Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Tickets are on sale now for the game vs Kerry,
    Snap 'em up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

pipelaser wrote: »
    Tickets are on sale now for the game vs Kerry,
    Snap 'em up!

Just came to post this. Got mine about 30 mins ago. Great to have it sorted early. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

Must get mine so. Though IF we lose (really reallly hope not) on Sunday, it will be a bit of a dampener for Navan... playing for nothing really... tho obviously it’s still great to see Meath v Kerry in our home ground... and I’m sure we’ll still have something to plat for ay!

snowgal wrote: »
    Must get mine so. Though IF we lose (really reallly hope not) on Sunday, it will be a bit of a dampener for Navan... playing for nothing really... tho obviously it’s still great to see Meath v Kerry in our home ground... and I’m sure we’ll still have something to plat for ay!

Theres never nothing to play for. Play for pride. Play to beat Kerry. Play to entertain the fans that turn up to support. Play to stop Kerry reaching the semi final by beating them. Theres always something

dobman88 wrote: »
    Theres never nothing to play for. Play for pride. Play to beat Kerry. Play to entertain the fans that turn up to support. Play to stop Kerry reaching the semi final by beating them. Theres always something

Ah I know as I said I’ll still go of course, it just would be extra amazing to be playing for a place also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Happy4all wrote:
    You peaked against Dublin?

This Meath team is 12 to 24 months away from peaking at least

The age of 4 Meath forwards who played on Sunday v Donegal

James Conlon 21
    Ethan Devine 20
    Dara Campion 20
    Shane Walsh 18 ( just finished his leaving cert 3 weeks ago )

and other young players on team and panel
    Ronan Ryan 22
    Ross Ryan 22
    Niall kane 22
    Gavin Mcoy 22
    Jason Scully 21
    Thomas Reilly 22
    Thomas McGovern 22
    Daragh McGovern 22
    Owen McDonnell 21
    Robin Clarke 22
    Sean Reilly 20

These players are very young and 10 games with div 1 teams in super 8s and the league will be priceless experience.

Then u have a group of players who will peak in next 24 months as most footballers peak at 25 26 27 .

James McEntee 24
    Gavin McCoy 24
    Seamus Lavin 24
    Shane McEntee 24
    Barry Dardis 24
    Ruari O Coilean 24
    Padraig Harnan 24
    Cillian Sullivan 25
    Adam Flanagan 25
    Bryan McMahon 26
    Conor McGill 26
    Andy Colgan 26.

Meath are one of youngest teams and panels in the country with average age 23 24. And I said 4 of the fowards on Sunday were 18 to 21. These players have potential . Meath are a coming team. Meath next summer will be much stronger. look at Roscommon this year and the difference after div 1 football and super 8s last year. This Meath team will.start to begin to peak next summer into 2021 and into summer of 2022. McEntee is just half way through his reign at the end of this season coz it is a 6 to 7 year job. And this Meath team are 12 to 24 months before reaching full potential at least . The game v Dublin game v Donegal were not peaks they were the beginning of upward trajectory that will continue into spring of 2020 and the summer and continue in 2021 to the summer of 2022. Meath are just beginning .

Players like Cillian Sullivan Gavin Mcoy Seamus lavin are improving all season long. No one predicted Meath would win promotion or reach super 8 at the start of the year. If anything many people were predicting Meath would be relegated to div 3. Tomas O Se at the start of the year predicted Meath would be relegated div 3. He admitted on Sunday he was very surprised how Meath played they played very good v second or third best team in the country double Ulster champions for third time this year. The second or third best team in the country have struggled to beat Meath on 3 different occasions this year, and so did All Ireland finalist Tyrone last year were very lucky to beat Meath

It was obvious at the start of the year that there would be a big improvement in Meath this year and they would get promoted. But people ignored this and just concentrated on the loss to longford last year and not the brilliant performance v Tyrone. The same way it obvious Meath young players and team.are improving and getting better and its obvious Meath will continue on this upward trajectory for next 2 years at least after this year. But people are just concentating on 4 points v Dublin. Not that Meath kept Dublin to their lowest score in championship in the first half in 8 years since Dublin played McGuiness Donegal in 2011. Meath have had after Dublin, one of best full back lines in this years championship. Look at how for 55 mins how well lavin McGill Gallagher did against Mannion Costello Callaghan. It wasnt til 55 min and Meath tired and game was over that Dublin forwards start to shine. Meath have one best defenders in.the country Donal keoghan and one best full backs in Conor McGill. And playing v Clifford Murphy kilkenny Mcmanus in next 10 games will bring on.this young Meath defence further. With players returning maybe up 8 or 9 including Meath best forward eg Donal lenihan and more young talent coming thru. And players peaking. As I said Meath are. improving even at the present time and this will continue for next 12 to 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel Croke Park will be deciding factor in this match. Mayo's experience playing there vs. Meath's lack of. I do think we can beat Mayo, certainly, and I really like and believe in this Meath team, but I think the hoodoo from the final might be too fresh in the player's minds. As has been mentioned before, and I won't harp on about it, but our kick outs are an issue. Colgan is still new to the inter county setup and the pressure on his kick outs will be more intense in Croker, so I fear this might be another decider.
    Did mayo play in Croker at all last year? They'd one match there this year.

Sunday will be Meath's 4th time in Croker this year. I don't think Mayo have that big an advantage over us.

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Sunday will be Meath's 4th time in Croker this year. I don't think Mayo have that big an advantage over us.

What am I missing in my head? Laois, Dublin, Donegal,???
    But yea I agree, don’t think they’ve an advantage over us in that regard...

RoyalCelt wrote:

RoyalCelt wrote:

I think we can win on Sunday. It will be tough coz u expect a Mayo backlash but we do have a chance . But Croke Park is an advantage for Mayo. If it was in Navan we would have an even better chance. Even Castlebar wud be better then Croker as Mayo have dreadful record in Castlebar. But after Dublin they have best record in the country in Croker recently.

In this decade they have won multiple All Ireland quater finals and 4 All Ireland semi finals and played in 5 All Ireland finals in Croker and recently won div 1 league title in Cro. They have beaten Dublin kerry Donegal Tyrone and Roscommon and all top teams in Croker in this decade . This Mayo team have probaly won up to 15 matchs in Croker , while this Meath team has won 1 match in Croker.

Meaths record in Croker in league and championship since 2010

]In 2010 We beat laois in Croker
    In 2010 We beat Dublin in Croker
    In 2010 We beat louth in Croker
    In 2012 We beat kildare in Croker
    In 2013 We beat Wexford in Croker
    In 2014 We beat kildare in Croker
    In 2019 We beat laois in Croker

We have only won once in Croker in 5 years. We have a recent poor record in Croker. Prior to 2010 we had excellent record in Croker one of the best in the Country for decades. Prior to 2010 Mayo had dreadful record in Croker. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s and up to 1989 Mayo didnt win a championship match in Croke Park for 38 years. Then they beat Donegal in 1989 semi final. They had awful hammerings by Cork in early 90s in Croker. They won 2 times in 90s in Croker v kerry in 96 and Offaly in 97. They won league title in 1970 and 2001 in Croker. But since they beat Dublin for first time ever in 2004 Mayos record has improved dramatically in Croker. Only Dublin have a better recent record in Croker then Mayo. It is an advantage to them but we still have a real chance of victory.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Happy4all wrote: »
    You peaked against Dublin?

Don't actually read the content of the post to make a cheap point. Good chap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

snowgal wrote: »
    What am I missing in my head? Laois, Dublin, Donegal,???
    But yea I agree, don’t think they’ve an advantage over us in that regard...
    The 4th will be mayo on Sunday

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The 4th will be mayo on Sunday

duh!! If I just read it correctly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think we can win on Sunday. It will be tough coz u expect a Mayo backlash but we do have a chance . But Croke Park is an advantage for Mayo. If it was in Navan we would have an even better chance. Even Castlebar wud be better then Croker as Mayo have dreadful record in Castlebar. But after Dublin they have best record in the country in Croker recently.

In this decade they have won multiple All Ireland quater finals and 4 All Ireland semi finals and played in 5 All Ireland finals in Croker and recently won div 1 league title in Cro. They have beaten Dublin kerry Donegal Tyrone and Roscommon and all top teams in Croker in this decade . This Mayo team have probaly won up to 15 matchs in Croker , while this Meath team has won 1 match in Croker.

Meaths record in Croker in league and championship since 2010

]In 2010 We beat laois in Croker
    In 2010 We beat Dublin in Croker
    In 2010 We beat louth in Croker
    In 2012 We beat kildare in Croker
    In 2013 We beat Wexford in Croker
    In 2014 We beat kildare in Croker
    In 2019 We beat laois in Croker

We have only won once in Croker in 5 years. We have a recent poor record in Croker. Prior to 2010 we had excellent record in Croker one of the best in the Country for decades. Prior to 2010 Mayo had dreadful record in Croker. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s and up to 1989 Mayo didnt win a championship match in Croke Park for 38 years. Then they beat Donegal in 1989 semi final. They had awful hammerings by Cork in early 90s in Croker. They won 2 times in 90s in Croker v kerry in 96 and Offaly in 97. They won league title in 1970 and 2001 in Croker. But since they beat Dublin for first time ever in 2004 Mayos record has improved dramatically in Croker. Only Dublin have a better recent record in Croker then Mayo. It is an advantage to them but we still have a real chance of victory.

Tyrone.:)

Your posts are a joy to behold on the forum,the depth of your GAA knowledge makes me think you should be a GAA correspondent (sports journalist) for a national newspaper.

seligehgit wrote:
    Your posts are a joy to behold on the forum,the depth of your GAA knowledge makes me think you should be a GAA correspondent (sports journalist) for a national newspaper.

Thanks for ur comments Seligehgit. Thats sounds like a dream job writing about gaa matters for living. But how wud u go about it. Id say u wud need a journalist degree for to work in that field. And I am bit to biased about Meath. But thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

I might sound very positive about Meath. The truth is since Boylan left I have been very pessimistic about Meath football. With the exception of start of 2008 ( coz we reached semi final in 07 ) , start of 2010 ( coz we reached semi final in 09 ) and start of 2014 ( coz we were promoted and played well v Dubs in 2013 ) , at the start of all those years, I was optimistic for Meath football. They were all false dawns. All the other years I was very pessimistic and felt Meath football was in a pretty poor place.

But since McEntee became manager I feel Meath r definatly going in the right direction, I felt McEntee had the CV to be good inter county manager . And post Boylan era ( 2006 to 2016 ) of changing managers and other issues is over. I feel with the work being done at underage and even in the last 12 months that has gone up level under Seamus kenny . Kenny who is following the Dublin blueprint for sucess at underage , I feel Meath will continue to be strong at underage in 2020s and this will really benefit the senior team.

We will have ups and downs but overall I feel there is evidence to suggest that 2020s will be much more sucessful era for Meath football then this decade. Time will tell. But this is first time since Boylan left that I feel Meath are slowly coming back to being a proper division 1 team county. Time will tell. And next years division 1 campaign cud be the defining moment for this generation of Meath footballers . Stay in divsion 1 and Monaghan Donegal and Galway have shown how staying in divsion 1 for couple of years is transformational for a county. Next spring is pivotal. Stay in divsion 1 and that could be the real turning point for Meath football . If we yo yo up and down the divisions. Promotion to div 1 one season, relegated next season to div 2. The teams development will be at a certain level and be limited to certain level. The best example is Monaghan and Mayo.
    Monaghan have been in divsion 1 since 2014 , 5 years. In those 5 years they have won 2 Ulster titles and reached All Ireland semi final and became a permanent top 6 team. Mayo are the longest county in div 1. Mayo are 23 years in division 1. Mayo in that time have reached 7 All Ireland senior finals. Only kerry have played in more All Ireland finals in that period. Its linked. Sucess in championship to permancey in div 1. So next spring is massive for Meath football .

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Players like Cillian Sullivan Gavin Mcoy Seamus lavin are improving all season long. No one predicted Meath would win promotion or reach super 8 at the start of the year. If anything many people were predicting Meath would be relegated to div 3. Tomas O Se at the start of the year predicted Meath would be relegated div 3. He admitted on Sunday he was very surprised how Meath played they played very good v second or third best team in the country double Ulster champions for third time this year. The second or third best team in the country have struggled to beat Meath on 3 different occasions this year, and so did All Ireland finalist Tyrone last year were very lucky to beat Meath

It was obvious at the start of the year that there would be a big improvement in Meath this year and they would get promoted. But people ignored this and just concentrated on the loss to longford last year and not the brilliant performance v Tyrone. The same way it obvious Meath young players and team.are improving and getting better and its obvious Meath will continue on this upward trajectory for next 2 years at least after this year. But people are just concentating on 4 points v Dublin. Not that Meath kept Dublin to their lowest score in championship in the first half in 8 years since Dublin played McGuiness Donegal in 2011. Meath have had after Dublin, one of best full back lines in this years championship. Look at how for 55 mins how well lavin McGill Gallagher did against Mannion Costello Callaghan. It wasnt til 55 min and Meath tired and game was over that Dublin forwards start to shine. Meath have one best defenders in.the country Donal keoghan and one best full backs in Conor McGill. And playing v Clifford Murphy kilkenny Mcmanus in next 10 games will bring on.this young Meath defence further. With players returning maybe up 8 or 9 including Meath best forward eg Donal lenihan and more young talent coming thru. And players peaking. As I said Meath are. improving even at the present time and this will continue for next 12 to 24 months.
    Some very interesting reading there Sonny, good to get a handle on where you see Meath are at and future prospects. How do you summarise the championship game v Offaly where media said Offaly should've/could've won?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

While i agree with Sonny about us improving over the next few years and about McCoy and Lavin improving as this season has gone on, i cant agree with him about Cillian O'Sullivan, iv'e watched him closely this year and find he starts brightly then fades out of the games as they go on, drifting out to the sideline and back towards the defence to positions where he cant influence the game when needed, we need him to step up tomorrow, along with finding a way to get Conlon involved more, the forwards in general need to take the chances that fall their way, need to get more scores on the board

While i agree with Sonny about us improving over the next few years and about McCoy and Lavin improving as this season has gone on, i cant agree with him about Cillian O'Sullivan, iv'e watched him closely this year and find he starts brightly then fades out of the games as they go on, drifting out to the sideline and back towards the defence to positions where he cant influence the game when needed, we need him to step up tomorrow, along with finding a way to get Conlon involved more, the forwards in general need to take the chances that fall their way, need to get more scores on the board

I understand what u say about Sullivan. He has not had a great championship. He was poor v Clare. But I did think he did play well v Donegal. He had a good league but his form dipped since Fermanagh game. He does need to learn how to control games better and not lose ball. But over the years when he has played well , Meath usually play well. Over the years when I have seen play well he has looked a class act. He has pace and vision. And he has put in some serious performances in the green and gold. I remeber when we beat Galway in the league in Navan in 2017 he was the best player on the field. But he has been inconsistent. And I think like allot of our players when they come up against blanket defences, zonal defences and sweepers he can lose ball. But I think like allot of our players he is gettinf physically stronger. He is 25 so he sud peak in the next 2 to 3 years. He does need to cut out some bad habits . And yes he has had poor championship after a good league. But he is player with huge potential and can become an important player for us. And in the last few years has been an important player for us. And also it must be said the opposition do try and take him out of the game allot. The opposition see him as a threat and with Reilly gone from the team he is the player who gets very closely marked on the half forward line.

Some very interesting reading there Sonny, good to get a handle on where you see Meath are at and future prospects. How do you summarise the championship game v Offaly where media said Offaly should've/could've won?

Just about Offaly game I will put in point form.

1 Meath form has dipped since the league. Meath had to peak twice this year.It is very hard for division 2 team who win promotion to have a good championship. Roscommon and Cavan were promoted from div 2 last year they had a poor championship, and Galway in 2017 were promoted from div 2 and had a poor championship. They were hammered by Roscommon in Connacht and were very poor v kerry in Croker in 2017. Kildare were promoted in 2017 also but their championship was not great eitheir. They were excellent v us , but while they had some good moves v Dublin, the game was over by half time. And they were poor when Armagh knocked them out of the championship. All the last few teams who were promoted from div 2 had poor championships afterwards. They had to peak twice in the season , one peak for league another peak for championship. They all failed and their form dipped for the championship. Meath have had that problem. Their form dipped in championship starting with Offaly game. But overall Meaths performance have been better then Roscommon or Cavan championship performances last year and other div 2 teams who were promoted who also struggled in the following championship. Meath form has dipped but hopefully it can peak again for Super 8. I actually think Meaths championship has been the best of the promoted div 2 teams in recent years. Teams who were promoted in the spring and then had a poor championship in the summer.

2 Everyone thought Meath were going to hammer Offaly. We underestimated Offaly . We thought they were nearly relegated to div 4 there was form was poor. We wud beat them easily. Offaly actually lost allot of their games by a point or two. And Offaly won 2 challenge before they played Meath by beating two teams from div 2 in the weeks before the Meath game. Offaly were coming into form.

3 Offaly in the last few years their form has been poor. This was their best performance in leinster in years. Maughan has a role here. He did excellent jobs at Mayo and Clare in the past . And he had impact at Offaly this year. Offaly after losing to Meath had a good run in the qualifiers they played very well and came close to reaching the Super 8s. Offaly have good players and the return of excellent Niall McNamee

3 Meath looked flat , the crowd were flat. People expected Meath to hammer Offaly and when Offaly actually played really well it took team and everyone by surprise.

4 Offaly would have no fear of Meath. They have a great tradition. The wins in 1997 and 2000 against great Meath team was mentioned allot in the week beforehand. And death of late Eugene McGee their greatest ever manager a beforehand , Offaly were up for this.

5 Maughan would love to beat Meath. He never stops talking about 96 he said he still thinks about it every day. Playing Meath is personal for Maughan. Game v Offaly was similar to 96. Offaly played best football like Mayo did in 96 for first 50 mins but Meath finished strongly.

6 Offaly would have seen kildare and particularly Westmeath and Longford beat Meath in leinster championship in recent years. This would have given them confidence. Meath record in leinster in last 3 years before this year was dreadful lost to Westmeath in 2015 , hammered by Dublin in 2016 and kildare in 2017. Meath form was poor in leinster in recent years and only this year they won 3 games in leinster the first time since 2010.

7 And finally it was really important win for Meath. We needed to get leinster final. And in any other year In 2015 2016 2017 and 2018 we wud have lost that game. Longford was very similar game and we lost it in 2018. But Meath have improved greatly this year. And they didnt play well and yet showed real nerve and strong character to win against the odds v Offaly. We wouldnt have done that last year or any year since 2010.

8 And of course Offaly were excellent. They really through the kitchen sink at Meath. Offalys midfield was excellent and Meath had problems with kickouts at start of second half. Overall Offaly had a good championship. And I wouldnt be surprised to see Offaly promoted to div 2 next year. With excellent Cian Johnston from under 20s I think Offaly will improve. It would be great to see Offaly back. One of leinsters great football counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Incredibly frustrating first half. Almost a mirror image of Donegal game. Defence has been great, but we are embarrassingly wasteful in possession. What’s the obsession with passing it to someone who is under pressure themselves? Newman has been very poor. Just as I type this Conlon naively losses possession again and Mayo go straight on the attack. Hopefully Newman going off will be a blessing in disguise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Well in this.
    Need to get a bit more shape in our forwards and we will come close.
    Defence doing well but can't rely on heroic blocks the whole way through.

Come on lads, we're more than capable!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭This is it

Should be up by a few to be honest, hoping we aren't as wasteful in the 2nd. First time bringing the young fella, enjoying it so far!

Mayo were there for the taking. Meath kicking absolutely shocking again. And I wont even start on the goalkeeper. You wouldnt see his like in Junior B

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Mayo were there for the taking. Meath kicking absolutely shocking again. And I wont even start on the goalkeeper. You wouldnt see his like in Junior B
    Every game colgan is costing us a minimum of 4-5 pints

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Every game colgan is costing us a minimum of 4-5 pints

:pac:

Can safely say if the keeper on my team did that he would never live it down. Shocking stuff

We are so naive in possession at times it’s ridiculous. Passing to players who are under pressure, aimless kick passing and taking ridiculous pot shots.

I find it hard to believe Andy is not telling the lads to stop taking aimless shots of goal but it was the same today as was against Dublin.

Ultimately we aren’t fit enough to compete at this level yet but it will come.

Colgan simply has to go. As someone said he’s costing us 4/5 points a game and Mayos momentum today all started from a lost kick out, just like against Donegal.

I also find it hard to believe there isn’t a better inside forward in the county then Conlon. He’s been awful in the last 2 games.

COS direct running is great but needs to happen more often.

Dead rubber next week but a chance to put in a statement against a Kerry team who’ll be playing for something. Good years for McGill, Lavin, Keoghan, JMcE. This post may be negative but looking forward to seeing this Meath team going forward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I’ll defend Colgan slightly. Yes, the goal came from a bad kickout, but the defending after the kickout was shocking. McLoughlin simply sauntered into the box unnoticed and wasn’t tracked. His kickouts were decent enough up to then.

Forwards again killed us. O’Sullivan’s sitter would have put us 3 up with less than 20 to go. Mayo went up the other end and bought a free. Think we only got 3 more points after that.
    Baptism of fire for us. Have played well for 60 minutes in both games but have lost both by 9. At least the players know the work they need to put in over the winter if they are to have any chance of staying up. And again, every effort needs to be made to get players back!
    Hopefully a big crowd next week. It’s been an excellent season regardless of the last two results.

I’ll defend Colgan slightly. Yes, the goal came from a bad kickout, but the defending after the kickout was shocking. McLoughlin simply sauntered into the box unnoticed and wasn’t tracked. His kickouts were decent enough up to then.

Forwards again killed us. O’Sullivan’s sitter would have put us 3 up with less than 20 to go. Mayo went up the other end and bought a free. Think we only got 3 more points after that.
    Baptism of fire for us. Have played well for 60 minutes in both games but have lost both by 9. At least the players know the work they need to put in over the winter if they are to have any chance of staying up. And again, every effort needs to be made to get players back!
    Hopefully a big crowd next week. It’s been an excellent season regardless of the last two results.

Kick outs were dreadful against Dublin & Donegal and off the top of my head I can think of 2 he gave away today and a third one that almost went out only for inches by Keoghan keeping it in when it was not necessary to go that wide.

Would love to see Wallace rediscover his form from 2013 and come back in. What’s his story? Himself and Lenihan inside with COS playing off them could be decent. If Rooney could come back in and play a full league campaign and get up to speed he’d be a great option in the middle of the park!

Anyway, excellent season as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

We're not as fit or conditioned as other teams at this level, it's something that doesn't come in one year. I'm really frustrated with today as I believe we didn't play as well as last week and left it behind us today as Mayo weren't great. They did seem to be able to win frees a lot handier than us too. I don't believe Colgan is a bad keeper but we need to work on the kick out strategy as a whole. It's costing us too dearly, at least 2-2 came from them today. You can blame Colgan but if lads don't move or make space he can't hit them safely.

Advertisement