Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Results from the last few days:
    SHC
    Longwood 1-20 Killyon 3-13
    Trim 3-23 Kilmessan 3-12
    Ratoath 1-21 Dunboyne 3-14

IHC
    Wolfe Tones 3-18 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-12
    Kildalkey 6-22 Kilmessan 0-3
    Clann na nGael 1-21 Dunderry 1-14
    Rathmolyon 3-12 Kilskyre/Moylagh 3-10
    Drumree 2-14 Gaeil Colmcille 0-12

Always baffles me how poor Donaghmore/Ashbourne are at hurling given the sheer number of players that they have to pick from. I know they've a great player in O'Mealoid but they seem to be constantly hovering around the lower end of the IHC, staying up with the odd win here and there against second teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Ten years ago Ashbourne's 2nd team won the Junior 2 hurling championship. This year their first team didn't win a single match in division 4A of the league and will be down in the 5th division next year.

Do they even have an underage setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

their own club does not want a hurling team so what hope have they got?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Results from the last few days:
    SHC
    Longwood 1-20 Killyon 3-13
    Trim 3-23 Kilmessan 3-12
    Ratoath 1-21 Dunboyne 3-14

IHC
    Wolfe Tones 3-18 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-12
    Kildalkey 6-22 Kilmessan 0-3
    Clann na nGael 1-21 Dunderry 1-14
    Rathmolyon 3-12 Kilskyre/Moylagh 3-10
    Drumree 2-14 Gaeil Colmcille 0-12

Always baffles me how poor Donaghmore/Ashbourne are at hurling given the sheer number of players that they have to pick from. I know they've a great player in O'Mealoid but they seem to be constantly hovering around the lower end of the IHC, staying up with the odd win here and there against second teams.

Is O'Mealoid the guy who runs the video side of the Meath GAA app? He also posts Meath GAA analysis both Hurling & Football on a Youtube channel called "Colm O Mealoid"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well we got Clare, even though they're on a winning run, and its gonna be very tough, i think we should have enough to get past them, neutral venue to, semple stadium possibly

• Advertisement

Wonder if we'll get put as a double header with the Laois-Dublin hurling game in Portlaoise next Saturday.

Or a double header with Cork-Laois in Thurles.

Feels weird not getting Tyrone.
    We have no excuses if we don't make the super 8s now. If we do, we'd have dates with Donegal in Ballybofey, Kerry in Navan and Galway/Mayo in Croker.
    Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Ten years ago Ashbourne's 2nd team won the Junior 2 hurling championship. This year their first team didn't win a single match in division 4A of the league and will be down in the 5th division next year.

Do they even have an underage setup?

When you compare it to Ratoath it's mad alright. I genuinely can't get my head around how Ratoath have the bodies to be at the top end in both football and hurling, especially with lads taken for the county teams, but anyway.

Decent draw that for the footballers, I'm of the belief the performance in Croker wasn't as bad as people are making out, so this is a savage chance to get in the Super 8s. I'm sure Clare are happy with the draw as well, but we should have the ability to beat them. I think getting into the Super 8s will be key to surviving in Division 1 next year too, so this is a massive game this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea when you think about it, the only 2 teams to really beat us so far this year is Dublin and Donegal, the 2 favourites for Sam so not all doom and gloom. I think Clare will be a tricky little game but if we can stick it out the Super 8s will be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

So its confirmed, Meath v Clare in Portlaoise on Sunday at 2pm followed by the Hurling, Dublin v Laois. Im good with that!

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »
    So its confirmed, Meath v Clare in Portlaoise on Sunday at 2pm followed by the Hurling, Dublin v Laois. Im good with that!

Yeah seen that mentioned earlier in the clare thread, looking forward to it, hopefully the forwards bring their shooting boots with them

Happy enough with that. I think the two round 4 qualifiers we've won (Galway and Limerick) were in Portlaoise. I'd be interested to see how the forwards line out. Can't see there being no changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Happy enough with that. I think the two round 4 qualifiers we've won (Galway and Limerick) were in Portlaoise. I'd be interested to see how the forwards line out. Can't see there being no changes.

How did Ben Brennan do against Dublin? He was the weak point throughout the League for me at the games in Tailteann that I attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Great draw for Meath but also Clare. Time for us to finally get out of the qualifiers for the first time in 10 years.

Spotted these very considerate hurling championship fixtures:
    Friday July 5th
    SHC
    Ratoath v Kildalkey, Pairc Tailteann, 7:45pm

JHC
    Ratoath v Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin, 7:45pm

J2HC
    Ratoath v Wolfe Tones, Ratoath, 7:45pm

Thanks County Board :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Cavan_King wrote: »
    How did Ben Brennan do against Dublin? He was the weak point throughout the League for me at the games in Tailteann that I attended.

I agree, I can't see how being 5'10, not having lot of pace, being hot and cold on frees(esp when Newman is available) and being an in-game disciplinary liability is adding much.
    All that I hear about him is that he's hard working, but this applies to every member of that squad now.
    That being said,
    I'd love to see him prove me wrong on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i hope we bring a huge crowd to portlaoise sunday i think we will , hopefully a big crowd up behind the town goals.

U20s scraped by Offaly 1-12 to 12 points last night. They'll play Laois in the semi final.

U20 hurlers get a walkover from Louth. Not surprising as Meath would probably beat them by 40 points+

Kildare up next.

Are tickets selling out? None sold online at the minute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭rpurfield

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Are tickets selling out? None sold online at the minute...

I looked there myself, they're still available in Centra or Supervalu. Jacksie Kiernans and Dunganny have them too. I think with tickets.ie in some grounds they don't do the PDF tickets so they stop selling them Wednesday evening because they need to post them out to you

rpurfield wrote: »
    I looked there myself, they're still available in Centra or Supervalu. Jacksie Kiernans and Dunganny have them too. I think with tickets.ie in some grounds they don't do the PDF tickets so they stop selling them Wednesday evening because they need to post them out to you
    That makes sense. I wouldn't have thought this would be a sellout out even with laois and Dublin hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Team named: as far as I can see two changes, Harnan and Gavin McCoy in for Ronan Ryan and James McEntee, both through injuries it seems.
    Would expect Harnan to follow Gary Brennan if he drifts into the half forward line but an awful shame losing James. Didn't have a great game the last day out going forward but he is a potent weapon for us usually. Wonder will there be more changes before throw in. I prefer Biggie as an impact sub these days I feel, I would hate to be a defender seeing him coming on with 20 to go. But if he had his shooting boots the last day he could have had 4 points, and he usually does to be fair so I expect him to prove any doubters wrong on Sunday, along with the rest of the boys.

Best of luck to the Meath team, hoping for a big performance which I think we will get and that should get us across the line.

I dont believe the performance last day warranted the criticism they recieved, but wouldnt be surprised to see a couple of changes before throw in, hopefully Newman plays closer to goal this week, could free up space for Conlon

If Keogan doesn't get at least nominated for an All Star it'll be a travesty.

Well i think that was alot closer then it should have been, we didnt exactly play great football ourselves, but i taught we gave away a good few scores through mistakes, poor kick outs and miss placed passes, their goal was avoidable as well, Keoghan, Harnan, McGill and Conlon in flashes were our best players by far.

Just had a look in the football thread, alot of posters there delighted to see us win and make it to the super 8's, lol, personally i think its been a great year no matter how the results go, promotion to div.1, a leinster final, and in the super 8's, could'nt ask for more then that back in january

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Yes has been a good year for Meath regardless of what happens in the last 8

Looking at the last 8 games however Donegal away a very tough start for Meath and will be tougher if Newman is out. Mayo in Croke Park is a type of game you could see Mayo leading by 10 points with 10 minutes to play and only end up winning by 3. Kerry in Navan depends on how the other results go.

These 3 games and 7 in Div 1 next year is the type of exposure that Meath need in order to improve, for two long they have been down in Div 2 and not knowing if they are coming or going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

With Meaths tradition they are only where they should be. Now back in Div 1 the aim should be to maintain that. As for this year they are up against Mayo Donegal Kerry.
    With a bit of confidence back and tighten up the defence they wont be an easy touch

Well i think that was alot closer then it should have been, we didnt exactly play great football ourselves, but i taught we gave away a good few scores through mistakes, poor kick outs and miss placed passes, their goal was avoidable as well, Keoghan, Harnan, McGill and Conlon in flashes were our best players by far.

Just had a look in the football thread, alot of posters there delighted to see us win and make it to the super 8's, lol, personally i think its been a great year no matter how the results go, promotion to div.1, a leinster final, and in the super 8's, could'nt ask for more then that back in january
    I think a lot of people had it banked that Clare were going to cause an upset and aren't happy that they didn't.
    Our age old problem of not putting teams away was on show again today. We got 4 points ahead shortly after Newman's goal and that was when we should have put the game to bed. But we must have gone the next 15 minutes without scoring and gradually let Clare back into it and could have lost it towards the end. Think we did enough to deserve the win.

People already proclaiming that we'll be thumped in every game. That may be true, but 10 years ago we scraped by a Munster team (Limerick) in round 4 and everyone was stating that Mayo would annihilate us in the quarter final. Mayo fans were already saying that they were looking for to get revenge on us for 1996. We played them off the park.

Was such a massive win! Was not pretty but, like you said, we've now secured promotion and reached the super 8s. Anything more is a bonus. Maybe we can get a bit of luck in Ballybofey next week, for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I think a lot of people had it banked that Clare were going to cause an upset and aren't happy that they didn't.
    Our age old problem of not putting teams away was on show again today. We got 4 points ahead shortly after Newman's goal and that was when we should have put the game to bed. But we must have gone the next 15 minutes without scoring and gradually let Clare back into it and could have lost it towards the end. Think we did enough to deserve the win.

People already proclaiming that we'll be thumped in every game. That may be true, but 10 years ago we scraped by a Munster team (Limerick) in round 4 and everyone was stating that Mayo would annihilate us in the quarter final. Mayo fans were already saying that they were looking for to get revenge on us for 1996. We played them off the park.

Was such a massive win! Was not pretty but, like you said, we've now secured promotion and reached the super 8s. Anything more is a bonus. Maybe we can get a bit of luck in Ballybofey next week, for once.

No matter what happens going forward, its been a super year for Meath, and that's coming from a neutral. I won't make the trip to Donegal next week but I'm sure I'll be at the other two games so hopefully they're entertaining.

Extra games and exposure to Division 1 can only improve your team.

Advertisement