Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Blazer wrote: »
    I sided with them but I was sorry afterwards...quarians are assholes as horse said :D

Some quarians are assholes. It's a product of their situation. If you were driven from your home, lived a nomadic existence, lived in a suit for the majority of your life, and had the galaxy treat you as second class citizens........you would be pretty hard nosed too. It was a situation of their own making, but thats not really the point.

Even tali, who most people really like and consider a good person, says and does some pretty harsh stuff throughout the series. When you meet her in ME1, in ME2 when you encounter her again and her reaction to you, her reaction and dealings with Legion in 2 and 3, how she defends her fathers work in ME2, initially wanting all geth to die in ME3 etc. etc.

They are written as people with a chip on their shoulders. I liked that. If that happened to you.....you wouldn't be the pillar of altruism. They weren't perfect. I found their writing to be some of the best. Them and the Krogan.

And I want an offical quarian induction straw too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kirby wrote: »

And I want an offical quarian induction straw too. :D
    Induction Straw!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Drunk tali ftw!

Bioware on facebook are asking you for your favourite phrases from me 3 for future t shirts.

One thing that bugged me is that if you don't sabotage the genophage cure, the Salarians don't support you, but if you do a side-mission (can't remember which one), afterwards they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

One thing that bugged me is that if you don't sabotage the genophage cure, the Salarians don't support you, but if you do a side-mission (can't remember which one), afterwards they do.

Why does it bother you? I just thought of the situation as the Daltrass being difficult and basically racist and the majority of Salarians understanding the importance of having the Krogan on-side. I think the Salarian guy who gives you the good news mentions the fact the Daltrass was being unreasonable.

She was a grade A bitch so she was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I was really disappointed by the ending yesterday. Felt really cheated. Still don't understand why the Normandy is in FTL.

Also the Reapers felt like the Shadows from Babylon 5. At least Babylon 5 was able to build on its poor Shadows exit but saying how a fascist government was utilising the tech.

Why does it bother you? I just thought of the situation as the Daltrass being difficult and basically racist and the majority of Salarians understanding the importance of having the Krogan on-side. I think the Salarian guy who gives you the good news mentions the fact the Daltrass was being unreasonable.

She was a grade A bitch so she was.

It bothered me because it made the whole impact of the decision kinda null-and-void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I was really disappointed by the ending yesterday. Felt really cheated. Still don't understand why the Normandy is in FTL.

Also the Reapers felt like the Shadows from Babylon 5. At least Babylon 5 was able to build on its poor Shadows exit but saying how a fascist government was utilising the tech.

That must make you a sad Panda :(

:pac:

It bothered me because it made the whole impact of the decision kinda null-and-void.

I get where you are coming from. I dunno,I just kind of went over the whole possibility of politics in the Salarian government, infighting etc. and herself looking out for her own interests and her own agenda.

Out of interest, what happens if you do what the Daltrass asks? Do the krogan find out and pull out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just finished ME3 a few minutes ago and don't have time to read this thread just yet. One of the things that is bugging me is the fate of Garrus. He was with me as we ran to the beam and so was Javik.

I'm pretty sure when the Normandy crash landed Javik was there. How he got there I have no idea but what about poor Garrus?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I get where you are coming from. I dunno,I just kind of went over the whole possibility of politics in the Salarian government, infighting etc. and herself looking out for her own interests and her own agenda.

Out of interest, what happens if you do what the Daltrass asks? Do the krogan find out and pull out?

If Wrex is still alive, he figures it out and I think you end up killing him. If Wrex was killed before ME3 and the other guy is in charge then the Krogan don't figure it out.

If Wrex is still alive, he figures it out and I think you end up killing him. If Wrex was killed before ME3 and the other guy is in charge then the Krogan don't figure it out.

Do you still get the Krogan onside if you kill Wrex?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you still get the Krogan onside if you kill Wrex?

No idea, I cured the genophage. I like the Krogan and Wrex so no way in hell I was gonna go against them for some Salarian gimp even if the Salarians were better for the war effort.

No idea, I cured the genophage. I like the Krogan and Wrex so no way in hell I was gonna go against them for some Salarian gimp even if the Salarians were better for the war effort.

Same, I hated that Salarian Daltrass, had to cure the Genophage after all my work in ME 2!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished it and had a speed read of this thread.

Interesting ending - I tend to enjoy conclusions that completely distort and frustrate audience expectations ;) - albeit one left down by Bioware's awful writing and directing skills. It tried for ambiguous insight but the writing was just too wishy-washy and vague to be effective. Direction wise it was all over the gaff too. That said, I did enjoy the 'final' choice, even if it felt ill at odds with the rest of the game. As a whole, it frustrated me because so much of it was just shoot, shoot, shoot. The level design was generally weak, usually only buoyed by a surprise or two in the end cutscene. It felt like a sequel by the numbers, where all the Mass Effect strengths - character, customisation, choice - just didn't have the same impact as they did in ME2. Still think it was a good game, some great moments and glad to see an ending that isn't completely derivative (although they've been watching too much philosophical sci-fi with their 'stargazer'). Yet the whole product just felt... awkward, the ending the discoloured icing on a somewhat askew cake.

Basically a really bad version of the transcendent (I've spoilered this just for safety: reveal with caution)
    End of Evangelion
    without any of the auteristic flair, thematic force or narrative resonances. I haven't seen Gurran Lagann yet, but there were certainly heavy
    Evangelion
    influences too.

Final note: really had to chuckle at the final text box: 'Commander Shepard became a legend! Now continue the adventure with downloadable content!'. **** off Bioware, seriously. He's become some sort of omnipotent being: some more poorly designed campaign missions doesn't really fit right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Just finished it and had a speed read of this thread.

Interesting ending - I tend to enjoy conclusions that completely distort and frustrate audience expectations ;) - albeit one left down by Bioware's awful writing and directing skills. It tried for ambiguous insight but the writing was just too wishy-washy and vague to be effective. Direction wise it was all over the gaff too. That said, I did enjoy the 'final' choice, even if it felt ill at odds with the rest of the game. As a whole, it frustrated me because so much of it was just shoot, shoot, shoot. The level design was generally weak, usually only buoyed by a surprise or two in the end cutscene. It felt like a sequel by the numbers, where all the Mass Effect strengths - character, customisation, choice - just didn't have the same impact as they did in ME2. Still think it was a good game, some great moments and glad to see an ending that isn't completely derivative (although they've been watching too much philosophical sci-fi with their 'stargazer'). Yet the whole product just felt... awkward, the ending the discoloured icing on a somewhat askew cake.

Basically a really bad version of the transcendent (I've spoilered this just for safety: reveal with caution)
    End of Evangelion
    without any of the auteristic flair, thematic force or narrative resonances. I haven't seen Gurran Lagann yet, but there were certainly heavy
    Evangelion
    influences too.

Final note: really had to chuckle at the final text box: 'Commander Shepard became a legend! Now continue the adventure with downloadable content!'. **** off Bioware, seriously. He's become some sort of omnipotent being: some more poorly designed campaign missions doesn't really fit right :pac:
    I dont see much significant similarity between the two at all. But oddly this satirical interpretation was quite reminiscent of it:
    Zillah wrote: »
    It is my personal belief that The Reapers are actually angels and that every fifty thousand years they come to slay all of the sinners. Intelligent races develop technology and because of their own hubris think they can play God and create life (AI). The little boy is obviously a representation of Jesus. If you choose to destroy the angels you "wake up" in Hell, as shown by the ruination surrounding Shepard, and in "control" you are destroyed completely because it is the ultimate arrogance. "Synthesis" is purgatory because you try to negotiate a middle ground rather than accept the authority and judgement of God.

The spoiler here is a reference to the specific movie you mentioned: Imagine the complaints about the ending if Shepard
    was too ashamed to fight after jacking off beside Miranda as she lay critically injured
    :)

The mass effect universe, story and objectives are quite similar to the starflight games - which they acknowlede were a major influence.

I dont see much significant similarity between the two at all. But oddly this satirical interpretation was quite reminiscent of it:

The spoiler here is a reference to the specific movie you mentioned: Imagine the complaints about the ending if Shepard
    was too ashamed to fight after jacking off beside Miranda as she lay critically injured
    :)

The mass effect universe, story and objectives are quite similar to the starflight games - which they acknowlede were a major influence.

I wouldn't give out about that ending, I'd just wonder how the writers were able to read my mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Significant' would be putting it strongly! It's just the final 'choice' Shepard has to make was rather reminiscent of the final 'choice'
    Shinji
    has to make. Rewriting human DNA through synthesis and returning the universe to a more 'primitive' existence isn't all that far removed from returning humanity to the primordial goop. Strong similarities? Nope. But when I saw all the Gurran Lagann references it just re-emphasised that little impression I was left with.

Although it's pretty funny how the fan reaction to the ME3 ending strongly echoes the fan reaction following
    Neon Genesis
    . I think
    Anno's
    passionate and quite literal critique of rabid fan obsession in
    EoE
    is pretty relevant to the silly extremes some 'enthusiasts' are going to in this case. Although I strongly doubt Bioware have the capability or bravery to actually reflect upon that artistically. A subversive DLC add-on with subliminal flashes of hate mail and message boards would be a nice addition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The spoiler here is a reference to the specific movie you mentioned

The funny thing is that any similarity to an existing film was purely accidental.

'Significant' would be putting it strongly! It's just the final 'choice' Shepard has to make was rather reminiscent of the final 'choice'
    Shinji
    has to make. Rewriting human DNA through synthesis and returning the universe to a more 'primitive' existence isn't all that far removed from returning humanity to the primordial goop. Strong similarities? Nope. But when I saw all the Gurran Lagann references it just re-emphasised that little impression I was left with.

Although it's pretty funny how the fan reaction to the ME3 ending strongly echoes the fan reaction following
    Neon Genesis
    . I think
    Anno's
    passionate and quite literal critique of rabid fan obsession in
    EoE
    is pretty relevant to the silly extremes some 'enthusiasts' are going to in this case. Although I strongly doubt Bioware have the capability or bravery to actually reflect upon that artistically. A subversive DLC add-on with subliminal flashes of hate mail and message boards would be a nice addition ;)
    It's definitely reminiscent of the fan reaction alright!

I didn't see the synthesis option as moving to a more primitive existence really - unless you mean specifically the destruction of the mass effect relays.

I think the comparison to Foundation and Earth someone made at the start of this thread fits better. Also Deus Ex 2 apparently.

Dont know Gurran Lagann.

The ending is reminiscent of Starflight in a different way. In that it turns out that
    using the fuel that enables interstellar travel is what is causing all the stars in the galaxy to go supernova...they do so at various stages in the course of the game - so again the destruction of interstellar technology; They have a replacement fuel in the sequel though

I dont think Bioware would reflect on the fan mail artistically alright. It might be unwise to do so really.The reactions in some quarters to homosexual options in the game come to mind. I can only imagine how some of the same people might react if they felt they were actively being made fun of.

I posted before wondering why there was controversy about the homosexual options when they did the same thing in the Dragon Age games already. The answer is obvious though - Dragon Age didn't attract that type of fan. I'd imagine the reaction will encourage Bioware to take a more conservative [and possibly more dumbed down] approach to appease that group in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Found this on gamefaqs

Tali http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/116940/2144612-tali.jpg

Tali ? http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/116940/2144611-1331084657965.jpg

Seriously could they have done it in a more cheap\half assed way.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

When did Tali even get the chance to take that picture? It looks like it's taken outside, and Quarians hadn't been able to land on Rannoch for 200 years. Did she successfully 'infiltrate' Rannoch when you weren't around and go streaking to celebrate?

Could have been worse though. Could have been duck-facing.

The funny thing is that any similarity to an existing film was purely accidental.
    Yeah I got that alright, and I thought it was funny too.
    [So my saying earlier that it was derivative was incorrect - but rather that it would seem derivative]

Found this on gamefaqs

Tali http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/116940/2144612-tali.jpg

Tali ? http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/116940/2144611-1331084657965.jpg

Seriously could they have done it in a more cheap\half assed way.

Yup, seemingly that's essentially the woman voiced her chatacter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

G.J. wrote: »
    When did Tali even get the chance to take that picture? It looks like it's taken outside, and Quarians hadn't been able to land on Rannoch for 200 years. Did she successfully 'infiltrate' Rannoch when you weren't around and go streaking to celebrate?

Could have been worse though. Could have been duck-facing.

I seem to recall a scene where she removes her mask at the end of the Geth/Quorian missions, maybe Shepard had a Lumix handy?

Knowing that makes it much better actually - that it was the actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Essentially? She either did or she didn't. And I seriously doubt she did, as the picture was sourced on gettyimages, which would have been a rather large coincidence.

Essentially? She either did or she didn't. And I seriously doubt she did, as the picture was sourced on gettyimages, which would have been a rather large coincidence.
    hm I can't tell for certain even after looking up the actress. Not sure if it is a heavily touched up pic of the actress or just someone else.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%22ash+sroka%22&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=%22ash+sroka%22&sc=1-11&sp=-1&sk=#x0y0

ash-sroka-2.jpg

The features are pretty similar, but things like the shape of the jaw and the earlobes look different. So I think they are different people.

The actual actress looks more fitting, unsurprisingly I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finished it a few days ago and while I still think those guys manning the barricades and threatening to sue are idiots, it's still an awful mess of an ending.

The biggest problem for me is that it's so out of keeping with the rest of the game and series. I just can't reconcile it with the emotional impact that the ending of Act 2 had, which for my playthrough (I brokered a peace between the Geth and Quarians) is the best videogame moment I've experienced in a long time.

Going from that to holographic children talking nonsense at you is jarring, the story-telling confused and unclear and the pay-off after three games worth of content is non-existant. Then, as if to rub further salt into the wounds they place you back on the deck of the Normandy so they can hawk their expensive (and nearly always disappointing) DLC to you.

As a complete package I'd already felt that ME3 was inferior to ME2 - the Return of the Jedi to Empire if you will - but at least that trilogy had a final and satisfying ending. It now sounds like Bioware are going to be messing about with the ending because of all the whinging, I don't think anyone thinking clearly really wants that - they just wanted it done right the first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Am I the only one that thinks Tali's voice actor (Ash Sroka) would have been a much cuter face for Tali?

Advertisement