Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think possibly Joe would be best when sprung from the bench. He seems to be carrying a bit of excess weight since returning from the states.
    I see the annual sh¡tefest between Meath and Kildare fans is underway already on Hoganstand. I'll be avoiding that place like the plague for the next two weeks.

As another poster said above, you!d be best off avoid it anyway. Some awful crap posted on there.

I'd be hitting them with one come back anyway - at least we play with a team of Meath men!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Lemlin wrote: »
    As another poster said above, you!d be best off avoid it anyway. Some awful crap posted on there.

I'd be hitting them with one come back anyway - at least we play with a team of Meath men!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jesus lemlin just see the snide Kildare beat down in this post.. Bad form just because Johnston wanted to play for a team that wanted his services after Cavan dropped him you hold it against him?? BITTER BITTER TRIPE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jesus lemlin just see the snide Kildare beat down in this post.. Bad form just because Johnston wanted to play for a team that wanted his services after Cavan dropped him you hold it against him?? BITTER BITTER TRIPE

OK guys this is not happening here.

Had enough of it in the Johnston thread

Felexicon wrote: »
    OK guys this is not happening here.

Had enough of it in the Johnston thread

Mod? Was just pointing out all this anti Kildare crap has to stop

• Advertisement

Mod? Was just pointing out all this anti Kildare crap has to stop
    No not a MOD. But you 2 have had this arguement over and over again on other threads. I've even agreed with a lot of your points in those discussions. This however is a Meath GAA thread and Seanie Johnstons transfer has no relevance here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No not a MOD. But you 2 have had this arguement over and over again on other threads. I've even agreed with a lot of your points in those discussions. This however is a Meath GAA thread and Seanie Johnstons transfer has no relevance here
    Agreed.
    Rumours are that Kevin Reilly may be injured again. I hope this is just mind games because our chances of winning on Sunday week are all but gone if Kevin Reilly is out.
    I think we'll have to bag at least a couple of goals in the game if we're going to win it. Hopefully Cian Ward gets in one of his rare goalscoring moods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Tickets on sale tomorrow.
    Really cant see us beating them tbh.
    So pisssed off being beaten by Kildare, would give anything, anything to make the Leinster final.

Tickets on sale tomorrow.
    Really cant see us beating them tbh.
    So pisssed off being beaten by Kildare, would give anything, anything to make the Leinster final.

Yeah I probably see this as our biggest hurdle to get over. We've been so close the last couple of games but have lacked that killer instinct. Need a masive performance from both half lines in order to stop easy scores for Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Even a late penalty try..............again ;)

• Advertisement

dcr22B wrote: »
    Even a late penalty try..............again ;)
    Against Kildare? I would love it tbh. If that makes me a dickhe4d then so be it

What's snide about it? How is it bitter or tripe? Kildare have recruited a player from another county and, if they win anything this year, their fans had better be ready for the negative comments that are going to arise from it.

I had hoped to attend the Meath Kildare game but it clashes with the Cavan game do I won't be in attendance. Is it on Tv? Could record it.

What's snide about it? How is it bitter or tripe? Kildare have recruited a player from another county and, if they win anything this year, their fans had better be ready for the negative comments that are going to arise from it.

I had hoped to attend the Meath Kildare game but it clashes with the Cavan game do I won't be in attendance. Is it on Tv? Could record it.

I'd say it is on TV as it starts at 2 and the Dublin game is on TV3 so RTE should the early one.

Looking at the other games on the same day, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on TV.
    Referee is confirmed as Michael Collins. Again :( I'm sick of the sight of him at this stage (well, moreso than I was before).

RIP Peter Burke of Blackhall Gaels. Cousin of Mickey Burke supposedly.
    http://hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=171705

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'd say it is on TV as it starts at 2 and the Dublin game is on TV3 so RTE should the early one.

Yip, bang on, TV3 have the Dubs.
    RTE showing our game
    http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/leinster/
    (scroll down)

Got my tickets today.
    Cant wait.
    Oh the naivety :D

Think you will find Johnston instigated the transfer to try get away from a terrible cavan team, know few of Kevin's players and Johnston said he instigated the transfer not anyone from Kildare setup!

Sure IF Kildare win something and IF Johnston plays a part I'll be sure to post pics of it on Cavan board just for you being a bitter fan!!!

You should direct your negativity towards Cavan camp lemlin it's not kildares fault ye wouldn't kick snow off a rope!!! Also if u wanna stArt **** bout Kildare use the Kildare thread not fair the Meath lads having to see this **** tbh!!

Apologies to Meath fans here

Terrible tragedy, to all that knew him and his family I'm sorry for your loss

Think you will find Johnston instigated the transfer to try get away from a terrible cavan team, know few of Kevin's players and Johnston said he instigated the transfer not anyone from Kildare setup!

Sure IF Kildare win something and IF Johnston plays a part I'll be sure to post pics of it on Cavan board just for you being a bitter fan!!!

You should direct your negativity towards Cavan camp lemlin it's not kildares fault ye wouldn't kick snow off a rope!!! Also if u wanna stArt **** bout Kildare use the Kildare thread not fair the Meath lads having to see this **** tbh!!

Apologies to Meath fans here

What's the problem here? As I said above, Kildare fans are going to have to get used to that particular criticism. I'll move this over to the Kildare thread now for the rest of my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

if collins is the ref on sunday im writing it off before we step foot in croker.not a dig at kildare because anytime he refs us no matter who the opposition is he their 16th man.honestly the worst ref ive ever seen referee inter county football

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    if collins is the ref on sunday im writing it off before we step foot in croker.not a dig at kildare because anytime he refs us no matter who the opposition is he their 16th man.honestly the worst ref ive ever seen referee inter county football
    Agreed. After what happened against Donegal in 2002, I'm amazed he still gets Meath games. Can you imagine the uproar if Martin Sludden got another Louth game?
    This will be the third game of ours he's refereed this season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Referee is confirmed as Michael Collins. Again :( I'm sick of the sight of him at this stage (well, moreso than I was before).

Thats a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scandy

Peter is my cousin. A decent, honest young man who has been taken so tragically and way too soon from his family.

As a Burke, it is destined for us that GAA is an integral part all our lives. Clubs like Blackhall Gaels, Longwood and Bective can vouch for this! Peter played juvenile hurling for Meath while his father Jimmy played senior football with Meath in the 70's. His sister Jane has been a mainstay of the Meath ladies football team for many a year. His uncle Michael, Stoney Burke to many and Mickey Burke's father, played minor and senior championship football for Meath on the same day in the 1950's. The tradition continues today as our cousin Michael is currently and integral part of the current Meath senior team.

He isn't home with us yet, probably won't be back with us until Thursday, but please keep his family in your thoughts at this time. They will need all the help and support of the GAA community to help them through their this difficult period.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

Agreed. After what happened against Donegal in 2002, I'm amazed he still gets Meath games. Can you imagine the uproar if Martin Sludden got another Louth game?
    This will be the third game of ours he's refereed this season so far.

What happened in '02 that you refer to?
    Some of the choice re referees always amaze me. For example, Cormac O'Reilly is often given Cavan games. For me, as Meath border Cavan, he shouldn't be refereeing a game involving a bordering county, even if they are in a different province.

There was uproar in the U21 semi final this year when he gave Roscommon 35 frees over the course of the game and Cavan less than ten. Then he was given the Donegal match to ref!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Some of the choice re referees always amaze me. For example, Cormac O'Reilly is often given Cavan games. For me, as Meath border Cavan, he shouldn't be refereeing a game involving a bordering county, even if they are in a different province.

There was uproar in the U21 semi final this year when he gave Roscommon 35 frees over the course of the game and Cavan less than ten. Then he was given the Donegal match to ref!

my father would argue cormac shouldnt even get club games in meath :D

just on the collins thing i used to think it was just me but i got talking to some of the lads i work with about the longford wexford draw in croker.now these lads were all dubs that went in early to watch it and even they were giving out about him.we cant all be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

rpurfield wrote: »
    just on the collins thing i used to think it was just me but i got talking to some of the lads i work with about the longford wexford draw in croker.now these lads were all dubs that went in early to watch it and even they were giving out about him.we cant all be wrong
    Never forget the day he was reffing a Dubs match and having his usual mare, cue one Dubs shouting from the stand:

"Jesus Christ Collins, I think they shot the wrong one"

A lot of jaws were in agony from all the laughter, he's useless.

scandy wrote: »
    Peter is my cousin. A decent, honest young man who has been taken so tragically and way too soon from his family.

As a Burke, it is destined for us that GAA is an integral part all our lives. Clubs like Blackhall Gaels, Longwood and Bective can vouch for this! Peter played juvenile hurling for Meath while his father Jimmy played senior football with Meath in the 70's. His sister Jane has been a mainstay of the Meath ladies football team for many a year. His uncle Michael, Stoney Burke to many and Mickey Burke's father, played minor and senior championship football for Meath on the same day in the 1950's. The tradition continues today as our cousin Michael is currently and integral part of the current Meath senior team.

He isn't home with us yet, probably won't be back with us until Thursday, but please keep his family in your thoughts at this time. They will need all the help and support of the GAA community to help them through their this difficult period.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.
    Condolences to you and your extended family. Gaelic games really gets put into perspective at times like these. The Burkes really are great servants to Meath GAA.

He was an absolute disaster in our game against Donegal in 2002. It wasn't a dirty game but he booked over half of our players while letting Donegal players away with similar offences. Ollie Murphy actually got banned for 3 months after that game for making the same comment that dcr mentioned. Since that game (and the abuse that he got from players/supporters) he seems to have it in for us.
    He's just completely inconsistent. He seems to pick a team/player he'll referee strictly and let everything else go. Against Kildare earlier this year, he penalised Mickey Burke 3 or 4 times in the first 15 minutes for an illegal handpass yet didn't penalise any others despite countless other instances from both sides. It'll be interesting to see what team/offence he's going to pick on come Sunday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Oh yea, and sure when kildare give out about the standard of referees in the country and point out that they are continously making controversial decisions and getting them wrong. We are all told Kildare are whingers.:rolleyes: The standard has to improve. Hopefully a team wont be knocked out this year down to a controversial decision. To much work, commitment and dedication to it to come down to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Oh yea, and sure when kildare give out about the standard of referees in the country and point out that they are continously making controversial decisions and getting them wrong. We are all told Kildare are whingers.:rolleyes: The standard has to improve. Hopefully a team wont be knocked out this year down to a controversial decision. To much work, commitment and dedication to it to come down to that.

i think the general consensus here is Collins is a poor referee no matter who plays...wait and see his decisions this weekend.

Advertisement