Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well saying Carlow won't trouble you is silly felex, it was Wicklow that Meath beat not Dublin. Wicklow are not miles better than Carlow and besides that Carlow should be respected!

Well done to Meath, nice to see you get a result!
    Yeah maybe so but I'd definitely expect us to beat them with a bit to spare. I mean after a poor start we put a 10 point swing on Wiclow. Can't see us having that bad of a start again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well saying Carlow won't trouble you is silly felex, it was Wicklow that Meath beat not Dublin. Wicklow are not miles better than Carlow and besides that Carlow should be respected!

Well done to Meath, nice to see you get a result!
    Well with all due respect, the league table this season begs to differ that Wicklow aren't miles better than Carlow. By all means we'll show them respect, but personally it would be the shock of the century so far if we managed to lose to Carlow, even in our current inconsistent form. Similarly, I'd be amazed if Offaly got anywhere near yourselves in your game.

Agree about the frees/sidelines Felex. Two of Wicklow's first half points came directly from our sideline ball inside our own 21 yard line. We just kicked it directly to a Wicklow player and conceded a point.
    There seemed to be a lot of niggly injuries to a lot of players throughout the game. Cian Ward seemed to injure his hand in the tangle that injured Leighton Glynn and Graham Reilly had the stuffing knocked out of him after being fouled in the second half (ironically, that foul on Reilly was worse than the foul that supposedly warranted a straight red card for the hurlers the day before).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's not much between Carlow and Wicklow in my analysis Hammer, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Was at this game yesterday as it was 5 mins away from my house.

Enjoyed 1st half, but 2nd half was poor enough. Wouldn't be too impressed with either side.

Wicklow raced ahead, but were helped but some shocking play by Meath. 1 point in particular was a joke. A sideline ball by Meath was kicked straight into the hands of a Wicklow guy running on to it, and he slotted it over.

Meath kinda took over around mf, and once ye got back to within a pt at ht...it was obvious who was going to win.

Once Glynn went off, any hope Wicklow had vanished. The winning of this game was switching Meade and G Reilly.
    Meade won a lot of kick outs, Reilly ran past his slow mf opponent. And we in the stand cud see what was goin on..but seems the Wicklow management didn't.

Was amazing, and it was easy for Meath with that happening!

Next day up its Carlow, and we expect to lose, ye expect to win easily and thats probably what'll happen.

But only difference will be that Brendan Murphy and Foley/Jackson would destroy that Meath mf. And if that Meade/Reilly switch is made again even Luke Dempsey shud be able to cop that.

But can see Meath fwds strolling thru Carlows weak defence and our lack of scoring forwards killing us too.

Looking forward to it all the same. Just hope we are not hammered.

Can see you midfield causing us problems alright steve. But hopefully Tom Walsh is back in time as I think he's our best option at midfield at the moment (with Shane O Rourke being a long term absentee). Hopefully there's two wins for the boys in green that day :D

I see Caoimhín King has left the panel due to a disagreement with Banty. Pity as I think he's a very good player to have as backup while not necessarily good enough to start.
    Rumour has it McGeeney has already been onto him *runs for cover* :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Can see you midfield causing us problems alright steve. But hopefully Tom Walsh is back in time as I think he's our best option at midfield at the moment (with Shane O Rourke being a long term absentee). Hopefully there's two wins for the boys in green that day :D

I see Caoimhín King has left the panel due to a disagreement with Banty. Pity as I think he's a very good player to have as backup while not necessarily good enough to start.
    Rumour has it McGeeney has already been onto him *runs for cover* :pac:

Mcgeeney only poaches players with serious talent or from high profile counties ;)

Mcgeeney only poaches players with serious talent or from high profile counties ;)
    LOL!!!!!!
    Fairly disappointed King is gone tbh. He's been a great servant over the years and on his day is a fine half back

Rumour is that Seamus Kenny is out for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Rumour is that Seamus Kenny is out for the season.

Yeah he has been ruled out for the season...he has ruptured his cruciate ligament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i was reading alan forde is doubtful for carlow too with the hamstring but paddy gilsenan was on the bench on sunday so he should be ok.seamie will be a big loss but i thought donal keoghan really done well when he came in for him and i have to say i thought donnacha tobin and kevin reilly had good games too.well be in trouble with them kickouts against a decent midfield taking all day to kick it then just lashing it in the air well be swallowed up.

what did ye think of mark collins?i thought he was quiet enough but on watching the sunday game it was him making the space for biggie to run into from midfield for his points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A quick turn-about from Mr King perhaps.

rpurfield wrote: »
    i was reading alan forde is doubtful for carlow too with the hamstring but paddy gilsenan was on the bench on sunday so he should be ok.seamie will be a big loss but i thought donal keoghan really done well when he came in for him and i have to say i thought donnacha tobin and kevin reilly had good games too.well be in trouble with them kickouts against a decent midfield taking all day to kick it then just lashing it in the air well be swallowed up.

what did ye think of mark collins?i thought he was quiet enough but on watching the sunday game it was him making the space for biggie to run into from midfield for his points.

Paddy Gilsenan was not on the bench on Sunday.

He was constantly warming up and going through some strenght exercises. Looked to be in good shape hopefully he's back for the Carlow game.

I'd like to see alot of variation in the kickouts, maybe try a few short ones to stop Carlow completely packing midfield

keane2097 wrote: »
    A quick turn-about from Mr King perhaps.
    I hope so. I really do think he's a better player than he's given credit for. Also half back is his best position and he hasn't got to play there much in the last few years as he's been covering at full back and even in at full forward for a few games

Felexicon wrote: »
    Paddy Gilsenan was not on the bench on Sunday.

He was constantly warming up and going through some strenght exercises. Looked to be in good shape hopefully he's back for the Carlow game.

I'd like to see alot of variation in the kickouts, maybe try a few short ones to stop Carlow completely packing midfield

he spent the whole second half "warming up" he was a late addition as he was wearing 27 and the subs only went to 26 either ways i hope hes fit for the carlow game as we need all we can get now with the injury run

Anyone else think it may be best to start with the team (with Keoghan in for Kenny obviously) that started on Sunday and bring the likes of Bray and Gilsenan on later. The last thing I'd want to see is either of them injured yet again by being rushed back.

Third game against Wicklow in 5 days brought a second win for us. The Juniors won 1-16 to 2-4 in Navan. It looks like its an extremely young squad they have. Kildare up next in 2 weeks.

Anyone else think it may be best to start with the team (with Keoghan in for Kenny obviously) that started on Sunday and bring the likes of Bray and Gilsenan on later. The last thing I'd want to see is either of them injured yet again by being rushed back.

Third game against Wicklow in 5 days brought a second win for us. The Juniors won 1-16 to 2-4 in Navan. It looks like its an extremely young squad they have. Kildare up next in 2 weeks.

yeah it looked a young enough team, i seen some lads on it i refereed at u14 level and felt old.did ya go over to it?

yeah it looked a young enough team, i seen some lads on it i refereed at u14 level and felt old.did ya go over to it?
    Unfortunately not. I'm currently living behind enemy lines in Dublin so getting out during the week is difficult. Surprised Justin Carry Lynch was on the junior bench as well as the senior one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Unfortunately not. I'm currently living behind enemy lines in Dublin so getting out during the week is difficult. Surprised Justin Carry Lynch was on the junior bench as well as the senior one.

I know a few lads who were at it and said Daragh McNamara from Drumbaragh ws the star of the show. Apparently he scored 1-5.

I've seen him play before and he looked decent. Plenty of speed but he looked a bit small and light for a Meath footballer. He has obvious talent though and I understand he was with some of the Louth Eircom League teams for a while.

I've heard Carry Lynch is sub goalie for the seniors and was sub midfielder for the juniors last night.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I know a few lads who were at it and said Daragh McNamara from Drumbaragh ws the star of the show. Apparently he scored 1-5.

I've seen him play before and he looked decent. Plenty of speed but he looked a bit small and light for a Meath footballer. He has obvious talent though and I understand he was with some of the Louth Eircom League teams for a while.

I've heard Carry Lynch is sub goalie for the seniors and was sub midfielder for the juniors last night.

bit mad that knocking around two panels and not getting games as such.its no use to lads all summer training and not a game in sight

Our game against Carlow in Tullamore has been moved forward to 2pm on Sunday. The Wexford - Longford replay is now on after our game.
    Delighted with this as it means everyone can get home in plenty of time for the Ireland game that evening.

The Dubs looked ominously good yesterday for their first game of the championship. Though it's hard to believe that we managed to be destroyed by that same Louth team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Our game against Carlow in Tullamore has been moved forward to 2pm on Sunday. The Wexford - Longford replay is now on after our game.
    Delighted with this as it means everyone can get home in plenty of time for the Ireland game that evening.

The Dubs looked ominously good yesterday for their first game of the championship. Though it's hard to believe that we managed to be destroyed by that same Louth team.

Err, except for Wexford fans?

And Dublin got crushed into dust by Mayo a little over a month ago, they had some missing player sure, but every year early season throws up plenty of aberrations, beating an off-key Louth side will count for very little against a game Longford or Wexford or Kildare (probably) down the line, two of whom had Dublin for the taking less than twelve months ago.

Syferus wrote: »
    Err, except for Wexford fans?

And Dublin got crushed into dust by Mayo a little over a month ago, they had some missing player sure, but every year early season throws up plenty of aberrations, beating an off-key Louth side will count for very little against a game Longford or Wexford or Kildare (probably) down the line, two of whom had Dublin for the taking less than twelve months ago.
    But this is a Meath supporters forum.

I agree with the point about Dublin. I didn't think they were very impressive yesterday. I thought Louth had no game plan despite all the talk by Peter Fitzpatrick before the game.
    I'd imagine they have more competeitive training sessions tbh. That game will have done nothing for Dublin in regards to knowing how close to top form they are.

tullamores hard enough to get in and out of without throwing a second game into it.

tullamores hard enough to get in and out of without throwing a second game into it.
    The last game I went to in Tullamore was the Laois game 2 years ago. I remember the Tullamore exit on the M6 was ridiculously busy so we went to the Tubber exit and went from there. Got a parking space right in the town centre about a 10 minute walk from the pitch. Going home, I saw cars a good 30/40 minute walk from the ground coming from the Tullamore exit. So maybe taking the Tubber exit would be better if it's busy.

The last game I went to in Tullamore was the Laois game 2 years ago. I remember the Tullamore exit on the M6 was ridiculously busy so we went to the Tubber exit and went from there. Got a parking space right in the town centre about a 10 minute walk from the pitch. Going home, I saw cars a good 30/40 minute walk from the ground coming from the Tullamore exit. So maybe taking the Tubber exit would be better if it's busy.

thats exactly my point, we got there early enough and parked about five minutes from the ground, which was grand cos the fathers 73 so walking isnt his strong point but coming home there was cars parked two or three mile from the ground.gonna be worse with two games in though id imagine carlow and wexford would be coming from the other side of tullamore from ourselves more or less

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

thats exactly my point, we got there early enough and parked about five minutes from the ground, which was grand cos the fathers 73 so walking isnt his strong point but coming home there was cars parked two or three mile from the ground.gonna be worse with two games in though id imagine carlow and wexford would be coming from the other side of tullamore from ourselves more or less

We had to park pretty much on the M6 turn-off on u21 AI final day, and we were far from late.

The strangest sight is the friendly Tullamorians with their (surely illegal) barriers and high visibility jackets watching every supporter like they're about to rob their gaff of its copper piping and sell their dogs into slavery.

Still, there was places left in the ground car park itself when we got in, so if you need a close spot it's worth chancing your arm going in there as most abandon ship long before they get anywhere near the ground.

Interview with Seamus Kenny on Hoganstand regarding his injury.
    http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=170804
    I think he'll be a massive loss if we get over Carlow on Sunday and assuming we meet Kildare again. His blood injury was what lost us the qualifier last year as Emmet Bolton (his man) went on to score the winning goal. I hope to God that this isn't the last we see of him in green and gold. For the best part of 10 years he's been one of our most consistent performers and the bravery he shows in attempting to win possession is second to none.

Anyway, the team for Sunday has been named:
    Meath (SFC v Carlow) - D Gallagher, D Keoghan, K Reilly, B Menton, D Tobin, S McAnarney, M Burke, C Gillespie, B Meade, A Forde, S Bray, G Reilly, B Farrell, J Sheridan, C Ward.
    Only changes are Keoghan in for Kenny and Bray replacing Collins. Though there's considerable positional changes in the backline. Not too sure on McAnarney at half back. I think Menton is our best option there. Teams tend to run right through the middle of us when Menton isn't at half back.

And finally, there's a full round of championship games the following weekend. Looks like the county board are determined to keep the league and championship ticking along nicely.

Every time I think Meath football can't fall any lower, they get out a shovel. Carlow threw that game away and deserved to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Final score. Carlow 1-12 Meath 1-12. Replay now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Every time I think Meath football can't fall any lower, they get out a shovel. Carlow threw that game away and deserved to win.

3rd worst team in the league...only London and Kilkenny finished below Carlow....Meath players and management should be ashamed of themselves today.

Advertisement