Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Stephen Bray with 4 points from play...the man just oozes class!
    What a player!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

U16s beat Dublin 2-11 to 2-10 to win the Gerry Reilly tournament for the second year in a row.
    The Ladies' footballers are into the All Ireland Intermediate final again after beating Roscommon 4-20 to 1-12. They'll play Tipperary in the final. Tipperary were relegated from the senior championship last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I watched the ladies game on the box, they played very well. Emma Duggan and Vikki Wall were excellent. I think the final will be a tough ask, it seems Tipp are a lot of people's picks to win it from the start of the year.

On a side note, I was reading an article a couple of weeks back about how poorly attended the women's games are outside of the finals. Doing things like bringing Meath, Roscommon and Sligo all the way to Kilkenny for games doesn't help.

Dunshaughlin with a big win over NOM last night...big result that.
    Kells are flying - amazing how little representation they have on the Meath squad.

How bad were Skryne though? Kells were down to 14 men for all the second half and they outscored Skryne by 3-11 to 2 points. They're likely going to be in the relegation playoff but they're steeped that they'll play Longwood and avoid relegation.
    Another fantastic win by Curraha, hammering Tones by 12 points. They're in a great position to make the knockout stages now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Meath GAA website down again at the moment. We've been **** digitally. I've said it a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The meath club championship is the best in the country bar none. Curraha the story of the summer so far. So many teams in contention, dunshaughlin my dark horses.

Some mad results over the weekend. I didn't get to Pats v Seneschalstown because my young lad had a match at the same time. I was talking to my father though and he was highly impressed with Seneschalstown, he reckons they could go deep in the championship, and it takes a lot to impress him!

I wouldn't have expected Dunshaughlin to win this weekend, and the Cilles getting a draw against Dunboyne is a good result for them, although probably frustrating as they led for a lot of it. Going to a 16 team championship will probably make things more competitive as ourselves and Longwood really shouldn't be in there. Apart from ourselves, Group A is all level pegging you couldn't get more even than that, although I'll have a degree of sympathy for whoever ends up in the relegation play off out of the rest of the group when they could've went on to the know outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The meath club championship is the best in the country bar none. Curraha the story of the summer so far. So many teams in contention, dunshaughlin my dark horses.

How is it best in country?
    Most games at the weeknd were very one sided.
    19 / 22 / 17 / 22 / 12 / 18 point victories

Far to many bad teams at senior level

If NOM, Skryne and Seneschalstown happen to win their final games in group A you'd end up with 5 teams on 6 points meaning the top team will be level with a team in the relegation playoffs.
    Seneschalstown seem to be improving after nearly a decade of rebuilding. Their underage teams seem to be competing very well at the moment too.

While I don't think the quality of the SFC is necessarily great and there are some very one-sided games, the fact that 13 of the 18 teams have won at least half their games shows that most teams are relatively competitive. When it's at 16 teams next year and one bad result could be the difference between a quarter final spot or a relegation playoff, I can see it being even more competitive.

• Advertisement

The one I can't get my head around is the relative struggles of Colmcilles. They've an absolute machine of an underage set up for years now, but seem to be struggling at senior level. They could be a team that's caught in a relegation play off against a pretty good side and drop down but be too goo for inter.

I think the move to 16 will certainly help the SFC. It's the 20 team IFC that's going to be an issue. The spread will be far too wide and they'll need to reduce it fairly quickly.

Hurling group stages are done and dusted. Boardsmill relegated to intermediate which was confirmed before their walkover in the last game. Trim promoted to group A next season while Dunboyne drop to group B.

Quarter finals see Ratoath v Trim and Longwood v Na Fianna. Kiltale and Kildalkey are straight through to the semi finals. Anyone know who plays who in the semi finals?

Could be wrong, but it looks as though Donaghmore/Ashbourne are in a relegation playoff with Kilmessan's second team to determine who drops to the JHC. Now they'll win that easily (Kilmessan have been hockeyed in all but one of the games they played) but it's still not great for such a big club.

rpurfield wrote: »
    The one I can't get my head around is the relative struggles of Colmcilles. They've an absolute machine of an underage set up for years now, but seem to be struggling at senior level. They could be a team that's caught in a relegation play off against a pretty good side and drop down but be too goo for inter.

I think the move to 16 will certainly help the SFC. It's the 20 team IFC that's going to be an issue. The spread will be far too wide and they'll need to reduce it fairly quickly.
    For Cilles, I know it does take a while for the good underage work to bear fruit at adult level with players dropping out and whatnot. Also, from chatting to someone involved, their approach this year hasn't been great as in they don't seem to have a concrete system that they play and a number of their players weren't giving 100% commitment. That was rectified prior to the Dunboyne game and I wouldn't bet against them against Curraha. They should have way too much for Rathkenny in the relegation playoff.

I think the CB have gone with the softly softly approach when it comes to rejigging the football championships after the debacle a few years ago. They'll probably bring a motion to reduce the IFC to 16 teams by relegating five teams in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Hurling group stages are done and dusted. Boardsmill relegated to intermediate which was confirmed before their walkover in the last game. Trim promoted to group A next season while Dunboyne drop to group B.

Quarter finals see Ratoath v Trim and Longwood v Na Fianna. Kiltale and Kildalkey are straight through to the semi finals. Anyone know who plays who in the semi finals?

Could be wrong, but it looks as though Donaghmore/Ashbourne are in a relegation playoff with Kilmessan's second team to determine who drops to the JHC. Now they'll win that easily (Kilmessan have been hockeyed in all but one of the games they played) but it's still not great for such a big club.
    Winner of Trim/Ratoath plays Kiltale in the semi final.

I only learned a week or two ago that the IHC is structured the same as the SHC this year with an A group and a B group. So Ashbourne are down to the B group and Kilmessan are down to Junior.

Ah right I didn't realize that myself.

Andy Mc ratified for another three years tonight. The correct move anyway, although some keyboard warriors aren't happy :D

Andy Mc ratified for another three years tonight. The correct move anyway, although some keyboard warriors aren't happy :D

Good news.

Stability is what is needed now and Andy has brought together a strong squad and with a couple more additions and carrying forward some momentum I am going into next year with renewed optimism and hope.

Hopefully Colm Nally stays on board too

Yep I'm delighted it's all tied down now, no messing about or uncertainty. Colm Nally staying will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The4Sisters

Very interesting article in the Mail last weekend. Anybody see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

What was it about?

• Advertisement

Had it sent to me, wouldn't be a reader of the Mail. I assume you mean the curious incident of the referee, the county chair and a club? If it is i don't think it mentions the county, but I know there's posts on social media naming the county (hint: there's a reason it's in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The4Sisters

Had it sent to me, wouldn't be a reader of the Mail. I assume you mean the curious incident of the referee, the county chair and a club? If it is i don't think it mentions the county, but I know there's posts on social media naming the county (hint: there's a reason it's in this thread)

Yeah not sure what county it is, doesn't mention it in the article. I hope the referees allegations will be fully investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Some mental scores in the SFC today. Notably, one for the purists as DonAsh beat Moynalvey 7-6 lol.

Ratoath 1-16 Rathkenny 9pts

Summer hill 4-23 Longwood 8pts

That's some kicking by Summerhill

^ Pretty grim in Skryne alright.
    Longwood have to be up there with the worst ever teams in the senior championship. -90 score difference.
    Summerhill top group B by virtue of a 2 point better score difference than Ratoath. Not sure how much of an advantage it'll be for Summerhill, given that it's possible that they'll play Dunboyne or Simonstown in the quarters.

Meath GAA website down again. Every single championship weekend!

^ Pretty grim in Skryne alright.
    Longwood have to be up there with the worst ever teams in the senior championship. -90 score difference.
    Summerhill top group B by virtue of a 2 point better score difference than Ratoath. Not sure how much of an advantage it'll be for Summerhill, given that it's possible that they'll play Dunboyne or Simonstown in the quarters.

Meath GAA website down again. Every single championship weekend!

On the website, I assume that's due to heavier traffic than normal and also updating things would be a slow process maybe. It's the same for a lot of the local websites I visit for updates. Meath Gaa, Kerry Gaa, Kerry soccer, the Leinster Senior League soccer could be out of action for 2 days after a full weekend of fixtures. Wouldnt be too hard on them annoying as it is.

It used to work perfectly. Not sure what's going on with it.

Dunboyne knocked out! Simonstown win the group, Na Fianna second and Curraha third. Curraha and Donaghmore/Ashbourne will meet in the preliminary quarter final.

Kells 8-9 Seneschalstown 2-11
    Skryne 2-12 Dunshaughlin 2-7
    NOM 1-11 St. Pat's 0-13

As far as I can tell, the knockout stages are:

Preliminary Quarter Final
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Curraha

Quarter Finals
    Preliminary QF Winner v Kells
    Ratoath v Dunshaughlin
    Summerhill v Na Fianna
    Simonstown v Navan O'Mahony's

Relegation playoffs are:
    Longwood v Seneschalstown
    St. Colmcilles v Rathkenny
    St. Pat's v Wolfe Tones

Semi confident that we can finally get past the quarter finals.

Actually, scratch that! It looks as though Skryne qualified ahead of Dunshaughlin as they beat both NOM and Dunshaughlin. And Dunshaughlin are ranked ahead of NOM because they beat them. So Ratoath play Skryne and Simonstown play Dunshaughlin. Supposedly. Looks like you need a maths degree to figure it out. Don't know how they've ranked group B the way they have.

• Advertisement

Yeah saw that. Not sure how they've managed to rank group B though.

Advertisement