Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Is anyone able to shed any light on the way they make up the sections? I think this is the third year of it now and it always seems to be one sided

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Think the A side includes the sides in the top half of each provincial draw while the B side have the teams in the bottom halves.

As far as I know, this is the second year of it. Think it was brought in to prevent losing provincial finalists having a six day turnaround. Both years have been pretty lopsided and both years we have been on the much tougher side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Think the A side includes the sides in the top half of each provincial draw while the B side have the teams in the bottom halves.

As far as I know, this is the second year of it. Think it was brought in to prevent losing provincial finalists having a six day turnaround. Both years have been pretty lopsided and both years we have been on the much tougher side of the draw.

Would the simple solution to that not have been to just not schedule the rd 4 qualifier for 6 days after the provincial finals?

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Would the simple solution to that not have been to just not schedule the rd 4 qualifier for 6 days after the provincial finals?
    I think then the argument was that some provincial winners (usually Munster) would have more than a month between their provincial final and AI quarter final. It is a bit of a ridiculous situation at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It's still far from ideal where you are creating a situation where they need to amend the draw if Donegal end up drawing Tyrone again etc etc. The simplest thing to do is condense the Munster and Connacht champo and have the four finals on the one weekend, it's madness that Galway's third championship game of 2015 is on the same weekend as Meath and Wicklow's first! Surely a later start for them two championships would benefit clubs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

rpurfield wrote: »

Brilliant find! Had to watch it twice I was too excited watching it the first time. Great to see the ol' Pairc full, no health & safety in those days!!

Can anyone answer me this, how come the behind goals terraces are closed even though there are barriers on them, yet 80,000 people can attend a concert on a grassy hill in Slane and turn it into a mud bath and nobody bats an eyelid? Is it a GAA related thing whereby health & safety is stricter for games or how does it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think if Meath lose the QF or SF we go the B side but if we lose the Leinster final we switch to the A side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

RTE Radio 8.30 a.m. sports report says K.Reilly, Menton, S. O'Rourke, Newman, and someone else all doubts for Sunday....is this correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Is there any way through Gaago, Setanta or anywhere else I can watch the Wicklow game live from the UK?
    Is anyone covering it? Nothing apparent at the moment.

pipelaser wrote: »
    Is there any way through Gaago, Setanta or anywhere else I can watch the Wicklow game live from the UK?
    Is anyone covering it? Nothing apparent at the moment.

I watch the live games from the UK on GAAGO myself.

However I don't think the Meath Wicklow game is being covered by any TV channel and therefore it's unlikely that there will be any streams available. We'll have to stick with LMFM I'm afraid pipelaser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I watch the live games from the UK on GAAGO myself.

However I don't think the Meath Wicklow game is being covered by any TV channel and therefore it's unlikely that there will be any streams available. We'll have to stick with LMFM I'm afraid pipelaser

Thanks.
    LMFM it is. Will probably make it sound a bit more exciting anyway!

mattser wrote: »
    RTE Radio 8.30 a.m. sports report says K.Reilly, Menton, S. O'Rourke, Newman, and someone else all doubts for Sunday....is this correct ?
    Gillespie is probably the other one. Can't see any of those 5 starting. Honestly finding it more and more difficult to see Kevin Reilly ever returning as a consistent feature in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

We seem to be going from one injury crisis to another. Very difficult to identify a settled team to build up consistency or momentum.

I dont ever remember such a spate of injuries to important team players over the years. Is this just sheer bad luck?

Crucial season for Micko and the team and it is very difficult to raise optimism for the Leinster campaign at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

dixiefly wrote: »
    We seem to be going from one injury crisis to another. Very difficult to identify a settled team to build up consistency or momentum.

I dont ever remember such a spate of injuries to important team players over the years. Is this just sheer bad luck?

Crucial season for Micko and the team and it is very difficult to raise optimism for the Leinster campaign at the moment.

Another walloping from the Dubs if we get that far.

I sympathise with any injured player, but we've had
    far too many. Something's badly wrong somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

mattser wrote: »
    [/B]

Another walloping from the Dubs if we get that far.

I sympathise with any injured player, but we've had
    far too many. Something's badly wrong somewhere.

We should get to the leinster final, i agree about the injuries, we've had a fair few over the last 18 months, where you just have to think, its more then just bad luck

We should get to the leinster final, i agree about the injuries, we've had a fair few over the last 18 months, where you just have to think, its more then just bad luck

What on earth could our lads be doing in training or whatever that is causing all these injuries?

I know it feels like we've had a lot but I honestly don't see what we could be doing differently/worse than other counties. If it were something to do with training then surely we wouldn't be the only team so badly affected.

What I'm saying is that it might just be exactly what it looks like... Some unfortunate coincidence. Unless you're suggesting that there's some sort of conspiracy behind it :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

This level of injuries suggest outdated warm up and training methods. Also, too much time, money and physio have been invested in certain players that are simply prone to injury, lads that struggle as such cant be integral to a team of serious intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

my friend wrote: »
    This level of injuries suggest outdated warm up and training methods. Also, too much time, money and physio have been invested in certain players that are simply prone to injury, lads that struggle as such cant be integral to a team of serious intent.

Yes, because all the top teams these days have sophisticated warm up routines targeting hand injury prevention!

Juniors play their semi final against Louth in Drogheda in an hour.

Juniors won by point. Were 5 points down with 7 minutes left. Sounded like a good game

• Advertisement

Nothing like robbing Louth of a victory, even if it is the Junior championship :pac:

Nothing like robbing Louth of a victory, even if it is the Junior championship :pac:

Louth had a strong team out as well as far as I know, there's one or two of them that will likely be drafted into the senior team for their qualifier against Leitrim in a couple of weeks.

Chris O'Connor has been playing well lately also is he making a case to be brought back into the Meath senior fold?

Lads do ye know if i can buy tickets on sunday, haven't bought mine yet as i have a christening before and it'll be a mad dash to get there.

What on earth could our lads be doing in training or whatever that is causing all these injuries?

I know it feels like we've had a lot but I honestly don't see what we could be doing differently/worse than other counties. If it were something to do with training then surely we wouldn't be the only team so badly affected.

What I'm saying is that it might just be exactly what it looks like... Some unfortunate coincidence. Unless you're suggesting that there's some sort of conspiracy behind it :p

No conspiracy but i don't believe in bad luck or coincidence, there has to be a reason for all the injuries

No conspiracy but i don't believe in bad luck or coincidence, there has to be a reason for all the injuries

What could the reason be? Someone mentioned outdated training/warm up practices but to be honest I'm not sure that we would be doing anything different than other counties who don't seem to have these injury problems.

Anyway lets hope that all the lads get back to full fitness soon. I still expect us to beat Wicklow and without wanting to get ahead of myself Westmeath/Wexford. But we will need a full team to give the Dubs a better go this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Anyone confirm that if you've a season ticket for Sunday's game, you don't need to print off a ticket or anything?

Anyone confirm that if you've a season ticket for Sunday's game, you don't need to print off a ticket or anything?
    That's the usual set up for the first game of the championship when it's not in Croker. There should be a season ticket stile like in the league (though possibly only at the swimming pool end).

Any idea when we can expect a team announcement? Was hoping tonight possibly, assuming they trained this evening with a kick around on Saturday or something. Hearing Rumours of different injuries so hopefully a team is named soon to ease my fears..not that we can rely on it of course.

I'm very cautious about this game Sunday, nobody giving Wicklow a prayer will suit them lovely. They'll be fired up come 3.30 throw in, we'll need a quick start or it could be a tough long slog.

1. O'Rourke
    2. McEntee
    3. Tobin
    4. Dalton
    5. Judge
    6. Keogan
    7. Power
    8. Rooney
    9. Flanagan
    10. Reilly
    11. Harnan
    12. Tormey
    13. J Wallace
    14. Bray
    15. McMahon

Wow!!!
    Seems my worst fears were true, heard McGill was struggling. No sign of M Burke, a MOD stalwart. Newman, E Wallace out as well by looks of it, never even knew they were struggling. Gillespie, K. Reilly, S O'Rourke, Menton we knew about. Interesting to see if that's the actual team that takes to the field. Very experimental looking. Injuries taking their toll badly

• Advertisement

Either way, best of luck to the lads. Possession is 9/10 of the law so hopefully they play unbelievably well and don't give the lads who are out a chance to come back in!

Advertisement