Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

rpurfield wrote: »
    We're not as fit or conditioned as other teams at this level, it's something that doesn't come in one year. I'm really frustrated with today as I believe we didn't play as well as last week and left it behind us today as Mayo weren't great. They did seem to be able to win frees a lot handier than us too. I don't believe Colgan is a bad keeper but we need to work on the kick out strategy as a whole. It's costing us too dearly, at least 2-2 came from them today. You can blame Colgan but if lads don't move or make space he can't hit them safely.

If you look at our performances V the 3 division 1 sides we played in this year's Championship we have been destroyed 4-17 V 0-4 over the last 15 minutes of play. This would say conditioning is a factor. Also, sorry for the soccer reference but I am also slightly worried that we have a bunch of forwards who might all be what I can only describe as "Philippe Coutinho" like in their midset/physical approach to the game. Not much of an engine and disappear somewhat when the game is in the balance. Really finding it hard to make my mind up on O'Sullivan. He's either in or I'd completely jettison him. James Conlon shot to points percentage can't be much better than 20% since the Laois match. I love his willingness to show for the ball but he got ripped once or twice and looked a minor amongst seniors. Newman is looking a bit lethargic recently missed an early free. Shane Walsh might put him under pressure over the league although he left a handy free short today. He kicked a nice one from the turf V Clare but everything today was out of the hand? I prefer my free taking from the ground.

I kind of want to say defensively we are not too bad but the scores opposing teams have racked up over the last 3 games seems to be at odd's with that. Lavin was very good today and showed an attacking part of his game I had not really known was there. If we happened to unearth a bit more depth defensively maybe he could make a workhorse half-forward in time? I think if Keoghan got his goal he was a lock for an All-Star. He's right on the line for that. Meath being out of the Championship 6 weeks before it's over might go against him.

Does anyone know a depth chart of our Goal Keeper position? Are there options beyond Colgin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I’ll defend Colgan slightly. Yes, the goal came from a bad kickout, but the defending after the kickout was shocking. McLoughlin simply sauntered into the box unnoticed and wasn’t tracked. His kickouts were decent enough up to then.

Forwards again killed us. O’Sullivan’s sitter would have put us 3 up with less than 20 to go. Mayo went up the other end and bought a free. Think we only got 3 more points after that.
    Baptism of fire for us. Have played well for 60 minutes in both games but have lost both by 9. At least the players know the work they need to put in over the winter if they are to have any chance of staying up. And again, every effort needs to be made to get players back!
    Hopefully a big crowd next week. It’s been an excellent season regardless of the last two results.

I agree Hammer but kickouts have been a problem since the league, i fully understand there is not enough running from players to create space for him, my problem is how many times kicks go over the sideline, or to opposition players maybe 20-30 yards away from him and scores are conceded, i dont believe he's a bad keeper, and its a fixable problem, i was told 2-4 was conceded from that area today, he's not alone by the way, O'Sullivan dropped the ball 2 or 3 times and we were punished with points to, turnovers have really hurt us in the championship this year along with kicking wides, we need to find some scoring forwards next year, i'll just add, i felt Shane Walsh was terrific when introduced today, his movement off the ball was fantastic.

Iike i said before the super 8's, its been a great season and these games are great prep for the league, roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Even as a neutral hoping Meath would win, today was very frustrating. Meath should have kicked on and had three or four points before Mayo had even scored.

The space the Meath forwards had in the first half was criminal and at least one goal should have been scored.

Newman, whose praises I have sung in the past for his free taking, needs to learn to look up rather than constantly going for the same dummy and shot.

I was surprised how poor Mayo were because I expected a lot more from them. They were there for the taking today.

Still, as others have said, this has been a very good year for Meath. Promotion to Division One and the Super 8s is a great return for this team.

However, no team of true quality has been beaten in the Championship and unless a few of the junior team or your underage sides can step up quickly, I foresee a very difficult League campaign for the Royals next year.

We're not as fit or conditioned as other teams at this level, it's something that doesn't come in one year. I'm really frustrated with today as I believe we didn't play as well as last week and left it behind us today as Mayo weren't great. They did seem to be able to win frees a lot handier than us too. I don't believe Colgan is a bad keeper but we need to work on the kick out strategy as a whole. It's costing us too dearly, at least 2-2 came from them today. You can blame Colgan but if lads don't move or make space he can't hit them safely.

24 months to get up to full intercounty conditioning is what this lad reckons:

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/11/09/news/respected-rugby-coach-andre-quinn-appointed-cavan-s-head-of-athletic-performance-1481018/

It’s why Cavan brought in a few U20s to a 40 man senior panel this year who were pretty much told they wouldn’t play until next year at the earliest.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I was surprised how poor Mayo were because I expected a lot more from them. They were there for the taking today.

Ha well a mayo man (who should know better judging by the amount of finals i'd say he has seen) sitting in front of me would disagree with you, he taught they were very good and will qualify for the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The forward play is very concerning, irrespective of the milestones reached. No difference makers and young guys who really are not improving as necessary. I'm really struggling to keep my cool with COS, Colgan and Newman too at times.

Backs have way exceeded my expectations. Really hope they go out with a big performance.

Ha well a mayo man (who should know better judging by the amount of finals i'd say he has seen) sitting in front of me would disagree with you, he taught they were very good and will qualify for the final

Was he still saying that after watching the second game!?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Was he still saying that after watching the second game!?

He'd gone by HT, i got the impression he's the type of lad who wouldnt worry about the opposition, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

He had too much beer beforehand is the only explanation for that viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Just want to say thanks to all the lads and management for a wonderful year (I know it's not over but it's raw at the moment).

If you had told me at the start of the year we would have got to Division 1 (and could easily have won the league final), got to a Leinster final and kept Dublin to 5 points in the first half without being overly defensive and got to the Super 8s where we showed we certainly are not out of place at that level I would have told you to go and get yourself checked out.

A hugely positive year, yes there are multiple learning points and things we need to work on, but hey...I'd rather be in this position than having achieved none of the above 3 goals.

Imperative that the lads stick together, give Kerry a serious rattle and then go off and move our game to another level for next year. I've had a hugely enjoyable year following this team and I know full well the huge sacrifices they make for our enjoyment

Thanks men and keep those heads high, you've brought serious pride back to Meath GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

Mayo have really gone back alot in the last 2 years .
    Unlucky not to win a all ireland at their peak , hard see them beat donegal to get out of group.
    End of the road for alot of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I agree Hammer but kickouts have been a problem since the league, i fully understand there is not enough running from players to create space for him, my problem is how many times kicks go over the sideline, or to opposition players maybe 20-30 yards away from him and scores are conceded, i dont believe he's a bad keeper, and its a fixable problem, i was told 2-4 was conceded from that area today, he's not alone by the way, O'Sullivan dropped the ball 2 or 3 times and we were punished with points to, turnovers have really hurt us in the championship this year along with kicking wides, we need to find some scoring forwards next year, i'll just add, i felt Shane Walsh was terrific when introduced today, his movement off the ball was fantastic.

Iike i said before the super 8's, its been a great season and these games are great prep for the league, roll on next year.
    Oh absolutely. I think we need a new keeper without a doubt! Just think he wasn't too bad yesterday.
    Walsh was very good today and will only improve. James Conlon made some fantastic runs off the ball at times but these weren't spotted. It's another infuriating thing about our forward play. We just seem to put the head down and not see anything further than 10 yards ahead. There were a couple of goal chances had we played the correct ball.

As Obrieski said, a great year. I think it would be a travesty if some of that defence don't end up with All Star nominations (Keogan, McGill and Lavin in my view). I think Keogan is definitely in with a shout of winning one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All Star nominations (Keogan, McGill and Lavin in my view). I think Keogan is definitely in with a shout of winning one.

McGill is a class act. I remember seeing him in a couple of games at underage, he held a promanate member of the current Dublin team scoreless in one provincial final.

If Meath get one for reaching the super 8s I think fullback would be a good position for it, as Mayo don't have one.

Dublin are playing 3 corner backs, Morley for Kerry or Mark Griffen I'd say McGill is out a head of Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Cork and Kerry

McGee being out for Donegal and no Monghan there this year would rule out the other better No 3s in the country.

A gambling man, ie 80 percent of the posters on boards, might put a fiver on him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Not so sure on the full back line getting a nomination, they've been class (McGill in particular) but I think the high scores conceded in the last few games will kill them. Unfairly so.

Donal Lenihan with 1-5 in the B league final for Dunboyne last night. Lovely boost for them ahead of the championship to have him back

So will we have much of a turn out in the stands on Saturday? I hope we do, the squad and management deserve a show of support for what has been the best season in at least 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Going to this with the kids. Have only been to a few games in PT and am wondering if it's a case of turn up early to get the best seats as per the league games?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

I really think we can win this one. If andy can get them in the correct mind set and treat this like the previous two games I fancy us to win.
    Navan will be a big advantage to us. A win here would be such a boost going into division 1 next year.
    Home games in division 1 will be the making or breaking of us next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

So will we have much of a turn out in the stands on Saturday? I hope we do, the squad and management deserve a show of support for what has been the best season in at least 9 years.
    The Meath support should come out. There have been some very good performances this year. It will be a 70 minute plus game so a 60 minute outing wont do. There is a big game in those lads

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Heading to the game tmw (father from Kerry). First time in Pairc Tailteann - regarding tickets, is there a ticket office outside the ground? My father will be getting an OAP ticket, and they can only be purchased on the day.

What kind of attendance is being predicted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Heading to the game tmw (father from Kerry). First time in Pairc Tailteann - regarding tickets, is there a ticket office outside the ground? My father will be getting an OAP ticket, and they can only be purchased on the day.

What kind of attendance is being predicted?

No idea on attendance being predicted, but there is a ticket office.
    Now I would advise you to get there early as the crowds that can develop around that ticket office can be quite large, so best to get to it early.

Brennan comes in between the sticks for Colgan. Walsh and Campion are in for Newman and Conlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Marcus Brennan far more composed. I dont think we'll see Colgan in a Meath shirt again

Carbon copy of the other two games. Good for two-thirds of the game before falling apart.
    But fair play to the team. They haven't disgraced themselves in any of the games.
    Back to knocking lumps out of each other in the club championship.

Yeah same script as the other games. Is it the game plan that causes lads to fade, there is a lot of running involved in breaking out of a packed defence? Shane Walsh looked sharp, he's going to develop into a serious footballer. It's been a generally good year, hit the targets we needed to hit. It's going to be hard to push on now to the next level. I genuinely think we might have a couple of years of yo-yoing between one and two in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Playing championship football in August is a big step forward for the team, remember last year!!
    We can see that the ability is there to complete for 75% of the game with regard to intensity, physicality, skill and speed. So the fundamentals are in place, certain things probably need tweaking but there is so much that is already right. Next season mental and physical fitness will be miles ahead of where the team started this season.
    I really enjoyed watching this team. Kerry and Mayo both got a bit of a fright for a period in those games. The defeats were tough on the scoreboard in the end which is unfortunate.
    Anyway I’m looking forward to next season. The league is going to be tough, but there will be scalps to be taken early on in the campaign. Could really do with a favourable fixture draw!!

On a side note I think the ref had a bit of a stinker yesterday. In these cases I fell the linesmen / umpires need to share some of the blame. Especially regarding the stuff going on in the fullback line.

Over 2700km travelled this year for league and championship. That’s just shy of a road trip from Paris to Moscow!!

SHC
    Ratoath 3-19 Killyon 1-14
    Trim 1-13 Blackhall Gaels 1-12 (Last minute Trim goal won it)
    Kiltale 3-34 Dunboyne 1-11 :eek:

I know Dunboyne went down to 14 early on, but that is one serious tanking. Dunboyne are surely favourites to drop to group B.

Curraha beat Simonstown by 5 points :eek:

Curraha beat Simonstown by 5 points :eek:

Seen on Twitter that they've a lot of lads back from travelling etc. Still wouldn't have expected them to beat Simonstown though

• Advertisement

NOM's victory over Gaeil Colmcille means that there are four teams level on four points in each of the three SFC groups.

Advertisement