Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The Minors play Westmeath in the Leinster semi final in Mullingar on Saturday evening at 7pm. A win and they will be playing the Leinster final before the seniors in 3 weeks time. Just like the old days :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

I've heard there are some good talents in that minor side. Haven't seen them this year but I saw Harnan and O'Sullivan from Moynalvey last year and they looked to have a bit about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The Minors play Westmeath in the Leinster semi final in Mullingar on Saturday evening at 7pm. A win and they will be playing the Leinster final before the seniors in 3 weeks time. Just like the old days :pac:
    boynesider wrote: »
    I've heard there are some good talents in that minor side. Haven't seen them this year but I saw Harnan and O'Sullivan from Moynalvey last year and they looked to have a bit about them.

Seen the Meath minors play Tipp in a challenge game last week, it was played over 3 ''halves'' of 30 mins and both teams used all their panels, was quite impressed with a number of Meath players and they were up there with anyone Tipp have played so far, including Cork and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

We play Kildare in the other semi final.

A Dubs v Meath double header would be something else (even if I have to miss the minor final due to a christening but nothing will keep me away from the senior final).

boynesider wrote: »
    Few very good players alright. Last year we were unlucky to meet (and be beaten by) both All Ireland finalists, and we could have actually beaten Tipp in the QF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

paul71 wrote: »
    Dublin 2/7 7/2 Meath

Donegal 2/9 4/1 Down

Cork 1/100 28/1 Clare

Mayo 1/4 7/2 Sligo

I am not a gambler but anyone think a longshot double on Meath and Down is good value?

Meath are available at 4/1 so doubling them with any bet at 7/2 is pretty terrible in gambling terms, as an accumulator at bad odds only serves to multiply the bookies edge against you. If you're going to do accumulators make sure you're getting best prices or you're throwing money down the drain.
    rpurfield wrote: »
    watched the game again this afternoon and i missed how well damien carroll played.

He had an amazing game, looked like Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Harrinton coming off the bench had a big impact on the game. James Cavanagh certainly seemed to be getting the better of Lenihan

Felexicon wrote: »
    Harrinton coming off the bench had a big impact on the game. James Cavanagh certainly seemed to be getting the better of Lenihan
    I've been very disappointed with Lenehan this season. He was one of our best defenders at the tail end of last season but the few times I've seen him in a Meath shirt this season, he's been pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Did anyone else notice that that for the first time in living memory we had neutral support on Sunday?

I can't ever remember that before, I was getting texts of Dubs, Kerrymen, Monaghan men and even a Mayoman for gods sake to name but a few... (none from Louth) wishing us luck and congratulating us afterwards.

The usual form is abuse before during and after no matter what the result (all light hearted of course)

Have we turned a corner? do they miss us? or is it pity?

or is it just because we were playing Kildare after seanie gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

whatnext wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that that for the first time in living memory we had neutral support on Sunday?

I can't ever remember that before, I was getting texts of Dubs, Kerrymen, Monaghan men and even a Mayoman for gods sake to name but a few... (none from Louth) wishing us luck and congratulating us afterwards.

The usual form is abuse before during and after no matter what the result (all light hearted of course)

id put it entirely down to a combination of seanie gate and the fact theyd see us as weaker opposition in a final!! i see the royal ladies are through to a leinster final against dublin too, hopefully the minors complete the hattrick on saturday night

• Advertisement

Noticed that about the "neutral" supporters alright. At a Croke Park double header, I'm used to the fans of the other three teams cheering our opponents on but a good few (but not all) Dubs around me on Sunday were cheering for us as well as the majority of Wexford fans. I'd say it's mostly to do with the Seanie Johnston saga. Just like when everyone was shouting against us (more vocally than usual anyway) after the 2010 Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I don't think it's all Seanie related. Most GAA fans I know have become tired of the medias obsession with this Kildare team and simply love to see them fall short year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Never really minded Kildare too much, even with the media hype and the hype that came from their own fans but the whole Seanie Johnston affair has left a bitter taste in peoples mouth. Fair enough if the lad moved to Kildare to work or had parents from Kildare but it smacks of glory hunting to not knuckle down and play for ones own county.

I was kind of up for Meath (Suppose having a grandfather from there made it easier to swallow lol).I don't know if Meath are "back" just yet.They could flop in the next two matches but McEneaney has to be kept on.He seems to have unearthed some players that can maybe trouble some top teams

blackbelt wrote: »
    I was kind of up for Meath (Suppose having a grandfather from there made it easier to swallow lol).I don't know if Meath are "back" just yet.They could flop in the next two matches but McEneaney has to be kept on.He seems to have unearthed some players that can maybe trouble some top teams
    I'm getting a little worried about all the hype that's being generated around us after Sunday. While I don't think we're as bad as we showed during the league, comparisons with the team of 1996 is very worrying. I've heard pundits comparing Damien Carroll and Gillespie to the likes of Giles and McDermott which is ridiculous.

We have not become All Ireland contenders overnight. We were terrible for the first 20 minutes against Wicklow and for the whole of the first Carlow game. Even in the Carlow replay, we were pretty poor until Peader Byrne came on in the first half. Only then did we begin to pull away. Yes the performance against Kildare was encouraging but I think some Meath fans (though not on here) seem to be getting ahead of themselves.

For the Leinster final, Dublin will be raging hot favourites and we'll need to up our level of performance even more from Sunday to even have a chance against them. I hope the lads don't let Sunday's game go to their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I'm getting a little worried about all the hype that's being generated around us after Sunday. While I don't think we're as bad as we showed during the league, comparisons with the team of 1996 is very worrying. I've heard pundits comparing Damien Carroll and Gillespie to the likes of Giles and McDermott which is ridiculous.

We have not become All Ireland contenders overnight. We were terrible for the first 20 minutes against Wicklow and for the whole of the first Carlow game. Even in the Carlow replay, we were pretty poor until Peader Byrne came on in the first half. Only then did we begin to pull away. Yes the performance against Kildare was encouraging but I think some Meath fans (though not on here) seem to be getting ahead of themselves.

For the Leinster final, Dublin will be raging hot favourites and we'll need to up our level of performance even more from Sunday to even have a chance against them. I hope the lads don't let Sunday's game go to their heads.

Noticed that too.

I think our real level at the moment is probably half way between the performance against Kildare and the one against Carlow in the drawn game.
    Even with Kildares relatively poor showing on the day, and their inability to take point scoring opportunities through a combination of over playing the ball and poor shooting they still stacked up 1-11 on us, and that was with our backs playing very well.

I cant see Dublin showing up as they did against Wexford, they got the kick in the backside "they" needed. The next question is can we repeat our performance? Even at that if the Dubs do show up we will need to bring the Kildare showing and raise it a notch or two.

You can bet your last euro though that as a Dublin fan, I am weary of Meath.In 2010 I felt there was an inevitable outcome that Meath would take Dublin, just felt it in my bones.

This time however while I am more confident Dublin will win, Sundays performances would have let the casual,neutral observer to say Meath looked more impressive than we did. We can't afford to start Fennell and MDMA has to come in and put in a performance.Conor Gillespie who is apparently Meaths 5th choice midfielder really put the Kildare midfield in his back pocket. Too many sacred cows in Meath before Sunday perhaps.Lest not forget Kevin Reilly has gotten the better of Bernard Brogan in the past and given his form last Sunday, this is a concern.

You can bet your last euro though that as a Dublin fan, I am weary of Meath.In 2010 I felt there was an inevitable outcome that Meath would take Dublin, just felt it in my bones.

This time however while I am more confident Dublin will win, Sundays performances would have let the casual,neutral observer to say Meath looked more impressive than we did. We can't afford to start Fennell and MDMA has to come in and put in a performance.Conor Gillespie who is apparently Meaths 5th choice midfielder really put the Kildare midfield in his back pocket. Too many sacred cows in Meath before Sunday perhaps.Lest not forget Kevin Reilly has gotten the better of Bernard Brogan in the past and given his form last Sunday, this is a concern.
    Personally, I would be more confident about the Leinster Final if Dublin hadn't struggled against Wexford. If Dublin had given Wexford a similar beating as they gave to Louth, they would be unbackable favourites. But now, Dublin have gotten the bad game out of their system and know they will have to up it against Meath. I'd be very surprised if Dublin's performance on Sunday week is anywhere close to last Sunday's.

And I'd be worried if we do lose, what our fate in the qualifiers would be. Lose the final and we'll be playing 6 days later with (no disrespect to the teams they're playing in the qualifiers) teams such as Kerry, Tyrone and Kildare waiting. I wouldn't be too confident of picking ourselves up for a game with any of them so soon after losing a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Personally, I would be more confident about the Leinster Final if Dublin hadn't struggled against Wexford. If Dublin had given Wexford a similar beating as they gave to Louth, they would be unbackable favourites. But now, Dublin have gotten the bad game out of their system and know they will have to up it against Meath. I'd be very surprised if Dublin's performance on Sunday week is anywhere close to last Sunday's.

And I'd be worried if we do lose, what our fate in the qualifiers would be. Lose the final and we'll be playing 6 days later with (no disrespect to the teams they're playing in the qualifiers) teams such as Kerry, Tyrone and Kildare waiting. I wouldn't be too confident of picking ourselves up for a game with any of them so soon after losing a final.

pretty much the feeling i have.we left at half time on sunday and i said to my father wed be better off if dublin didnt win giving the way they played.even a draw wouldve done because theyd have lifted it in the replay.now theyre heading in off a performance gilroy can berate them about while were in off our best game in the championship in probably three years.throw in the freak result in 2010 and theyll be gunning for us big time.i thought there was a vote at congress to do away with the 6 day turnaround for provincal losers btw???

Given who we're playing on Sunday fortnight, I thought I'd remind everyone of what happened this day 21 years ago :D:D:D

And if you want to see the goal and winning point with Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh commentary:

A similar game to this in two weeks time would be nice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

whatnext wrote: »

I think Kildare have taken Dublin's place as the darlings of the media and people are getting sick of the hype at this stage. That, combined with the player transfer, led to a whole lot of love around the country for Meath last Sunday.

I think there'll be more of the same for Cavan come next week.

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    .i thought there was a vote at congress to do away with the 6 day turnaround for provincal losers btw???
    I thought that myself as well.

Minors lead 2-8 to 1-4 against Westmeath at half time according to Club na Mí. Looking good for a minor/senior double header in 2 weeks time.

3-14 to 1-7 it ends. Meath play the winners of Kildare/Dublin before the Leinster senior final tomorrow fortnight. Well done to the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Woohoo, thats gonna be some day out.
    Whens the other semi on?
    The good old days of a meath dublin double header in croker.
    Jesus i cant f-ing wait!!!!

The Kildare - Dublin game is in Newbridge on Wednesday. I'd say the winner of that game will definitely be favourites.

The Kildare - Dublin game is in Newbridge on Wednesday. I'd say the winner of that game will definitely be favourites.

Will be a tough one but I think Dublin have the players to beat Kildare n their own patch.Really looking forward to 22nd July.I think it is going to be a great game of football.

Referee for the Leinster final is Martin Duffy. I always wonder what goes through the GAA's minds when they assign referees to games. Duffy refereed the Dublin game in 2009 when he failed to send off Ger Brennan for a punch, blew for full time when we were on the attack (like HT in the Kildare game) and admitted later on that he had added on the incorrect amount of injury time (as far as I remember, that was the game Mark Davoren was seriously injured and needed to be stratchered off).

Referee for the Leinster final is Martin Duffy. I always wonder what goes through the GAA's minds when they assign referees to games. Duffy refereed the Dublin game in 2009 when he failed to send off Ger Brennan for a punch, blew for full time when we were on the attack (like HT in the Kildare game) and admitted later on that he had added on the incorrect amount of injury time (as far as I remember, that was the game Mark Davoren was seriously injured and needed to be stratchered off).

He is also the same referee that sent off James McCarthy against Mayo extremely harshly.The same referee who penalised Barry Cahill for catching a ball cleanly against Tyrone in 2009 in the floodlit match and the same referee who was a sideline official during the 2008 Leinster Final who had a point blank view of Ciaran Whelan getting elbowed in the face and kneed in the stomach by a Wexford player but did nothing but shake his head.

He is a poor referee.Lets just hope that if his refereeing standards come through Sunday week, he is consistently poor to both teams and things even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mattser

He is also the same referee that sent off James McCarthy against Mayo extremely harshly.The same referee who penalised Barry Cahill for catching a ball cleanly against Tyrone in 2009 in the floodlit match and the same referee who was a sideline official during the 2008 Leinster Final who had a point blank view of Ciaran Whelan getting elbowed in the face and kneed in the stomach by a Wexford player but did nothing but shake his head.

He is a poor referee.Lets just hope that if his refereeing standards come through Sunday week, he is consistently poor to both teams and things even out.

I think point blank views, and referees, and Whelan, in the same sentence, are a little out of place on a Meath site. Ask Crawford.

mattser wrote: »
    I think point blank views, and referees, and Whelan, in the same sentence, are a little out of place on a Meath site. Ask Crawford.

Ah leave Cindy alone, I am sure if you ask him he will go deep in thought and go a bit loopy for a while. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

mattser wrote: »

I will never know how he wasn't sent off for that

Advertisement