Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Should've won by a bit more I thought, went a couple of long spells without scores and some of the passing and shooting wasn't great at all. Still, it's all about the win and getting into the Super 8. As has been said it's now three games against good opposition on top of division 1 next year. It's bound to bring the team on.

Player wise I thought Ethan Devine was excellent, Donal Keogan was too but it's rare when he isn't. Mickey Newman was brilliant to,I hope the injury isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Extra games and exposure to Division 1 can only improve your team.

Yep great preparation for div.1, i sort of view the games as a free shot, sure, be as competitive as we can and see what happens, but whatever the outcome, the players should'nt forget the progression this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Yep great preparation for div.1, i sort of view the games as a free shot, sure, be as competitive as we can and see what happens, but whatever the outcome, the players should'nt forget how far they've progressed this year.

I think we'll beat Mayo and it'll come down to Kerfy on Navan. Cant see us getting anything in Donegal

risteard7 wrote: »
    I think we'll beat Mayo and it'll come down to Kerfy on Navan. Cant see us getting anything in Donegal

Lets not get carried away now, while i dont think kerry or mayo are as good as people think, like cork could have beat kerry and armagh could have beat mayo, we're a div.2 team up against seasoned div.1 teams, they are still on another level to what we have faced this year

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Lets not get carried away now, while i dont think kerry or mayo are as good as people think, like cork could have beat kerry and armagh could have beat mayo, we're a div.2 team up against seasoned div.1 teams, they are still on another level to what we have faced this year

Not getting Carried away, just being positive. I really think we'll up our game & the Dublin game is a distant memory now, thank God. I really think Mayo are beatable, Galway are shocking under Walsh, so I wouldn't read anything into that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭enricoh

Up until this year we were losing all the tight matches, a good habit to be getting into.
    I dont see what biggy n thomas o reilly contribute at all, at least ben Brennan was hungry for ball when he came on n got a badly needed point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

risteard7 wrote: »

I actually think we could beat Mayo at home. We are very unfortunate that that's the Croke Park game. I can see a drubbing against them there. Donegal are beatable but I can't see anything more than 2pts across the 3 games to be honest. But just being in the Super 8s is huge. I cannot fathom people's opinions of "no point being in the Super 8s if we're gonna lost all the games" - that's not the point at all. More gametime, against better opposition, in crunch matches, will help this team enormously.

I like this Meath team. Extremely hard working. The back 6 is excellent. Questions marks over the keeper and who our best midfield parings are, but overall, I think it's a great squad with potential to shine in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

enricoh wrote: »
    Up until this year we were losing all the tight matches, a good habit to be getting into.
    I dont see what biggy n thomas o reilly contribute at all, at least ben Brennan was hungry for ball when he came on n got a badly needed point.

Thomas o Reilly was v poor.
    Kicked a free wide
    Kicked next one into goalie's hands.
    Pretty sure he was subbed after only being on the field 10 mins.

Wouldn't be as down on biggie. He tracked back well and took few good balls out of defence. Awful lucky not to get a black card.

It is great to win a close one. Really shouldnt have been close. After the goal scored one or two points, then long barren spell. Lot of bad passing and running into defenders at that stage, also O Reilly's 2 bad shots. Maybe harnan should have tapped over, but going for goal was prob right option. Could have had them buried. Clare were equally poor at that stage and kick at least one bad wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

And next year will be stronger by chance we should have a group of players returning from injury college or work abroad.
    These players like Donal lenihan, Ronan Jones, Eamon Wallace, Joey Wallace , Paddy Kennelly, Alan Forde , Ruari O Coilean and Niall kane.
    And I can see a few from our under 20 team being called up next year eg Cian McBride, Matthew Costello and luke Mitchell. And allot of players are peakinh next year and the year after Harnan J McEntee kavin are 24 , Sullivan S McEntee Gallagher 25 , Ryan 21 , Kane 22 , McGill McMahon 26 and Conlon Campion Walsh all 20. The age profile of the team is good.
    Conlon was great today. Watch out for Walsh he is only 19 but the best full forward in the county 6 ft 2 and atleticism with pace. I would play him full forward v Donegal with Conlon and Newman in the corner. Hopefully he will be ok for next day his injury looked bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The sense of relief. Stress has now been banished until next year. I can now enjoy the rest of the championship. No pressure and a bumper fixture vs kerry in navan and Mayo in Croker. Perfect prep for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

RoyalCelt wrote:
    The sense of relief. Stress has now been banished until next year. I can now enjoy the rest of the championship. No pressure and a bumper fixture vs kerry in navan and Mayo in Croker. Perfect prep for next year.

This could be a very good super 8's

There's the top 5, and then a good bunch in the other 3.

For some reason the competition seems much better this year. That was a really big win for a meath supporter today, getting three more days out was in the mix and imo it's a great reward.

The only thing is that with the record of beaten provincial finalist at this stage, it's nearly a disadvantage getting to and losing a final, that adds to the win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

As a Kerry man currently living in Ashbourne I am delighted Meath got over Clare for the purely selfish reason that I only have to go to Navan, not Ennis. Should be a cracking game up there hopefully but I do think Kerry should be looking to win that game at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Bit of a headache now for the Meath fixture makers with no club football being played until the 10th of August at the earliest. Even in the shorter term there are a few hurling league finals down for next Sunday during the Donegal match. Wonder will they be shifted to the Saturday or just postponed till November....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Well done today lads , back where ye belong at long last in the elite company of the super 8s ,

today was far from pretty but for both teams it was all about winning at all costs . i reckon ye will hold your own against donegal ,mayo and kerry
    ye probably have one of the best defenses in the county , mcgill and lavin are outstanding and have been all year dublin included , donal keogan was top class today and ye have james mcintee to come back who i regard as yer best wing back

the problem for meath is the forwards , newman is one of the best in the country but without him ye are in trouble , today after his injury meath only scored 6 points in 37 minutes played , conlon is a fine forward too but only really looks effective on the loop he is too light for the ball to be played into him especially if doubled

meath will offer way more to the super 8s then we would , i reckon donegal will be tough , but the other two games will be winable for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’m quietly confident Meath will have a say on the outcome of that Super 8 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Bit of a headache now for the Meath fixture makers with no club football being played until the 10th of August at the earliest. Even in the shorter term there are a few hurling league finals down for next Sunday during the Donegal match. Wonder will they be shifted to the Saturday or just postponed till November....

The Junior game being refixed to next week is causing hassle too. I think there were league finals planned for next Saturday

Club games were down for July 27/28th originally weren't they, what's on that weekend now?

2/3 hour drive for Meath fans on Sunday and not much expectations of a win. Realistically how many will travel? 1-2k?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

RoyalCelt wrote:
    2/3 hour drive for Meath fans on Sunday and not much expectations of a win. Realistically how many will travel? 1-2k?

What's the big draw for you guys?

Kerry in Navan?
    I think it might be an ok game tomorrow TBH

Good lord, some score in the Junior game, losing by a pt after ET. 7-17 to 5-22.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    What's the big draw for you guys?

Kerry in Navan?

As a Kerry man living in Ashbourne I am very much looking forward to a handy spin to see the Meath match but I fear it will be a dead rubber for both teams after 2 defeats each. The only thing to play for will be neither team wanting 3 losses and 0 points which means feck all in the grand scheme of things.

dobman88 wrote: »
    As a Kerry man living in Ashbourne I am very much looking forward to a handy spin to see the Meath match but I fear it will be a dead rubber for both teams after 2 defeats each. The only thing to play for will be neither team wanting 3 losses and 0 points which means feck all in the grand scheme of things.

Jeez, that's massive oversight for Kerry. They're favorites vs. Mayo, who are not going well. Donegal will be close but I still fancy Kerry to win. To expect two defeats is a bit crazy, no?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Jeez, that's massive oversight for Kerry. They're favorites vs. Mayo, who are not going well. Donegal will be close but I still fancy Kerry to win. To expect two defeats is a bit crazy, no?

I don't want to derail the Meath thread too much with Kerry talk but they're still too light. Mayo will have their number all over the pitch imo as they have done twice already this year, 1 in Tralee, 1 in Croker. Major major problems from 1-9 with Kerry and as good as Clifford is we cant expect him to do enough to win games by himself.

I think Donegal will top the group and reach the final. They seem to have the right mix of youth and experience.

The Munster final showed how poor Kerry are. A bang average cork team who I expect to see well beaten today almost turned them over.

Kerry are a long way off being competitive again and I think Mayo and Donegal will have far too much for them. Will happily be wrong about all that but its just how I see it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I don't want to derail the Meath thread too much with Kerry talk but they're still too light. Mayo will have their number all over the pitch imo as they have done twice already this year, 1 in Tralee, 1 in Croker. Major major problems from 1-9 with Kerry and as good as Clifford is we cant expect him to do enough to win games by himself.

I think Donegal will top the group and reach the final. They seem to have the right mix of youth and experience.

The Munster final showed how poor Kerry are. A bang average cork team who I expect to see well beaten today almost turned them over.

Kerry are a long way off being competitive again and I think Mayo and Donegal will have far too much for them. Will happily be wrong about all that but its just how I see it.

Interesting to hear, cheers for the in depth reply! I'll be looking forward to seeing Kerry in PT in a few weeks time, I think it'll be a great game either way!

Mayo, Kerry and Donegal are very close to each other. The margins are tight. It wouldn't surprise me if any of them lost twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭enricoh

I can only see mayo or donegal as the counties that'd give the dubs a good rattle.
    I know its wrong but id take us losing the first two n beating kerry to make it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

GK is a serious weakness in this team. Kick outs are dreadful. Was the same against Dublin.

Another game of what might have been, lots of missed chances getting punished by donegal scores from our rubbish kickouts, will need to check when i get home and watch it but i counted 7 or 8 points from colgans kickouts getting turned over, their goal was avoidable to, McGill looked to be ahead of McBrearty and missed the ball, on to croke park next week

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Its a team wide thing, they have very little composure. Half forward line need lots of work. Colgan very very poor and kick out plays very limited.

Positives though young team, improving all the time, exciting future but they need to be way more composed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Colgan is a good shot stopper but the kick out is more important in today’s game and we need a change there.
    Again experience won it for donegal, they just know how to win a match.
    Good performance score line doesn’t reflect the effect put in. We can learn a lot from today and bring it to division 1 next year.

Advertisement