Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hibbeler wrote: »
    So you know how I was saying earlier about how I couldn't find a particular piece of footage on YouTube, well....

Hopefully this weekend we can win without divine intervention! Had to feel that Westmeath were very unfortunate that day
    Great find.
    Was never a free in the first place so justice was done in the end I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Great find.
    Was never a free in the first place so justice was done in the end I suppose :pac:

My word, how did he miss that free? I never realised how in front of the posts he was, I was actually in a taxi in Mullingar listening to that moment live on the radio, I thought the driver was going to drive us into the ditch after he missed what she didn't scream when it went wide. I shat myself tbh!

My word, how did he miss that free? I never realised how in front of the posts he was, I was actually in a taxi in Mullingar listening to that moment live on the radio, I thought the driver was going to drive us into the ditch after he missed what she didn't scream when it went wide. I shat myself tbh!
    Made even more amazing given that he put a sideline over from an impossible angle just moments before to level.

Dolan was a magnificent and likeable player so I felt sorry for him. Definitely didn't feel sorry for the 50+ year old Westmeath fan in front of me who turned around and laughed in our faces when the free was given. To make it even sweeter, he turned his back on the game as soon as it left his boot to gloat some more. Took him a good 10 seconds to realise he'd missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Made even more amazing given that he put a sideline over from an impossible angle just moments before to level.

Dolan was a magnificent and likeable player so I felt sorry for him. Definitely didn't feel sorry for the 50+ year old Westmeath fan in front of me who turned around and laughed in our faces when the free was given. To make it even sweeter, he turned his back on the game as soon as it left his boot to gloat some more. Took him a good 10 seconds to realise he'd missed.

Priceless Hammer. I'd love to have seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Think McGill should be back as should Newman. O'Rourke and Gillespie will almost certainly be still out. Hopefully there hasn't been any more bad luck with Menton and Kevin Reilly.
    Disappointing result today. Not the first time Wexford have nicked it in the last minute against us.

I would definitely be feeling more confident going into the weekend if all of those were available, would be a much stronger team than the one available against wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

McGill Burke Newman Menton in. K Reilly named at 9. If fit I'd imagine he'll do a job on Heaslin.
    Has Flanagan picked up an injury? Possible dummy team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

iDave wrote: »
    McGill Burke Newman Menton in. K Reilly named at 9. If fit I'd imagine he'll do a job on Heaslin.
    Has Flanagan picked up an injury? Possible dummy team

It is hard to know alright, teams have been changed late on a lot of occasions so it is difficult to be confident that this is the team that will start.

Changes overall are positive.

Hard luck to the Juniors, Last minute sucker punch. I don't know what happened Alan Douglas. Seems to have been an innocuous black card.

The full team for Sunday

Meath (SFC v Westmeath):
    1. Patrick O'Rourke (Skryne)
    2. James McEntee (Curraha)
    3.Conor McGill (Ratoath)
    4. Donncha Tobin (Blackhall Gaels)
    5. Mickey Burke (Longwood)
    6. Donal Keogan (Rathkenny) Capt.
    7. Bryan Menton (Donaghmore Ashbourne)
    8. Harry Rooney (Skryne)
    9. Kevin Reilly (Navan O Mahony's)
    10. Graham Reilly (St. Colmcille's)
    11. Padraic Harnan (Moynalvey)
    12. Andrew Tormey (Donaghmore Ashbourne)
    13. Michael Newman (Kilmainham)
    14. Stephen Bray (Navan O'Mahony's)
    15. Brian McMahon (Ratoath)

I'm fairly happy with this selection tbh and am expecting a much improved performance on the last day.

Interesting selection to put K Reilly in midfield, perhaps he will slot in at CHB and allow Keoghan to move to the full back line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Sad news from Tunisia today. Condolences to Dunderry GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The full team for Sunday

Meath (SFC v Westmeath):
    1. Patrick O'Rourke (Skryne)
    2. James McEntee (Curraha)
    3.Conor McGill (Ratoath)
    4. Donncha Tobin (Blackhall Gaels)
    5. Mickey Burke (Longwood)
    6. Donal Keogan (Rathkenny) Capt.
    7. Bryan Menton (Donaghmore Ashbourne)
    8. Harry Rooney (Skryne)
    9. Kevin Reilly (Navan O Mahony's)
    10. Graham Reilly (St. Colmcille's)
    11. Padraic Harnan (Moynalvey)
    12. Andrew Tormey (Donaghmore Ashbourne)
    13. Michael Newman (Kilmainham)
    14. Stephen Bray (Navan O'Mahony's)
    15. Brian McMahon (Ratoath)

Whats the story with Eamonn Wallace is he injured or recovering from injury still? I'd definitely have him as a starter.

• Advertisement

Minors lost today to Longford by 1-9 to 0-8 disappointing.

Also interesting to note that Armagh beat Wicklow by 10 points today but there was only 1 point between them going into the last few minutes when Armagh scored 2-3 which seems to have made the scoreline quite flattering for them. Wicklow clearly performed well in bothe their games this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Minors lost today to Longford by 1-9 to 0-8 disappointing.

Also interesting to note that Armagh beat Wicklow by 10 points today but there was only 1 point between them going into the last few minutes when Armagh scored 2-3 which seems to have made the scoreline quite flattering for them. Wicklow clearly performed well in bothe their games this year

Disappointing week so far with the minors and juniors losing. Winning trophies is a habit we've fallen out of big time as a county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

rpurfield wrote: »
    Disappointing week so far with the minors and juniors losing. Winning trophies is a habit we've fallen out of big time as a county.

These things move in cycles. The current crop of players on the senior squad is very talented. We're centainly capable of challenging for leinster.

I would wager good money that's a dummy team. Unlikely that Kevin Reilly will play midfield, I would expect to see Menton move to centrefield with Kevin Reilly going to full-back alongside McGill.

Keogan is O'Dowd's first choice no.6. I don't get this - he's perhaps the best man-marker in the squad yet we typically play a centre-back who defends zonally. He's an excellent tackler though and often creates turnovers which set us up for a counter-attack, that's our chief tactic so there is some logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

meath are putting in some performance.... dubs wont fancy facing them nor will any team....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

meath are putting in some performance.... dubs wont fancy facing them nor will any team....

Both teams are poor.

Awful to watch.

Yer getting ahead of yourself.

gladrags wrote: »
    Both teams are poor.

Awful to watch.

Yer getting ahead of yourself.

Ah here, Meath played very well in that first half albeit aided by a very poor display from Westmeath.

The Meath full forward line have 2-7 from play so far which is not to be sniffed at

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just taught i'd nip in here during half time to say, Its good to see that Direct ball into the forwards does work, and we can do it, hopefully micko doesn't decide to go back to packing the defense 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Again the defense is shockingly porous

pile of crap...as bad as meaths defense has been the decision making by the forwards has been worse in 2nd half

disgraceful ....also i have not seen any improvement with meath under mick o dowd..he has to leave

well ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Dubs be more worried about Westmeath if any, I reckon .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

:pac:

Well what can i say, iv'e said it all along, there has been zero improvement under mick o'dowd but still taught we'd win today, but we went back to packing the defense which i feared he would do at half time and we invited them to attack, and attack they did, and we folded again, we tried to change it but it was to late, the legs were gone,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

my friend wrote: »
    Meath - the new Cavan

Living far too long on past glories, it used to be something to be 'on the Meath team'

Nowadays we have mere peacocks strutting about as members of a team that purportedly represents Meath

Meath - the new Cavan, it really has sunk to this

Posted this a few weeks ago, rings truer than ever today.

Shameful stuff

Mick O'Dowd, Kevin Reilly and Paddy O'Rourke for pasture

why was Harry Rooney taken off,i thought he was our only midfielder who played well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

how embarrassing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

that was shocking.

that was shocking.

Not really if you saw some of our 2nd half performances this year

Why is it that both the result and the manner of it don't surprise me one bit.
    It's amazing how the old adage of "Meath don't know when they're beaten" seems to have transformed to "Meath don't know when they've won". Group of Westmeath fans next to me wouldn't believe me at half time when I said the game wasn't over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Hope to not see Paddy O'Rourke tog out for Meath ever again (I'm sure he will though of course). He has been embarrassing for years but today really takes the biscuit. Surely there is a goal keeper in the county who is happy to stay in his goals, make the saves & catches when needed and kick the bloody ball out with some degree of intelligence & accuracy.

Advertisement