Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Bang on. Like a hot knife through butter except we seem to be even softer than butter at times. Think its a bit harsh to call us cavan though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

How long before we get a precious Cavan lurker telling us about the odd Ulster U21 they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

I'll say it again but Dalton was brilliant setting up attacks at 6 against Cavan. He didn't have anyone to mark though. He's been playing here for Summerhill and in my opinion remains our best choice at 6. Graham Reilly's been dropping in front of the D as an auxillary centre-back this season. A serious defensive responsibility for our best attacker. I'd go with a different midfielder but as posters have mentioned, Dalton's light and we need a defence that can counter the running game. I'd use Gillespie for cover here when he's fit, or one of Rooney or Flanagan.

Keogan and Power are fine centre-backs at club level but at intercounty half-backs are prized for their attacking ability, maybe the most influential position in the modern game. Menton gets scores from wing-back so why move him? Judge is the one half-back we have who can pick a pass in the current XV. Can't say how mad that makes me.

Three years in and our defence is still too leaky to handle some of the country's worst teams. That's scary.

The big difference between team at this level is zonal defending. Do we have the coaches who can put that system in place? If not, teams will run right through you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Chopping and changing at 6 wont solve it, I say pick someone and stick with them I say. I don't think we've had anyone decent at 6 since Enda McManus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If this is true, then it's awesome :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

How much are adult tickets for this weekend lads? I presume juveniles are the usual €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Jampip wrote: »
    How much are adult tickets for this weekend lads? I presume juveniles are the usual €5.

€30 for stand and €20 for hill
    https://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/23608/leinster-sfc-semi-finals-westmeath-v-meath-2pm-dublin-v-kildare-4pm-croke-park-28-June-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

The tickets on offer on tickets.ie are in the corners?
    Any better options? I was a season ticket holder prior to this season.
    Is supervalu pot luck with what you get?

Also was having a discussion with a Kerryman about 2001 and it struck us, well me in particular that there is no footage of the match on line anywhere that we could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

whatnext wrote: »

Also was having a discussion with a Kerryman about 2001 and it struck us, well me in particular that there is no footage of the match on line anywhere that we could find.

I've looked before and not found any footage either. Which is strange considering I did find on youtube some footage of Kerry's QF vs Dublin before playing us. I've also looked and not been able to find footage of Dessie Dolan's famous miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I've looked before and not found any footage either. Which is strange considering I did find on youtube some footage of Kerry's QF vs Dublin before playing us. I've also looked and not been able to find footage of Dessie Dolan's famous miss.

Here you go lads, it's the entire 2001 Championship. Amazing how old it seems looking back now, I remember it so well especially our two trips to Thurles.

http://youtu.be/RrFuKyw9Zrg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Hmmm, the plot thickens!

Cheers for that JAO. Enjoyable if you skip the final :pac:
    I noticed how less obsessed with money the GAA were back then in that the Hill was open for every game played in Croke Park unlike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Cheers for that JAO. Enjoyable if you skip the final :pac:
    I noticed how less obsessed with money the GAA were back then in that the Hill was open for every game played in Croke Park unlike today.

True, and how us Dubs got to experience a road trip for a Championship match, although if we're beaten by Kildare this Sunday we're off to Tullamore the following week :/

I'd forgotten how close Westmeath came to beating us in the drawn QF in 2001! Ollie Murphy saved us that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

whatnext wrote: »

It'll be sit where you like anyway. It's on TV so I've decided not to go at that price. It'd cost €70 for the wife and I and two kids. It's too much. That's before we even feed ourselves and put diesel in the car.

I'd forgotten how close Westmeath came to beating us in the drawn QF in 2001! Ollie Murphy saved us that day.

I remember they had us on the ropes in the Leinster QF also.

Honestly, we were steeped in 2001 to get to the final looking back on it. Westmeath should have beaten us twice and arguably three times given we went down to 14 early in the replayed game. Dublin also should have beaten us in the Leinster final. Only in the Kerry game did we convincingly beat someone.

Whatever our result on Sunday afternoon is, I'd recommend everyone stay for this in the Dublin - Kildare game:
    http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=239792

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Honestly, we were steeped in 2001 to get to the final looking back on it. Westmeath should have beaten us twice and arguably three times given we went down to 14 early in the replayed game. Dublin also should have beaten us in the Leinster final. Only in the Kerry game did we convincingly beat someone.

I wish we were that lucky these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

That was in 2003 my friend.
    The replayed game after that draw is on YouTube.

• Advertisement

pipelaser wrote: »

Yeah I know I was looking for the footage recently given the week that's in it :)

Actually felt kind of sorry for Dessie Dolan in the replayed game. It was obvious he had an awful week because of that miss and then just had probably his worst ever game in the replay (missed a penalty if I remember correctly) while he was taunted by Meath fans throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

pipelaser wrote: »

Is it, I can't find it, do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Actually felt kind of sorry for Dessie Dolan in the replayed game. It was obvious he had an awful week because of that miss and then just had probably his worst ever game in the replay (missed a penalty if I remember correctly) while he was taunted by Meath fans throughout.
    Yes, our fans can be obnoxious at times.

Btw, Juniors in the final tonight. Anyone going?

dixiefly wrote: »
    Yes, our fans can be obnoxious at times.

Btw, Juniors in the final tonight. Anyone going?

Think thats harsh to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

iDave wrote: »
    Think thats harsh to be honest.

Sorry, should have said some of our fans. Then again all counties have these types.

We are cursed. 2 point lead in injury time and concede a goal!

So you know how I was saying earlier about how I couldn't find a particular piece of footage on YouTube, well....

Hopefully this weekend we can win without divine intervention! Had to feel that Westmeath were very unfortunate that day

iDave wrote: »
    We are cursed. 2 point lead in injury time and concede a goal!

We did the same to Louth in the semi final from what I remember, anyway hard luck always disappointing to lose a final at any grade.

Hopefully the minors and seniors will have better results this weekend. Speaking of which how is the senior teams' injury list looking atm?

• Advertisement

We did the same to Louth in the semi final from what I remember, anyway hard luck always disappointing to lose a final at any grade.

Hopefully the minors and seniors will have better results this weekend. Speaking of which how is the senior teams' injury list looking atm?
    Think McGill should be back as should Newman. O'Rourke and Gillespie will almost certainly be still out. Hopefully there hasn't been any more bad luck with Menton and Kevin Reilly.
    Disappointing result today. Not the first time Wexford have nicked it in the last minute against us.

Advertisement