Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oh Christ :(
    Bray misses out for Meath
    One of the few players to come out of the league with any credit whatsoever. Hopefully it's only minor and he'll be back for the next game (which I hope to be Carlow).

Oh dear. Go put yer money on Wicklow. The team's been named:
    1. D.Gallagher
    2. M.Burke
    3. K.Reilly
    4. S.McAnarney
    5. D.Tobin,
    6. B.Menton
    7. S.Kenny
    8. C.Gillespie
    9. B.Meade
    10. A.Forde
    11. M.Collins
    12. G.Reilly
    13. B.Farrell
    14. J.Sheridan
    15. C.Ward

Subs: J.Carry-Lynch, C.King, E.Harrington, C.O'Connor, E.Reilly, B.Sheridan, J.Queeney, P.Byrne, D.Carroll, D.Keogan, C.Lenehan
    Gilsenan, Bray, Walsh, Ward, McGuinness and O' Brien all out injured (as well as O' Rourke).
    That's a very poor forward line compared to what we're used to. Obviously Cian can be hit or miss, Farrell hasn't really impressed me in the past 3/4 years and neither Mark Collins or Alan Forde have had a lot of run outs in the league. The midfield situation speaks for itself.
    Have a horrible feeling about Sunday now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Lots of unfamiliar names there alright, but I think Meath will beat Wicklow (who are no world beaters themselves). Meath always come alive in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Oh Christ :(
    Bray misses out for Meath
    One of the few players to come out of the league with any credit whatsoever. Hopefully it's only minor and he'll be back for the next game (which I hope to be Carlow).

Your next game will be in the qualifiers, Meath are only a stepping stone for the Garden County.

Hes small hes round he scores at every ground Seanie Furlong Seanie Furlong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

[Quote=ebbsy;78858322

Your next game will be in the qualifiers, Meath are only a stepping stone for the Garden County.

Hes small hes round he scores at every ground Seanie Furlong Seanie Furlong[/Quote]
    LOL!! Nice try mate but obvious is obvious

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    LOL!! Nice try mate but obvious is obvious

Could be a cracker lads.

ebbsy wrote: »

Could be a cracker lads.
    True but the idea of Meath being a stepping stone for Wicklow is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

True but the idea of Meath being a stepping stone for Wicklow is laughable

Wicklow have clocked teams bigger than Meath in recent years. The fact is it's two years at the same tier (D3) with one on a massive low and one on a high. I can't imagine they'll be throwing out too much confetti in Aughrim if they win.

Syferus wrote: »
    Wicklow have clocked teams bigger than Meath in recent years. The fact is it's two years at the same tier (D3) with one on a massive low and one on a high. I can't imagine they'll be throwing out too much confetti in Aughrim if they win.
    Of course they would. Winning any championship game would be considered a huge achievement in Wicklow. Especially given the fact that they'd rightfully fancy thier chances in the next round. My point was that Wicklow are not going into this game looking at Meath as a stepping stone as that would imply it was a foregone conclusion that Wicklow would win the game. And so what if they've beaten bigger teams than Meath. Meath have certainly beaten bigger teams than Wicklow

Of course they would. Winning any championship game would be considered a huge achievement in Wicklow. Especially given the fact that they'd rightfully fancy thier chances in the next round. My point was that Wicklow are not going into this game looking at Meath as a stepping stone as that would imply it was a foregone conclusion that Wicklow would win the game. And so what if they've beaten bigger teams than Meath. Meath have certainly beaten bigger teams than Wicklow

A few years ago it would have been a huge achievement for Wicklow. Now I'm not so sure.

And after this we will give Carlow a good mullering as well.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    A few years ago it would have been a huge achievement for Wicklow. Now I'm not so sure.

And after this we will give Carlow a good mullering as well.
    Oh right because you have won so many championship games in the last few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a7k10rf6z8buel

Very unfamiliar looking half forward line, at least at a championship level. Think this game is gonna be very tight. Hopefully we'll shade it...

Im surprised ye got rid of Eamonn O'Brien a few years ago ??????

Very unfamiliar looking half forward line, at least at a championship level. Think this game is gonna be very tight. Hopefully we'll shade it...
    Yeah it is. I've seen Alan Forde a few times and he looks decent. It could work in our favour to be giving a few new lads a run out as one of the things that struck most people about the league campaign was that alot of the more established players didn't seem to have any interest. Hopefully the desire to make an impression will pass through to the next of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Very interesting game this Sunday, I only wish it was on tv. For Meath this will be a baptism of fire for some of the new players while the experienced heads like Reilly,Sheridan and Cian Ward will have all the pressure on their shoulders.

It is a very real possibility that Wicklow can win but I wouldn't predict a winning margin of more than 5 either way.It may be that Meath will win and then the ext game would certainly be very winnable.Who knows what Meath can do if they get momentum behind them. A lot more from that county board meeting could come of this than meets the eye and the Meath players may use that as motivation to put the proverbial egg on Barney Allens face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Oh right because you have won so many championship games in the last few years?

Now now. You know what he meant. That Meath aren't the force of old and Wicklow won't fear them on Sunday the way they might have in the past. That's a combination of Wicklow improving and moreso Meath gone back a fair bit.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Very interesting game this Sunday, I only wish it was on tv.

+1 to that. Would be a much more interesting game to watch than Kerry v Tipp. I can understand RTE showing that game as it's convenient to have the cameras in Thurles for the two games but really I don't think anyone will get too excited at the prospect of watching Kerry hammer Tipp, as they surely will. Anyone know if the Wicklow-Meath game is being shown on the internet?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Now now. You know what he meant. That Meath aren't the force of old and Wicklow won't fear them on Sunday the way they might have in the past. That's a combination of Wicklow improving and moreso Meath gone back a fair bit.

While I realise Meath aren't the force we used to be, he was saying that it would not be a big deal for Wicklow to beat us. I was simply making the point that beating anyone in a championship game is still a big deal for Wicklow as it is still a relatively rare occurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

buzzing for the game now but i fear for that midfield we could bring back gerry mcentee and hed be quicker than the two lads!!at least we wont be subjected to 70 minutes of kicking the ball down on top of mark ward and ten wicklow players like we were during the league!!if the lads perform well win if they dont show up well were gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

While I realise Meath aren't the force we used to be, he was saying that it would not be a big deal for Wicklow to beat us. I was simply making the point that beating anyone in a championship game is still a big deal for Wicklow as it is still a relatively rare occurance

On what planet have you been living the past five years?

Hurlers were beaten 3-17 to 2-12 in Arklow. Looked like it was going to be a massacre in the first half as Wicklow were 10 points up at one stage. Nicky Horan was then brought on and the lads did brilliantly to bring it back to a 3 point game in the fifth minute of injury time.
    Then amazingly in the 41st minute of the first half (there was only one minute of injury time signalled) , the referee gave our half forward a straight red card for an innocuous challenge. Given the heat and that they were already chasing the game, the spare man was too much and the lads tired towards the end.
    They really couldn't have done much more. It was a shame we were denied a fair shot at the second half by an incompetent referee.

Hopefully the result is reversed in Carlow tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can't wait for tomorrow! I'll be there in the terrace! Big win to get us on our way is needed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Best of luck tomorrow lads!! Hope Meath team can bring a little smile to your faces after disappointing league!!! Up against it though, beware micko!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Best of luck tomorrow lads!! Hope Meath team can bring a little smile to your faces after disappointing league!!! Up against it though, beware micko!!!

I'm sure Micko is more concerned that Tipperary can pull an upset against Kerry today.Harry Murphy on the other hand will have Wicklow primed for this game. :D

you will go far as a gaa researcher - well done.

blackbelt wrote: »
    I'm sure Micko is more concerned that Tipperary can pull an upset against Kerry today.Harry Murphy on the other hand will have Wicklow primed for this game. :D

Jesus forgot micko wasn't at Wicklow these days duh lol!!! Wicklow wouldn't be a county I would be paying too much attention to anyways... Sure Meath should beat em off the park so..

Btw my post was a drunken post last night hence I mentioned micko in a confused and admiring way lol

Ah Championship Sunday how I've missed you.
    Can't wait for the game now although I have been getting steadily more nervous as the week went on. It should be a good hard fought game which will give the winner a great chance of progressing against Carlow.
    Just worried about midfield and the half forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

5 pts down. Not a great start. Or is there a strong wind?

That'll do. Very poor start and it looked like we were starting where we left off from the Louth game. But the midifleders began to do well and fed better ball into the forwards. Graham Reilly was fantastic as was Kevin Reilly at full back.
    Hopefully Seamus Kenny is back for the Carlow game and best wishes to Leighton Glynn.

Great to get that win under the belt. Alot of good things to take from the game. The 4 debutantes played well. Alan Forde put in a great shift and showed he can be a handful with some powerful direct running. Connor Gilespie did well at midfield and broke alot of ball although some of his foot passing was poor. Donacha Tobin grew into the game and looked quite comfortable on the ball. Collins didn't do much of note but looked solid with his distribution.
    Apart from that I thought Kevin Reilly was class at full back and never really looked troubled by Furlong.
    Graham Reilly was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, especially when moving to midfield in the second half.
    Brian Farrell also looked to be coming into some form which is great because he's been off the pace for a few seasons.
    Not all good though. Some of our distribution from kick outs, sidelines and frees was horrible. We were also running down alot of dead ends and handing possession over. Cian Wards free taking was a bit of a concern as he missed a few kickable ones.
    Seasmus Kenny came over to the terrace before the start of the second half and seemed in good spirits about the knee. He should be back for Carlow.
    Can't really see Carlow troubling us in two weeks but it'll be good to get another competitive game before having a crack at Kildare

• Advertisement

Great to get that win under the belt. Alot of good things to take from the game. The 4 debutantes played well. Alan Forde put in a great shift and showed he can be a handful with some powerful direct running. Connor Gilespie did well at midfield and broke alot of ball although some of his foot passing was poor. Donacha Tobin grew into the game and looked quite comfortable on the ball. Collins didn't do much of note but looked solid with his distribution.
    Apart from that I thought Kevin Reilly was class at full back and never really looked troubled by Furlong.
    Graham Reilly was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, especially when moving to midfield in the second half.
    Brian Farrell also looked to be coming into some form which is great because he's been off the pace for a few seasons.
    Not all good though. Some of our distribution from kick outs, sidelines and frees was horrible. We were also running down alot of dead ends and handing possession over. Cian Wards free taking was a bit of a concern as he missed a few kickable ones.
    Seasmus Kenny came over to the terrace before the start of the second half and seemed in good spirits about the knee. He should be back for Carlow.
    Can't really see Carlow troubling us in two weeks but it'll be good to get another competitive game before having a crack at Kildare
    Well saying Carlow won't trouble you is silly felex, it was Wicklow that Meath beat not Dublin. Wicklow are not miles better than Carlow and besides that Carlow should be respected!

Well done to Meath, nice to see you get a result!

Advertisement