Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Super J just played 35 seconds of championship hurling in Kildare which has probably disimproved your chances somewhat!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

keane2097 wrote: »
    Super J just played 35 seconds of championship hurling in Kildare which has probably disimproved your chances somewhat!
    Read that. Hard to believe that a club would allow themselves to be used like that. But if Kildare are that desperate for success then good luck to them.
    Have my doubts that we'll see him tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

keane2097 wrote: »

Be interesting to see what the Sunday Game lads say about it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Me too. Although honestly I have very little hope in me to be honest. I can't actually remember the last time I went into a championship game thinking we have so little chance of winning. I've gone to games where I thought we were underdogs (Kerry in 09, Tyrone in 07, even Kildare last year) but I always had a feeling that we could win (and we did against Tyrone). There's none of that for this game. I think Kevin's injury has just knocked the last bit of hope out of me.
    But sure feck it. COME ON THE ROYALS!!!!

i was feeling the exact same as i have this week in the build up to dublin in 2010 and tyrone in 07, honestly just hoping for a performance ive real hope in some of the young lads for the future and a good performance tomorrow can set them up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

rpurfield wrote: »
    travelling more in hope than expectation on sunday but i just hope to god the lads on the pitch give it a right good rattle.im sick to my back teeth of losing to this overhyped shower and if the players are anyway approaching as annoyed as i am about it theyll put them to the pin of their collars.i just dunno if weve enough in us to win but if were up to full tilt then all it takes is kildare to be slightly off and well do them

LMFAO OH GOD YOUR DILLUSIONAL!!

And overhyped shower screams of bitterness and jealousy tbh

• Advertisement

Read that. Hard to believe that a club would allow themselves to be used like that. But if Kildare are that desperate for success then good luck to them.
    Have my doubts that we'll see him tomorrow though.

Desperate for success??

Tell you something else Meath show there bitter side here today!!

When you were relegated I honestly felt sorry for you but tbh seeing some of the posts here today I honestly hope you stay in div 3 and that's hard for me to say as I had a lot of time for Meath fans before seeing posts like yours and purfields tbh

Desperate for success??

When you were relegated I honestly felt sorry for you but tbh seeing some of the posts here today I honestly hope you stay in div 3 and that's hard for me to say as I had a lot of time for Meath fans before seeing posts like yours and purfields tbh
    Jesus mate, no offence but you're incredibly touchy on this issue.
    And it's nothing to do with bitterness whatsoever. I've said from the start that I was totally against this transfer and I honestly do think that McGeeney (at least) is desperate to get some success with Kildare before he moves on (which I think will be sooner rather than later). Today was just the icing on the cake that Kildare would get a hurling club to start a player and take him off after less than a minute just so he could play county football. Up until today I thought this rumour of him playing hurling was rubbish and that there was no way that Kildare would stoop to that to make Johnston eligible. I was obviously wrong.

It's kind of surprising that you have such a reaction to anything negative said about Kildare. You're really going to grow thicker skin because that certainly won't be the last negative thing said about Kildare in relation to this saga. We had to deal with a hell of a lot more after the 2010 Leinster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Desperate for success??

Jesus mate, no offence but you're incredibly touchy on this issue.
    And it's nothing to do with bitterness whatsoever. I've said from the start that I was totally against this transfer and I honestly do think that McGeeney (at least) is desperate to get some success with Kildare before he moves on (which I think will be sooner rather than later). Today was just the icing on the cake that Kildare would get a hurling club to start a player and take him off after less than a minute just so he could play county football. Up until today I thought this rumour of him playing hurling was rubbish and that there was no way that Kildare would stoop to that to make Johnston eligible. I was obviously wrong.

It's kind of surprising that you have such a reaction to anything negative said about Kildare. You're really going to grow thicker skin because that certainly won't be the last negative thing said about Kildare in relation to this saga. We had to deal with a hell of a lot more after the 2010 Leinster Final.

I have to agree. Kildare people, well on this board anyway, still seem remarkably touchy about a criticism that they have known will be coming for months.

If they win anything and the man himself plays any part in it, their victory will always be tarnished by that criticism.

LMFAO OH GOD YOUR DILLUSIONAL!!

And overhyped shower screams of bitterness and jealousy tbh

so i express an opinion that ye are overhyped and you go off on a rant calling me bitter? ffs thats hoganstand style stuff right there.and how am i delusioned??ive said if the team are half as pissed off at being beaten by kildare theyll run ye close but i doubt well do it.you make no sense at all.for the record i think ye are overhyped as ive yet to see a string of performances or improvement that warrents the constant hype in the papers and media.granted thats not the squads fault but its out there.and if i was going to be petty id point out that if im so jealous im watching the worst run of meath football ive ever watched since i started going to games aged 6 and yet weve won more leinsters since the hype machine went into overdrive on ye than ye have.and off the top of my head been to more all ireland semis too.hell weve even beaten dublin in the championship in that time, so yeah thats real jealousy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Any discussion for the senior championship match can be carried out in the match thread anyone wanting to troll these forums any more will be dealt with in line with the forum charter.

• Advertisement

Dublin in three weeks. Bring em on. They'll be raging hot favourites again but we like that don't we :D
    If both teams play the way they did today, I'd be pretty confident. It'd be nice if we had some of our injured players back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Guys I was very proud of that performance. I honestly did not see it coming. Fair play to all the team and managment. They did us all proud. Great team performance. I cant stop smiling to myself.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Nice to see a bit of pride restored to Meath football. Mind you who am I to be saying that as you beat us (Galway) last year. Its nice to see a manager who was in a corner come out fighting. He's probably going the right way about doing things, with the introduction en mass of youth and with experience on the bench. Hope ye can topple the Dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Nice to see a bit of pride restored to Meath football. Mind you who am I to be saying that as you beat us (Galway) last year. Its nice to see a manager who was in a corner come out fighting. He's probably going the right way about doing things, with the introduction en mass of youth and with experience on the bench. Hope ye can topple the Dubs!

The Meath County Board certainly look very foolish now.I had a feeling that Meath could topple Kildare and I didn't completely buy into the fact they were struggling as much as made out or appeared.

Despite being a Division 3 outfit now, Meath could have some say in the championship if they play consistently like the way they did yesterday.

After coming down from the high of yesterday, I've had a chance to have a think about the performance yesterday. No doubt it was a fantastic performance, the best in a long time, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. The fact still remains that we've had a terrible year and this game doesn't erase the memories of the woeful performances that went before it (Derry, Tyrone, Louth being the worst of the lot).
    Dublin will be a completely different prospect. Menton had a stormer against O'Connor yesterday but it'll be interesting to see how either him or Kevin Reilly get on against McMenamon whom I've been very impressed with over the last year. The half backs/forwards and midfielders will have to be on their toes for Cluxton's quick kickouts which could tire a lot of players out. Basically, we'll have to put in a similar or greater amount of effort to walk away with the Delaney Cup in three weeks time.

So once again, so proud of the performance yesterday. But Dublin will be massive favourites for the final and will be much harder to beat than Kildare. Also, too many times over the years have I seen a magnificent performance from the team (Kerry 2001, Tyrone 2007, Mayo 2009) only to be followed by a terrible one in the following game (Galway 2001, Cork 2007, Kerry 2009). Here's hoping we can keep up this level of performance for the rest of the summer. If we do, we could go a long way :)

On a seperate note, anyone know if there will be a round of county championship games between now and the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

After coming down from the high of yesterday, I've had a chance to have a think about the performance yesterday. No doubt it was a fantastic performance, the best in a long time, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. The fact still remains that we've had a terrible year and this game doesn't erase the memories of the woeful performances that went before it (Derry, Tyrone, Louth being the worst of the lot).
    Dublin will be a completely different prospect. Menton had a stormer against O'Connor yesterday but it'll be interesting to see how either him or Kevin Reilly get on against McMenamon whom I've been very impressed with over the last year. The half backs/forwards and midfielders will have to be on their toes for Cluxton's quick kickouts which could tire a lot of players out. Basically, we'll have to put in a similar or greater amount of effort to walk away with the Delaney Cup in three weeks time.

So once again, so proud of the performance yesterday. But Dublin will be massive favourites for the final and will be much harder to beat than Kildare. Also, too many times over the years have I seen a magnificent performance from the team (Kerry 2001, Tyrone 2007, Mayo 2009) only to be followed by a terrible one in the following game (Galway 2001, Cork 2007, Kerry 2009). Here's hoping we can keep up this level of performance for the rest of the summer. If we do, we could go a long way :)

On a seperate note, anyone know if there will be a round of county championship games between now and the Leinster final.

Completely disagree, who do you think is happier right now, Meath or the teams I have highlighted?

Football is all about the championship, the league is a mear stepping stone for the championship, even the great Mick O Dwyer has stated this. I don't think staying up in div 2 means that Louth or Derry will be happy with their year, in fact it's quite obvious that both have gone backwards.

I generally agree with alot of your posts but you're way off on this one

royaler83 wrote: »
    Completely disagree, who do you think is happier right now, Meath or the teams I have highlighted?

Football is all about the championship, the league is a mear stepping stone for the championship, even the great Mick O Dwyer has stated this. I don't think staying up in div 2 means that Louth or Derry will be happy with their year, in fact it's quite obvious that both have gone backwards.

I generally agree with alot of your posts but you're way off on this one
    Fair enough. I agree that the championship is first and foremost but, for me anyway, I'd always want to be playing in at least division 2 (prefereably division 1) against better quality opposition to build for the championship. I don't think we should be settling for either doing well in the league or championship. We should have performed much better in the league as well as doing what we're doing in the championship.
    Maybe it's just that I'm sick of travelling to every corner of Ireland during the league seeing us regularly get tonked :o

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Fair enough. I agree that the championship is first and foremost but, for me anyway, I'd always want to be playing in at least division 2 (prefereably division 1) against better quality opposition to build for the championship. I don't think we should be settling for either doing well in the league or championship. We should have performed much better in the league as well as doing what we're doing in the championship.
    Maybe it's just that I'm sick of travelling to every corner of Ireland during the league seeing us regularly get tonked :o

If I remember correctly Meath were div 3 or had just been relegated to div 3 when they won the all Ireland in 1996, could be wrong on this though.

Not saying for a minute that we'll win the all Ireland

Looking back lads and well done again but the Kildare team you beat yesterday did not turn up they didn't get out of second gear while the Meath lads played very well Kildare were at best atrocious and I am glad they got that out of system before they possibly might meet a better team I'm not taking from the win I'm just saying you caught Kildare on a terrible day and I think you all know that? The sending off so early into second half too didn't help Kildare and Kildare should have had a free out just before the Meath goal. This game was swung by sending off and the Meath goal that coulda shoulda blah blah blah.

Dublin will be up for this trust me, I can see Meath at best keeping pace with Dublin for majority of the game and I'm hopeful for you but we all know Dublin are first class Kildare could tame them at full roar I feel but I just can't see Meath doing it Dublin are just that much better than yas.

Really do wish you well too I really mean that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Looking back lads and well done again but the Kildare team you beat yesterday did not turn up they didn't get out of second gear
    Kildare were not let out of second gear.

Kildare were at best atrocious and I am glad they got that out of system before they possibly might meet a better team

Lol
    I'm not taking from the win I'm just saying you caught Kildare on a terrible day and I think you all know that? The sending off so early into second half too didn't help Kildare and Kildare should have had a free out just before the Meath goal. This game was swung by sending off and the Meath goal that coulda shoulda blah blah blah.

Haha, sore much?

we all know Dublin are first class Kildare could tame them at full roar I feel but I just can't see Meath doing it Dublin are just that much better than yas.

Meath > Kildare
    Kildare > Dublin
    So Meath > Dublin?

Your logic is as profound as your use of full stops.

No you don't. Don't bang your head on the way in the back door.

• Advertisement

Sykk wrote: »
    Kildare were not let out of second gear.

Lol

Haha, sore much?

Meath > Kildare
    Kildare > Dublin
    So Meath > Dublin?

Your logic is as profound as your use of full stops.

No you don't. Don't bang your head on the way in the back door.
    FYP ;)

Kildare didn't get going it wasn't that they were not let that's silly now come on!

I'll use full stops if I want not because you have OCD

FYP ;)

Actually, you didn't change anything in my post. Rush to edit there :rolleyes:

Sykk wrote: »
    Actually, you didn't change anything in my post. Rush to edit there :rolleyes:

I'll say no more on what that meant ;)

You mad because Meath are better than Kildare? Don't take it out on me ;)

Looking back lads and well done again but the Kildare team you beat yesterday did not turn up they didn't get out of second gear while the Meath lads played very well Kildare were at best atrocious and I am glad they got that out of system before they possibly might meet a better team I'm not taking from the win I'm just saying you caught Kildare on a terrible day and I think you all know that? The sending off so early into second half too didn't help Kildare and Kildare should have had a free out just before the Meath goal. This game was swung by sending off and the Meath goal that coulda shoulda blah blah blah.

Dublin will be up for this trust me, I can see Meath at best keeping pace with Dublin for majority of the game and I'm hopeful for you but we all know Dublin are first class Kildare could tame them at full roar I feel but I just can't see Meath doing it Dublin are just that much better than yas.

It's ironic that a few Kildare fans I know were telling me during the week that they wouldn't need to get out of second gear to beat us easily. And I'd agree that you weren't let get out of second gear. You didn't beat yourselves, our players did.
    Would it not worry you that Kildare were quite easily beaten by Meath when you had more or less a fully fit squad (bar Callaghan who came on late) and we had a massive amount of injuries? This was meant to be the year Kildare finally won something of note under McGeeney but, barring a miracle, this will be his 5th year of winning nothing but an O'Byrne cup and a division 2 league title.
    I do think that Kildare have been hyped up and this game proved that they are not as high up the ladder as many thought. And no offence intended, but you were supposedly at "full roar" the last two times you played Dublin and couldn't "tame them" even when they had a man sent off in both games.
    I really don't think there is a lot between Meath and Kildare. And we're both a good bit behind Dublin, Cork and Kerry.

And as for the red card, the first yellow may have been a touch harsh (although I don't think that was Flynn's first foul) but the challenge for the second was just stupidity of the highest order and he definitely deserved the second yellow.
    And yes there probably should have been a free out instead of a throw up before our goal, but the referee was not to blame for the poor Kildare marking after the throw up. And I feel we would have won anyway even without the goal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Dublin 2/7 7/2 Meath

Donegal 2/9 4/1 Down

Cork 1/100 28/1 Clare

Mayo 1/4 7/2 Sligo

I am not a gambler but anyone think a longshot double on Meath and Down is good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Don't really see why any Kildare fan would think that the only reason they lost is because they had an off day. Sure, they were poor especially in the forward line, but there has been f*ck all between the Meath V Kildare games over the last two or so years, so it's no surprise that Meath finally got the better of them under Banty.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

paul71 wrote: »
    Dublin 2/7 7/2 Meath

Donegal 2/9 4/1 Down

Cork 1/100 28/1 Clare

Mayo 1/4 7/2 Sligo

I am not a gambler but anyone think a longshot double on Meath and Down is good value?

Yea I think it's worth a punt, all on the day it's realistic!

watched the game again this afternoon and i missed how well damien carroll played.well more what i didnt notice when i was at the game is the head up as soon as he has the ball and he never panics in possession.also missed how much work donnacha tobin got through too he had a stormer.

looking forward to the final we need to replicate the intensity for a full 70 minutes to stand any chance.i think yesterdays result with the dubs was the worst we couldve got because they were awful and wexford let them off the hook with a lot of bad wides.they wont be that bad again this year but hopefully the lads go out and stand toe to toe with them and put them to the pin of their collars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Not sure about that bet. I think there's a shock in one of the provincial finals alright, could be Ulster, Connacht or Leinster. Would be surprised if there's two shocks though.

Advertisement