Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oh yea, and sure when kildare give out about the standard of referees in the country and point out that they are continously making controversial decisions and getting them wrong. We are all told Kildare are whingers.:rolleyes:
    Eh, no. What a certain number of Kildare fans do (but definitely not all) is try and make out that they are constantly on the receiving end of terrible decisions from referees (Down, Dublin, Donegal) and that they never get the rub of the green with referees (while forgetting their goal against Down and the Meath game last year).
    Everyone knows that Collins is a terrible referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

We all know why Collins isn't a fan of Meaths. You can thank Ollie Murphy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

To Alcohol wrote: »
    We all know why Collins isn't a fan of Meaths. You can thank Ollie Murphy for that.

i wouldnt blame ollie murphy for saying it im sure everyone was thinking it.i always thought the "shot the wrong one" comment came from the 2001 all ireland when murphy went off with a broken hand after a galway player drew on the ball as he picked it up.straight in front of the ref too it was and well we know who the ref was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

So, have we ANY chance at all on Sunday?
    Can anyone see us sneaking a win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

So, have we ANY chance at all on Sunday?
    Can anyone see us sneaking a win?

We don't sneak wins, unless it's Louth, and the ref sneaked that one. I can't see us beating Kildare, but who knows ?

Anyway, if Kildare do win, and I think they will, I would love to see them beat the Dubs on the way to winning the All Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You almost beat us last year, and almost beat us this year in the league. Ive a feeling Meath will give us a serious game and have the potential to sneak it. We should have enough to get over the line but I dont think kildare will be taking anything for granted

mattser wrote: »
    We don't sneak wins, unless it's Louth, and the ref sneaked that one. I can't see us beating Kildare, but who knows ?

Anyway, if Kildare do win, and I think they will, I would love to see them beat the Dubs on the way to winning the All Ireland.

I mean "sneak" as in no-one expects us to.
    Certainly I can't see it.

Certainly I can't see it.
    Me neither. Kildare have pretty much a fully fit squad to chose from. Meanwhile, we've the likes of O' Rourke, Kenny, O' Brien, McGuinness, Gilsenan, Walsh and Mark Ward all definitely out, and both Meade and Kevin Reilly possibly/probably out. That's around half of our players missing who would likely be guaranteed starters if fit. Add to that the fact that this will be Bray's first game since returning from injury so he's likely to be ring rusty.
    If we're to have any chance, we're going to need goals. And plenty of them. We'll simply have no chance of keeping up with Kildare's point scoring so we have to hope we take any goal chances that come our way.
    Unfortunately, I think Kildare will be wise to this and will be more than happy to pack the defence and make us shoot from far out.
    The closer the game gets, the more I'm dreading it as I think we could be in for a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Me neither. Kildare have pretty much a fully fit squad to chose from. Meanwhile, we've the likes of O' Rourke, Kenny, O' Brien, McGuinness, Gilsenan, Walsh and Mark Ward all definitely out, and both Meade and Kevin Reilly possibly/probably out. That's around half of our players missing who would likely be guaranteed starters if fit. Add to that the fact that this will be Bray's first game since returning from injury so he's likely to be ring rusty.
    If we're to have any chance, we're going to need goals. And plenty of them. We'll simply have no chance of keeping up with Kildare's point scoring so we have to hope we take any goal chances that come our way.
    Unfortunately, I think Kildare will be wise to this and will be more than happy to pack the defence and make us shoot from far out.
    The closer the game gets, the more I'm dreading it as I think we could be in for a hiding.

What's wrong with Kevin Reilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hammer I really hope your right ;) but can see Meath putting it up to the lily whites due to rivalry being so strong and meaths never give up attitude

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's wrong with Kevin Reilly?
    Rumours doing the rounds that he's injured again. Over the last 2 or 3 years he's been having serious trouble with back injuries so it could be a recurrence of this.
    If he's injured, Brian Menton could fill in and do a decent job on O' Connor, but that would undoubtedly leave acres of space in the half back line for Kildare to run straight through. So if Reilly is injured, it's a choice between curbing O' Connor's influence but allowing Kildare an easy run through the defence or cutting out the Kildare runs but allowing O' Connor free reign in the full forward line to knock high balls down.

And Reilly's injury is confirmed:
    Meath (SFC v Kildare) - D Gallagher, D Keogan, B Menton, C Lenehan, D Tobin, S McAnarney, M Burke, C Gillespie, B Meade, A Forde, D Carroll, G Reilly, B Farrell, J Sheridan, C Ward.
    Think Lenehan was the best choice to replace Reilly but I'd hope he'll play at centre half back.
    Cannot see that team coming anywhere close to beating Kildare on Sunday. Depressing amount of first teamers missing :(

And Reilly's injury is confirmed:

Think Lenehan was the best choice to replace Reilly but I'd hope he'll play at centre half back.
    Cannot see that team coming anywhere close to beating Kildare on Sunday. Depressing amount of first teamers missing :(

Can you give me a quick run through of all the guys that are missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

K Reilly, M Ward, G o Brien, C mcGuinness, P Gilsnean, S Bray, S kenny and S o Rourke :mad:

royaler83 wrote: »
    K Reilly, M Ward, G o Brien, C mcGuinness, P Gilsnean, S Bray, S kenny and S o Rourke :mad:
    And Tom Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

royaler83 wrote: »

Ye are better off without Mark Ward. He's been terrible any time I've seen him play. A major weakness for Meath last year I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

mattser wrote: »

Not going to happen.Even if Kildare were to beat Dublin which I don't think they will, they struggle against the better Ulster teams (Tyrone,Donegal and Down) and I would also fancy Cork to beat them.Mayo and Kerry would also do a job on them I feel.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Not going to happen.Even if Kildare were to beat Dublin which I don't think they will, they struggle against the better Ulster teams (Tyrone,Donegal and Down) and I would also fancy Cork to beat them.Mayo and Kerry would also do a job on them I feel.

That's a really bizarre statement considering how different the styles of the three teams mentioned are - what are you basing it on?

That's a really bizarre statement considering how different the styles of the three teams mentioned are - what are you basing it on?

Black belt is a dub he would hate to see Kildare win an AI!!

I jest blackbelt leave the ban hammer holstered ;)

I don't care how many players Meath are missing I'm still very wary of them

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Ye are better off without Mark Ward. He's been terrible any time I've seen him play. A major weakness for Meath last year I thought.
    To be fair, he was the best of a bad bunch in midfield this season. He did do better than Meade in the league (though Brian Meade has improved in the championship) and I think he's better than Gillespie. Though my first choice midfield if everyone was available would be Shane O' Rourke and Tom Walsh. Hopefully we can keep within a few points for most of the game. If we do, I think bringing on the fresh legs of Peader Byrne and Stephen Bray in the second half will be our only chance.

To be honest, I'm absolutely dreading this game.

Mark Ward is the possibly the most overly criticised Meath player of all time.

He does deserve it a lot of the time to be honest. His tackling is awful. Mark Ward on a yellow card is a disaster waiting to happen. This season, there's been games where he has constantly punched the ball from a kickout, even when he's rising unchallenged. Also, he has an absolutely massive kick on him (I've seen him stick points over from play while standing on the 65) which he very rarely uses (though this could possibly be the fault of those on the sideline).
    Also I've seen several Meath players get worse criticism over the years. I think Cian Ward sometimes gets a lot of unfair stick.

I'm no expert in the Meath county team but do attend a number of club games (mostly junior and intermediate) and have attended a good few county games over the past few years because I've Meath links.

I've always found him poor to be honest and, for me, the criticism has been rightly justified. I have also found Bryan Farrell very poor but I hear he has improved this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Past results. 2010 and 2011 are quite relevent when pointing out how Kildare have fared against the better northern teams.I don;t think it is a bizarre statement at all.

They may be slightly different style but it is still a game of football and you play to your strengths.It is how the other team adapts and counters that that matters.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Past results. 2010 and 2011 are quite relevent when pointing out how Kildare have fared against the better northern teams.I don;t think it is a bizarre statement at all.

They may be slightly different style but it is still a game of football and you play to your strengths.It is how the other team adapts and counters that that matters.

I'd have to agree. Kildare seem to be the media's new poster boys (thanks to the large population there of 200,000 I'd imagine) and a certain myth seems to have grown around the team and the army of robotic-like, unbelievably fit warriors that McGeeney has up there.

Kildare are good but not that good. They scraped past Meath last year and lost to Donegal and Dublin. Mayo and Donegal made better progress IMO yet Kildare are being rated as 4th favourites for the All-Ireland, despite the fact that I'd see the normal Big 3 of Cork, Kerry and Tyrone as now having changed into the Big 4 to include Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have to agree too, I don't see Kildare being as good as the hype, unfortunately I do see them as being a good bit better than Meath and we could be in for a rough game and result this Sunday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

travelling more in hope than expectation on sunday but i just hope to god the lads on the pitch give it a right good rattle.im sick to my back teeth of losing to this overhyped shower and if the players are anyway approaching as annoyed as i am about it theyll put them to the pin of their collars.i just dunno if weve enough in us to win but if were up to full tilt then all it takes is kildare to be slightly off and well do them

rpurfield wrote: »
    travelling more in hope than expectation on sunday but i just hope to god the lads on the pitch give it a right good rattle.im sick to my back teeth of losing to this overhyped shower and if the players are anyway approaching as annoyed as i am about it theyll put them to the pin of their collars.i just dunno if weve enough in us to win but if were up to full tilt then all it takes is kildare to be slightly off and well do them

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    Me too. Although honestly I have very little hope in me to be honest. I can't actually remember the last time I went into a championship game thinking we have so little chance of winning. I've gone to games where I thought we were underdogs (Kerry in 09, Tyrone in 07, even Kildare last year) but I always had a feeling that we could win (and we did against Tyrone). There's none of that for this game. I think Kevin's injury has just knocked the last bit of hope out of me.
    But sure feck it. COME ON THE ROYALS!!!!

Advertisement