many people consider Ireland as a paradise because of all those things that drives us mad here. And yes I say us because Ireland is home.

I love to travel and I really want to see the world, and I am afraid a lifetime isn't enough to cover all the places I have on my bucket list. I am lucky because I have seen lots of places, meet lots of people from all background and cultures etc but I will always return to Ireland.

But never would I consider someone who hasn't got a passport or has never left the country as narrowminded, I rather consider myself lucky that I had the chance and opportunity to travel.

I am the black sheep in my family, none of them has the need to travel. My father probably would and he always thought he will get the chance to see places but life never goes according to plan. He was the only boy in the family, looked after the farm when his dad got sick, he worked from a very early age and now he is retired his health isn't great and he worries about going away, not speaking the language etc. To get my mother away you have to put a gun to her head and she would still refuse because she thinks the world out there is baaaaad. They came and visited me here a while ago and my dad had a great time and he enjoys to read and see about other cultures etc.
    My sister is 40 and she has never been away except to visit me here which is a 2 hour flight away. I feel a bit sorry for her because she just hasn't got the energy to get of the couch on her anual leave. She talks about going to see the Grand Canyon etc but she will never get up and book a flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

HONEY :) knowing and experiencing are 2 very different things aswell :) Try and describe the mona lisa in a book? HONEY :)

Actually, lot of those Art Historians do describe works in books, very well as well, and they can go into detail about the niggle bits about the works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Never went on holiday until I could afford it at age 18.

Never been to Cork except for a concert so I'd imagine I'd be pretty happy to see the sights, much like the 19 year old in the OP (19 was a long time ago for me).

Nothing wrong with excitement.

How much world view do you think most 19 year olds have anyway, OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 HenryByron01

The Comedien Kevin Mc Aleer was telling a story about how he visited all the countries like India Canada and around Europe. He then flew into dublin and got the bus home. When he was telling his father about all the paces he visited. His father asked "was there many on the bus" True story some Irish people have no intention of moving or leaving the country. But that is their thing i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    My OH's course went on a trip to Dublin the other day from Sligo. One of the girls, who's 19, was amazed by stuff like the spire and junkies.

Then she later mentioned that she never had a passport and was never abroad, not even England!

I also know an auld one from the village where my mum comes from, who never left Sligo until a few years ago, when she had to go to Dublin for medical reasons.

The first time I can remember going abroad was at the age of 8, but that was to go to England, and things didn't seem all that different. I wonder what it would be like now, at the age of 20, to go abroad for the first time and just be captivated by minor cultural differences.

Do you know anyone who has never been abroad? (specifically Ireland). And does it affect their worldview?

19 is still very young. I didn't get my first passport until I was 21. My family couldn't afford to take me abroad when I was young, and I finally had enough money to travel when I was in my early 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Love this island, North and South.

I've been abroad, all over Europe, North and South America, and while I'd liove to travel more, I could happily end my days never leaving this hallowed Isle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I went to portlaoise for the first time last weekend.

It was grim

Only 10 more years till you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm 36 and have a passport, aside from hollyhead and the north, i've never travelled abroad.

I have worked and visited pretty much everywhere in Ireland though and i like to think i have a decent worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Left Ireland for the first time at the age of 26.
    Was about 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Planning the annual trip to the mainland next weekend, what's the forecast like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Only realised this was a zombie thread when I got to this page....I feel cheated!

I once took great offence at someone expressing similar sentiments to the OP, as my father, who was in his late 50's at the time, had only ever been to London once for a wedding. I argued then (and still would) that he was the most well read and informed person I knew, and I could not accept that he should be judged as small minded for his lack of travel experience.

By contrast, I grew up with a girl in Dublin who was taken on two foreign holidays a year throughout her childhood, normally to Costa del Something, but when we went to Galway together as 19 year olds, she uttered things like 'Oh my God, there's a McDonalds', and "I can't believe they have The Body Shop here'. She genuinely thought that all outside Dublin were living like peasants!

That trip to Galway broadened her perspective immeasurably!

I love travel, and it's harder to organise fulfilling holidays abroad (sun holiday not for us) with two children, but we manage at least every other year.

I also love when my own little country surprises me. We recently drove from Clifden to Westport, a road we had not taken before and the scenery was breath-taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't been outside of Ireland since 2001 - there I said it :p

Didn't have the money/time in the right combination for years, and I guess I inherited my mother's attitude that I'd rather spend the money on other stuff that I'd still have 2 weeks later.

I do get out of Dublin almost every weekend though, and we lived abroad for a few years when I was young so it's not all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I haven't been outside of Ireland since 2001 - there I said it :p

Didn't have the money/time in the right combination for years, and I guess I inherited my mother's attitude that I'd rather spend the money on other stuff that I'd still have 2 weeks later.

I do get out of Dublin almost every weekend though, and we lived abroad for a few years when I was young so it's not all bad.
    Used to travel a reasonable amount up to 2009 - just holidays; never lived anywhere else long-term. Haven't since, other than to places in Ireland, due to decrease in funds and less interest and becoming single. Not that you need a partner to travel but I had it kinda ingrained in my head that you do. :)
    Developing an interest in travel again though.

It's bizarre for the OP to be so surprised at a 19-year-old not being out of the country yet. They're ****ing 19! I guess it's all about perspective though.

• Advertisement

Used to travel a reasonable amount up to 2009 - just holidays; never lived anywhere else long-term. Haven't since, other than to places in Ireland, due to decrease in funds and less interest and becoming single. Not that you need a partner to travel but I had it kinda ingrained in my head that you do. :)
    Developing an interest in travel again though.

That's true actually. I wasn't seeing anyone seriously for a good stretch of my mid-20s and most of my friends are older and had already settled down so I guess the idea of travelling on my own seemed a bit pointless/sad without someone to share it with (I know, I know.. awww! :p)

I do want to travel a bit but while my situation has improved, I now have other commitments to think of too so it's unlikely in the short-medium term.

Some day though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yeah, people who can't get €40 together to fly into mainland Europe have significantly larger issues with their lives than not being able to travel.
    Yeah, if you can pay for your flight you're sorted no need for food accommodation and all the extra expenses that go with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    That's true actually. I wasn't seeing anyone seriously for a good stretch of my mid-20s and most of my friends are older and had already settled down so I guess the idea of travelling on my own seemed a bit pointless/sad without someone to share it with (I know, I know.. awww! :p)

I do want to travel a bit but while my situation has improved, I now have other commitments to think of too so it's unlikely in the short-medium term.

Some day though... :)

Travelling solo is brilliant, nobody else to make you late, argue with or make you do stuff you don't want to, being on your own schedule is lovely. I'd be pretty introverted but when I was out of my comfort zone I'd wind up chatting to random people in airports and bars and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭HelpImAlive

I'm 20 but I've never been outside of Ireland. Mainly down to the fact my parents could never afford to bring us out of the country and I still couldn't really afford to go.

It's kind of awkward in work when people are speaking about all the places they've been and I don't even have a clue where or what some of them are. Really have an ambition to travel though, hopefully get around to it soon.. :)

krudler wrote: »
    Travelling solo is brilliant, nobody else to make you late, argue with or make you do stuff you don't want to, being on your own schedule is lovely. I'd be pretty introverted but when I was out of my comfort zone I'd wind up chatting to random people in airports and bars and the like.

Ah yes but I was younger and shy :p Grew up in the 80s and times were hard so had never been away at all in those days (save for the 3 years living in Holland).

Now the chance to jet off somewhere random for a few weeks/months is gone but that's ok.. I'll sort something else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

3 of my grandparents, 1 was born in Philadelphia. People seem to be becoming less travelled nowadays, about 8 of my great-great aunts/uncles emmigrated to usa or australia, people over 100 years ago have seen more of the world than me and they were poorer.

The furthest I've been is Paris and I go to university in England(which technically is in the same country as NI were i live)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I think our Irish cultural emissary in Bangkok has one or two self-esteem issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My grandparents I think. People seem to be becoming less travelled nowadays, about 8 of my great-great aunts/uncles emmigrated to usa or australia, people over 100 years ago have seen more of the world than me and they were poorer.
    Back then it was a one way ticket and tough if you didn't like it as there was no comeback for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yeah, if you can pay for your flight you're sorted no need for food accommodation and all the extra expenses that go with it ;)

You can get a single room in a cheap hotel for €20 a night if you book in advance or go off peak. You could get a long weekend away foe €100 if you plan ahead. Which is still far less than you'd pay for a weekend away in ireland.
    hate those shows which encourage you to go away in ireland. "You can go to the fabulous Tiger hotel in Kilarney for only €99 PP per night bed and breakfast"

I'm very far from flush but I try to go abroad once a year. I'm going to head at the end of sept this year. I'll book flights this week and book the accomodation after the next pay cheque. The whole thing will cost about €100-120. The return flights will probably be cheaper than a return train ticket to Kerry (and shorter too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who has never been abroad? (specifically Ireland). And does it affect their worldview?

I've never been abroad. I have had the Internet from before it was WWW, have watched thousands of travel programmes, travel blogs, history programmes and heard of the queues at airports, the cancelling of flights, the Jumbo Jet collisions killing over 600 people on the ground, the hijackings, then the security and the fuss, packing and ultimately all places in the world are exactly the same nowadays, those lazy, cheapskate developers have painted the world all over exactly the same.

And finally, if one throws in the amount of immigration into this country, all the Worlds' cultures have come to me anyway, in person.

Advertisement