Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

buckwheat wrote: »
    I will never know how he wasn't sent off for that
    Simply because it was 2 seconds into the game and the referee totally bottled the decision. Even Whelan himself knew he should have walked.
    To say Whelan was not my favourite Dublin player in the world would be the understatement of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Referee for the Leinster final is Martin Duffy. ......

Damn .. that is disappointing. Really looking forward to the game ... this is the biggest game played in Leinster championships - with the possible exception of Kilkenny/Wexford (when Wexford had a decent hurling team). Marty has a habit of ruining the occasion by becoming the talking point ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mattser wrote: »
    I think point blank views, and referees, and Whelan, in the same sentence, are a little out of place on a Meath site. Ask Crawford.
    Or nip over to Mayo and ask Ronan McGarrity.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Simply because it was 2 seconds into the game and the referee totally bottled the decision. Even Whelan himself knew he should have walked.
    To say Whelan was not my favourite Dublin player in the world would be the understatement of the century.

Have to agree with this point and Blackbelt will know I made the same comment on this board on numerous occasions - referees almost seemed afraid to send the poster boy of The Hill off.

I'll always see Whelan as a player who was fond of throwing sly digs and who was found wanting when Dublin really needed him. Great against a Roscommon or a Sligo but missing in action against Armagh, Tyrone or Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

Lemlin wrote: »
    Have to agree with this point and Blackbelt will know I made the same comment on this board on numerous occasions - referees almost seemed afraid to send the poster boy of The Hill off.

I'll always see Whelan as a player who was fond of throwing sly digs and who was found wanting when Dublin really needed him. Great against a Roscommon or a Sligo but missing in action against Armagh, Tyrone or Kerry.

I don't like being spiteful or vindictive to any player, but let's just say it gives me great pleasure that Whelan has the same number of Senior All Ireland medals as I have. Zippo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Lemlin wrote: »

Ugh this again. You are like Captain Kirk and the Klingons, just let it go man.

I wonder what the odds are on there being a sending off in this game?

blackbelt wrote: »
    ............I wonder what the odds are on there being a sending off in this game?

Lessened by the fact DC is missing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

So lads just wondering what would be an acceptable result for Meath on Sunday week. Are we realistically demanding a victory or is following up a great victory over Kildare with a spirited in defeat showing against the dubs enough for this year. I know form is out the window when it’s Meath – Dublin but at the end of the day they are all-Ireland champions and we are stuck in div 3…

PaddyCar wrote: »
    So lads just wondering what would be an acceptable result for Meath on Sunday week. Are we realistically demanding a victory or is following up a great victory over Kildare with a spirited in defeat showing against the dubs enough for this year. I know form is out the window when it’s Meath – Dublin but at the end of the day they are all-Ireland champions and we are stuck in div 3…
    We should not (and hopefully will not) go into the game thinking "Well sure it's great that we got this far". However I don't think we should be "demanding" a victory. As you said, they're All Ireland champions and we're in division 3 and still with a good few injuries (though perhaps they were a blessing in disguise against Kildare).
    I'd simply demand a performance at least to the level of the Kildare game. If we do that and don't come out on top, then fair enough, Dublin will most likely have to have put in a good performance to beat us. But if we put in a performance like we did in the Dublin game in 2009 (which Duffy also refereed) I'd be disgusted. If Dublin are there for the taking on Sunday week and we fail to beat them, that would be unacceptable.

Slightly unrelated, here's highlights of the minors' win on Saturday evening:

Just read this report on the county board meeting from Monday night:
    http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=173111

I actually feel like banging my head against a wall when I hear some of the stuff the county board comes out with.
    Things like "it's great to see Meath football up where it should be" really infuriates me. Meath football "should" not be anywhere. We don't have a divine right to be in minor and senior Leinster finals. We will get to finals if the work is put in but that hasn't been done by this county board. They were around during the glory days and they just seemed to presume that they would continue no matter what.
    "We must be doing something right" makes them sound like they haven't got a breeze what they're doing.

I also chuckled at them "putting the boot" into people who were knocking the team before the championship. Can they really not see the irony in what they say?

• Advertisement

I do not know if Dermot Connollys red card is necessarily a disaster but the likes of Kilkenny can be brought in and he would trouble any defense in the country and I want to see him make the grade at senior level.Even O Gara who had found some form can link up play with Bernard Brogan and cause some issues for the Meath defence.

I can't envisage us missing as many chances as we did against Wexford though it is not strange for us to follow up one bad performance with a worse performance.

............ it is not strange for us to follow up one bad performance with a worse performance.

Meath/Tipperary in 2010 springs to mind. Going on previous performance and current form I don't think Bernard will get too much change from Kevin Reilly which will put the onus on others to step up - I'd love to see Kilkenny start but i have a feeling that O'Gara & BB will be the full forward line, with McMenamon roving - which begs the question whether Menton will man mark him or act as additional cover. Menton was exceptional on both O'Connor and Early, but McMenamon is a different proposition. If there's to be a red card, it's more than likely to be 2 yellows with the breakdown @ half forward/half back line being pivotal and most likely to yield the indiscipline. If I was a betting man *cough* - Mickey Burke or Paul Flynn :pac:

Looks more and more likely that it'll be a Meath - Dublin double header. Well into the second half in the other minor semi final and Dublin are 6 points to the good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Dublin minors win, so officially a Meath v Dublin double! Exciting stuff.

Good luck to the Meath Ladies in the Leinster Final this Sunday too!

The U21 hurlers are also into the Leinster A Final after beating Wicklow 4-22 to 0-4. The final is this day two weeks time and they'll play the winners of Westmeath - Kildare which is played tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭GaughMan

Was just wondering does anyone here know any shops that have flags and bunting for sale?I have my flag up since May but I want to stick another one up and do up the house for the Final!! Any help appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

GaughMan wrote: »
    Was just wondering does anyone here know any shops that have flags and bunting for sale?I have my flag up since May but I want to stick another one up and do up the house for the Final!! Any help appreciated :-)

i was told heatons in navan anyway im taking a trip over on saturday morning myself, ive had the flag out since may as well but three dublin flags sprung up on the road the last week ones even on a big bloody pole so i need to up the ante :D

there is a lad in lobinstown who sells a great selection of meath flags, bunting etc. not sure of his exact location but think he is near the post office in the village

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

GaughMan wrote: »

Your best bet is to probably head down to Killarney or Tralee, they have plenty of them down there every year, the Meath ones are probably a bit moth damaged at this stage and shur the colours are nearly the same ;)

There's always the green/yellow sillage bags nailed to the telephone poles if yiz a really stuck !

• Advertisement

any further word on joe sheridan or kevin reillys enjuries?

any further word on joe sheridan or kevin reillys injuries?

Your best bet is to probably head down to Killarney or Tralee, they have plenty of them down there every year, the Meath ones are probably a bit moth damaged at this stage and shur the colours are nearly the same ;)

There is also Leitrim which is geographically closer and linked with Meath with the migration of farmers in the very past (Hello Colm O Rourke).Since Leitrim are playing Wicklow in the qualifiers this weekend, it will be a good chance for Meath folk to rob their flags. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

There is also Leitrim which is geographically closer and linked with Meath with the migration of farmers in the very past (Hello Colm O Rourke).Since Leitrim are playing Wicklow in the qualifiers this weekend, it will be a good chance for Meath folk to rob their flags. :D

Ah yeah but them flags never won anything Meath are on the crest of a wave here they want winning flags :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A Dub calling a Meath men robbers!!

Hello Pot
    This is Kettle
    You're black

Felexicon wrote: »
    A Dub calling a Meath men robbers!!

Hello Pot
    This is Kettle
    You're black

Lets not go down that road you know this conversation can only go.

David Bray made an appearance as a substitute in the Feis Cup for O'Mahony's last night. It was his first appearance since his second cruciate ligament injury. Such a shame that he's had such trouble with injuries. He really looked like he was going to be a fantastic player for us back in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

DoctaDee wrote: »
    There's always the green/yellow sillage bags nailed to the telephone poles if yiz a really stuck !

ah them were the days, ya cant get the coloured fertilizer bags anymore as far as i know!!i remember going out in 99 doing a heap of poles around the parents house got green and gold spray paint and sprayed the road out the front green and gold, two days later the council surfaced it for the first time in about 20 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

Why does ticketmaster only have tickets for a small few (bad) sections of croke park? surely it wont be a sellout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Why does ticketmaster only have tickets for a small few (bad) sections of croke park? surely it wont be a sellout?

Would you not look into getting tickets from local club? Or are u involved with a club??

Advertisement