Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah saw that. Not sure how they've managed to rank group B though.

Its (not very clearly) explained in the 4th photo. Seems to be a very roundabout way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I posted this in June 2017, and as far as I'm aware this is the first time it has come into play:
    I noticed though that we seem to have a unique tiebreaker here for when 3 teams finish level on points. It seems to be some sort of three way head to head.

Can't say I've ever seen this system anywhere, generally it's just score difference. In theory it means that if 3 teams finish level on points, one could go through despite having a vastly inferior score difference to the other 2. It vaguely resembles the mini league you'd see in a tiebreaker in international soccer (or La Liga), but instead of a table it's just "who beat who".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Yeah bit of a weird way of doing thighs. So Dunshaughlin were basically qualified regardless and Skryne come second despite having the worst score difference.
    Not that I'm complaining. I'd prefer Skryne to Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

What would have happened if 5 teams had finished level on points in that group? Assuming Seneschalstown had beaten Kells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What would have happened if 5 teams had finished level on points in that group? Assuming Seneschalstown had beaten Kells
    Would just have gone down to score difference.

It's a strangely convoluted and specific rule. If I were to guess I'd say it was proposed by a club who felt hard done by after they were in a 3 way tie and lost out on score difference despite beating the other 2 teams.

• Advertisement

OK so supposedly if the three tied teams have 1 win and 1 loss, it goes to score difference which is why Summerhill are top of group B.

So here are the knockout draws for all the football championships:

SFC
    Preliminary Quarter Final
    Curraha v Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Quarter Finals
    Curraha/Don-Ash v Gaeil Colmcille
    Summerhill v Na Fianna
    Simonstown Gaels v Dunshaughlin
    Ratoath v Skryne

IFC
    Ballinabrackey v Walterstown

Quarter Finals
    Ballinabrackey/Walterstown v Nobber
    Trim v Duleek/Bellewstown
    Dunderry v Oldcastle
    Meath Hill v Castletown

JFC
    St. Vincent's v Seneschalstown

Quarter Finals
    St. Vincent's/Seneschalstown v Ballivor
    Dunsany v Gaeil Colmcille
    Summerhill v Moylagh
    Clann na nGael v St. Ultans

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Was at the Dunshaughlin/Skryne game yesterday. It was fairly rough at times. One stage Paddy O'Rourke and 2 Dunshaughlin lads were wrestling each other and got caught up in the goal netting. In fairness to Paddy, he caused a bit of panic all day and kick a few points. Dunshaughlin struggled with the physicality all day. They missed a couple of handy goal chances including hitting the post inside the first 2-3 minutes from point-blank range. Both of Skyrnes goals were scrappy enough but came at key junctures. They could play each other 10 times and you get a rainbow of results and scores.

Mad results again this weekend. You could bet 7/1 the field each of the 8 remaining sides almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Ballivor will surely walk junior and rattle intermediate next year?

SHC Quarter Finals
    Trim 0-17 Ratoath 1-13
    Longwood 2-15 Na Fianna 2-8

IHC Quarter Finals
    Drumree 1-13 Kilskyre/Moylagh 1-6
    Gaeil Colmcille 0-14 Rathmolyon 1-9

Wasn't at the Ratoath game, but going by the texts it was a toss up between our shocking finishing of goal chances and the referee that cost us. Trim play Kiltale and Longwood play Kildalkey in the semi finals. Cannot see anything but 6 in a row for Kiltale.
    Kells play Athboy and Dunderry play Drumree in the Intermediate semis.

Ladies lost the intermediate final for the second year running, losing to Tipperary 2-16 to 1-14. Better entertainment than the senior final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Did anyone else see or hear the news of Ashbourne Credit Union thinking the border has moved. Meath captain Bryan Menton has called them out for saying Sam is coming home and well done to our own Dean Rock.
    I live in Ashbourne myself and my next door neighbour who is a Dub was talking to me about it and even he said it was an embarassing and stupid thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Iput this on another thread so its Meath related so I will put it here also.

But in the long term there are some good signs for Meath and kildare. It simple as this if Meath and kildare can tap into population growth in the county , it could be a positive gamechanger. But there is no gurantee as examples above like Wicklow, Antrim , Limerick , Dublin 1930 to 2010 have shown.

1 Meath and kildare have now this year recieved increased funding and coachs and so have louth and Wicklow. Meath had 3 full time coachs , kildare had 4. Dublin had 70 plus since mid 00s. Meath ans kildare both have 15 full.time coachs and 22 coachs in total each from this year. Yes it still behind Dublin. But it still 5 times more then before. And they were only introduced this year after both counties have had sucess. Also 4 counties have recieved increased finding circa 300000 annually. Again this can only be a positive. The people in charge of these programmes believe it will take 5 or 6 years before it impacts senior team.

2 The second reasons is population explosion in both counties. It doesnt guratees nothing.
    For example look at Wicklow , big population yet no provicial title , look at Antrim big population yet no sucess since 1940s. look at limerick big population no Munster title since 1890s in football and 2 hurling All-Irelands in 80 years , look at kildare big population and no sucess from 1930s to 1990 and finally look at Dublin from 1940s to 2010 Dublin underachieved with huge population. Population gurantees nothing.

Also growth in both counties is Dubs who support and want kids to play for Dublin or have no interest in gaa. 70% of people who live in Meath are not from Meath , 20% of people in live in Cork or Donegal are not from Donegal.

However if Meath and kildare can tap into population growth this could be massive. Dublin tapping into a new denographic has being one of keys to Dublins current sucess. St Vincents and other clubs traditional Dublin clubs r still strong but the Kilmacud Crokes ballyboden and Cualas have brought Dublin to a new level. 25 years ago there was little gaa in south side Dublin suburbia. There has been a massive growth of gaa in middle class gaelgoir Dublins south side suburbs recently. This has brought a whole new demographic to Dublin gaa. Basically the parents of so many of these footballers are from the country. So many from kerry or Donegal. They came up to Dublin became civil servants etc and brought a love of gaa and passed it to their kids. Their kids grew up and many of them became Dublins current great generation. The darling of the hill was Jimmy Keaveny from Marino in 70s Charlie Redmond from Finglas in 90s and now its Con Callaghan from Dalkey, Bonos parish who is currently hero of the hill. This has been one of the reasons for Dublins sucess , the explosion of popularity of gaa in Dublins southside suburbs.

This is where Meath and kildare need to tap into. Both need to keep football alive in the heartlands of the county eg kildare mid part and south. Meath in Northern villages and traditional clubs like Skyrne. But both need to tap into new suburbs in both counties eg Meath south east Rataoth Ashbourne Dunshaughlin and kildare eg Maynooth leixlip. Families who move to the area who support Dublin will have no interest in Meath or kildare. But familes who move to the area who have no interest in gaa or little , their children who get involved in gaa they could be next future stars for Meath and kildare. Or families who have country parents who have moved to Meath recently , there children could be source of new players for Meath. Conor McGill family come from Sligo and Byran McMahons family come from Clare. Both are from Rataoth, where there has been a massive population explosion in this area.

The population growth in both counties is so large that the numbers could be there to lead to sucess. Kildare and Meath are following the Dublin blueprint on the ground and coachs are going into populated areas to promote gaa. It worked in Dublin and Dublin had unprecedented sucess.

If Meath and kildare tap into this new demographic eg suburbs in north kildare or south east Meath sucessfully this potentially could lead to huge positives and benefits and yes sucess for both counties. Maybe even unprecedented sucess for both counties. If eitheir county doesn't tap into or is unable it will probaly mean that those counties will not be sucessful.

Meath had a run of 80 years of sucess. We look like we could be the new Cavan. Something extraordinary wud need to happen to stop this. Meaths population doubling in 10 years going from 100000 to 200000 in 15 years going from smaller population then Mayo, going from rural county to county with has in parts become suburbia , that is an extraordinary demographic change and could be the factor that cud kickstart Meath.

When a county has decades sucess when stops it seem to stop for decades eg Wexford after 1918 , kildare after1930s , Cavan and Mayo after 1950s. Cavan had no underage sucess for decades until recently. And Cavans population declined after 1950s. Meaths has exploded in last 15 years. It has had no benefit whatsoever to football in the county in last 15 years . However if it is tapped into it could be pivotal.

Meaths football can be divided into two eras demographically
    1 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s. It was thought that west of Ireland families brought love of gaa to Meath. This is wrong. Movement to Meath was in 30s 40s and 50s when Meath had sucess. So many of Meaths players in first successful Meath teams came from old Meaths families in the area for generations. It was the next generation that was west of Ireland parents.

2 Meath teams of 1970s 1980s and 1990s these are players many of the players had parents from the west eg O Rourke born in leitrim , Coyle family ftom Donegal, O Malley family from Mayo , Mark Reilly family like kerry. And many more. The current Dublin team and Meath of 80s and 90s many of their parents came from.the west and brought a love of gaa from the west. The Meath team of 80s and 90s and current Dublin team are examples of how migration from western seaboard, massively helped benefit a counties fortunes.

3 The next phase of Meath football could it be like Dublin current sucess which has been built in new area, Dublins south suburbs . Could suburbs in Meath south east kickstart and be a strong foundation for future Meath sucess. That could be the extraordinary factor that stops Meath becoming the new Cavan after 1950s..Time will tell. I could be wrong I could be right who knows. But I believe fhere is a massive new population in Meath and in kildare and if it is tapped into it can only be a positive in the future. Time will tell.

Did anyone else see or hear the news of Ashbourne Credit Union thinking the border has moved. Meath captain Bryan Menton has called them out for saying Sam is coming home and well done to our own Dean Rock.
    I live in Ashbourne myself and my next door neighbour who is a Dub was talking to me about it and even he said it was an embarassing and stupid thing to say.
    Who on earth thought that was a good idea? Ashbourne gets enough crap about basically being Dublin without this. Fair play to Menton for publicly calling them out on it.

Who on earth thought that was a good idea? Ashbourne gets enough crap about basically being Dublin without this. Fair play to Menton for publicly calling them out on it.

Colm O Mealoid tweeted this morning to say "local businesses" would congratulate him and the lads for winning the Christy ring, any day now he said lol. Embarrassing stuff from the CU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

dobman88 wrote: »
    Colm O Mealoid tweeted this morning to say "local businesses" would congratulate him and the lads for winning the Christy ring, any day now he said lol. Embarrassing stuff from the CU

You could've lived with it if they'd done that and also mentioned the Meath ladies, the captain of which comes from Ashbourne as well. I've seen people saying whoever runs the Credit Union social media was deleting any comments giving out about them doing it, so someone obviously done it as a wind up. Unprofessional to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Terrible press for the Credit Union.

Not sure why you say someone did it as a wind up, not sure how that works.

Dean Rock is not from Ashbourne, so really don't know where they are going with that.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Terrible press for the Credit Union.

Not sure why you say someone did it as a wind up, not sure how that works.

Dean Rock is not from Ashbourne, so really don't know where they are going with that.
    He was at some event there a number of years ago so they're trying to coast on it. If I was a member I'd be taking my savings out of there pronto.

He was at some event there a number of years ago so they're trying to coast on it. If I was a member I'd be taking my savings out of there pronto.

Didn't Barney Rock live in Ashbourne for a while? Was a member of the golf club for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Didn't Barney Rock live in Ashbourne for a while? Was a member of the golf club for a while.

Not sure, but you see him around Ashbourne alright. Charlie Redmond lives local also and both are absolute gents.
    Ashbourne does have a big Dublin population and genuine GAA fans can shout till their lungs burst for their home county if they want to but this the town's local community credit union, so however posted it got it so wrong.
    Wonder have the staff experienced much of a backlash in the last couple of days?

Not sure, but you see him around Ashbourne alright. Charlie Redmond lives local also and both are absolute gents.
    Ashbourne does have a big Dublin population and genuine GAA fans can shout till their lungs burst for their home county if they want to but this the town's local community credit union, so however posted it got it so wrong.
    Wonder have the staff experienced much of a backlash in the last couple of days?

To be honest - I think at this point the media and social media backlash is waaayyyyy out of proportion to what actually happened.

Its not that big a deal to be honest, look at it in context - it could be some staff member that doesnt know that much about GAA but does know Dean Rock as a customer or whatever. And thats understandable.

And now its a national news story?

Bryan Menton could easily have gone in and had a quiet word - as Meath captain - rather that going public with it. And I'm not blaming him either, but its just the nature of social media that these things can take on a life way beyond what they should.

To be honest - I think at this point the media and social media backlash is waaayyyyy out of proportion to what actually happened.

Its not that big a deal to be honest, look at it in context - it could be some staff member that doesnt know that much about GAA but does know Dean Rock as a customer or whatever. And thats understandable.

And now its a national news story?

Bryan Menton could easily have gone in and had a quiet word - as Meath captain - rather that going public with it. And I'm not blaming him either, but its just the nature of social media that these things can take on a life way beyond what they should.

They were deleting anti Dublin/pro Meath comments and anyone that reminded them what county they're in. They know what they're doing and it's not very fair on genuine GAA fans, regardless of how many dubs live in Ashbourne, it's in Meath

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    They were deleting anti Dublin/pro Meath comments and anyone that reminded them what county they're in. They know what they're doing and it's not very fair on genuine GAA fans, regardless of how many dubs live in Ashbourne, it's in Meath

What do you mean - "they know what they're doing" - that Ashbourne Credit Union has an agenda against Meath GAA? If not, then what do you mean.

They've taken the whole post down, not just the comments.

They made a mistake, so what......move on.

What do you want here - a public apology? Come on, there is more going on in the world.

The post was up for days. And for most of the time it was up, any posts criticizing them for it were quickly removed while posts basically insulting Meath were left up. Menton was 100% right to call them out publicly.
    I know for a fact that Meath fans living in the likes of Ashbourne, Ratoath, Dunboyne, Kilbride etc. (i.e. straddling the border with Dublin) are extremely protective of their "Meathness" in the face of huge numbers of Dublin people moving in.

And given that they've consistently put up posts wishing the Dublin team luck during the year (and, as far as I know, hardly anything about the Meath team), I highly doubt it was a mistake.

What do you mean - "they know what they're doing" - that Ashbourne Credit Union has an agenda against Meath GAA? If not, then what do you mean.

What do you want here - a public apology? Come on, there is more going on in the world.

When I said they know what they're doing, it was in response to your saying maybe the person posting didnt know much about GAA. They definitely did know as they deleted comments and left the post up for a while before deleting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Based on what I've read Menton was spot on in calling out silly behaviour by a grown adult who should have some degree of cop on. Its grown legs and became a bigger story than it needed to be but he can't be blamed for that.

Tombo2001 wrote:

Tombo2001 wrote:

Tombo2001 wrote:

Tombo2001 wrote:

Thats fair enough. But in Meath this is a touchy subject. Imagine lets say Templeogue had massive influx of Meath people. And Meath win 5 in a row All Irelands and Dublin were struggling and the local Dublin credit union said well done and congratulated a Meath player winning Sam and ignored that a Templeogue female player captaining a Dublin team in the All Ireland final on the same weekend. Do u think the locals in Templeogue, the true blue Dublin gaa supporters would welcome this development?.

GAA is a passionate sport. And for Meath gaa people in Ashbourne and Rataoth and Dunshaughlin who get labelled Dubs and are labelled Dublins team what happenned with the carry on by local credit union is red flag to bull. I dont think the credit union could have behaved worse in the eyes of Ashbourne/ Meath gaa people. Ur a Dubs ur not going to understand. But this is an emotive issue in Meath. But this has always been part of Meath footballer. Rivals surrounding the county , rivals within the county.

There serious disquiet agmost the Local Meath gaa people and new Dublin gaa people in the area currently.. This has historical context. This happened before and was huge benefit for Meath football. If Meath football can tap into population growth in the county going from a rural 100000 population smaller then Donegal or Mayo in late 90s to 200000 rural / suburbs population now I think it could be a huge benefit to Meath and kildare and could even herald in another golden age of Meath football.

The land of Meath has always being prized and always being fought for. Meath has some of best land in western Europe..In ancient times the land of Meath was fought over for military reasons eg high king of Ireland. In the last century the land of Meath was fought over for agricultural reasons . In this new millennium the land of Meath is being fought over for residential reasons. Once people built fortresses in Meath , then reared cattle Meath now people want to rear families..Meath land has always being prized. This has created an us versus them mentality in the county.

Meath football has always had two things part of it physhe eg fighting never say warrior qualities and siege mentality everyone against us. This come from two areas

1 The enemies on the border. Wherver u r in the country u have rival on ur doorstep. Who hates u and see. u as that Meath so and so. Ur not a kildare or Cavan man, ur a Meath man. No football county has so many rivals on it border eg kildare Dublin Offaly Westmeath Louth Cavan and Monaghan. Battles with the local rivals have made Meath teams battle harden when they came out of the provience . And also gave Meath people a strong identity. Im not a Cavan man or a louth man, I am a Meath man

2 The Enemy Within
    The tension now in the county are almost a mirror image of tensions that happened 50 or 60 years ago in Meath. After 1930s and 1940s De Valera decided to bring Fianna Fail supporters and small farming families to Meath from kerry Clare Galway Mayo Donegal eg western sea board. They were given houses and land in rural Meath. It was called the land Commission

When these blowins or migrats ( which they were called ) came to Meath there was massive tension in Meath beteeen locals and the migrats. Sheds and barns were burnt down , francas and fights broke out agmost the adult and kids from both sides would meet after school and have fight with branchs and be divided into local gangs of Meath families and new migrats families.

There was even a gaelteacht in the county with new migrats. Terms like that shower in the reservation was commonly said at the time. After 20 or 30 years these families rear their children and some of their children played in great Meath teams of 80s and 90s. Colm.O Rourke was born in leitrim, Robbie O Malley had Mayo background , Mark Reilly Kerry background. They became more Meath then the locals. The people from the west brought a love of gaelic football and teams of 80s and 90s had a mix of old Meath families eg Boylan, Stafford , Giles and new west of Ireland families eg O Rourke Coyle.

However the tensions never really went away. I once read a PHD on the land Commission on Meath. And the hatred of elders farmers who moved to Meath from west when they were usually in primary school and not older ten , their hatred towards Meath football team was unreal. I knew at least 5 old farmers growing up from Donegal, Clare , Galway , and 2 from kerry . They all moved to Meath when they were 10. They became farmers and reared a family in Meath. Yet they all despised the Meath football team. There was some in the parish who came from the west who their children who born in Meath and supported Meath , but their was others who came from the west and their children , even though born in Meath supported kerry or Mayo.

The tension waa always there. And in 1996 it came back to surface. There is a massive Mayo population in Meath . The same way there is a massive Galway community in kildare. When Meath played Mayo in 96 there was many Mayo flags dotted thtoughout Meath. Outside a Meath town at the time a banner read " u stole our land but u will never steal the cup".

After the final a young Meath footballer brought the Sam Maguire to his local nursing home. He handed the Sam Maguire to a local farmer who was 70 years old and came from the west at age 9 and built a house and became farmer in Meath for the next 50 years . So the young Meath player handed the cup to the elderly farmer , the 70 year old spat in the Meath players face and wouldnt take the cup. As I said there has always being divisions in Meath and at times bitter divisions. However the migration to Meath from the west in gaa terms was a huge benefit for Meath gaa 80s and 90s.

So here we are again another migration to the county. This time from the east , namely Dublin but also from around the country as families live in Meath want to be closer to Dublin. Meath population and kildares has exploded. Could Meath become new Cavan ?. Well Cavans population declined after 1950s. Meath has massively grown since the golden era of Meath football. And its a young population.

Towns like Ashbourne and Rataoth are at the forefront of this growth . And there is shift in Meath football. The Meath capitan is not from Navan or Kells or Kilmainhamwood hes from Ashbourne , Brian Menton . The most iconic position on a Meath team is full back . The current Meath full back is not from Skyrne like Paddy O Brien or kilbride like Jack Quinn or Summerhill like Mick lyons or Trim like Darren Fay. The current Meath full back is from Rataoth , Conor McGill . Ratoath and Ashbourne are just beginning. I can see them and Dunshaughlin and Dunboyne winning many keegan cups in the future. Ratoath and Ashbourne are going to continue to be sucessful. Already this has led to tension in the county. Rataoth and Ashbourne are not popular in the county. It reminds me of kilmacud Crokes in Dublins in 80s and 90s. Kilmacud Crokes were seen as nouvea riche of Dublin football in 80s and 90s. They were sucessful new super clubs. And the Ballymuns and St Vincents there was tension with old traditional sucessful clubs and new sucessful clubs in the southside eg Kilmacud Crokes, Ballyboden and Cuala.

Over a period that subsided. And the clubs in south side suburbs like Ballyboden, kilmacud Crokes and Cuala have become central to Dublins sucess and old divisions have disappeared. I wonder could Rataoth and Ashbourne follow similar path. My belief is Meaths needs to keep football alive in the Northern villages and in the heartlands of Meath football eg Skyrne etc. But also tap into population explosion in south east of county. If we do we could have sucess which could even be unprecedented for Meath. Dublin have proved migrats to county can be benefit. So many of current Dublin team their parents are from the country and brought up a love of gaelic football from west and past it to their children who have won multiple All Irelands in this decade for Dublin.

Meath is a mogrel of county. Dublin kerry Galway Cork are pedigree counties. And when I say mogrel of a county I see that has a good team. Meath has rebel punk atitude , we are the outsiders of gaelic football. The Dubs and Cork are the establishment. We are kicking against the gaa establishment. We have been on the outside looking in. The upstarts the bad guys of gaelic football. And we love to be that. Us against the rest. U cannot beat a siege mentality in sport.

Every county has divsions eg east Cork West kerry etc. But in general people in Cork are from Cork have the same enough accent and identity. 20 % of people in Cork are not from Cork. 70 % of people in Meath are not from Meath. Meath has a mixture of groups. U have Meath up at the Ulster border. Small northern villages ( even though I am not from that part of county its part of the county that produces my favourite players ). Then u have the Meah up at the Midlands border. This is midlands Meath. Then u have central Meath Navan and surrounding Navan areas. Then u have Meath down south at kildare border. And of course Meath to the east at Dublin border. All different areas different groups.

Then u have the old Meath families going back generations, then u have west of Ireland families going back to 40s 50s and 60s. Then u have new modern migration creating the new Meath suburbs. Put that all together and u have a very mixed up, mogrel kind of a county. But that gives the edge to Meath. Mogrels bite. It gives us an identity to Meath football . Meath are outsiders, the upstarts of gaelic football. So it works and taps into Meaths fighting spirit. Slane Castle is not rock arena its a fortress and so is Newgrange. Meath and its land most be defended at all costs . Thats were the fighting never say spirit comes in. Geography and landscape in my view has impact on every counties gaa identity and physche.

And Meath has always had an outside influence. Someone who comes to county and becomes more Meath then Meath people themselves. Meath greatest footballer of the last 40 years Colm O Rourke was born in leitrim. Peter McDermont one greatest forwards Meath ever produced and one greatest forwards of 40s and 50s and coach to 1967 team and a man who created compromise rules. He brought Meath team to Australia in 1968 to play Auzzie Rules teams. Peter McDermont one of the Meath greats, was born in Cork. Mattie kerrigan one of the greatest ever Meath forwards was born in Galway and moved to Meath when he was 7. Colm Coyle was born in Donegal. Fr Tully Meath coach/ trainer of 1949 , 1954 and 1967 All Ireland winning Meath teams was from Westmeath. They all came to Meath and became great Meath gaa people. As I said Meath gaa is a broad church.

So to finish up what is happening in Ashbourne currently, this is a continuation of the Meath football story. As I said at the start there has always being tensions in Meath in gaa terms. New families moving to Meath , and not supporting Meath. The question is will Meath gaa take advantage of the massive population growth in last 10 to 15 years. At the moment there is divisions and tension on the ground and that is normal. The question is in 2020s 2030s and 2040s can this new young population be tapped into.

Time will tell. The families who support Dublin and kids who support Dublin they wouldnt help the Meath cause. But the families who move to Meath who have little interest in gaa , if their children join local gaa club they could be Meath future players. People who moved to Meath from around the country. The chances they could follow and want to play Meath. The population growth has been that big , there is potential there.

But there is no gurantee that this population will help Meath . Just look at Antrim , Wicklow, limerick, kildare 1940 to 1990 , Dublin to 1930 to 2010. Population guratees nothing . But its still all.to play for. The future has yet to be written. It will fascinating to see if Meath or kildare take advantage of this population surge in both counties in the future.

It gives us an identity to Meath football . Meath are outsiders, the upstarts of gaelic football. So it works and taps into Meaths fighting spirit. Slane Castle is not rock arena its a fortress and so is Newgrange. Meath and its land most be defended at all costs . Thats were the fighting never say spirit comes in. Geography and landscape in my view has impact on every counties gaa identity and physche.

And Meath has always had an outside influence. Someone who comes to county and becomes more Meath then Meath people themselves. Meath greatest footballer of the last 40 years Colm O Rourke was born in leitrim. Peter McDermont one greatest forwards Meath ever produced and one greatest forwards of 40s and 50s and coach to 1967 team and a man who created compromise rules. He brought Meath team to Australia in 1968 to play Auzzie Rules teams. Peter McDermont one of the Meath greats, was born in Cork. Mattie kerrigan one of the greatest ever Meath forwards was born in Galway and moved to Meath when he was 7. Colm Coyle was born in Donegal. Fr Tully Meath coach/ trainer of 1949 , 1954 and 1967 All Ireland winning Meath teams was from Westmeath. They all came to Meath and became great Meath gaa people. As I said Meath gaa is a broad church.

So to finish up what is happening in Ashbourne currently, this is a continuation of the Meath football story. As I said at the start there has always being tensions in Meath in gaa terms. New families moving to Meath , and not supporting Meath. The question is will Meath gaa take advantage of the massive population growth in last 10 to 15 years. At the moment there is divisions and tension on the ground and that is normal. The question is in 2020s 2030s and 2040s can this new young population be tapped into.

Time will tell. The families who support Dublin and kids who support Dublin they wouldnt help the Meath cause. But the families who move to Meath who have little interest in gaa , if their children join local gaa club they could be Meath future players. People who moved to Meath from around the country. The chances they could follow and want to play Meath. The population growth has been that big , there is potential there.

But there is no gurantee that this population will help Meath . Just look at Antrim , Wicklow, limerick, kildare 1940 to 1990 , Dublin to 1930 to 2010. Population guratees nothing . But its still all.to play for. The future has yet to be written. It will fascinating to see if Meath or kildare take advantage of this population surge in both counties in the future.

Anyone know what incident he is referring to? All seems very rushed and a bit of a mad situation

https://twitter.com/BHDFlanagan/status/1175141989354000385?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Wondered about this too, quite dramatic thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

rpurfield wrote: »
    Had it sent to me, wouldn't be a reader of the Mail. I assume you mean the curious incident of the referee, the county chair and a club? If it is i don't think it mentions the county, but I know there's posts on social media naming the county (hint: there's a reason it's in this thread)

For people wondering why the county chair stepped down, it's in relation to this. Not my post now (I wish I had that power), but the Mail carried an article a few weeks back about a county chairman texting a referee to say he was sending him down to a club to "ride them" in a few weeks after some sort of bad blood at a game between this club and his club. It's all available online but the county and club and referee weren't mentioned in it. I'm sure it's available on a google search anyway

• Advertisement

So Pat's and Rathkenny are relegated. Was the Longwood - Seneschalstown game postponed?
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne easily beat Curraha 1-13 to 0-9 in the senior Preliminary quarter final. Very interested to see how they get on against Gaeil Colmcille in the quarter final. They haven't set the world alight but they've only conceded an average of 11 points a game so far.
    Walterstown scraped by the Bracks in the IFC preliminary quarter final 10 points to 9. They'll play Nobber in the quarter final.

Senior hurling final will be between Kiltale and Kildalkey. Kiltale beat Trim 3-16 to 3-14 in a thriller. Kildalkey hammered Longwood 4-19 to 1-11.
    Intermediate final is between Dunderry and Clann na nGael after they beat Drumree and Gaeil Colmcille respectively.

Killyon won the Junior hurling championship by beating Dunboyne.
    And St. Pat's, in their first season back in adult hurling, are into the Junior 2 hurling championship. Hopefully that's a platform for them to keep improving.

Advertisement