Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It must be the rarest thing to happen without having read up or played the game before. Most people would go on that mission before they had the opportunity to raise their alignment scores that high. Funnily the ones most likely to get the option are the people least interested in the Quarian and Geth [delayed the most before undertaking the mission].

Happened to me on my first and only play-through and was the best moment of the entire series for my money. Just reading through all the variables now that you need to complete to get it and it just looks like I was lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Just saw a funny comment of YT :D

Protheans - Bioware
    Reapers - EA
    Collectors - Bioware after EA bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya I wasn't aware of all those variable, I'm just a bit tali mad and made all the right decisions, thankfully! I remember her saying she left a present up in my cabin, I legged it up like no tomorrow. Definitely my favourite character in the series. Thinking of it, most of the characters were absolutely brilliant bar jacob, vega, liara and male shep. oh and rasicst Ash and adams apple miranda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Herrick wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Tali's voice actor (Ash Sroka) would have been a much cuter face for Tali?
    no I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anyone would've been a dissapointment for Tali.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Thinking of it, most of the characters were absolutely brilliant bar jacob, vega, liara and male shep. oh and rasicst Ash and adams apple miranda.

I still say Liara was one of the best characters in the series. From when you meet her on Therum, to the end of ME3, she's probably the most improved character, bar maybe Garrus. She was great in LotSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Then, as if to rub further salt into the wounds they place you back on the deck of the Normandy so they can hawk their expensive (and nearly always disappointing) DLC to you.

I think i've seen this mentioned a few times. I think it just reloads your last save game, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gbear wrote: »
    I think i've seen this mentioned a few times. I think it just reloads your last save game, no?

The last save is right after you get blasted running for the Citadel lift in London, the save it loads up after the end game is one it took before you went to attack the Cerburus base to start the end game.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The last save is right after you get blasted running for the Citadel lift in London, the save it loads up after the end game is one it took before you went to attack the Cerburus base to start the end game.

Oh right. I only used the save game option before the Cerberus mission. The rest I left to quicksaves and autosaves. It was just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

There are no saves once you hit Cerberus HQ, the option is greyed out until the end. You can only quicksave. Could explain why they put you back on the Normandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There is an interesting story over on Kotaku about possible mentions of the 'god-child' in the first Mass Effect.

Story

Thats a great read josie, would be great if we dlc to explore that plant to find the crypt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Herrick wrote: »
    Just saw a funny comment of YT :D

Protheans - Bioware
    Reapers - EA
    Collectors - Bioware after EA bought them.

EA Reaper: "The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware is not the first. By utilizing our funding game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zillah wrote: »
    EA Reaper: "The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware is not the first. By utilizing our funding game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it."
    It's a pity this won't get post of the day because it deserves it, nearly wet myself laughing at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Reading through Reddit and saw one or two comments, I'll paste them. It would have made more sense for this to have been the end,

"The ending was unprecedented, though. It was a last minute rewrite, even the most recent script leak had the origional ending of "dark energy is causing the stars to burn out faster (talis first mission in ME2, multiple planet surveys in ME1) and the reapers were harvesting major civilizations in order to preserve their consciousness so they could help solve the mystery. The team changed the ending last minute for unknown reasons which is why the new ending featured only shepard and starchild, all the other VAs had been paid and left."

Some other comment:

"Sorry to disappoint you but the original writer, Drew Karpyshyn, left after ME2. The setup was for Dark Energy to play an important role in the final game. He was replaced by a different writer who decided to ignore the setup in ME2 and instead go with star child makes the reapers kill everyone to save everyone. "

Some random guys. I don't know the truth of the matter but it's not too encouraging that they might have decided to free wheel some BS over giving a proper conclusion. And then shovel dlc at us? EA may have really ruined the ending in straight up fashion assuming it was due to their involvement/greed.

Even if the "Shephard Indoctrination" theory isn't true I hope they seize it as an opportunity to release a rewritten ending and just pretend like they meant to all along.

Incidentally, has anyone seen any kind of rebuttal to the "indoctrination" ending?
    It seems to make more sense than Bioware completely and inexplicably having their brains fall out of their heads while writing it.

I meant to post it a few days ago as it popped into my head but I was thinking of that dark energy mission in ME 2 and really thought it would pop up again in ME 3. I'd say ea/bioware will never admit that a new writer came in and just changed it around willy nilly. Sucks if true though.

Can't believe so many people want to change the ending completely in this Bioware poll. http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user=662323&poll_id=30859

Shouldn't change it completely at this point, I wouldn't mind some clarification though.

1. Keep the current Mass Effect 3 ending as is.

4%(19 votes)

2. Clarify the current Mass Effect 3 ending via optional DLC.

18%(94 votes)

3. Change the premise of the Mass Effect 3 ending via optional DLC.

78%(404 votes)

It was a dissapointing ending but people are idiots and regardless of what ending there was, most would still be unhappy and find something to bitch about.

It was a dissapointing ending but people are idiots and regardless of what ending there was, most would still be unhappy and find something to bitch about.

The only things people could find to bitch about in the first game was the Mako and the lift, which was a loading screen. A loading screen!

There is nothing to bitch about in the second. Superb. I think some people didn't like planet scanning.

Minor complaints, next to negligible. And it's still agreed that 3 is pretty good right up until the very end where everything completely falls apart. I think you're giving fans a rep we don't deserve. Calling everyone idiots willy nilly isn't constructive at all. Your post might be something close to what the guy thought that decided to go with this Starchild stuff.
    I think the overwhelming response to the ending has been fairly measured and intelligent, right up to the indoctrination theories and possible alternatives. No idiots here, loyal and disappointed fans.

• Advertisement

I think this article gets it spot on.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Genius from that article.

ME3yodawg.jpg

Great great article from IGN :eek:

Anyway, my favourite pic from that is just so true!

mass-effect-your-choices-matter1.jpg

or another one

3obbo7.jpg

I know it likely would never have happened, but it would have been cool if you had picked renegade options throughout all three games and you were given the option at the very end to decide, "f*ck the Universe, let them burn".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shryke wrote: »
    The only things people could find to bitch about in the first game was the Mako and the lift, which was a loading screen. A loading screen!

There is nothing to bitch about in the second. Superb. I think some people didn't like planet scanning.
    Nothing? Beyond chat options? infinite respawn enemies? The planet scanning being about as fun as hitting your balls with a hammer (and a few of us actually liked the Mako)? The replacement Mako wannabe airship? The included ammo setup (which served no purpose as all was of one type and replenished all guns) etc.

There were plenty of things to bitch about compared to the first one (which was superior in my book)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Nody wrote: »
    Nothing? Beyond chat options? infinite respawn enemies? The planet scanning being about as fun as hitting your balls with a hammer (and a few of us actually liked the Mako)? The replacement Mako wannabe airship? The included ammo setup (which served no purpose as all was of one type and replenished all guns) etc.

There were plenty of things to bitch about compared to the first one (which was superior in my book)...
    There was also plenty of things to bitch about in the first one;

1. clunky combat
    2. nonsensical cover system
    3. Crazy Inventory system
    4. Omni gel
    5. Dodgy Checkpoint system
    6. Texture pop in
    7. Using Sniper Rifles (was Shepard permanantly drunk in ME1?)
    8. ME 1 Did the infinite respawn enemies thing too remember?

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

I'm not saying ME 1 wasnt a great game, it was, but ME2 is much much tighter gameplay wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gbear wrote: »

Jesus, reading that makes me mad all over again.

Wtf were they thinking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Meesared wrote: »
    There was also plenty of things to bitch about in the first one;

1. clunky combat
    2. nonsensical cover system
    3. Crazy Inventory system
    4. Omni gel
    5. Dodgy Checkpoint system
    6. Texture pop in
    7. Using Sniper Rifles (was Shepard permanantly drunk in ME1?)
    8. ME 1 Did the infinite respawn enemies thing too remember?

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

I'm not saying ME 1 wasnt a great game, it was, but ME2 is much much tighter gameplay wise.

Whoa, I can't let some of this go with out commenting.

1. The combat is still clunky as hell...
    3. Gimme back that inventory system any day
    4. Remember the old days when you could just throw Omni Gel at everything.
    6. Texture pop in, ME2 and ME3 are just as guilty as ME1 for this.
    8. Never noticed an infinite spawn in any of the games.

ME1 is a flawed masterpiece, ME2 and ME3 are both great games, but nothing compared to the epicness that was ME1, this is mainly due to the ME2 and ME3 being dumbed down for the masses.

Sorry I just love ME1...

Nody wrote: »

I mentioned planet scanning, didn't I?
    Chat options? Plenty of those and great fun.
    I also enjoyed the Mako. There is very little I didn't enjoy. I loved the lift sequences too. The little chats between characters were brilliant.

The ammo setup... hitting your balls with a hammer... wtf is this?

• Advertisement

I've been thinking and I'd be reasonably happy if Shepard would have been given the option to just step back and let things progress. In all endings, Mankind wins, essentially. If Shepard decides to take control, the Reapers leave. If he s/he decides to kill the Reapers, the Geth dies too but Mankind survives. In the synthesis ending, they survive somewhat.

Throughout the game(s), we see many of the bad sides of the Universe and Shepard has to make some damned tough decisions. What if, at the end, s/he decides that the Universe just isn't worth saving and steps back. It could have been available if you had chosen all renegade options.

Advertisement