Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Time of Tyrone game still not announced. It being the eve of the 12th ain't exactly great timing. Talk of it being moved due to parades on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Time of Tyrone game still not announced. It being the eve of the 12th ain't exactly great timing. Talk of it being moved due to parades on the Saturday.

Is there a chance it might be moved because of the 12th? To clones or breffni perhaps?

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Is there a chance it might be moved because of the 12th? To clones or breffni perhaps?
    Well the Aughnacloy parade is taking place the evening of the 11th which would cause big delays for any Meath fans travelling. Can see it being moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Well what the story with this fixture, why is taking so long to announce a venue and time?

It's ridiculous at this stage. God forbid people want to make plans for the rest of the weekend.

• Advertisement

Supposedly the announcement is to be on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It's ridiculous at this stage. God forbid people want to make plans for the rest of the weekend.

Only just dawned on me it hasn't been announced, have the other games been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Yeah, have to agree with most of the points being made here. I was very critical of O'Dowd during the league but last Sunday I felt the players should shoulder most of the blame, they don't seem to have the maturity or the ruthlessness to close teams down. I watched the minor game as well and this seems to be a cultural thing in Meath, a lot of lads with inflated egos who don't seem to think they have any defensive responsibilities. Even Sean Boylan when he retired made the point that lads can't be going around with attitudes just because they're county players.

Now, maybe Mick O'Dowd doesn't help matters by being perhaps too nice, by gambling on youngsters in crucial positions and so on. The similarities with the Laois game were uncanny. Had he learned from this he could have made timely substitutions when he saw performance levels dropping.

Talking to my father earlier he'd heard on the grapvine the PSNI want it moved for obvious reasons but Tyrone are kicking up. He'd heard rumour of a double header in Cavan with Armagh and Wexford. I don't blame Tyrone for not wanting a move if it was a role reversal I'd be unhappy!!

Just back from watching ourselves against Dunshaughlin in the league. Fairly impressed with Dunshaughlin to be honest they moved the full forward back to free up Caoimhin King as the sweeper and counter attacked at pace. They were helped by three poor kick outs in a row giving them three points to put them six up and they just packed it out then. We lost by 8 in the end but it should've been closer. Given it's the first club match I've seen this year I'm in no position to judge but the effort Dunshaughlin put and the movement was impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

When is this venue going to be announced. Fecking stupid not just for supporters but the teams have to plan transport on the day too.

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    When is this venue going to be announced. Fecking stupid not just for supporters but the teams have to plan transport on the day too.

Presumably today. The round 3A qualifiers are next weekend also so I'd imagine all will be announced at once

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Presumably today. The round 3A qualifiers are next weekend also so I'd imagine all will be announced at once
    Any ideas what time it will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Any ideas what time it will be announced?

It will be around 2 according to Meath GAA Twitter

Saturday at 3pm in Omagh it's been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Ah balls.....

How do you guys honestly see this going?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

It's not televised either - brilliant.

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Ah balls.....

How do you guys honestly see this going?

If we play for 70 mins we will win imo, but if the lads have mentally thrown in the towel after last weekend then not a hope

I'd say we'll either put in the performance of the season and possibly pull off a result or we'll surrender meekly and lose by double figures.

As Hibbeler said, if we play for 70 minutes, we are well able to beat them. We should have beaten them 2 years ago if it wasn't for an incredibly fussy referee. And I feel they have regressed since then.
    The only player of theirs that worries me is Cavanagh of course. He's torn us a new one both times he's played us in the championship. Stop him, and we should win. Give him free reign of Healy Park and we'll be tonked.

If the lads can't get up for a performance on Saturday they should just jack it in, they owe it to themselves more than anything to put a display on.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Anyone any experience of Omagh? How long we talking drive wise, parking, tickets etc. is there many towns en route where traffic will be an issue?

honestly believe (and everyone I know thinks I'm daft) that we can beat these on Saturday. Be great to see a Meath performance of the ages, come out like dogs after all the recent abuse etc and put Tyrone to the sword

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Obrieski wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of Omagh? How long we talking drive wise, parking, tickets etc. is there many towns en route where traffic will be an issue?

If taking the N2/A5 (should be the quickest), you need to pass through Emyvale and Aughnacloy, and possibly Ardee - depending on whereabouts you are coming from.

Carrickmacross and Castleblaney are fully bypassed, Monaghan is ring road. Neither Emyvale or Aughnacloy should be that bad, and it's not a bad run for ye.

Obrieski wrote: »

honestly believe (and everyone I know thinks I'm daft) that we can beat these on Saturday. Be great to see a Meath performance of the ages, come out like dogs after all the recent abuse etc and put Tyrone to the sword
    Coming from Ratoath? Probably 2.5 hours. N2 would be the way to go. Ardee may be busy if you go through Slane/Collon but you could bypass it if you go the M1.
    I think there's a parade in Aughnacloy that evening so maybe don't hang around after the game for too long.
    I was only there for a league game and the parking was OK. Not sure what it would be like on championship day.

Google maps put the quickest route from Stamullen as the M1 up to Ardee anyway, I've never been up before myself so I'm relying on it for navigation.

Going to avail of that bus Club na Mi put on for away days. Dont fancy parking my IRL number plate around an anti-Irish festival.

Any news on injuries, I'm sure theres some fresh ones from the last match. Standard for Meath these days.

Ardee shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday afternoon though obviously I'd leave a bit of time in case. If you come up the m1 and cut across the n33 you avoid Ardee anyway. Like was mentioned above Carrick and Blayney are bypassed and I don't think there's anywhere else there might be an issue.

So do we think there will be many changes on the team for Saturday? I'm assuming McHugh will come into goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

meath are a bogey team for tyrone... meath will win this one.... wouldnt surprise me either if it was mickey harte's last game in charge of tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Bogey Team? We've played them 3 times in the history of the championship. We've won twice while they've won once. Even if you include the league, we lost and drew our last 2 games against them.

That said I hope you're right and we beat them.

We suffered a massive defeat in Omagh in 2012 (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Coming from Ratoath? Probably 2.5 hours. N2 would be the way to go. Ardee may be busy if you go through Slane/Collon but you could bypass it if you go the M1.
    I think there's a parade in Aughnacloy that evening so maybe don't hang around after the game for too long.
    I was only there for a league game and the parking was OK. Not sure what it would be like on championship day.

From Ratoath, yes. Sounds as though once get by Ardee it shouldn't be too bad. Played games in Ardee in my time so traffic could be rough there but I suppose the usual 'give yourself enough time and it should be fine' rules apply. Remember travelling to breffni park for a league final a few years ago and traffic was back down the N3 for miles, was a nightmare.

Will Meath people travel I wonder? A lot I'm talking to won't due to many reasons. What kind of capacity has Omagh got?

I imagine with regards the team there won't be too many changes. I assume injuries won't have cleared up in such short time for Gillespie etc. McHugh will start in goals with rumours that Brendan Murphy will be sub keeper

• Advertisement

Brendan Murphy is to be the sub keeper for Saturday coming out of retirement. Suppose they didn't think there was a need to call up another goalkeeper to sit on the bench for one game. I presume if Meath win POR will just slot back in to the No 1 slot

Advertisement