Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have never left Ireland, EVER!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There are certain Irish products I can't live without. Barrys tea, and a British one, HP brown sauce.
    that british product is now 100% dutch since heinz took them over and moved production to the mainland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

There are certain Irish products I can't live without. Barrys tea, and a British one, HP brown sauce.

I miss a good sliced pan. And Cadburys.

Since HP Brown Sauce is owned by the Dutch, do we now pronounce it Brune Shauce? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Caonima wrote: »
    I miss a good sliced pan. And Cadburys.

Since HP Brown Sauce is owned by the Dutch, do we now pronounce it Brune Shauce? :D

Is Sean Connery Dutch now?

old hippy wrote: »
    Is Sean Connery Dutch now?

Yesh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

that british product is now 100% dutch since heinz took them over and moved production to the mainland!

Pity they don't widely sell it on the mainland. Could buy it in a shopping centre in Brussels but it was crazy money.

• Advertisement

Pity they don't widely sell it on the mainland. Could buy it in a shopping centre in Brussels but it was crazy money.

Posh hoor, why don't you go to Lidl? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Not everyone has the luxury of foreign holidays and at 19 while it may be unusual, I wouldn't consider it odd

The way you're talking these people must be living a hand to mouth existence with the arse hanging out of their trousers.

Yeah they can't scrape up the few quid for a Ryanair flight to Liverpool or Belgium yet they seem to be able to drop 40 or 50 bills on beer in the pub every weekend and those iPhones ain't free either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

cupcake83 wrote: »
    True but travel abroad is a pretty big deal to a lot of people or at least to me it is and it's pretty expensive all together so it shocks me that people are surprised. Over here it's easy to jump in your car and head to another state... no passport or other abroad travel issues and its reasonably priced compared to flights . People sometimes still dont travel here ,let alone travel abroad! I'm sure there are plenty of people in Ireland who do the same ,don't travel outside of their few surrounding cities/towns but I can imagine traveling abroad is an even bigger deal for them to me it's a whole different level of travel. Doesn't really matter which country you are from the reasoning is probably similar.

if I lived in America I certainly wouldn't feel the need to travel, there's a huge difference between Ireland and America. America has good weather, has huge stores where you can buy anything you could possibly want or need, lots of outdoor parks, outdoor festivals, concerts, farmers markets......the list goes on. Each state is huge, whereas Ireland only has a population of about 4million.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cupcake83

Love2u wrote: »
    if I lived in America I certainly wouldn't feel the need to travel, there's a huge difference between Ireland and America. America has good weather, has huge stores where you can buy anything you could possibly want or need, lots of outdoor parks, outdoor festivals, concerts, farmers markets......the list goes on. Each state is huge, whereas Ireland only has a population of about 4million.
    I'm just curious but have you ever been here? I personally do travel outside of America and have been to well over half of the states here ! we do have a lot, don't get me wrong ! we don't have many things Europe has , not at all! It's a "newer" nation we don't have castles or a gazillion other historical landmarks etc. that European countries possess!
    I guess some people have romanticized ideas about it but as an American, I find it kind of boring after a while and many states lack a lot as well and are basically nothing special! I grew up in Ohio and well haven't been back in 13 years but to visit family! Pretty crappy state ! I think there are states worthy of visiting like I mentioned living in Alaska but I wouldn't say I never felt the need to stay in one state forever because I do leave and will continue to travel at home and abroad regardless of what is available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Love2u wrote: »

you would. Believe me. America might be vast, but their culture is the same. I think people might travel to the US for the great shopping but people from the US travel to Europe because it is so different culturally from the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

you would. Believe me. America might be vast, but their culture is the same. I think people might travel to the US for the great shopping but people from the US travel to Europe because it is so different culturally from the States.
    The culture state to state varies a lot. If you have travelled there you would know this.

cupcake83 wrote: »
    I'm just curious but have you ever been here? I personally do travel outside of America and have been to well over half of the states here ! we do have a lot, don't get me wrong ! we don't have many things Europe has , not at all! It's a "newer" nation we don't have castles or a gazillion other historical landmarks etc. that European countries possess!
    I guess some people have romanticized ideas about it but as an American, I find it kind of boring after a while and many states lack a lot as well and are basically nothing special! I grew up in Ohio and well haven't been back in 13 years but to visit family! Pretty crappy state ! I think there are states worthy of visiting like I mentioned living in Alaska but I wouldn't say I never felt the need to stay in one state forever because I do leave and will continue to travel at home and abroad regardless of what is available to me.

I'm just back from America. I go there every year for two months. If you live in America you have the option of staying in America and just visiting the different states. Compare the population and size of America to Ireland! Yes we have Castles here but you have to look for them, there not everywhere. Personally if I lived in America I wouldn't feel the need to travel like I do when I'm here in Ireland. Ireland is so small, everyone knows everyone and you can't get lost in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Acerbus Maximus

I've only been outside Ireland 3 times in my life.

Went to Canada twice with my band.
    Went to Berlin once with my wife.

First time was when I was 24. The things I've learned from going abroad in all instances were the same: Ireland is really just as horrible compared to other parts of the developed world as I've always thought, and that given 2 weeks off work I'd rather spend it playing video games and lifting than doing anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The culture state to state varies a lot. If you have travelled there you would know this.

There is, there's also a huge difference between North/South and East/West coast. I've lived in both south of DC and in RI/MASS

In the NE you will always be able to find shops that have an Irish isle but not so much the further south you go. There is horrific sprawl in the US too, literally nothing is handy and you pretty much need a car if you don't live in a metropolitan area, and even then.

I wouldn't! The culture and states can be a lot different. I love the variety in America. I think most states in America have a lot to offer and I wouldn't feel the need to travel as much in America as I do when I'm here In Ireland.

in what way - please explain.

The scenery might be different, the accents might be different, and the weather might be different, but basically you are still in they USA where every city contains the same shops restaurants chains, tv shows etc - they are under one government, their "values" are are all similar - It's like saying the culture in Dublin varies a lot to the culture in Cork - it doesn't - it's two separate counties in the one country under one govt with one history. the USA is separate States under one government.

and yes, I have travelled and worked and lived in the States for years.

in what way - please explain.

The scenery might be different, the accents might be different, and the weather might be different, but basically you are still in they USA where every city contains the same shops restaurants chains - they are under one government, their "values" are are all similar - It's like saying the culture in Dublin varies a lot to the culture in Cork - it doesn't - it's two separate counties in the one country under one govt with one history.

and yes, I have travelled and worked and lived in the States for years.

Austin is massively different from New York or even Huston. Boston is different from San Francisco. The culture and way people live is different. They aren't under one government, state laws are pretty different. That is like saying Ireland is the same a Germany because we are in the EU.

Food is different and the shops are different as many companies only operate in certain states or parts of the country.

If you are saying this is not the case than I very much doubt you have worked and lived in the US.

Austin is massively different from New York or even Huston. Boston is different from San Francisco. The culture and way people live is different. They aren't under one government, state laws are pretty different. That is like saying Ireland is the same a Germany because we are in the EU.

Food is different and the shops are different as many companies only operate in certain states or parts of the country.

If you are saying this is not the case than I very much doubt you have worked and lived in the US.

Comparing various countries in Europe to States in America doesn't make sense. The word here is different "countries" of Europe - not different States. Each "country" has their own history, their own language and their own culture.

Can you elaborate why Austin is "massively different" to New York (cultural-wise). What way is the food different? What would be Austin's national dish? What way are the shops different? Can you elaborate.

Which States don't celebrate Thansgiving, Labour Day, etc. Can you tell which States don't watch sthe Superball or have baseball, hockey, American Football as their national sports? When you say the word hamburger, macaroni and cheese, or "american as apple pie" which State exactly do you refer to? How many national anthems do they have, or constitutions?"

I don't really mind if you "doubt" if I have lived and worked in the USA - that's up to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Do people consider going abroad for work to be broadening the mind?

All through me twenties I was envious of friends\relatives that had jobs that brought them all over the world. I then got one of those jobs last year, I'm in my early thirties, but now I dread when I find out I have to go away, airport checkins\hotels\no real time to look around\keeping track of your expenses.

Maybe I got the job to late and would have enjoyed it more ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Leftist wrote: »
    yep. Very cringe seeing a clown in a gaa top overseas.

complaining because they can't get irish products in shops. Big potato heads on them thinking they're a culture shock for everyone else.

Do you cringe when you see "clowns" in Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc tops while abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Who gives a f*ck where anyone's been or if they've left Ireland. Do more of what makes you happy ffs.

kippy wrote: »
    Do you cringe when you see "clowns" in Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc tops while abroad?

I cringe whenever I see people wearing sports apparel unless they're engaged in some strenuous physical activity or at a sporting event.

I cringe whenever I see people wearing sports apparel unless they're engaged in some strenuous physical activity or at a sporting event.

I didn't ask you.......

Sorry. I'm still getting used to this place. Is there some way to block other users' private conversations showing up in threads?

Sorry. I'm still getting used to this place. Is there some way to block other users' private conversations showing up in threads?

I quoted Leftist, as it was his/her views I needed further clarification on.

kippy wrote: »
    I quoted Leftist, as it was his/her views I needed further clarification on.

Maybe you should have sent a PM then.

Maybe you should have sent a PM then.

Oh sorry,
    PM sent. Didn't realise you could PM on this forum.

Comparing various countries in Europe to States in America doesn't make sense. The word here is different "countries" of Europe - not different States. Each "country" has their own history, their own language and their own culture.

Can you elaborate why Austin is "massively different" to New York (cultural-wise). What way is the food different? What would be Austin's national dish? What way are the shops different? Can you elaborate.

Which States don't celebrate Thansgiving, Labour Day, etc. Can you tell which States don't watch sthe Superball or have baseball, hockey, American Football as their national sports? When you say the word hamburger, macaroni and cheese, or "american as apple pie" which State exactly do you refer to? How many national anthems do they have, or constitutions?"

I don't really mind if you "doubt" if I have lived and worked in the USA - that's up to you :D
    Texas where chilli is a local food vs Massachusetts lobster and chowder is local.
    Newbury Comics are in New England but not in Texas.
    Can you name a country in Europe that doesn't watch the European Championship, celebrate Christmas, New Years etc... States have state holidays. Some states ice hockey is more popular than American Football

A state is a name for a country. Effectively each state in the US is a country. Climate differences are enough for the cultures to be different. Different communities in different states. Not many Mexican descendants in Alaska but more in Texas.

Given you even asked these questions is a pretty clear indication you have not travelled and lived in the US extensively. Maybe you did and just managed not to notice anything. I doubt there are many who would agree with you who actually have travelled and lived in the US.

Just because each state shares common elements doesn't mean they are the same. They weren't even part of the same country for a time so have different histories.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can understand why some people don't leave big countries like the US. You can go on a skiing holiday and a sun holiday and everything in between.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I like when I see GAA jerseys on the tube and around town now. I'm always wondering what game is on or what pub they're going to. People giving out about them need to get over themselves. I was probably guilty of it in the past but you need to worry about more important things.

Advertisement